Author Topic: Rebalancing Compendium [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 64943 times)

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
Re: Rebalancing Compendium [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2008, 03:20:29 PM »
A couple glitches and/or thoughts:

With the Rage-Haste thing:
At 20th level, the barbarian can gain the benifit as long as he likes.
  This is unclear.  I think you meant to say "At 20th level, the barbarian can gain the benefit as many times as he likes."  If not, you should be more clear about the fact that the ability lasts the whole rage... right now it's very unclear.  Also, note the spelling of benefit.

Fighters:  REALLY should have Knowledge History.  It's knowledge of wars and warfare and military tactics!  If Fighters are the generic soldier class, they need this one.  Also, Sense Motive opposes bluff in combat, so that's something to consider.

Also, I totally forgot when I suggested this ability, but Battlefield Recon should apply to Strategic Advantage checks in military situations.  It just makes sense.  See Heroes of Battle.

Swashbuckler ACF:  If Art of War moves to fifth level, does that mean the bonus goes up every 5 levels?  As written, it's still every three levels, which is sort of weird considering when you get it.  Also, does Daring Outlaw still exist (if so, damn, it's got a lot of kick now, especially with sneak attack being upgraded).

Rogue Sneak Attack:  Does this change also apply to CA Ninjas, Scouts, Rokugan Ninjas, etc?

Great Fortitude
- You gain a +2 bonus on Fortitude saves.  Instead of rolling one save, you may roll two dice and pick the higher of the two results.  You may do this one time day plus one for every three character levels (round down).

It's unclear whether the last scentance applies to the first or not.  Obviously they can only do the double save thing X times per day, but what about the +2?

Two Weapon Parry, as written, does not require holding two weapons, nor is it clear whether you take the -2 to to hit for wielding two weapons.  It just says you forgo the extra attacks, but if you're not even wielding the other weapon, you could say that means you're forgoing them.  And if you wield a greatsword and armor spikes and use the ability, do you take a -2 to hit for dual wielding or no?  This is not clear right now.

That said, I really like how this is turning out.

JaronK
« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 03:34:08 PM by JaronK »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2008, 04:20:56 PM »

This is unclear.  I think you meant to say "At 20th level, the barbarian can gain the benefit as many times as he likes."  If not, you should be more clear about the fact that the ability lasts the whole rage... right now it's very unclear.  Also, note the spelling of benefit.
Basically, what I was thinking is that Haste takes a swift action to activate.  At 12th level and beyond, the barbarian can Haste for more than one round, which gives two options:
1) Haste two (or more) rounds consecutively (one swift action to activate).
2) Split the Haste on different rounds when needed, but use a swift action to activate each time.

At 20th level, the duration of the Haste ability is limited only by the rage.

Fighters:  REALLY should have Knowledge History.  It's knowledge of wars and warfare and military tactics!  If Fighters are the generic soldier class, they need this one.  Also, Sense Motive opposes bluff in combat, so that's something to consider.
Yeah, for some reason I thought I had that in there too.  I may have had it in an older version and left it out during some copy-paste.

Also, I totally forgot when I suggested this ability, but Battlefield Recon should apply to Strategic Advantage checks in military situations.  It just makes sense.  See Heroes of Battle.
I haven't seen Heroes of battle.  Is Strategic Advantage a new rule in there?

Swashbuckler ACF:  If Art of War moves to fifth level, does that mean the bonus goes up every 5 levels?  As written, it's still every three levels, which is sort of weird considering when you get it.  Also, does Daring Outlaw still exist (if so, damn, it's got a lot of kick now, especially with sneak attack being upgraded).
I think it should still be every three levels, but pushed back two (5, 8, 11... instead of 3, 6, 9...).  As for Daring Outlaw, I haven't given that much thought.  I guess we don't really need it anymore.  Failing that, the prereq could be increased enough to force the PC to give up many fighter(swashbuckler) levels.  For now I'd say drop it.

Rogue Sneak Attack:  Does this change also apply to CA Ninjas, Scouts, Rokugan Ninjas, etc?
I was just thinking about this last weekend.  I think it should apply to Sudden Strike and Scirmish as well.  Also, I was thinking about creating a feat that would allow for full (instead of half) precision damage agaisnt creatures immune to crits.  I don't think it's that over powered.  Thoughts?

It's unclear whether the last scentance applies to the first or not.  Obviously they can only do the double save thing X times per day, but what about the +2?
The +2 is constant.  The reroll is X per day.

Two Weapon Parry, as written, does not require holding two weapons, nor is it clear whether you take the -2 to to hit for wielding two weapons.  It just says you forgo the extra attacks, but if you're not even wielding the other weapon, you could say that means you're forgoing them.  And if you wield a greatsword and armor spikes and use the ability, do you take a -2 to hit for dual wielding or no?  This is not clear right now.
Good point.  I would say that you need to take the -2 penalty, but you wouldn't get the extra attack(s), and you need use a weapon to parry (i.e. be holding a weapon in the hand that is not attacking).  Perhaps Improved Unarmed Strike would allow this to be done with an empty hand.  I wouldn't allow it with armor spikes.

That said, I really like how this is turning out.

JaronK
Thanks for the input.  This is why I like to have a few extra sets of eyes looking at these things.  After I write something, I have a tendancy to read what I want to see and not what's there.

I'll try to get these things updated soon.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2008, 05:08:08 PM »

Basically, what I was thinking is that Haste takes a swift action to activate.  At 12th level and beyond, the barbarian can Haste for more than one round, which gives two options:
1) Haste two (or more) rounds consecutively (one swift action to activate).
2) Split the Haste on different rounds when needed, but use a swift action to activate each time.

At 20th level, the duration of the Haste ability is limited only by the rage.

In that case, it needs to be clarified.  Right now, it's quite unclear for 20th level.

I haven't seen Heroes of battle.  Is Strategic Advantage a new rule in there?

Yes.  Basically, make a skill check when planning out your battle strategy before a major military engagement, if you beat a DC 20 then you get a bonus towards who is considered to have won the battle once the battle is actually fought.  One of the skill checks you can make is a knowledge check relevant to the type of creature you're fighting... essentially, you're seeing if you know their battle tactics well enough to gain an advantage.  Knowledge History to know about appropriate military tactics is another one, by the way.  As you can see, Battlefield Recon giving its bonus to that makes a ton of sense, and makes high level Fighters as generals actually reasonable since they'd almost always pass two Strategic Advantage checks... one for the creatures they are fighting, and one for knowing the appropriate military tactics.

It only applies to large scale battles... the idea is that the PCs help plan the overall strategy, then they fight some special mission during the larger battle and at the end of the day the DM takes into account their contributions in battle strategy and whatever their mission was and determines who wins the fight.  So if you had a Fighter general, he could gain two Strategic Advantages, and then during the fight he could run in there and hack some fools up or something.

I think it should still be every three levels, but pushed back two (5, 8, 11... instead of 3, 6, 9...).

Then you'll have to clarify that, because it doesn't say that right now.

As for Daring Outlaw, I haven't given that much thought.  I guess we don't really need it anymore.  Failing that, the prereq could be increased enough to force the PC to give up many fighter(swashbuckler) levels.  For now I'd say drop it.

Then again, you'd have to say that.

I was just thinking about this last weekend.  I think it should apply to Sudden Strike and Scirmish as well.  Also, I was thinking about creating a feat that would allow for full (instead of half) precision damage agaisnt creatures immune to crits.  I don't think it's that over powered.  Thoughts?

I agree, it makes plenty of sense.  You should put it in there.

The +2 is constant.  The reroll is X per day.

I thought that might be the idea, if so it should be clarified.

Good point.  I would say that you need to take the -2 penalty, but you wouldn't get the extra attack(s), and you need use a weapon to parry (i.e. be holding a weapon in the hand that is not attacking).  Perhaps Improved Unarmed Strike would allow this to be done with an empty hand.  I wouldn't allow it with armor spikes.

Again, you'd need to clarify this.

Thanks for the input.  This is why I like to have a few extra sets of eyes looking at these things.  After I write something, I have a tendancy to read what I want to see and not what's there.

All designers do that!  That's why we have playtesters and such.  Good luck with it!

JaronK

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2008, 05:21:43 PM »
Well, I'll try to update the relavent posts when I get a chance.  It might not be up until the morning...

Thanks again though.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2008, 01:00:32 AM »
RE: the feat to grant full sneak attack vs resistant foes
I say you could, but key it to specific sources of immunity.
Undead, constructs, oozes(?), etc
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2008, 10:07:39 AM »
Okay, I clarified all the things JaronK mentioned.

Also, I did already have Knowledge(History) listed for the fighter.  I was pretty sure it was in there, but it was good to double check.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2008, 05:53:45 PM »
Rage should last 5 + con modifier now since the extra points of con are gone. Basically by removing that bonus it achieved that rages all last 2 rounds shorter than normal. So yeah 5 rounds +con which is what the original rage would last always.
What are we doing about prc's?
I'm going to go work on the hexblade soon.

Lastly I think after spending the last 10 days embroilded in conversations about it... the psiwar should be granted more power points. 2 more pp per level, starting at level 1. This allows the psiwar to be solidly tier 3. As opponsed to scraping along the bottom of tier 3 as so many have implied. I thought a lot about it Measured it out a bit. Its a resonable add neting 40pp through your whole life. Not unbalancing in the least and still fufuling the same role exactly.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2008, 06:01:55 PM »
Rage should last 5 + con modifier now since the extra points of con are gone. Basically by removing that bonus it achieved that rages all last 2 rounds shorter than normal. So yeah 5 rounds +con which is what the original rage would last always.
Good point.  The thought occured to me, but it got lost in everything else.

What are we doing about prc's?
Possibly.  I was going to leave those until near "the end" mainly due to the vast number of them, and that they are (somewhat) optional.  I think starting on core PrCs and some poplular Complete sieries PrCs would make the most sense.

I'm going to go work on the hexblade soon.
Yeah, in the old thread, I had a half-assed hexblade fix.  I too would like to revisit this.

Lastly I think after spending the last 10 days embroilded in conversations about it... the psiwar should be granted more power points. 2 more pp per level, starting at level 1. This allows the psiwar to be solidly tier 3. As opponsed to scraping along the bottom of tier 3 as so many have implied. I thought a lot about it Measured it out a bit. Its a resonable add neting 40pp through your whole life. Not unbalancing in the least and still fufuling the same role exactly.
That's something to look into.  I wanted a good discussion on psionics, but it's always been a minor topic.  I did get a bit discussed on the soulknife and wilder.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2008, 06:16:32 PM »
I saw you eventually took my advice and scrapped soulknife for the acf soulbound weapon, so I was thinking the psi-talk had already happend.
I've been a pretty vocal protagonist for psiwars being tier 3. Inevitabley every argument against them says "They dont' have enough pp!" and thus aren't good... well they are good, however they are not quite as good as T.O.B classes, just better than all the tier 4 classes and very very close to the bard. As a power boost 40 extra points in the course of 20 levels is not that signifigant... However at level 1 being able to manifest your power a couple more times makes things seem more equal vs the guys with stances and renewable manuevers.
Basically just at 2 to the the existing pp progression. It only pushes them to 167 points. thats not infringing anyw where as the psion/wilder has 343.
Thats my argument and I digress...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2008, 08:52:21 PM »
RE: the feat to grant full sneak attack vs resistant foes
I say you could, but key it to specific sources of immunity.
Undead, constructs, oozes(?), etc

I disagree with this.  Feats should never be that situational.  Imagine you're in a campaign, and the goal is to defeat the lich king's minions.  So you take the feat to make sneak attack work fully on undead.  Now you win, slaying the king, and your next enemy is a mad Wizard who's sending constructs and elementals at you.  That would be really annoying.

So, make it apply to everyone.  10d6 damage isn't THAT incredible.

@Robby:  Not sure how I missed Know (History) the first time.  But hey, why is Nobility and Royalty on the list?  That seems more of a knightly skill, not a soldiery skill.  More the Paladin/Crusader's thing.

JaronK

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #50 on: December 16, 2008, 09:45:27 PM »
I disagree with this.  Feats should never be that situational.  Imagine you're in a campaign, and the goal is to defeat the lich king's minions.  So you take the feat to make sneak attack work fully on undead.  Now you win, slaying the king, and your next enemy is a mad Wizard who's sending constructs and elementals at you.  That would be really annoying.

So, make it apply to everyone.  10d6 damage isn't THAT incredible.
Good point.

How do you feel about the Knowledge suggestion?  If we dropped the requirement to three ranks of the appropriate Knowledge skill, without multiclassing, the rogue could pick that up for 3 skill points by level three per creature type under the new cross-class skill rules.  I think it's a good comprimise, and it works well thematically in that the rogue learns about a type of creature (undead - religion, elementals - planes, etc...) and is able to fully sneak attack it.

@Robby:  Not sure how I missed Know (History) the first time.  But hey, why is Nobility and Royalty on the list?  That seems more of a knightly skill, not a soldiery skill.  More the Paladin/Crusader's thing.
Well, I wasn't planning on keeping the knight per se.  I kind of figured the fighter could be the knight.

I saw you eventually took my advice and scrapped soulknife for the acf soulbound weapon, so I was thinking the psi-talk had already happend.
I've been a pretty vocal protagonist for psiwars being tier 3. Inevitabley every argument against them says "They dont' have enough pp!" and thus aren't good... well they are good, however they are not quite as good as T.O.B classes, just better than all the tier 4 classes and very very close to the bard. As a power boost 40 extra points in the course of 20 levels is not that signifigant... However at level 1 being able to manifest your power a couple more times makes things seem more equal vs the guys with stances and renewable manuevers.
Basically just at 2 to the the existing pp progression. It only pushes them to 167 points. thats not infringing anyw where as the psion/wilder has 343.
Thats my argument and I digress...
So you're suggesting two extra PP per level?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #51 on: December 16, 2008, 10:35:25 PM »
The Knowledge thing would make sense... just have the general feat only work on critters if you have three ranks in the right knowledge skill.  That makes a Factotum dip even more attractive to Rogues, but whatever.

And shouldn't the Paladin and Crusader be the knight classes, even if you drop the Knight?  Fighters still don't work well as knights, since I'd expect Diplomacy on their list if that were the case.  I mean, they can do it, but it's not really the class description.

JaronK

Hallack

• Hong Kong
Re: Core Classes
« Reply #52 on: December 17, 2008, 11:15:51 AM »
Hehe, looking through a bunch of this may cause and itch to run a new game for my group to test some of the change ideas :)
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 11:21:49 AM by Hallack »
Placeholder - T'tosc

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #53 on: December 17, 2008, 05:19:27 PM »
Thing is we don't really need a "Knight" class. Nor would I think that the "knight" can be hinged upon "diplomacy" .
We should get away from this line of thinking, since we'll never be able to come to an agreement on exactly what a "Knight" generically speaking is.
A knight at least in the minds of the people everywhere is a guy in fullplate (sometimes on a horse) who has some kind of moral code.
Now without getting into that debate...
I believe grand terms like "knight" and "Samurai" are archtypes and shouldn't be planned for in the way of "Shouldn't the paladins and crusaders be the Knights?" cause really d20 being level based isn't set up that way.
Let us all remeber Miko. OotS. Samurai = Monk, Paladin.
Thing is the fighter can be what ever he wants.
For that matter there'll be Warblade and hexblade "Knights" cause theres no real desriptor that aplicably defines it.
The fighter I would think works great as a knight with all the feats and parry and the such. I don't know... I just don't know how to quantify it.

The knowledge idea is cool . . .
Though I think knowledge should no Longer be Trained only. Hmm... yes that ridiculous.
Knowledge has to be a freely cross classable skill.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2008, 09:52:23 PM »
I think I could tighten the wording down on this a bit more...

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #55 on: December 20, 2008, 04:53:24 PM »
I still think Battlefield Recon should apply to all Strategic Advantage checks, or at least Knowledge checks to gain Strategic Advantages.  It just makes sense.

JaronK

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #56 on: December 20, 2008, 06:09:23 PM »
I don't have Heroes of Battle, but I'll trust your judgement on this one.  No one else seems to be objecting to it.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #57 on: December 20, 2008, 07:04:39 PM »
In that case, the wording should be something like "You also gain this bonus on all skill checks to gain a Strategic Advantage in planning for a large battle."

Also, something I noticed.  Fighters are one of the only classes that don't get Profession as a class skill.  But the skill to operate a siege weapon?  Profession (Siege Engineer).   Let's put Profession on the list.  Seriously.  Fighters being one of the few classes who can't fire a catapult is insane.

JaronK

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #58 on: December 20, 2008, 11:53:27 PM »
Ok, not having Profession as a class skill is ridiculous, lets abolish that for everyone? No class forbids you from having a trade.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2008, 01:58:10 AM »
I dunno, I buy it for Barbarians.  A pure class Barbarian... it kinda makes sense.  Also, War Hulks and Frenzied Berserkers.  Anyone else though?  Forget it.

JaronK