Author Topic: Level 6 Psychic Warrior Help  (Read 1779 times)

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Level 6 Psychic Warrior Help
« on: October 01, 2008, 08:41:03 PM »
Alright, I'm DMing a game for my little brother and some of his friends. Now, as you might imagine, just starting out with D&D, they aren't the most impressive optimizers ever. My little brother decided that he wants to play a Psychic Warrior, to which I had no objections. However, then I realized how little I truly know about Psy Wars.

They're starting at level 6 and I'm not really restricting material (of course, this just means I'm the one scouring through all the splatbooks and such). So far, here's where I'm at:

Draconic Maenad (LA buyoff - the race was his choice, so I allowed it) on 32pb:
Str 14 +2 racial +1 level
Dex 13
Con 14 +2 racial
Int 13
Wis 16
Cha 8 +2 racial

Feats:
Power Attack
Combat Expertise
Improved Trip
Overchannel
Talented
Linked Power

Initially he was fighting with his natural weapons, but he stated he found it underpowered, and wanted to try a "claymore" (I offered him a Greatsword for that) instead. His powers I can't remember right off the bat (I don't have the sheet here with me right now), but I think they are:

-Expansion
-Offensive Prescience
-Bite of the Wolf
-Dimensional Hop
-Hustle
and something. He's got 22 PP at the present.

Anyways, in addition to the optimality of the build, I'd (or rather, he would) need help with some instructions on how to use his power points. Probably one round of linked buffs at the beginning of the combat, but I don't think he can afford to augment Expansion yet, for example (but don't know, never having played a Psy War myself). Since they have no idea how many encounters they've got daily, how much would you spend as a Psy War per combat? Also, suggestions on equipment would be awesome - at the present, he's just got a Full Plate, Mw. Greatsword, some Str bonus belt, a Healing Belt and such, leaving his AC a bit lacking. Are there any psionic items I'm not aware of that would kick ass for him?

The two remaining party members are:
-Feral (toned down - dropped the stat bonuses a bit and made the NA bonus +2 instead of +6) Wood Elf Totemist/Warblade/Swordsage focused on natural attacks (melds Girallon Arms and Sphinx Claws every day) and boosts, along with damage increasing stances (Punishing Stance, Giant Killing Style).
-Strongheart Halfling Factotum focused on UMD, ranged combat (Str 5 (8-2 racial-1 age) with other stats being good - uses Longbow with the Int to Damage when not in the mood for Wands or Arcane Dilletante) and overall, support (he'll need to expand his Wand selection though - presently he just has a Wand of Grease) with Nymph's Kiss and a bunch of Font of Inspirations.

Oh yeah, and since I like the open skill system, but dislike the low amount of skills characters can learn, I gave every character 4 extra skills per level (with 16 extra on one). I don't think it's very relevant for the Psy War, but it's there if someone asks (so he gets 7 skills/level, not 3).

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
Re: Level 6 Psychic Warrior Help
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 09:27:10 PM »
With expansion and improved trip you're going to want a reach weapon with the ability to make trip attacks, so either a spiked chain or a guisarme if you don't want to burn the feat.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 09:29:20 PM »
How are these guys doing with these mega-characters? Did you make them? Those are some rather solid builds there.

That Psychic warrior looks good, but Why oh why does he only have 14 strength? Or are those posted before adjustments? Anyway, he looks alright, Expansion is really the best power there is. If he gets some strongarm(?) bracers, he'll be swinging a 6d6 greatsword, which is rather respectable.

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 10:01:49 PM »

awaken DM golem

• Organ Grinder
  • PAO'd my Avatar
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »
Looks to me like:

Feral - Frontliner with various tactics
PsyWar - Co-frontliner for 1 combat w/ Bite+O.P Overchannel, to bailout Feral
PsyWar - Trip barrier for backliner for 2 combats, no bite/o.p.
PsyWar - Hustle Linked Dimension Hop , to bailout backliner during 1 combat
Factotum - Backliner fires away with whatever

Likely, the PsyWar runs out of powerpoints, so these tactics are relative positions
during any given combat. If 4 encounters, then 22/4 pp per encounter. Careful !!

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 09:41:26 PM »
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:43:20 PM by Eldariel »