Author Topic: Arhosa Recruiting and Campaign Setting  (Read 27526 times)

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: Arhosa Recruiting and Campaign Setting
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2008, 03:22:06 AM »
There are Strato's own custom made classes (and not the crazy ones) like the Elementalist that you can look at.

Also, AJ, did you read his initial post. Optimization - "Moderate is the goal"

Cloistered Cleric/Dwk is anything BUT moderate. :P
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2008, 03:42:31 AM »
The DN also has a problem of 2sp/level. Grr... At the rate this is going, Cloistered Cleric Dweomerkeeper is looking more and more attractive...

So, you'll be joining us in building Avalon?

Well, he said there's going to be two-person groups to start, so who knows where inter-group cooperation rests at, haha.

Also, seeing as it's gone unsaid, am I to assume this world is humans-only for PCs, or is it open? Just want to get an idea of where to start.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2008, 03:48:59 AM by VennDygrem »

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2008, 03:52:01 AM »
There are Strato's own custom made classes (and not the crazy ones) like the Elementalist that you can look at.

It is if you don't run Wish or infinite money abuse. Seriously, Dwk is only really nasty if you work at it. Personally, I only use it for DMM cost lowering and the mantle of spells thing.

Venn, he said "at least two"...

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2008, 03:57:48 AM »
It is if you don't run Wish or infinite money abuse. Seriously, Dwk is only really nasty if you work at it. Personally, I only use it for DMM cost lowering and the mantle of spells thing.
LOL. I'll let Strato deal with it if he decides it's an issue, but Dwk requires no optimization ability to break into tier 0. Clerics alone are tier 1 and above the normal moderation level. Dwk only improves that ;)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2008, 04:13:39 AM »

Venn, he said "at least two"...
Well I'll be darned. :o

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2008, 04:14:40 AM »
Not the way I tend to run Clerics. Evokers and healbots in one shiny package of big lump of hp, mainly.

Venn: *pulls out a needle and some thread*

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2008, 08:09:19 AM »
I'm only one, but still willing to play, so if another comes along in the same situation then coordination would be beneficial.  Given the world, it would be all the better if one didn't have an aversion to Undead.   :sh

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2008, 08:55:04 AM »
Ok, plenty to respond to over night:

There's at least 30 countries to start in, of which at least 2 are undead friendly. For an idea of what they'll be taken from, look at the flavour text here and here.

And yes, the party can be as many people in a single grouping as desired, although I'd probably cap it around 4-6.

The problem with a Dwk/Cleric is that stepping from Evoker and Healbot to DMM battlelord is only a matter of which spells you prepared in the morning. If the monsters are aimed at tier 2-3 Opti, you can crank it a tier or two beyond that when the situation arises. For either you or TWS, I'll toss out the Skald as a spellcasting leader type who's fully combat capable.

Any race is allowed (Except the abusive ones). It is a wide world after all.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2008, 10:43:06 AM »
I've added the first four starting areas, and added a few things I forgot to the rules post.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2008, 04:43:23 PM »

There's at least 30 countries to start in, of which at least 2 are undead friendly. For an idea of what they'll be taken from, look at the flavour text here and here.

And yes, the party can be as many people in a single grouping as desired, although I'd probably cap it around 4-6.

The problem with a Dwk/Cleric is that stepping from Evoker and Healbot to DMM battlelord is only a matter of which spells you prepared in the morning. If the monsters are aimed at tier 2-3 Opti, you can crank it a tier or two beyond that when the situation arises. For either you or TWS, I'll toss out the Skald as a spellcasting leader type who's fully combat capable.

Hmm... I was trying to avoid the Bard. I was aware of the UA version of the Skald, but discarded it because I don't see the guy a a singer somehow...

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2008, 06:02:52 PM »
Perform (Battlefield Commands)

Don't sing, AJ. Command!
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2008, 06:17:47 PM »
You're just asking for it, AC.

"Brave, brave, Sir Robin...!"

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »
I'm pretty sure that'll be my shtick...
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2008, 06:24:37 PM »

Hmm... I was trying to avoid the Bard. I was aware of the UA version of the Skald, but discarded it because I don't see the guy a a singer somehow...
The UA version, the so-called "Bardarian", was actually listed under recommended Gestalt rules. Strato's version is essentially the same but not listed as a gestalt character, and has more spells/day. In fact, if this were a gestalt game, mixing the Skald with SWV Marshal would yield a pretty kick-ass leader. :D

Anyway, So from the sounds of it, you want to be a powerful Mage/melee-master/skill-monkey/leader, keyed off of charisma? Sounds like something with Bard is your best bet after all, and then you're still stepping on TWS's toes.

Strato's Proteus sounds like a strong second option, but it's keyed off of Int. But, it gets full BAB, bard spells/day off of the sorc/wiz spell list, sneak attack, and bonus fighter feats.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2008, 06:41:32 PM »
Yeah, my Skald, Proteus, and Feral Shifter are all classes made by ramming together 2 or 3 SRD base classes to make something different and yet still balanced (hopefully). There are a few more to be made in that manner, I think.

The rest of the classes are all just custom ideas.

There's always Perform (Epic Poetry) as well. Just have to be able to quote Beowulf and other northern tales at will.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2008, 06:50:44 PM »
Anyway, So from the sounds of it, you want to be a powerful Mage/melee-master/skill-monkey/leader, keyed off of charisma? Sounds like something with Bard is your best bet after all, and then you're still stepping on TWS's toes.
Actually, no. I am looking for someone who can cast based on Cha, and have Diplomacy and Bluff with more than 2 sp/level. The weapon and armour is just fluff and can be dropped :P

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2008, 07:01:06 PM »
I'd be interested in building Avalon :D

Got an idea about a mongrelfolk DFA who have met AJ's character and decided that this man/womans idea of a kingdom would be a great idea. Someone just and fair (you did say Arthur-style, AndyJames, so I take that liberty ;) ) to fight the bad things and build a legacy. Think the guy who've been through a lot of shit, found someone "better" (in the sense that you'll be Good and I'll be Neutral) than him which dream he's willing to bet his money on. The guy that would go to greater lenghts to achive this, for his "lords" sake (maybe not outright murder, but the man who considers more... desperate acts if the situation demands it). Note though that he would treat you as an equal and would probably never call you "sir" except in situations that require it (formal courts etc.).

Sounds like a plan?
(if nothing else, I was planning on maxing Sense Motive so you can have me around to tell when people are lying ;) )
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2008, 07:16:48 PM »
Shadowhunter, I have no problems with that. I am planning on a very egalitarian sort of place, where no one is automatically assumed to be Evil, not even using undead to do mundane stuff (not killing and looting), unless proven otherwise (I am not talking about modern court of law proving, though...).

I am also envisioning a place more like the Nordic legends than England. That is, snowy, longer winters, shorter summers, where the people are a hardy, gruff frontiersmen breed. Think Beowulf and Ring of the Nibelung, although probably not *that* freezing.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2008, 07:19:11 PM »
Bah, while AJ is over there preparing a land of peace and prosperity, Ejo and I will be over near Hauthar creating a Viking-esque raiding brigade turned conquering horde. :D
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2008, 07:23:37 PM »
I hope you like your troops coming back at you as skeletons or zombies...  :P

I am seriously considering playing Dread Necro 20...