Author Topic: Favored Class/Xp Penalty alternatives  (Read 8001 times)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
Favored Class/Xp Penalty alternatives
« on: September 24, 2008, 02:13:41 PM »
We've been talking about this a bit over at the house of "M' just throwing darts and decided to see what if anything someone could come up with.
Under this system humans and Half-elves of course would always get said benifit in addtion to exiting bonuses.
This means instead of mutliclass penalties you just get more out of not doing so to the extent that its actually a consideration to Prc or Multiclas out. Not much of one, but a small one.
Further, I of course believe in multiclassing but I do kinda like the favored class mechanic and explains why dwarven fighters are so hardcore. Meh.
Well Lets get started. :D
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: Favored Class/Xp Penalty alternatives
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2008, 02:21:32 PM »
Well I can see a bit of logic in each of the suggested poll options, but I don't think any of them really catch a good mechanic behind it. And 2 skill points is just too much, imo. You should probably add an "other" to the poll.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

AstralFire

• Bi-Curious George
  • Up the Ante
    • The Anteheroes
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2008, 02:50:33 PM »
A class is really something abstract in game terms, and I think stat bonuses and racial abilities really should be the extent of synergy or dissyngery between a race or class. A bonus for having Fighter levels, for example, doesn't work too well with taking Warblade or Swashbuckler or a class like the Beyond Monks Martial Artist, all of which can be flavored the same as a Fighter.

The Discussion Thread - Help!
Current Project: The Anteheroes System: 2nd Edition, a quick and tactical modern fantasy system.

Better to be stupid and humble than smart and arrogant. A humble man can change and improve. An arrogant man won't.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 03:01:37 PM »
The Conan RPG system (noted as one possible "other"):

+1 feat at first level in that class, one at 5th level (again, in that class), and one at 10th level (again).

However, if this is done, I would say that a human or half-elf must choose one class (any class, but it must be chosen at first level) as their favored class.

Getting +1 feat at 1st, 5th, and 10th level above and beyond racial features is otherwise just overpowered.

As to classes being abstract...

Dwarves are (commonly) dedicated to being Fighters and very good at it. That should be represented beyond +1 x level hit points, +1 to Fortitude saves, +1 to a couple checks, and minor combat bonuses very specific enemies.

That's not "very good at it". That's "useful abilities".

Personally, I would like to make it so that each class represents a pretty hard-to-shift-from choice, with each class being a distinct set of abilities (though not necessarily unique).

Being a Barbarian/Fighter/Monk/Rogue can probably be justified (at least to the person making the arguement for such a character) if you try hard enough, but if we really want to build characters like that, I'm not sure how a class based system helps character creation at all.

Seperate discussion, however.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 03:08:06 PM »
I was torn between the 2 skill points and the "get rid of it" option.  I chose the 2 Skill points, because this most closely resembled my suggestion of granting 1 skill point per level of favored class.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

RabidPirateMan

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 03:37:43 PM »
I vote get rid.  Its all fluff anyway, and it shouldn't make a difference if an Elf raised by Orcs as some sort of weird Barbarian takes Wizard levels, thereby awakening his long dormant racial supremacy at wizardry or something.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 03:54:10 PM »
Fluff is a good thing.

The only purpose game mechanics, of any sort, have is to represent in game terms what (to use a sample character from an essay on writing fiction in this genre) Gnorts the Barbarian can do.

Otherwise, characters are lifeless and meaningless blobs with indecipherable numbers like "AC" or "THAC0" or other things that make no sense outside the hobby.

Elves are naturally superior at being, and/or culturally encouraged to become, wizards.

All things being even, therefore, an elf should make a better wizard than a dwarf.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

AstralFire

• Bi-Curious George
  • Up the Ante
    • The Anteheroes
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2008, 04:02:56 PM »
I won't deny that the synergies should be better, but the way to fix it isn't with favored classes, which tie in only to one class rather than a breadth of things that a race should be good at. Racial substitution levels were a good start.

Current Project: The Anteheroes System: 2nd Edition, a quick and tactical modern fantasy system.

Better to be stupid and humble than smart and arrogant. A humble man can change and improve. An arrogant man won't.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2008, 04:07:51 PM »
Personally, I'd rather have a given race have favored classES (when possible), which represent what by nature and nurture the race consistently produces.

So for instance, Dwarves would have Fighters and Clerics.
Elves would have Wizards, Rangers, and Bards.
Half-orcs would have Fighters and Barbarians.

Not all races would have a wide array of choices, and an individual of any given race can only get the benefits for favored class for one class (representing what they, personally, specialized in).

Substitution levels are all well and good, but they're more "custom fit" than "superior because ____ make good ____."

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2008, 11:33:00 PM »
Given how much 3.x opened up the classes, and how common multi-classing has become, it seems silly to literally punish the PC for doing something that's not unusual. I don't see any need to try to make players stick to one class. I don't see anything wrong with multi-classing.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2008, 11:40:21 PM »
I do. If "character class" is meaningless, then I genuinely do not see why a class based system is worth the effort of balancing classes (as opposed to abilities and individual characters).

I'm not against multiclassing. But I do think it should be done with the acknowledgment that a class is a pretty serious commitment of time, training, and ability to focus on a given area..and that "But I want to have evasion/uncanny dodge/barbarian rage/spellcasting/pwn lawful" is often a way to get a more powerful character, rather than necessarily a better-suited-to-your-image-of-the-character one.

Take the "warrior priest" idea. The Cleric is already a martial priest. Do you need a cleric/fighter to do this? No.

AstralFire

• Bi-Curious George
  • Up the Ante
    • The Anteheroes
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2008, 12:07:36 AM »
The Cleric's a bad example because it's also really good at pwning face martially and Cleric/Fighter doesn't actually really add much of anything.

Most build ideas do include a level of competence in the RP concept. When people envision their characters struggling or failing, it's against something incredibly overwhelming usually, something that would give their teammates and allies trouble too. While I'm wary of enabling power for power's sake, someone who wants to play a Fighter/Wizard should be able to do so without feeling like the gimpiest little man ever.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2008, 12:10:26 AM »
The fact the cleric is really good at pwning martially is the point. The cleric already does "I am a priest" and "I am a warrior."

As for fighter/wizard and gimpiness...

Personally, assuming you agree to all the reasons that doesn't usually happen (no sleep and even less of a social life), it should be a viable option, if not as potent in either field as someone who concentrated on one or the other. (at the same character level).

Problem is, "higher level spells!" are so damn vital at higher levels, which is obnoxious.

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2008, 02:04:49 AM »
I do. If "character class" is meaningless, then I genuinely do not see why a class based system is worth the effort of balancing classes (as opposed to abilities and individual characters).
I fail to see how these two points are related. If you stick with a class, you get the benefits of the upper-level class features. If you multi-class, you get the benefits of mixing-and-matching class features. If we do the balancing, single-class and multi-class should be roughly equally useful (because "perfectly equally useful" is a wild goose chase).

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2008, 02:06:09 AM »
I'm of the mind that the penalties should be done away with entirely. Classes are just a construct designed to arrange abilities that a character might have into logical groups based on relative power level. Your character isn't a Fighter, he's a swordsman. Neither is your character a Wizard, he's a Scholar of the Great Art. Or what have you. And if that's the case, trying to give your character a set of abilities that better represents your character shouldn't penalize you, which is effectively what multiclassing penalties do.

Besides, there's a logic lapse. If maintaining multiple base classes poses a problem, why don't prestige classes do so? After all, they are pretty much by definition a specialization in a given field, which should require even MORE effort that standard multiclassing to maintain (between multiple prestige classes and/or a prestige class and an unrelated base class, such as Wizard and Nightsong Enforcer).
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2008, 02:26:38 AM »
Personally, as a fan of nonclass based systems, I think that prestige classes (other than those that improve/extend your regular class) should be a problem so far as "must keep all skills polished but only 24 hours in day GAAAAAAA! ::brain meltdown.::"

If classes are merely a construct, then I strongly vote for dumping them. They're an awkward and clumsy construct when constructing some characters.

Personally, I'd rather reward favored class users, if the concept (and classes) stay. Penalties for multiclassing come in when you're trying to balance being oh, a rogue and a fighter, which are different skillsets (even if "I have both' is fitting)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2008, 03:10:15 AM »
The quintessential problem with favored classes is that some of their choices are either illogical or make for some really half-assed mechanics.

"Hello. I'm a half-elf. Because I was born in a world where neither society of my parents' accepts me, I'm going to pick up a lute and impress people with my charms despite the fact I'm an outcast. Wait, if I could do that in the first place, why am I an outcast?"

"Hi, I'm an elf. I chose to become a wizard despite the fact that my already frail health will not improve without some serious exercise, which I'm not getting any of because my studies make me read 20 hours a day. On the plus side, if I survive long enough, I'll bend reality into a yoga pretzel."

"Durrr... me half-orc. Me Barbarian cuz me not know how do anything else."

"Hi, I'm a human. I can do anything I want as well as everyone else, cuz I'm just that sexy and flexible." *feeling the stares* "What? It's true."
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2008, 03:56:59 AM »
That is indeed the problem. Were classes something ithat "you pick a class and stick with it", humans being able to do "any" wouldn't be nearly as absurd.

But with free multiclassing, unless favored class is dropped entirely (which is not necessarily a good idea), humans inevitably profit more.

Bad arrangement.

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2008, 03:07:34 PM »
If classes are merely a construct, then I strongly vote for dumping them. They're an awkward and clumsy construct when constructing some characters.

That's not really an option. This is a rebalance of 3.5, not a rewrite of the whole system. Dumping classes requires a big, complex rule construction to replace it and, sweet jebus, who has the time?

But with free multiclassing, unless favored class is dropped entirely (which is not necessarily a good idea), humans inevitably profit more.

Once you drop the XP restrictions, why keep favoured classes at all? They go together, and once you drop one, the other becomes inconsequential. Dump 'em both. Multi-classing is a free option and a pretty smooth mechanic in 3.5. Just go with it, I say.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2008, 04:58:09 PM »

That's not really an option. This is a rebalance of 3.5, not a rewrite of the whole system. Dumping classes requires a big, complex rule construction to replace it and, sweet jebus, who has the time?

Once you drop the XP restrictions, why keep favoured classes at all? They go together, and once you drop one, the other becomes inconsequential. Dump 'em both. Multi-classing is a free option and a pretty smooth mechanic in 3.5. Just go with it, I say.
+1
If I wanted a classless system, I'd just play another game. I wish some other people would learn that.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"