Author Topic: Arhosa Recruiting and Campaign Setting  (Read 27461 times)

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Arhosa Recruiting and Campaign Setting
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2008, 06:43:52 AM »
I'm just happy I've been noticed!

Ok, seriously, we've got a country ravaged by the empire falling, wars breaking out between provinces, and bandits running wild, and NOBODY wants to start a Cult of the Damned with me!?

Cult of the Damned would be rather interesting, but what are the long term goals? Kill everyone? Make them all zombies?
Didn't think that far through, honestly... I've just been wanting to play this idea for a Bardic Necromancer for a while, but the precise execution of said plan is giving me trouble.  The idea of giving a horde of undead Inspire Courage bonuses is appealing to me, but actually getting Animate Dead is a problem.  The only really good option I see is the same, old Bard 8/Virtuoso 2/SC 2/Virtuoso 8.

Perhaps I should just wait and see what other people come up with in terms of nations.  Maybe something will inspire me to change my ways.

...of course, a decaying world without a Cult of the Damned seems...empty.

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2008, 07:48:03 AM »
I'm just happy I've been noticed!

Ok, seriously, we've got a country ravaged by the empire falling, wars breaking out between provinces, and bandits running wild, and NOBODY wants to start a Cult of the Damned with me!?

Cult of the Damned would be rather interesting, but what are the long term goals? Kill everyone? Make them all zombies?
Didn't think that far through, honestly... I've just been wanting to play this idea for a Bardic Necromancer for a while, but the precise execution of said plan is giving me trouble.  The idea of giving a horde of undead Inspire Courage bonuses is appealing to me, but actually getting Animate Dead is a problem.  The only really good option I see is the same, old Bard 8/Virtuoso 2/SC 2/Virtuoso 8.

Perhaps I should just wait and see what other people come up with in terms of nations.  Maybe something will inspire me to change my ways.

...of course, a decaying world without a Cult of the Damned seems...empty.

Easy enough, just go Dread Necro and take Leadership. You'll be maxing your Cha, so your Leadership score should be pretty good, and you'll have some survivability and a ton of undead minions. Your cohort can be a bard. An eeeeeeeevil bard! Or, even better, your cohort could be a Sublime Way Variant Marshal, as I suggested to AJ earlier, for auras and white raven's ally-boosting maneuvers.

As for me, I'm thinking of going with a Dark Lesser-Zenythri Unarmed Swordsage 3, making a pretty darn good infiltrator/spy for hire, and getting a boost to my two key stats. There are a few roguish skills/abilities I'd be lacking, but what I'd lack there, I'd gain in awesome stealthy maneuvers. I could always choose to pursue Shadowsun Ninja, but I'd have to find some way to counteract that 10th level ability if I took it that far (otherwise I could just take it part way instead of until 10).

I could technically join any group that way, though if I were to join X-Codes' evil, undead cult group, or the Bandits, I wouldn't be able to pursue SSN (not a huge loss, really).

This is just one possible path, of course. There are several options!

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2008, 08:56:04 AM »
Marleath: Buried underground, in deep subterranean crypts, the kingdom of the Marleath thrived and grew, constantly digging and creating new buildings and tunnels. Armed with an array of dead servitors, raised from the body of every citizen of the city who passed the age of fifty, only the Patriarch Ve Angau stood eternal, a cold and restless Lich, who felt no love for the living, and viewed them as broodcattle to birth more to be slain. The kingdom resides under the northwest core of the empire, forbidding and difficult to reach, hidden and guarded by the unliving monsters.

^^ There's the perfect cult of the damned land.

And btw AC, I'm going to horribly outvote you on the NWN issue, since I've spent 5-6 years programming for it :P

And Shadowhunter, that looks fine. Which group are you with though?
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2008, 03:52:01 PM »
Ah, something I should toss out there: I'm completely open to custom content or 3rd party material, provided that I get to vet said material before it gets used. I write enough of my own, it's not really fair to block others from using theirs.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2008, 04:20:59 PM »
There still an open slot or two?  I'd love to join, this seems like it could be a lot of fun. 

Teir 2-3 eh?  I'd probably be interested in playing a completely skill based character (Changeling Rogue 1/Factotum 9/ Exemplar 10), or a Chronomancer. 
My babies - A thread of random builds I've come up with over the years.
Notes to self

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2008, 04:23:39 PM »
Right now, there's no upper limit on players. Feel free to join up, try starting your own group or hanging on to one of the three already in existence (Bandits, King Arthur, Cult of the Damned).

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2008, 04:32:41 PM »
Well, do any of the existing groups want to try and recruit Mr. Skills or a Chronomancer?

Edit: And what roles are filled in the different groups?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 05:06:24 PM by Nanshork »
Notes to self

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2008, 04:57:15 PM »
don't forget that your base Breath Weapon Damage will be in d8s rather than d6s because of the Dragon Spirit Cincture. That won't extend to the bonus damage, I believe.

You're partially right.
At least my version of the MiC say it adds a die, not increases die size. So my base is 3d6, +1 for DSC.
Entangling E. halves it to 2d6+1d6 each turn after that, I missread it and thought the bonus damage kicked in at the same time as the rest of the damage.
So it should be:
Normal damage 4d6
EE. 2d6, +1d6 for d4 rounds.

And Stratoviarius, I'm with King Arthur.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2008, 05:17:53 PM »
The Cult of the Damned is, as of yet, hazy and insubstantial.  Whats more, it seems that I'm the only person looking to start one.  Perhaps undead should be a more peripheral feature of the group where the core is stealing souls and selling them to demons for power and influence.  Perhaps even recruiting a few specific ones along with capturing slaves and starting a little liquid pain factory.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2008, 05:31:13 PM »
It's not a vote, strato. You're all entitled to your poorly constructed opinion. ;)

But for those interested, Ejo is playing Mr. Unlucky, a Cha focused intimidator, with a secondary skill focus. I'm playing a totem rager with a focus on tearing shit apart. :D  All who want to pillage, plunder, and rape the innocent are welcome to come along. :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2008, 06:16:25 PM »
It's not a vote, strato. You're all entitled to your poorly constructed opinion. ;)

But for those interested, Ejo is playing Mr. Unlucky, a Cha focused intimidator, with a secondary skill focus. I'm playing a totem rager with a focus on tearing shit apart. :D  All who want to pillage, plunder, and rape the innocent are welcome to come along. :D

Well if I join your group I won't be playing an adjusted Frozen Brawler build then.  Don't need two people with a focus of tearing shit apart.  :P
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2008, 06:23:16 PM »
don't forget that your base Breath Weapon Damage will be in d8s rather than d6s because of the Dragon Spirit Cincture. That won't extend to the bonus damage, I believe.

You're partially right.
At least my version of the MiC say it adds a die, not increases die size. So my base is 3d6, +1 for DSC.
Entangling E. halves it to 2d6+1d6 each turn after that, I missread it and thought the bonus damage kicked in at the same time as the rest of the damage.
So it should be:
Normal damage 4d6
EE. 2d6, +1d6 for d4 rounds.

And Stratoviarius, I'm with King Arthur.

Quote from: Magic Item Compendium, pg. 95
While you wear a dragon spirit cincture, your breath weapon damage is increased by one die (or by 1 point if your breath weapon doesn't deal  damage expressed in dice).

I always interpreted it to be similar to Improved Natural Attack, moving it up a die (or die step). However, I can see how it can be interpreted in multiple ways. I guess in this case it's up to Strato to adjudicate.

So,
Well, do any of the existing groups want to try and recruit Mr. Skills or a Chronomancer?

Edit: And what roles are filled in the different groups?

So far, AJ's Arthurian group has a Skald and a DfA, and AJ is unsure exactly of his character. I think he said he wanted to play a caster of some sort, particularly a Cha-related caster.

The Bandits, AfterCrescent and EjoThims, are going by Viking standards of Decimation and Plunder.
(Seems this one was answered while I was writing)

I'm currently planning out a stealth-oriented Swordsage (focusing on Setting Sun and Shadow Hand, primarily), going with a Dark templated Lesser Zenythri to get more sneak-oriented abilities and bonuses to Dex and Wis, though I'd be open to Whisper Gnome for uber-sneaking. I'm not in any of the groups yet. The only skills I'm good at though are hiding, moving quietly, tumbling, Jumping, balancing, and sensing motives.
----

I've also planned out a few other builds focusing on other disciplines, none of which focus on stealth. I'm familiar with stealthy characters, and it seems fun, but I want to keep my options open.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 09:54:31 PM by VennDygrem »

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2008, 06:36:05 PM »
In 2 and a half hours I'll be home from work, and will have all of my theoretical build outlines available.  I don't think I'm going to go Chronomancer, want something I'm more familiar with.
Notes to self

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2008, 11:12:37 PM »
...too many options, and there are some that don't fit with either group, might have to join the cult or make my own group altogether...
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #114 on: October 04, 2008, 12:16:42 AM »
...too many options, and there are some that don't fit with either group, might have to join the cult or make my own group altogether...

What are the options? I'm not in a group either, and I think there might be one or two others who were interested in the game but weren't in groups.

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: October 04, 2008, 01:04:21 AM »

What are the options? I'm not in a group either, and I think there might be one or two others who were interested in the game but weren't in groups.

Let me look through some third party stuff that I have and I'll make a list of my options.
Notes to self

Nanshork

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • BOO!
    • Email
« Reply #116 on: October 04, 2008, 02:07:45 AM »
Edit: Ideas. 

Changeling Rogue 1/ Factotum 9/ Exemplar 10.  Ultimate skill user, Knowledge Devotion will help in combat.
Illumian Monk 2/ Warlock 3/ Ur-Priest 2/ Sacred Fist 10/ Enlightened Fist 3.  Lots of monk goodies, some invocations, and good spells.  No DMM cheese.
Human Monk 4/ Paladin 6/ Argent Fist 10.  Fairly self-explanatory.
Human Paladin 5/ Boneknight 10/ Blackguard 5.  Could take Undead Leadership, could be quite interesting.  I'd have to RP the fall though since we're starting at 4th.
                    In reference to this, Stratovarius I have a question.  Does my Skeletal Steed have an Int score, and thus feats?

That's all I can think of for now.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 03:05:54 AM by Nanshork »
Notes to self

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: October 04, 2008, 03:10:54 AM »
Eh, I'm looking through all of my books and I'm not sure just what I want to be.  Hopefully I'll figure out something tonight.

Well, I've been having the same problem. I'm not a huge fan of playing full-casters, despite being able to do just about anything, as I've got more experience playing more . I'm also trying to find something that can be "moderately optimized" so I can match the power-level of everyone else. Thirdly, I want something that's fun to play. Not necessarily in that order.

Also, gotta try and find something that fits in the world. It does seem moderately open-ended, for what it's worth.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #118 on: October 04, 2008, 03:27:20 AM »
Nonshork, if you're wanting to RP your fall, might I point out that Team Arthur is still without a Mordred?
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #119 on: October 04, 2008, 03:28:11 AM »
The 'Arthur' group is egalitarian in nature. We don't give a toss who you are or the like. We only care what your actions are. So if you are a half-way decent person at heart, and can at least respect the tenets of chivalry, honour and compassion, then we would be happy to accept you into our fold.

Right now, my vision (don't know about the others) is a place with lots of snow and ice, a lot like the setting of Beowulf, Sigfried and Brunahild, and Ring of the Nibelung. It will be a frontier type of place and the people will reflect that. Hunters, scouts, warriors, rangers, etc., would be fairly common, and druids and shamans would be more numerous than arcane casters or clerics of non-nature gods. Undead will be used whenever required. In fact, I would think that to have one's ancestors raised to help with either defending the nation or helping it in its time of need would be a source of pride for the people.

My character would be either NG or LG, and a Cha-based caster with a twist. What the twist will be will depend on Strato approving my build concept. I will be submitting it either tonight or tomorrow.

But whatever it is, Venn, I am pretty sure you'd be welcome whatever you play. You will be judged on your actions, not what you are.

Yeah, Nanshork. What TWS said is a doable concept.