Author Topic: The Totally Freaking Metal Thread  (Read 16457 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: The Totally Freaking Metal Thread
« Reply #80 on: June 18, 2008, 06:23:41 PM »
So, I just saw (among others) Def Leppard, Twisted Sister, Motorhead and KISS live last sunday. Twisted Sister and Motorhead from the front row as well :D

I'm happy :)

Also, this sunday I'll be seeing Airbourne, Cavalera Conspiracy, Iced Earth and Judas Priest live and in august I'm attending an Iron Maiden concert.

Life is good  :D

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: June 20, 2008, 07:10:31 PM »
Metallocalypse has to be the most brutal shit ever. I deem it totally supreme and badass.

"DO YOU FOLKS LIKE COFEE!"

I have them on my iPod, and no one outside of my gaming friends has ever heard of them.

I've been hearing a shit-ton of rumors about In Flames coming to the US for a tour, not to mention my friend says that my two favorite bands are preparing to tour together (DevilDriver and Demon Hunter in the same tour... I must see this happen!).

Has anyone listened to the new Disturbed album? They've switched from being all over the place to being almost nothing but pure metal in it. Indestructible is amazingly good. I've been hearing that Inside the Fire was made just so they could put it on Guitar Hero...

[spoiler][/spoiler]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: June 25, 2008, 04:52:43 PM »
So I saw Judas Priest live last Sunday and I was in the front row basically right in front of Glenn Tipton. It was frigging awesome!!! :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: August 03, 2008, 12:34:08 AM »
Meg doesn't know what Viking metal is. This is upsetting.

She must be taught about the awesomeness that is Viking metal!

I really can't describe it. It's just so fucking epic...you have to experience it. No description is worthy of describing that which is Viking metal.

I'll admit I don't know all of the band names-the only one that comes to mind is Ensiferum. But I've listened to a bunch of songs... and I love them all. Plus, it helps that I tend to find guys with long hair and bad attitudes extremely hot.  :D

A sampler of some music...

And CountAntioch, I'm so fucking jealous you got to go to Paganfest. My friend went to that and I begged him to take me with. Unfortunately, I didn't fit into his luggage bag.

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2008, 02:45:41 AM »
Korplikaani, Finntroll, and Eluveitie.

Meg, you might want to check out Eluveitie, for some reason, I vaguely remember you mentioning you liked celtic music.  Eluveitie is a celtic metal band.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Elephant Jack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2008, 08:56:24 PM »

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2008, 12:12:04 PM »
I saw Iron Maiden live from the front row about a week ago...
Best concert ever :D

And I got a pick from Dave Murray :D

That is all :P

~Bowen

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2008, 01:00:31 PM »
My hat sir, is off to you.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2008, 01:30:25 PM »
Thank you :)

fil kearney

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • KILLFEAR.COM
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2008, 06:23:41 PM »
The MOST metal thing is of course Mr Dimebag Darrell

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a bona fide internet FACT

Holy crap, +1 for truth! 

I am amazed Pantera has not been directly cited as very metal to listen to while gaming...
Vulgar Display is THE theme album to all Dark Sun campaigns I have ever gamed in. 
Backed up by Far Beyond Driven for variety. 

that and a fist full of ritalin got me through college. :p

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Androgynous Moose Hippy
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: November 07, 2008, 06:43:28 PM »
Am I the only person who truly believes that Dimebag was a only decent -- if that -- guitar player and not ZOGM AMEZAGINGIGNA?

You want some badass metal? Shit that'll really put hair on your chest? Go listen to Eyehategod and Acid Bath.

Also, Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Burger as "black metal" seriously? Seriously? Darkthrone, Arcturus, Ansur, Ambiex, Withered, Darkspace, Wolves in the Throne Room, Goatwhore, Behemoth, even Skeletonwitch. Then listen to Cradle of Bad Goth and Demon Burger.

One more thing, and this is directed at altpersona, hardcore is not metal. It's an outgrowth of the punk scene; it's punk on 'roids basically. And wasn't Suicidal crossover thrash and then turned into a rapcore group later.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2008, 03:02:02 AM »
I decided to take a quick break from my self-imposed moratorium because I had a very important thing to say.

Kurashu is showing the exact reason why I like metal but hate metalheads.

"Oh, you listen to music I don't like!  That must mean you're a poser because only people that think just the same thing as I do count!"

Kuashu, FUCK YOU.  Seriously.  Take your pussy ass "Oh, I'm going to make fun of Dimmu Borgir's name because I don't like them" and shove it up your vag.  That's fucking grade school bullshit right there, that's one step higher than calling them doo-doo heads.  Grow the fuck up, there are metal bands I don't like either, but you know what?  I don't care if you like heavier/lighter stuff than I do.  Because I'm not 12.

Although I confess a liking for Behemoth.  But that's not the point.

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: November 09, 2008, 01:26:46 AM »
I decided to take a quick break from my self-imposed moratorium because I had a very important thing to say.

Kurashu is showing the exact reason why I like metal but hate metalheads.

"Oh, you listen to music I don't like!  That must mean you're a poser because only people that think just the same thing as I do count!"

Kuashu, FUCK YOU.  Seriously.  Take your pussy ass "Oh, I'm going to make fun of Dimmu Borgir's name because I don't like them" and shove it up your vag.  That's fucking grade school bullshit right there, that's one step higher than calling them doo-doo heads.  Grow the fuck up, there are metal bands I don't like either, but you know what?  I don't care if you like heavier/lighter stuff than I do.  Because I'm not 12.

Although I confess a liking for Behemoth.  But that's not the point.

Calm down. Seriously. I'm not making fun of Dimmu Borgir's name because I don't like them. Well, I don't like them. Not the point. I make fun of their name because they are easy targets to make fun. Yeah, I don't like Cradle of Filth and Dimmu, but they aren't real black metal. Seriously. They aren't. That's why I take offense to them being called black metal. Because they aren't.

And it's not like you've never made fun of a band you didn't like before. Think about for a little bit and tell me you've never honestly done that.

As for the putting hair on your chest line, meh. Take a joke once in a while.

You like different bands than me? Awesome. I like a ton of stuff. And I like some stuff other people don't like. The Killers, Neutral Milk Hotel, Jonezetta. But at the same time I love a lot of heavy stuff.

You think I'm bad? I'm a joker, I seriously don't care if you like Dimmu as long as you don't say they are black metal. But really, you think I'm bad, you should stay away from the "metal is serious business" guys.

I love how I'm criticized for mocking Dimmu and not for calling out Dimebad as the subpar guitar player he is.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2008, 02:15:23 AM »
That's because Dimebag Darrel wasn't that great.  He's a better guitarist I'll ever be, but he doesn't even go in the top 50 as far as I'm concerned. 

kurashu

• Donkey Kong
  • K?
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2008, 02:30:30 AM »
Usually people go for the gut on that one. *shrugs* I guess someone agrees with me on that one. *highfive*

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2008, 11:59:30 AM »
This is why I love how I approach music.

I find stuff I like, I keep it, and if I REALLY like it, I'll even look for more or even go to concerts if I can.

But I don't really care who's in a band, or even how good they are*. I don't even know the name of half the albums I have, nor even of almost half the artists I have just from hearing a song.

That said, this thread is a great resource for my music finding. Keep it up.  :D

*[spoiler] Good and what I like aren't the same, though they can coincide. For example, I do not particularly like most songs from the Beatles, but I'd call you an idiot if you said they were not good at what they did. Similarly, I like a lot of songs that I know are garbage, like Bodies by Drowning Pool.[/spoiler]

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: November 11, 2008, 11:08:02 PM »
OMG...

This is probably the most AMAZING folk metal band I have EVER heard.

It's like sound sex!  
And let's not forget that the band members all have long hair and bad attitudes, clearly they'll be making an appearance in my fantasies (minus the drummer... but the chick can come visit my dreams)

Equilibrium-Blut Im Auge

Dammit Arioch! Why didn't you tell me about these guys!? I think you may have seen them before, they've played at Paganfest...

No matter... Oh god! I'm so happy right now!  :blush
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:15:53 PM by BobismyRhino »

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

Elephant Jack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: November 12, 2008, 03:51:44 PM »
New cd-buys...

NILE:
-Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka
-In Their Darkened Shrines
-Annihilation Of The Wicked

...all cds sound like various stages of frickin' awesomness...

BEHEMOTH:
-The Apostasy
...meh. I liked zos kia cultus, but this is a bit disappointing.

ABORTED:
-Strychnine.213
...some awesomness, some *meh*

PSYOPUS:
-Ideas of Reference
...I. Like. Mathcore/TechMetal. Since I know this style exists... so for about two months :D

@kurashu: You did listen to the old cradle tracks, did you? Those are mos def black metal songs. Sure, quite melodic, but black metal nonetheless. I did not listen to "thornography" and "nymphetamine" surely was not their best work, but "midian"/"cruelty..." is really solid metal.
And: Behemoth? Sounds a bit more like death metal to me, but there are enough bands that can't be pidgeonholed.

Keep on rockin'.

EJ

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2008, 11:25:47 AM »
OMG...

This is probably the most AMAZING folk metal band I have EVER heard.

It's like sound sex!  
And let's not forget that the band members all have long hair and bad attitudes, clearly they'll be making an appearance in my fantasies (minus the drummer... but the chick can come visit my dreams)

Equilibrium-Blut Im Auge

Dammit Arioch! Why didn't you tell me about these guys!? I think you may have seen them before, they've played at Paganfest...

No matter... Oh god! I'm so happy right now!  :blush

I didn't tell you about them because they're new to me too :p.