Author Topic: Rebalancing Compendium [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 64951 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Rebalancing Compendium [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2008, 07:15:03 AM »
Okay, so here's a thought.  We talked earlier on whether a "Knight" class should exist.  Well, there's one character concept we're missing: sword and board.  It's really weak in this addition, and while I can kinda make it work, even in the end it generally becomes just about the shield.  Our Fighter fix doesn't seem to fix that, though feat changes may make it work.

Still, what if we revised the Knight to be a competant sword and board class?  Knights traditionally used sword and shield, flail and shield, or lance and shield, so it makes sense with the class name at the very least, and this is a character concept that really should be available.  We could do it with the Paladin if we really wanted, too.  But really, this should exist.

JaronK

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2008, 09:57:12 AM »
Personally, I'm cool with not having a knight class (same as ninja and samurai), but that's just my opinion.  We can see what others think.

I guess what I'd like to see is a sieries of feats that improve the shield.  I know we discussed it earlier in the Skills & Feats thread.  If we go this route (or at least look into it), we can move the discussion there.  I revised Weapon Focus a while ago to include Greater WF and both Weapon Specializion feats in one.  Recently, I put an Armor Focus feat in there as well.  Perhaps we could have a Shield Focus feat too...

______

Jaron: good point on Profession.  I'll change the strategic advantage wording too.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2008, 10:46:19 AM »
I don't think we need a class "called knight" to have a competent sword and board fighter.

I"m okay with not having it too.

I'm willing to hear you out though, J.
I believe what is needed is feat trees for SAB.
A few tactical feats etc... at worst we can make it a variant.
Still I'm all ears to your suggestions.  :)
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #63 on: December 21, 2008, 01:05:56 PM »
Profession for all is best, even the pure classed barbarian probably did something else when he was not raging and murderizing.

I'd say theres less need for a shield based Knight class than some decent feat chains for shield users in general, keeping in mind that pure defense isn't really useful in a party context. If an unbreachable wall was needed, I'm pretty sure a Wall of Force is up to the task.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #64 on: December 21, 2008, 01:09:32 PM »
The shield would have to be a strong defense item, rather than a small bonus to AC.

Not sure what, though...

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #65 on: December 21, 2008, 01:20:38 PM »
What I personally think shield fighting needs is ways to use it offensively, in addition to the defense stuff. Not getting hit is nice and all, but it needs something active to do on top of that, particularly without needing TWF to fight with.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #66 on: December 21, 2008, 01:26:42 PM »
The shield can do a lot of good things to make it viable.  Some of these were already hashed over in the Skills & Feats thread, and possibly buried somewhere in the classes thread.  I might have to dig some of it up.  I tought we talked about a tactical feat, but nothing was ever decided.  Some good shield functions could be:

- AC boost.
- block an attack (possibly eat up an AoO).
- protect an ally (AC boost).
- protect an ally (block an attack).
- boost to Reflex saves.
- possible Evasion.
- block line of effect behind the shield bearer, but not for the shield bearer (more protection for allies).
- off-hand attack
- off-hand maneuvers (disarm, trip, bull rush, etc...)

I haven't hashed out what feat(s) would grant what, but I think a fighter who could do a lot of those things might be willing to give up his super two-handed weapon damage and Power Attack bonuses.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #67 on: December 21, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »
Shield Charge, Slam, Ward, and Block are all cool abilities.

Crash into somebody with your shield and knock them down.

Uh, what is it, Fort or dazed? Strength DC

Shield bonus to touch AC.

And the maneuver, give your shield bonus to someone else as an immediate action. Not too good, but it's def cool.

Shields range in damage from 1d3 to 1d6 and I think to start let's change that. I suggest 1d8 for heavy shields. 1d6 for light. Spiked just changes the damage type.

That does bring Bashing shields up to 3d6 right away and enlarged is another d6, but I think the change is good. The d3 is just a light shield. Light maces (simple weapon) get d6. Morningstars (simple weapon) get d8! Shield (martial weapon) gets d3?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2008, 02:14:20 AM »
I don't think the shield damage needs to go up, just the debilitating effects when you hit with them if using them offensively.

I don't have too much else to say on the Knight concept... it was just an idea.

JaronK

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2008, 10:50:52 AM »
Meh.
I rember you build a build that did awesome with a shild as a weapon.
If I can put this correctly...

I think the X & Shield style  feat should be similar to high sword low axe yes.

However the "Child of the Hoplites" tactical feat shoud be something that makes you very mobile while using a shield.
Able to run over and protect an ally(give him your ac) (grant him cover) or whatever is really more in line with whats being suggested as a Shield build. More status effects won't help that... making turtling good ad defense will.
Though frankly I'm not entirely sold on a "defender" class.
I always thought that was a terrible rubric. Your job being to occupy the monsters while the spell casters did the "real" work of killing them seemed... Wrong somehow.

What was that feat that gave AoO's when someone didn't attack you?
Now if we took that and made it a part of the reqs for the tactical feat but made it a bullrush knockdown trip?stunned thing... maybe that'd be good... though frankly you can already do that if you optimize correctly... or you could just "trip" when they provoke with the attack...

Somebody help what feat am i thinking of? Seems like the "turtle" crowd would go nuts for it...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2008, 12:07:51 PM »
Well, making a mobile defender type is good, but thats something 4e got the rough idea of at least. If you have a defender, theres really nothing keeping more mobile higher level foes from just going around him and to the squishies, while tanking, like healing, is just buying time as opposed to ending threats.

A shield fighter needs some credible offense in addition to a better defense than most, as well as some means of forcing opponents to remain engaged with him might help, whether by keeping up with the opponent, locking him down, or by intercepting attacks effectively(perhaps while hes in reach of the opponent, he can disrupt the attack, whether by providing cover or breaking line of effect, or by laying down stuns, trips and dazes).
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2008, 12:31:47 PM »
[quote =veekie ]
Well, making a mobile defender type is good, but thats something 4e got the rough idea of at least. If you have a defender, theres really nothing keeping more mobile higher level foes from just going around him and to the squishies, while tanking, like healing, is just buying time as opposed to ending threats.

A shield fighter needs some credible offense in addition to a better defense than most, as well as some means of forcing opponents to remain engaged with him might help, whether by keeping up with the opponent, locking him down, or by intercepting attacks effectively(perhaps while hes in reach of the opponent, he can disrupt the attack, whether by providing cover or breaking line of effect, or by laying down stuns, trips and dazes).
[/quote]
Standstill already exists. We should leave it at that and not forget what we already have at our disposal.
Further he already has "Parry" as well as "Surprise lunge" It just occured to me that aside from finding an action for using a shield the base Rebalance fighter is perfect for defense as is by taking:
Defensive rebuke!
Thats the feat I was thinking of. . .
Its like if someone you threaten attempts to attack someone else they provoke an AoO from you.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2008, 12:43:39 PM »
Ahh! I was wrong!  ;)

Thank fully. The feat i was thinking of was Defensive sweep and it gave an AoO against an opponent who doesn't move out of your threatened area. (and its bab 15)

This means that the feat that I just described is Defensive Rebuke the Martial stance. Crusader 3.
Sigh... Still you could get that as a fighter 10  :bigeye

Or we could remake it as a shield and weapon feat that allows that attack to be a shiled slam... Or type of improved bull rush (with a large bonus) that if it hits deals the damage of the shield and if it moves the opponent back allows for an attack at the end of the rush. I saw this in the movie troy.

ZeroSpace

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: December 29, 2008, 02:06:38 AM »
I ran into an interesting proposal for the magic system on Gitp. You have a small number of spells known, but you can cast them as much as you like. However, everytime you do, you must make a check (say Spellcraft) based off of the spells level; failure yields some sort of negative penalty. Some examples included fatigue/exhaustion/unconcious, intellegence damage, and nonlethal damage. The DC to beat was 15 +(SL x 2 or 3). Bear in mind this is a summary of the ideas offered there.

Link here > http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100742

I realize it would take some work to implement, but it would go a ways towards solving several problems with casters, namely sucking at low level and being gods at high levels.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #74 on: December 29, 2008, 08:26:20 AM »
Well, with shields one method is to just let you protect people near you with it.  The Shield Specialization/Shieldmate combo I mentioned would help a lot, and perhaps a way to give everyone near you cover, eventually giving 9/10 cover, would really help too.  That means that either the enemy deals with you, or they have to deal with greatly increased defenses for everyone nearby.

I think shield offense shouldn't deal huge amounts of damage, nor should they lock you in place.  Those jobs are already covered by chargers and trippers, respectively.  Instead, we should be debuffing enemies... stunning them, spoiling attacks, reducing their actions, etc.

JaronK

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #75 on: December 29, 2008, 09:29:10 AM »
I ran into an interesting proposal for the magic system on Gitp. You have a small number of spells known, but you can cast them as much as you like. However, everytime you do, you must make a check (say Spellcraft) based off of the spells level; failure yields some sort of negative penalty. Some examples included fatigue/exhaustion/unconcious, intellegence damage, and nonlethal damage. The DC to beat was 15 +(SL x 2 or 3). Bear in mind this is a summary of the ideas offered there.

Link here > http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=100742

I realize it would take some work to implement, but it would go a ways towards solving several problems with casters, namely sucking at low level and being gods at high levels.
I created an SP system a while ago that would make you fatigued and exhausted.  The idea was when you were fatigued, you wouldn't regain SP, and when exhausted, you couldn't cast.  In the end, the system was a real pain to use, and none of my players liked it that much.

The Spellcraft idea (or any skill for that matter) is really hard to pull off because of how easy it is to skyrocked your skill modifiers.  Your ranks are completely fixed by level, but the actual modifier to your d20 roll can be huge.  This makes it impossible to regulate a skill-based mechanic to either not be impossible for the average person or to not be trivially easy to someone who's optimized.

Now, a caster level check might work, but I'm not sure that's quite the direction I wanted to take this project.  Although, it could be an interesting discussion for a house rule used in conjunction with this project.  Thanks for the link though.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2008, 11:52:39 AM »
Added Veekie's version of Persistent Spell.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ZeroSpace

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: December 29, 2008, 03:41:08 PM »
No problem. I do realize it would be difficult to make it work, but if done right, I feel it would be worth it. Thinking about your comment of using caster level, I'm thinking right off a DC of 10 + (SL x 3) would be effective. At level one, you would need a 12 to cast 1st lvl spells, at lvl 3 you would need a 13 for lvl 2 spells. The only problem with this is that when you get 7th, 8th, and 9th level spells, the check is EXTREMELY hard to make without CL boosters. Example, at CL 17, attempting a 9th level spell has a DC of 10 + 27 [9 x 3] = 37! Assuming you aren't boosting your caster level, that needs a nat. 20 to hit.

In the name of toning down casters, though, this is not neccesarily a bad thing...
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #78 on: December 29, 2008, 04:05:25 PM »
If you want to keep the DC relative, the easy route is to increase the DC by two per spell level, since you get a new spell level every other level.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2009, 03:38:07 PM »
Added the warlock in Other Classes, and new invocations after Spells.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]