Author Topic: [3.5] Feat: Charge Counterattack (PEACH)  (Read 5087 times)

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
Re: [3.5] Feat: Charge Counterattack (PEACH)
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2008, 01:49:51 AM »
Hey, you know those fluffy-wuffy weapons you can set up against charges (they're called spears) for twice the damage on a successful hit? Well, normally, it'd be stupid for you to do that, because it would require you to win initiative, and if you did, then why aren't you attacking? (Not to mention, who'd be stupid enough to charge when they see you're ready for them?)

So why don't you do it like this?

Skewer Counter
People only realize it's a mistake to charge at you when it's too late.
Pre-requisites: Combat Reflexes, Expertise, proficient with spear
Benefit: You can set a spear against a charge as a free action. If someone charges you, you gain an attack of opportunity that deals twice the damage on a hit. You can only benefit from this feat as many times in a round as you have attacks of opportunity. Additionally, on a hit, your opponent's charge is immediately stopped unless he's wielding a weapon with reach.

"Why a free action?" Because you only get an immediate action per round. Also, if you're flat-footed, you can't use an immediate action. A feat that inhibits charging only gets limited mileage as is, imagine if you have to win initiative to use it...

Generally, I say no to feats that allow ranged attacks as reactions, if anything because it's hard to stablish a reasonable trigger for it.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2008, 01:56:20 AM »
I think that's a pretty solid idea.

I wish I could say "immediate action", but with only one a round...yeah.

Now we're moving somewhere.

I'd say you have to be able to act normally to use it (same with any "You are prepared"). So no using this in a surprise round.

Your mileage may vary, but that's my interpetation.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2008, 02:58:29 AM »
I should have specified that I wanted this idea for d20M as well as D&D, which is why I included firearms. In fact, I wanted to put this into my superhero system, so I can't repeat anything that's published and not OGL, which sadly includes most of the Complete books (at least last I checked).

Midnight: I'm afraid I don't know what a "setting sun manoeuvre" is. What book are you referring to? Just naming the ability doesn't help me to track down the text if I haven't read it already, which I clearly haven't or else I wouldn't have suggested something that already exists.

X-Codes: I like that line-up, but I am mindful of how expensive feats are (one every couple of levels, at best) compared to what they do, so I think I'd like to combine those into two feats, tops.

As for the bickering, there's a great rule on another forum where I spend a lot of time: assume good faith. Just assume it. Even if it's not there, if you assume everyone's speaking in good faith, the conversations don't end up with the kind of pissing contest that we see on page 1. I'm not saying you're bad people or that your opinions are invalid (being a jerk and being right/wrong are almost entirely unrelated things). I'm saying, stop being so friggin' touchy about everything and maybe you won't have this problem. Friendly advice from me to you. Do with it what you will.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2008, 03:07:24 AM »
Assuming people are speaking in good faith (95% of the time) is a good thing, agreed.

My comments are based on someone insulting me.

As to d20M and thus firearms...

In that case, guns away.

Suggestion:

At BAB +X (Not sure what) and Counter-Charge, get the Improved version (X-Code's feats)

I'm not positive on that, but it might do.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2008, 04:59:01 AM »
Orion: "maneuvers" refer to the abilities possessed by martial adepts in Tome of Battle. "Setting Sun" is a school of maneuvers (just like schools of magic).
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2008, 02:09:39 PM »
Thanks! I'll have to dig that up.