Author Topic: Arhosa Recruiting and Campaign Setting  (Read 27459 times)

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
Re: Arhosa Recruiting and Campaign Setting
« Reply #120 on: October 04, 2008, 04:04:06 AM »
Ohhhhhh, I could make a very good Mordred.  The fall, and the betrayal.  But no conflict inside of a party!
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: October 04, 2008, 04:19:44 AM »
That's the part that doesn't fit. Evil characters generally aren't very chivalrous or egalitarian, so while he'd fit in to start, once the conflict starts things get ugly.

Anyway, if Nanshork goes with the uber-skilled build and joins up with you, it wouldn't matter that my sneak didn't have many skills or trapfinding. Though, I was considering at some point taking a level or two of rogue, or some other class with trapfinding and/or other roguish class features. Depends on where I ultimately take the character.

If I stick with an overall Swordsage build, I've found going with the stealthy build or a Diamond Mind build (which I've started building for kicks) seem the most appealing.

On the other hand, I'm doing something with swordsage in my SoA character, so I'm definitely open to trying something else. On the one hand, the difference in Discipline focus makes for different flavors, but on the other, there's a lot more out there.

Any ideas? Any roles you want filled?

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: October 04, 2008, 04:25:45 AM »
No matter what I think I've decided to either form my own group or to join the Camelot wannabe's.  Just don't have anything that fits with a viking theme in my head.

Edit: Or start a cult with X-Codes.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 04:27:40 AM by Nanshork »
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: October 04, 2008, 04:53:51 AM »
No matter what I think I've decided to either form my own group or to join the Camelot wannabe's.  Just don't have anything that fits with a viking theme in my head.

Teaming up with X-Codes and his Cult might give you a start on a fallen paladin. You two could be forced together, and over a bit of time he could corrupt you enough to start you down the rest of your character path.

If that's the character you most wanted to play.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #124 on: October 04, 2008, 05:16:13 AM »
That's the part that doesn't fit. Evil characters generally aren't very chivalrous or egalitarian, so while he'd fit in to start, once the conflict starts things get ugly.

Anyway, if Nanshork goes with the uber-skilled build and joins up with you, it wouldn't matter that my sneak didn't have many skills or trapfinding. Though, I was considering at some point taking a level or two of rogue, or some other class with trapfinding and/or other roguish class features. Depends on where I ultimately take the character.

If I stick with an overall Swordsage build, I've found going with the stealthy build or a Diamond Mind build (which I've started building for kicks) seem the most appealing.

On the other hand, I'm doing something with swordsage in my SoA character, so I'm definitely open to trying something else. On the one hand, the difference in Discipline focus makes for different flavors, but on the other, there's a lot more out there.

If you want to play an untraditional stealth character with Trapfinding, the Beguiler is right up your alley.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: October 04, 2008, 05:32:21 AM »

Teaming up with X-Codes and his Cult might give you a start on a fallen paladin. You two could be forced together, and over a bit of time he could corrupt you enough to start you down the rest of your character path.

Not sure which one I most want to play really.  I also got ahold of a copy of Untapped Potential today and am contemplating a psionic character.
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: October 04, 2008, 06:11:17 AM »

If you want to play an untraditional stealth character with Trapfinding, the Beguiler is right up your alley.

I've played a Beguiler, so I'm comfortable with it, but I'm also not sure of where to take it. I set the last one up for Shadowcraft Mage, though I never got the chance to get there.

If I went with it, I'd have to take it all the way, I couldn't really just dip with it (though having just a few illusion spells and such can be useful. Just not a very optimized dip).

Beguiler is pretty much a perfect fit for ScM, so it seems the likeliest choice if I took that path. Beguiler's very good for non-combat options, and takes smart moves to avoid getting into combat. ScM definitely expands the usefulness, but isn't available until much later. I definitely like the Beguiler, though I'm still not sure.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #127 on: October 04, 2008, 06:15:00 AM »
Vikings are an example, not the catch-all.

We're starting as a low level gang and going to build a power base. Then eventually, assuming that works, we'll take over a region and eventually build a tyrannical empire. ;)
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: October 04, 2008, 06:59:04 AM »
Vikings are an example, not the catch-all.

We're starting as a low level gang and going to build a power base. Then eventually, assuming that works, we'll take over a region and eventually build a tyrannical empire. ;)

Ahh, in that case my evil spell-slinging monk would work in your group just fine.  I just need to pick a character concept.  :-\
Notes to self

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #129 on: October 04, 2008, 07:05:59 AM »

Dude, that's it!  If you've played WC3, then we could be like Arthas and Kel'Thuzad!... well, except for the you killing me part.  That would kinda bite, especially if I had to take the Lich template.

Anyway, when it comes to a build I'm guessing I'm just going to go with the simplest course of action to get what I want: Skald 20 with 13 Wisdom and Arcane Disciple (Undeath).  Requiem to empower the devouring horde and a fallen paladin to champion the cause!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 07:11:14 AM by X-Codes »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #130 on: October 04, 2008, 06:11:50 PM »

Dude, that's it!  If you've played WC3, then we could be like Arthas and Kel'Thuzad!... well, except for the you killing me part.  That would kinda bite, especially if I had to take the Lich template.

Anyway, when it comes to a build I'm guessing I'm just going to go with the simplest course of action to get what I want: Skald 20 with 13 Wisdom and Arcane Disciple (Undeath).  Requiem to empower the devouring horde and a fallen paladin to champion the cause!

If that is what happens, we need a reason as to why a Paladin is hanging out with you in the first place.  I want five levels of paladin after all.  :P
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: October 04, 2008, 06:47:06 PM »
That's all RP (and DM provision). As I said before, some event could force you two to travel together. During this travel, X-Codes would no doubt find some way to get you to break your Paladin's Code (perhaps some other event provided by Strato).

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2008, 02:32:29 AM »
So, anyway, it seems that if AJ's going for a Cha-based caster, that we won't really need another caster such as a Beguiler. On the other hand, we don't have much source of healing. TWS's Skald could learn healing spells, though he won't be able to cast those while raging. I started considering trying to develop a version of the Duskblade with the same spell progression and instead of channeling spells through its blade, it could simulataneously cast one of its healing spells on a nearby ally.

Then of course, I found that that's just about exactly what the Devoted Spirit discipline's maneuvers are about.  :o

The problem is that I don't particularly like the Crusader's class features, and the random access to maneuvers seems like a bit of a turn off.

I could go with the SWV Ranger, and in doing so I could have the sort of divine sneak character I've been trying to build for quite a while. I know the Ranger is like that already, shut up!

Has anyone here played the Crusader? Does the randomness get in the way, or does it end up making a fine feature?

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2008, 02:40:51 AM »
Actually, I can cast spells in a rage. Skald Rage doesn't have the restriction.
I have a Healing Belt (750 gp, MIC) for most healing needs, but I don't know and don't intend to learn any healing spells.
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2008, 03:10:31 AM »
Beguiler would be sneaky in a way my character won't be.

Also, don't let the Cha-based caster thing fool you. My character is likely to be less diplomacy oriented than defender oriented (i.e., I defend the people more than I am an ambassador).

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2008, 03:14:11 AM »
Actually, I can cast spells in a rage. Skald Rage doesn't have the restriction.
I have a Healing Belt (750 gp, MIC) for most healing needs, but I don't know and don't intend to learn any healing spells.

Ah, I see now. Didn't pay attention to all the features, haha. Anyway, as you said, you don't plan on using your limited spell selection on Healing spells, so the group could use some healing abilities.

I like the idea of healing while fighting, and going with most dedicated healing classes or classes with dedicated healing abilities (like Lay on Hands, Touch of Vitality, etc.) can't be standing in the front lines while also healing, since most are touch spells.
Beguiler would be sneaky in a way my character won't be.

Also, don't let the Cha-based caster thing fool you. My character is likely to be less diplomacy oriented than defender oriented (i.e., I defend the people more than I am an ambassador).

Well, which do we need more, healing or stealth? SWV Ranger would do both, though.  :P

Also, how do you plan on being a defense-oriented character and a caster? Haven't seen any build ideas of your's yet.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2008, 03:18:20 AM by VennDygrem »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2008, 03:20:28 AM »
I am not too sure how TWS is going to play his Skald. If he is going scout style, then we have the Spot and Sneak sections covered. If he is going something else, we would need one of those.

I would think that Healing would be pretty secondary. It depends. I will be having a cohort of some sort, and if we live until level 6, we'll have a Level 4 Druid on our side.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2008, 03:50:16 AM »
I posted my sheet a little back. I have spot and listen covered, but not sneak.
If you want to go Ranger (not sure what "SWV" means), Venn, there's a class substitution level that lets you trade your Track for trapfinding, something our group currently lacks.
Currently playing:
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2008, 03:59:11 AM »
I posted my sheet a little back. I have spot and listen covered, but not sneak.
If you want to go Ranger (not sure what "SWV" means), Venn, there's a class substitution level that lets you trade your Track for trapfinding, something our group currently lacks.
SWV = Sublime Way Variant

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2008, 04:13:21 AM »
I see, excellent
Currently playing: