Author Topic: Welcome to the Gameologists Forum: Updated 08/28/08  (Read 29790 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Welcome to the Gameologists Forum: Updated 08/28/08
« on: October 18, 2007, 01:10:49 PM »
Attention: You must post once before you can access most of the Boards features

Enjoy! Share! Debate!... it's all good.

Rules will be made up pretty much based on need. The underlying rule of these forums are "Don't be a Douche". Just don't.  Anything that is douchey, leave outside.

Specifically, don't post things that would drive others away- so no hate speech, nothing overly graphic, and ensure your posts are adding to the community rather than detracting or keeping it stagnant (by spamming for example).

No language filters as of now.  Be warned!

No Editing-- Note, we will not edit posts for questionable content.  We may ask you to edit your posts and if there is something we feel needs to come down, we will delete the entire post.  By editing, we are saying we are responsible for what you say, and we're not even going to get into that territory.  There is a good chance something questionable could be up for a few days before anyone notices, but when we do, we'll probably delete, ask you to reword/ take something out and post again, or something similar. So don't mix a piece of crap in with the fillet mignon because the whole dish will get canned.  

Overall, enjoy and participate!

Edit 08/28/08
RULES:

Ok, as we've grown in members, it's time to nail down some rules.  Whenever possible, they will be presented in a formula format for easier understanding, easier for me to explain, and to keep in the Gameology spirit.  Again, these will be slow in coming, but watch for them.

1) Not all things are created equal.  
There isn't really a true sense of "fair" here.  Everyone will not be treated equally.  

Most things will be treated based on a person's "Value".  Let's call that your "V" score.
V= (C+M+2P+.5R) - 3H

Value=
Contributions to the forums (includes adding good ideas, humor, diplomacy, debate, new ideas, and other things that help build overall)
+ Maturity level (which will be shown by levelheaded responses to difficult situations, walking away from a bait, and when appropriate, a witty, thoughtful burn)
+ 2 x Podcast inupt (these boards are first and foremost for the podcast, so even someone who doesn't post in the general forums but gives feedback on the podcast ranks very high on the V scale)
+ .5 x Respect by other community members (The G-Fu score will play into here, but also how the other people with large V scores see you.  It's not a huge part, but this helps show me if maybe I'm way off about someone and being too hard on them.  If I think highly of you though, know that a low R score will never lower my opinion of you, it can only help)
- 3 x Hassle (how much of a hassle are you?  Do I groan when I read your posts?  Do you cause trouble?  Do I have to "clean up" after you?  Are you reporting 3 posts a day unnecessarily?  Basically, are you causing me extra work?)

The modifiers show the approximate weight of each score-- the Hassle is obviously the most important, so once in a while, even someone who contributes can have a negative image if they cause too much hassle.  

However, if you contribute a lot and have the other scores high, you will be able to get away with more.  This is where it won't seem fair.
Example:
Wooo...you want a cookie?
and
Uh...bullshit?...
and
I look forward to repeatedly taking your "214" IQ and fucking it like a virgin on her wedding night.

I laughed at this.  I didn't groan.  PI has proven himself to be worthy on many occassions, and even though this is pretty extreme, his Value score balanced it out.  

On the other hand, check out some posts I've deleted that were NOT balanced out in the Garbage Can.  Look for "Last Post by Meg".  I've enabled recycling so everyone can see what is deleted to learn from it.

NOTES: Just because someone has a high Value does not make them immune.  Also, value fluctuates.  If PI suddenly hassles me a lot, his posting style may become not appropriate.  

The subject of an "attack" by someone with a high Value isn't really considered, so the target of PI's comments above didn't play into my laughing at his comments.  It was more like *smile*, *headshake*, "Oh that crazy Shake" *laugh*.  

This isn't favoritism-- this is an objective look at who is valuable on these forums and who we want to be around to help us promote them and the podcast.  

No one registers with a negative score.  No one.  Even if you've been kicked off forums in the past, everyone gets an equal chance here.  

Sometimes I may know someone from real life or from other forums, which means they may start with a few positive points, but for the most part, everyone is welcome and everyone is encouraged to participate.  If you just want to "be here", that's fine too- just make sure you provide enough to balance out any hassle you may cause and you'll be fine.

This is a community for the Brilliant Gameologists podcast and web venture.  We want people around who we respect and who add to that community.

2) Stay on Topic!  
Again, check the garbage can for examples of posts which have gone off topic.  In the thread "What Turns you on?" post things that turn you on!  Not how much a date sucked.  In a thread about where the Moderators are for a weekend, don't fill it up with off topic chatter.

Sometimes a thread meanders and becomes something else, and that can be ok.  In general, stay on topic when:

• # of posters posting off topic/# of posters in thread < 50%
  • # of off topic posts in thread/ Total # of posts in thread < 75%

I don't want 2 people to take over a thread and start having their own conversation.  Look at the number of people first and foremost still on topic.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 02:46:02 AM by Josh »
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Zeke

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Welcome to the Gameologists Forum!
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2008, 11:29:39 PM »
And a further welcome to all those recently arrived upon our shores. Thanks for coming. May your nerd fruit be plentiful.

atanakar

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2008, 09:20:13 AM »
Gaming store forumsGaming compagny forumsBasement forums are often badly maintained and have few members.

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2008, 09:50:36 AM »
Basement forums?  ???
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 05:33:53 PM »
My guess is that this is a basement forum-- something not tied to a company and is essentially self-made.  We're really looking to outreach and word of mouth is the best form of marketing.  So go out there and spread the word so we don't succumb to the risk of a "Basement forum"!
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

atanakar

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 06:51:40 PM »

Josh

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 01:40:54 AM »
Gaming store forumsGaming compagny forumsBasement forums are often badly maintained and have few members.

There are actually a few good independent forums out there, most are focused on a specific aspect of gaming.  Like the Forge is for game design, Storygames is for story games and the ashcan front is for ashcans. 

The Forge = http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/
Story Games = http://www.story-games.com/forums/
Ashcan Front = http://www.ashcanfront.net/forums/

Part of the problem with these is, if you don't know about them you will never find them.  And once you get there these communities may seem insular.

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

benbalestra

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 07:34:21 PM »
Part of the problem with these is, if you don't know about them you will never find them. 

Since the demise of the "gaming hobby magazine", and the defense that "the Web will take that role", I have been saying exacting what you said above, although about a different subject.  It has been my hope that Podcasting could take over the roll of "getting the word out about new compaies and games" that the magazines use to do.

Ben
-------------------------------------
Host of Games You May Never Have Heard Of
Part of the All Games Considered Podcast

logan9a

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • GM of Heroic Cthulhu
    • Heroic Cthulhu
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 08:41:47 PM »
Part of the problem with these is, if you don't know about them you will never find them. 

Since the demise of the "gaming hobby magazine", and the defense that "the Web will take that role", I have been saying exacting what you said above, although about a different subject.  It has been my hope that Podcasting could take over the roll of "getting the word out about new compaies and games" that the magazines use to do.

Ben

That's an interesting thought.  I believe that podcasting is still in it's infancy.  We're talking about advertising (getting the word on games out there, etc).  For the last few decades, the big three have always been radio, TV and newspapers.  The problem with all of them is that they go out to a very general audience.  The herd has not yet caught on to the fact that there are podcasts out there that are about just things they are interested in.  In fact, podcasts are extremely specific.   For many people, this is a good thing.  Unlike blogging, podcasts can be listened to - while the brain is idle and the hands are busy, they provide something to think about and enjoy.  I think it is a growing thing but it will be years - perhaps decades before it really becomes big.

Logan
Heroic Cthulhu
Listen to Heroic Cthulhu podcasts
http://heroiccthulhu.mypodcast.com/index.html
The Heroic Cthulhu boards can be found at:  http://heroiccthulhu.proboards105.com/index.cgi

Josh

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 09:13:33 PM »

Ben

When I originally started putting this podcast together I thought that we would not be doing game reviews.  Several other podcasts are doing them as well as several text sites.  Then a few things happened.  First I tried to find a review for a game I was interested in, and found nothing.  Then I was reading reviews of a game I knew and was appalled by what I found. 

The problem with reviews on the internet is that the reviewer is typically some random guy.  He does not know anything about games or writing reviews.  And they never tell what a game is about.  Any review that gives a chapter by chapter synopsis, I don't even bother reading. 

So now my goal is to: step 1) get a body of reviews going, step 2) get some feedback on the process and step 3)refine the reviews based on that feedback.  (Oh and I can't speak for any other podcasts but we listen to and consider all feedback.)

I also want to cast a wide net.  People who like a game will look for news on that game.  When fans of one game come here and listen to my review of a game they like, they might be inclined to keep listening.

I would also like to think that our podcast might help people have more fun.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Clayc

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 02:10:10 AM »
Hi peeps.  :)

Meg, are you not checking/responding to pms on wotc anymore?

Either way, good luck with this forum, it looks super spiff.  :)

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 06:25:40 AM »

[awkward pause] ... I do remember having sex for the first time on this forum, so I guess that checks out.[/dry humor] By the way, Meg/Autumn, it's great. ;) Take that to mean the forum or sex as you see fit.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Clayc

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 06:52:37 AM »
Nox, did you ever play astro empires?

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 06:54:09 AM »
Nox, did you ever play astro empires?

I have actually never even heard of it. Would you care to explain? :)
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Clayc

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 07:00:20 AM »
nope, not you.  :P  nevermind hehe.   :blush

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 07:07:14 AM »
Oh, I see. I think that's one of the first times I've been mistaken for someone online (possibly the third, but my recollection is poor on this matter).
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 09:02:31 AM »
What are the stars under peoples names for and how many can one have? i think back in first grade i got like 30 gold stars and won a pizza party. Is this system any thing like that? J/W
thanks
-jabsco

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 10:57:29 AM »
Yes, when you have over 9000 posts you'll get a pizza party.

Handy Links

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 12:33:11 PM »
Don't make jokes like that, someone will start spamming to get the pizza :P
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 05:49:25 PM »
Don't make jokes like that, someone will start spamming to get the pizza :P
Game on. ;)
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]