Author Topic: Broccoli  (Read 5698 times)

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
Broccoli
« on: May 18, 2008, 08:05:29 PM »
Yes, I'm going there.

After a post making an analogy between rebelling against Wizards and refusing to eat broccoli, that made me actually think about the whole "I don't like broccoli situation."

I'll be honest: I was one of those kids that, without trying broccoli, proclaimed that he did not like broccoli. Guess what? I have now tried broccoli and I don't like broccoli.

So what's wrong with kids that are somewhat picky about what they eat? Can parents not think of another vegetable to feed their children if they refuse broccoli to make sure their kids eat healthily? I'm not trying to generalize to all parents since not all of them are adamant about the broccoli issue. But for the ones that are, what's the problem? And, yes, some parents are perhaps far too strict, in my opinion, about trying to force their children to eat broccoli (threatening to force their children to go without a meal, to ground their children, et cetera - over broccoli).

So, what are everyone else's opinions?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

BoSheck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
Re: Broccoli
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 08:08:28 PM »
I find broccoli to be delicious.  But it must be cooked first.  Eating raw broccoli makes me ill.  I find it to be best when boiled or steamed and then smothered in melted velveta or some other cheesy-goodness.  It's also prevalent in much of the chinese food I get, which is also delicious, reinforcing my prepared-broccoli liking.  But never raw, never by itself.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 08:15:51 PM »
According to several tests it takes around ten times to enjoy a new food. Only sweet flavour is accepted as such on the first try. That is to say, pretty much everyone dislikes broccoli when they taste it for the first time, but you can grow to like stuff. I did that for fish, coffee, beer and for a whole bunch of other things.

Handy Links

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 08:21:31 PM »
According to several tests it takes around ten times to enjoy a new food. Only sweet flavour is accepted as such on the first try. That is to say, pretty much everyone dislikes broccoli when they taste it for the first time, but you can grow to like stuff. I did that for fish, coffee, beer and for a whole bunch of other things.

I liked fish the first time I tried it.
The same goes for a lot of other foods (macaroni and cheese, though I have come to like that less over the years, peanut butter, carrots, saltine crackers).
I will admit that I did not take to beef (hamburgers) as a child though and only even started eating hamburgers when I was probably 13 or so.
I hated beer the one time I accidentally took a sip of it (mistaking it for tea since it had gone flat and there was only a small amount left in the glass, giving it that pale yellow color - and my mom drinks tea all the time). I have not tried it since.
I dislike coffee, but I can stand it and I have had some interesting coffee-like drinks (such as one last night that included a coffee base, tabasco sauce, sugar, and some other stuff - it tasted delicious, though the next such drink with salt, raspberry syrup, and other stuff added in addition to the other things listed before was absolutely revolting).
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 06:18:25 PM »
I've always liked broccoli but don't get beans or peas anywhere near me.  My parents tried for years to get me to like them and I never have.

I like lots of other vegetables though so they didn't go all wrong.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »
Oddly, I eat carrots. A lot of them, I mean 3-4 carrots a day. Additionally, I eat pretty much all vegetables, fruits and whatnot and I wind up using a relative large portion of my salary to keep my wealthy habits rolling.

Handy Links

skydragonknight

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 06:22:52 PM »
Oddly, I eat carrots. A lot of them, I mean 3-4 carrots a day. Additionally, I eat pretty much all vegetables, fruits and whatnot and I wind up using a relative large portion of my salary to keep my wealthy habits rolling.

You're making me hungry.
It always seems like the barrels around here have something in them.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 06:24:57 PM »
When I was a kid, I used to pretend I was a brontosaurus, and the broccoli was a tree...

Shut up! It was cool when I was 5...:blush

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 06:29:06 PM »
A lot of parents get upset when they cook Anything and the child refuses to try it at all. Less about vitimins and more about frustration. That said, there is a lot to say for a more mature palate. Once you accept that someone else actually likes something (and isn't just trying to trick you), you're a lot more open to try things. I still hate Brussels sprouts, tho.

Creative cooks with lots of time can make healthy food that is usually pleasing to kids.  Steamed broccoli , otoh, only takes five minutes.

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 06:33:38 PM »
When I was a kid, I used to pretend I was a brontosaurus, and the broccoli was a tree...

I did the same thing with broccoli and cauliflower.
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 07:04:35 PM »

Are you implying dinosaurs are not cool anymore?

Handy Links

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 07:24:42 PM »
Hardly. I still pretend I'm a brontosaurus all the time. But trees these days just aren't as cool as they used to be. They just don't have the...zazz they once did. Damn you pollutants! You killed the dinosaurs by blocking out the sun, and now trees?! Curse you!!! :fo

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2008, 02:38:12 PM »
Broccoli with chicken (a lot :smirk) and a nice curry sauce on top
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 04:17:56 PM »
Hardly. I still pretend I'm a brontosaurus all the time. But trees these days just aren't as cool as they used to be. They just don't have the...zazz they once did. Damn you pollutants! You killed the dinosaurs by blocking out the sun, and now trees?! Curse you!!! :fo

Plus apparently brontosaurus isn't even a real dinosaur anymore, supposedly it was an apotosaurus or something like that put together backwards.

Mohji

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • "The Enemies Gate is Down."
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2008, 04:21:03 PM »

Plus apparently brontosaurus isn't even a real dinosaur anymore, supposedly it was an apotosaurus or something like that put together backwards.

It would appear that someone didn't make enough puzzles as a child then.
Will Wild Shape for FoodFace off with the Legion

Squash Monster

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 07:20:49 PM »
I think broccoli is quite delicious.  Except most people overcook it (as they do to most vegitables) and make it soggy and nasty.  It should still be crunchy.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 09:14:39 PM »
I think broccoli is quite delicious.  Except most people overcook it (as they do to most vegitables) and make it soggy and nasty.  It should still be crunchy.
Your opinions. They are amazing.

Handy Links

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2008, 09:35:34 PM »
I've met quite a few non-first generation Americans that have very limited palettes.  I find it highly disturbing.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2008, 09:38:16 PM »
I've met quite a few non-first generation Americans that have very limited palettes.  I find it highly disturbing.
I'm a student and all, so my money flow isn't too shabby, but I love food. I can eat same stuff for two days, but after that it's starting to be an impossible task. That's why I always make sure there are a lot of vegetables, fruits and such for me to feast upon. A little imagination works wonders in kitchen.

Handy Links

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 04:36:14 AM »
Tip of the day; always cook meals for 3 people when you're allone. you can eat the left overs for lunch/breakfast/dinner the next day(s)  :)
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!