Author Topic: We need a contingency plan!!  (Read 3134 times)

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
We need a contingency plan!!
« on: September 30, 2008, 09:52:12 PM »
hey all.

I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions as to what the best contingency spells are?

I keep thinking and thinking and thinking for good spells but it just won't come.  what are your personal favorites for contingencies?

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: We need a contingency plan!!
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 10:15:14 PM »
Things I generally use (depends on what I percieve as a threat and what the contingency is for):
-Teleport/Dimension Door/Plane Shift/any sort of relocation spell
-Spell Immunity/Globe of Invulnerability/other "counterspell"-capable spells

It's a bit blurry with what can be used - those should work though. Generally though, a teleportation-effect attached to a command word (that you speak as a free action) is the way to go - you can avoid most problems simply by not being there.

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 11:30:20 PM »
Contingent Last Breath is nice if you don't mind being a crappy race until the next time you die and have another chance to be reincarnated. Sometimes it's nice to get RIGHT BACK IN the game.

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 08:21:20 PM »
So far i used the free action teleport, althought the DM has a weird fascination for anti teleportation fields that span entire continents....

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2008, 08:55:06 PM »
Well, unless they also have Dimensional Anchor-effects, Plane Shift could work (it's only in the legal Contingency-range for Clerics though...). A handy way around teleport restrictions is simple "Greater Slide" - it only moves you 20', but mostly that should be enough and it's specifically movement, not teleportation, so anti-teleport fields are of little trouble. You could argue that "Wall of Force around me affects me", but that won't probably fly (Contingency has the "has to affect your person"-limitation). Stuff like Mirror Image and company is pretty much obsoleted by the fact that Greater Mirror Image is already an Immediate Action to cast.

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2008, 06:31:41 PM »
GOD

MY REPLY GOT DELETED

Neways

I was asking you guys if we should make a list about the best Contingency:

I like:

On death: True res
On death: Teleport home base
and the Command word: teleport is amazing too.

What are yours

D-End

Caelic

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2008, 06:40:25 PM »
The problem with True Res as a Contingency for death is that if the condition that killed you still persists, you're going to die again.  If you've fallen into lava, being resurrected isn't going to help much; ditto if you've been eaten by a dragon.

Better to get yourself out of the situation and back to your stronghold--where you ensure measures have been taken to ensure your resurrection.  ("If my dead body turns up in the parlor, run and get the High Priest of Pelor.")

TheEndIsNear

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 06:47:08 PM »
Ahh smart,

Thats why the teleport is for but I was kinda expecting that not to work...

But I like the Feel of if my body is on the monument in the center of my town, res me:P

Nice

D-End

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2008, 08:37:16 PM »
Let's not forget something here.

While craft contingency is a nice feat, most DM's will not accept it duh to it's innate borkedness.

We are, at least i am, speaking of the level 6 spell Contigency, and that spell has very restrictive features:

[spoiler]Contingency
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 6
Components: V, S, M, F
Casting Time: At least 10 minutes; see text
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: One day/level (D) or until discharged

You can place another spell upon your person so that it comes into effect under some condition you dictate when casting contingency. The contingency spell and the companion spell are cast at the same time. The 10-minute casting time is the minimum total for both castings; if the companion spell has a casting time longer than 10 minutes, use that instead.

The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level). Whenever any harm is aimed at me or at the zone I am standing in: time stop.  It kinda gives you a lot (thought foresight, celerity, timestop is just as good).

Keep em coming in guys.

I'll give props to aftercrescent for this one:

Whenever I am the targer of any harm: etherealness, swift.

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2008, 08:41:36 PM »
So minotaurs are never flat-footed.  Is there any way to get that ability on our spellcaster without being a minotaur?  If so I'd just have the contingency trigger be: When I cast Feather Fall (or any other immediate action low level spell).  Never being flat-footed means you can always respond and trigger your own contingency without having to resort to specifying some subset of rules.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 08:49:59 PM »
Cunning (see Weapons of Legacy), Foresight (core). Uncanny Dodge would work except that I don't believe it allows for Immediate actions, just not getting sneak attacked and such.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2008, 08:53:04 PM »
Foresight doesn't last long enough.  Uncanny dodge doesn't prevent you from being flatfooted; it just preserves your Dex to AC.  Cunning, eh?  Why would any Wizard be without Contingency, Feather Fall and a cunning weapon?

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2008, 08:56:17 PM »
Foresight doesn't last long enough.  Uncanny dodge doesn't prevent you from being flatfooted; it just preserves your Dex to AC.  Cunning, eh?  Why would any Wizard be without Contingency, Feather Fall and a cunning weapon?

Doesn't know the trick, does know it but DM banned for whatever reason... Other than that...
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Eldariel

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2008, 09:13:04 PM »
Contingency is one spell people often seem to not actually have read. Important points in bold:

"You can place another spell upon your person so that it comes into effect under some condition you dictate when casting contingency. The contingency spell and the companion spell are cast at the same time. The 10-minute casting time is the minimum total for both castings; if the companion spell has a casting time longer than 10 minutes, use that instead.

The spell to be brought into effect by the contingency must be one that affects your person and be of a spell level no higher than one-third your caster level (rounded down, maximum 6th level)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2008, 09:44:54 PM by Eldariel »

Alastar

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2008, 10:21:38 PM »
I ninjaed you 4 posts back :)

Abberant Mark of .... something...( stars i think) from eberon prevents you from being surprised.

I have looked long and hard into the books of D&D with SDK to find something to not be surprised.

But even then, what could possibly be a good spell to cast as an immediate action that isnt celerity.

Basically, I think the main attraction towards contingency is that it doesn't have to even BE an action, it allows you to react instantly, even if you don't have an immediate to use, to any threat, if you can be smart enough to word it and use it correctly.

It is a spell best used in conjunction with personal or touch spells that have a very low duration, like 1 round, or 1/round level, at 10 minutes/level, you're just losing it's potential, I think.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2008, 04:06:02 AM »
That restriction on the spell Contingency is not a restriction in Craft Contingent Spell.