Author Topic: Rebalancing Compendium [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 64957 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: Rebalancing Compendium [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2009, 03:29:10 PM »
Added Balance and Sense Motive as class skills to the fighter.

Added the cleric domains to a new Spell List section (which also contains the Generalist spell list)

Cleaned up the cleric entry.  They now get 4 skill points per level.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

ZeroSpace

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2009, 01:32:30 AM »
I got the Slayers D20 book a month or so ago, and it uses spellcasting system that seems... interesting. Each spell has a DC to it, which you roll against as a Fort save. How well you do on this determines how much drain damage (Nonlethal) you take, as well as whether you need to make a second control check to maintain the spell. If you fail it by enough, the spell also fatigues you, and spellcasting deals LETHAL damage while exhausted.

The only issue with the spellcasting in that book really is that fact that A) there is very little in the way of utility (it's mostly blasting), and B) the blasting is ridiculously charged up compared to regular dnd. An example, one of the trademark spells deals damage comparable to a Disintigrate to everything in a 100(!) ft radius, with a Fort save for half. Particularily amusing when you consider that the absolute lowest that save DC will be is 25, and likely to be somewhere in the neighbourhood of 35.

But anyways, was just throwing that out to you for ideas, RobbyPants. Also, the user Fax Celestis on GitP is doing his own 3.5 rebuild; you may want to have a chat with him to sound off some ideas. http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98722 That's the link to the thread.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2009, 09:44:24 AM »
I'll have to take a look at it.

A while back I tried some house rule that would let you do simlar things with a Fort save.  As I expected, this made Divine casters even nastier because they get a good Fort progression.  Also, it seems hard to set a good DC at all spell levels becuase it can be easy to boost your Fort save enough to never or seldom fail.

I've always had a hard time using saves or skills to balance things like these.

Also:
I started working on the PDF for this project.  It will still be a bit, but in the (relatively) near future, I'll post it.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

ZeroSpace

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2009, 02:40:21 PM »
Well, I think what they did for Slayers is jacked up the DC's for spellcasting big time. Sure there are a lot of boosters for casting, but needing to make a DC 20(!) fort save for basic spells offsets this somewhat. And if memory serves, the casting classes don't get strong fort saves. They do get to add their class level to those saves, but only for casting.

And oh yes, the spell I mentioned (the Dragonslave)? DC 50 to cast. Have a good day.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2009, 10:34:58 AM »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #105 on: April 04, 2009, 03:40:31 PM »
Added new iterative rules.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2009, 09:59:42 AM »
Alright!  The PDF is up! 

It's about 400KB, so I can't attach it here.  I've uploaded it at filefactory (you need to enter in a capcha code and follow two links to download it, but it's free, and I don't think you need an account.  Just click "download for free with filefactory basic").  Feel free to let me know of any better places to host this!

PDF Download
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Soda

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #107 on: April 05, 2009, 01:03:17 PM »
I hate being so anal, but someone has to list typos.

Monk's enlightened fist "a number of times per day equal to + the monks level". 3+ or just Monk level?

Immobilizing fist- capitalize 'Reflex'
Combat insight- cap  'Starting'
Extra space on Ki Reinforce- "+ 1d6 Force damage"
Diamond Body- some conditions are capped, some not.
Timeless body ends with 'Damage reduction increases by two'. I'm not sure what that's for.
Awe of 'perfection' cap.
Walk the path cap.

Paladin should probably list class skills since it's all new.

Paladin's turn undead is strangely 2+ Cha times per day.

Non-typo: I'm thinking Dodge should keep it's signature mechanic because a couple other things use it. I recommend changing it to a +2 vs the single dodge opponent.

Persistent Spell: 'Duration: Concentration' spells should be changed to "rounds/level + concentration" instead of "rounds/level".

Turn Undead- " ]healed "

I'll check the second half later.
More:

Blasphemy- stray period after DC

Inconsistency with the chart for force effects, as 0 level spells don't gain the special direct damage spell effects.

You should add an alternate to Cure Minor in the form of Stabilize, for DM's who don't want any free healing.

Cleric domains like Earth have Summon Monster but earth elementals are on the summon nature's ally list (starting at SNA 2).

Healing domain- "You may cast any Cure spell as a swift." action
Healing domain abilities are a little overlap-y. Cure Moderate heals 1d4 ability damage, but at 3rd level you could heal 3 ability damage to everyone within 30 feet. Possibly the healing domain power could instead add Cha mod to turn undead healing or something like that. So the Cure line gets to heal ability damage and feel special.

Protection- "you can prevent up to 1d6 damage per cleric level to any ally within 30 feet of you from a single attack."

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 02:40:43 PM by Soda »

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #108 on: April 13, 2009, 10:20:43 AM »
Soda, thanks for listing those.  I'm glad you did.  I caught some myself, but there's a lot of material to read through, and after a while I start reading what I want to be there, and not what's actually there. ;)  When I get some time, I'll fix them and re-upload the new version.

Also, does anybody know of a good place to host a 1/2 MB file for free?  Filefactory only seems to allow access some of the time, which can be a real pain in the ass.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »
Dropbox (in my sig) lets you create "public" links to files in your Dropbox. I'd offer to host it off my account, but I get another 250 MB of storage if I refer someone else in (as does the refee).  :D

I'm trying to find if there's a filesize limit right now.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #110 on: April 16, 2009, 09:13:48 AM »
Thanks.  I'll look into that later.  Right now it's about 420 KB, but I'm sure it could grow.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #111 on: April 17, 2009, 11:36:31 AM »
Modified Shield Specialization.  Removed the big boost to AC and replaced with a blocking mechanic.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #112 on: April 20, 2009, 12:28:45 AM »
Well, let's see if this new PDF link works!  Let me know if you have any problems.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #113 on: April 20, 2009, 01:03:35 AM »
Works for me. And I got 250 more MB of storage.  :D
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #114 on: April 20, 2009, 09:20:04 AM »
Yeah, it works great for me on a different computer too.  Thanks!
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #115 on: April 20, 2009, 11:06:42 AM »
1. Is it possible to add pictures? I mean to the Pdf. I don't know how all that works yet sadly.
2. Orcs should have a + 4 bonus to intimidate otherwise  they're just breaking even for taking the -4 to charisma if I'm not mistaken.

Collary as to why I asked about pictures: Adding pictures means we've essentially made a product nearly equal to the "pathfinder" changes and it's a free download. YAY! Robbypants goes in for the kill. 

\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #116 on: April 20, 2009, 11:38:03 AM »
1. Is it possible to add pictures? I mean to the Pdf. I don't know how all that works yet sadly. 
It wouldn't be hard, but it would drastically increase the file size.  Basically, I just write the thing up in Word, and I have a printer driver (PDFCreator) to export the thing to PDF.

My only concern is how it works to use copywrited images.  I don't have time to create my own artwork, and even then, I'm only so good and most anything I do is black and white pencil.  What were you thinking about pictures?  Stuff from existing WotC books?

2. Orcs should have a + 4 bonus to intimidate otherwise  they're just breaking even for taking the -4 to charisma if I'm not mistaken. 
They have a -2 Cha, so they net a +1.  Although, I'm not sure they need the -2 Cha, since it was removed from half orcs.  I could go on about whether or not you need three -2's to balance a single +4, but as we all know, penalties to anything other than Con almost never matter because you'll simply pick a class that isn't affected by those penalties.  So, really, all the -2 to Cha does is say that orcs shouldn't be bards, sorcerers, and paladins; it doesn't weaken the race.

Collary as to why I asked about pictures: Adding pictures means we've essentially made a product nearly equal to the "pathfinder" changes and it's a free download. YAY! Robbypants goes in for the kill. 
That's funny.  Until you mentioned it, I never even considered "competing" against Pathfinder.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2009, 11:56:07 AM »
They have a -2 Cha, so they net a +1.
   :banghead Doh'!
What was i thinking. .. ah well.

My only concern is how it works to use copywrited images.
Hmm... well... I'm thinking you can use copywrited images as long as you make a bibliography(or whatever that annoying credit thing from college english is called)  and as long as you're not actually "SELLING" the product. Otherwise you have to clear all the art. On that same note, more than likely... we could just ask around and get permissions frankly somewhere there's an artist out there dying for the publicity. Of course I could be looking from a wrong angle with this entire question...  if so forgive me I think I'm having some kinda weird day anyway.

That's funny.  Until you mentioned it, I never even considered "competing" against Pathfinder.
:twitch Well... Welcome to earth.
.................................................................................................

O..k... Seriously, though while I never stated that or even had thought of itas a goal anywhere, on some level I know that all they did for changes was jimmy with the classes and add a few house rules. Not really adressing the overall balance issues or the overpowered ness of some classes...
Following that they threw it outthere for open playest/"Very" limited critisicm.

So on some level both they and we did a simlar thing: a rules revision.
Thing is we never plan to charge people for it, it just out of love. Love to make a better game.
We aren't competing with them, but as far as variant 3.5 systems.
We end up being kind of a Non-profit competitor.
....course again... I've been awake for 22 1/2 hours now so it maybe the exaustion talking.
*damn* I gotta sleep. See you in 6hrs.
M_v

\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2009, 10:31:43 PM »
For the art, ask around DeviantArt if you see a piece you like, some artists would be happy to let you use their stuff just by crediting them.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

crashy75

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: April 24, 2009, 12:11:50 AM »

Also, does anybody know of a good place to host a 1/2 MB file for free?  Filefactory only seems to allow access some of the time, which can be a real pain in the ass.

Mediafire.com works pretty well. 
"Everything is vague to a degree you do not realize till you have tried to make it precise."

Bertrand Russell