Author Topic: The Ebullient Thread  (Read 133226 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: The Ebullient Thread
« Reply #800 on: June 30, 2009, 09:00:21 AM »
My recent bouts of being pissed off has had at least on good result, I've been more faithful to the gym lately.  I've made leaps and bounds in my physical conditioning.  I am slightly upset that I'm starting to lose weight, I wanted to stay at 300 and just replace it with muscle, I have accidentally dropped 20 pounds.  However, it's not really a setback so I'll keep going.

You can work out to gain weight, or to lose it.  You can't really do both at the same time, and each is done differently.  If you want to work out to gain muscle you'll be keeping most of the fat you have.  If you want to replace the fat you have with muscle you need to lose fat first, then build the muscle.

So don't feel bad you're going about it okay :D
Got any good tips or links for the losing fat and then bulking up thing?
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #802 on: July 01, 2009, 07:34:57 AM »

Got any good tips or links for the losing fat and then bulking up thing?

I've never tried bulking up, but I was given two suggestions by a trainer to lose weight:

1) Find a pool with water at least chest high, but no more than shoulder high.   It has to be indoors so you can use it year round, and level without a deep/shallow end.  Power walk as fast as you can from one side to the other 50 laps each day.  Minor word of warning: your energy will be gone when you're done.  Or at least it's gonna feel that way.

2) Vary your workout routine so your body doesnt get used to it and plateau.  Instead of doing an hour walking on a treadmill, or an hour running, do 15 minutes with it set to switch speed from a leisurely pace for a few minutes, to as fast as you can run for 1 minute, and repeat.  Set it to a higher incline too.

Now if only the county I live in would quit voting down having a gym installed...

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #803 on: July 01, 2009, 07:52:35 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely look into them after this weeks exams :)
(except for the water thing, seeing as I can't swim :embarrassed)
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #804 on: July 01, 2009, 07:58:21 AM »
Thanks for the tips. I'll definitely look into them after this weeks exams :)
(except for the water thing, seeing as I can't swim :embarrassed)
You hardly have to be able to swim if the water reaches your shoulders.

Handy Links

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #805 on: July 01, 2009, 12:43:59 PM »
If you can afford it, I highly recommend getting yourself a professional to train you. Sure there's money lost that way, but the benefits of it versus doing it yourself are considerable.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #806 on: July 01, 2009, 01:36:12 PM »
. You're like a bull elephant. LOL

That's what my grandmother used to say about me.  When I was 2.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

Shewolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #807 on: July 01, 2009, 01:58:48 PM »
You were in musth?

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #808 on: July 01, 2009, 02:23:36 PM »
No.  I was just abnormally strong and freakishly smart at a young age. 

To give an example, my mom left me alone when I was 2 for a few minutes, and when she came back I had the couch flipped over and was working on the chair.  From then on, she had me lift the couch so she could vacuum under it.

When I was about 4, I found a length of yarn and then proceeded to tie everything in the house to everything else.  My mom yelled at me because I had all the doors and windows tied shut and she was outside, but later told me she thought it was pretty funny recently.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #809 on: July 01, 2009, 02:31:02 PM »
When I was about 4, I found a length of yarn and then proceeded to tie everything in the house to everything else.  My mom yelled at me because I had all the doors and windows tied shut and she was outside, but later told me she thought it was pretty funny recently.
That's awesome.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #810 on: July 01, 2009, 03:05:27 PM »
Heh, kinda reminds me of how I completely demolished a hospital bed when I was about 4 years old and had just woken up after surgery.

According to my mom it was due to an extremely low blood-sugar level causing me to rage like no tomorrow, and not even 5 staff members could stop me at that point.

@Kuro: I'm just a poor college student, so a basic gym is doable, but nothing above average or really 'professional'.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #811 on: July 01, 2009, 03:22:19 PM »
Heh, kinda reminds me of how I completely demolished a hospital bed when I was about 4 years old and had just woken up after surgery.

According to my mom it was due to an extremely low blood-sugar level causing me to rage like no tomorrow, and not even 5 staff members could stop me at that point.

@Kuro: I'm just a poor college student, so a basic gym is doable, but nothing above average or really 'professional'.

Make sure you look for a gym that's relatively unpacked then. Most gyms have at least a couple of PE teachers who can give you hints and/or a hand in selecting the exercises you should be doing; some of them are quite good. Keep an eye out for teachers that look out of shape though, as they tend to not practice what they preach and therefore are unaware of the consequences.

The downside of such teachers, of course, is that you don't get their undivided attention, and therefore you need to really look into what you'll be doing. Above all, when exercising, remember not to overdo it. You need to work as close above your limit as possible but without "killing" yourself. Muscle gain is basically a repetition of a process in which you take slight muscle tissue damage, and once your body recovers, the fibers will be stronger. Losing fat, on the other hand, requires aerobics. You can't do both at the same time, but you should work in such a manner that you neglect neither.

I work out three times per week, Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays. On Mondays and Tuesdays I run; On Tuesdays I work the irons. I've gone from steadily gaining weight to maintaining it and replacing the fat with muscle over the course of nine months or so.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #812 on: July 01, 2009, 03:28:07 PM »
Yeah, losing weight is my first priority.

Once I've got that going I want to start with the muscle gain.

From the looks of things I'll be able to get about 2 sessions a week in, each about an hour and a half long.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #813 on: July 01, 2009, 03:51:34 PM »
Look into the rec department.  They often offer cheap memberships (I pay $30 a year for mine). 

Also, any exercise is better than none at all, but try to do at least 30 minutes of cardio every time you go (anything less than 20 minutes won't burn fat).  I don't split my cardio days and my strength days, I start with a half hour of cardio and then go into strength training. 

Learn to listen to your body.  Take it easy in the beginning, but try to cultivate knowing the difference between pain and injury.  There is a difference, pain you can fight through with enough wuillpower, but if you are actually injured stop immediately.  It's not always obvious, I am in a lost of pain most of the time due to various old injuries and other things, but times when I've messed myself up bad have been less painful than how my spine or throat feels pretty much all the time. 

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #814 on: July 01, 2009, 04:16:09 PM »
Pain isn't a problem, trust me.

Thanks for all of the tips, guys :)

The Lurker

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #815 on: July 02, 2009, 04:57:36 AM »
There's a good chance that I may have one of my best fridays ever this one coming up.  I went from fuming today to grinning with glee.  Details aren't important, but damn am I happy.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #816 on: July 02, 2009, 08:14:25 AM »
You're getting laid, aren't you.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #817 on: July 02, 2009, 09:21:50 AM »
I get Friday off and cousins are coming to visit that night!
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #818 on: July 02, 2009, 01:36:25 PM »
Today I had my last final. I also learned Tales of Monkey Island is coming for the PC this 7th of July.

Now if I get laid today, I can consider the day perfect.

For proof, look here:

[SPOILER]
Final Fantasy 7
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

The Lurker

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #819 on: July 02, 2009, 05:11:37 PM »
You're getting laid, aren't you.
Oh, I was probably going to get laid either way on friday.  That's not what I'm happy about.  Three people that have all been royally pissing me off are all going to be in one place though Saturday and I will get to rip them a new one (make a grown man cry in front of his best friends, make a girl that is a pathological lier be shattered into silence with a Hannibal Lecture for a couple hours from mental shock, and beat the crap out of somebody that threatened violence on me in self defense).  Seriously, three birds with one stone.  That's fucking awesome.

And THEN I might get laid, and later that night I might be rolling out to a party with two gorgeous chicks.

That's the ideal, at least.  Things may come up to prevent some of friday, but that's three epic wins in one day possible.