Author Topic: DFA in Midnight?  (Read 2124 times)

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
DFA in Midnight?
« on: September 24, 2008, 10:23:13 AM »
So I'm thinking about preparing a Midnight campaign for some time later. And Gawain decided he wanted to play a DFA. It's a Tier 3 character in normal d20, but with all the nerfs on casters in this setting, I think it will move at least one tier up in this setting, while all the casters drop at least one. I'm curious on opinions wether or not this class could fit in the Midnight world or not. If not, what proper adjustments could be met? If too, I could still use the feedback to make up my mind.
Thanks in advance.

Shadeseraph

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: DFA in Midnight?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2008, 01:08:12 AM »
In my experience, Midnight casting system is even more broken than the standard D&D system if you use it right. Even only with core and Midnight allowed, you can get some stinking tricks just by using rituals, and it becomes even more powerful if you abuse splats. But that's only if you play it abusing the rules (Leadership + Rituals + Persistent Spell = win). That said, there are some advantages the DFA has. Mainly 2: As is, the DFA isn't detected or affected by astiraxes, and the usual dangers for spellcasters don't affect them. And DFAs don't need magic items so badly as other classes, so the magic items nerf doesn't affect them so badly.

For the first problem, it's easily solved: Count their abilities as magic for effects related to it. It will even limit his usefulness, because a repeated use of his abilities will attract enemies quickly.

The second problem is somewhat harder to solve. The Path mechanics is there in order to cover the gap that the lack of magic items leaves. But, given that most DFA don't need many items to work decently, they don't feel so badly the lack of bonuses, and can instead focus on getting the most from the path chosen (and many are lovely). I would call it a judgment call - If certain path looks too troublesome, don't allow them, but allow the rest because most of them don't add too much to a DFA. For instance, I wouldn't allow him Warg or Spellsoul, because the first allows for some abusive ideas, and the second feeds on the "I don't need magic items" base (you don't lose much by selecting this path compared with other paths, and your allies gain a lot from it).

Lastly, the lack of "required" feats for a DFA to work makes him the ideal ritual helper/utility caster. You may want to disallow him to pick Magecraft or Spellcasting feats.
[spoiler]
I hate mouth breathing fuckwits who go around spouting lies, even after being corrected on those lies, and that bait mods into helping to defend their wrongness and fail. I also hate the MBFs that don't understand the meaning of words, and that can't get a fucking clue.
Hey! I like spouting lies. It's very entertaining to observe how people on the internet are buffing their small egos by declaring victories over some stupid MBFs. :smirk
Also - I hate people who use too smart words that I don't understand. :mad

Hi Welcome

Go fuck yourself, because others won't do it for you.

Stop flirting you two.  :p
[/spoiler]

Vidar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
Re: DFA in Midnight?
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2008, 07:39:46 AM »
Thanks, I've considered the solution of your first problem already, but the second opinion helped alot, and I tend to stick with it.
The rest I'm unable to decide yet. It might still be a great while before we get to it, as my gaminggroup suffers from chronical ADHD.