Author Topic: [Scarlet Blades] Game Thread  (Read 7526 times)

Schala_Zeal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
[Scarlet Blades] Game Thread
« on: September 15, 2008, 09:45:50 PM »
Chapter One: Twilight

The call from the Lhesh Haruuc Shaarat'kor has gone out across the land of Darguun, carried to the ears of those inclined to listen and obey.  Great care is made to avoid the notice of clans that might be less than loyal in their response and less than discreet in their acceptance.

Each of those who answer the call were chosen by their leaders for specific reasons, including loyalty and the possession of great skill their chosen areas.  They would need all of their skill to get through the mission that had been planned.

The chosen assembled in Khaar Mbar'ost, the massive tower created by and for the Warlord.  They have arrived in secret - entering as parts of larger groups and then making their way to the inner chambers where they are received by a dour-looking goblin wearing faded robes and clutching a worn book to his thin chest.  Once the last has entered, his name ticked off by the goblin attendant, the goblin closes the doors to the chamber, then turns and makes his way to a podium.  Once there, he meticulously shuffles a stack of papers for a moment, then takes a deep breath and begins speaking.

You are all wondering why you are here, I assume.  His tone is dry and seems overly pretentious - he speaks as a Cyran might and not as a goblin, even a well-educated one.  You were recommended as skilled individuals who were interested in glory and honor...  His drone is interrupted by the double doors at the entrance opening again.  A large, scarred hobgoblin enters.  He growls at the goblin:

That will be enough, Khaled.  I thank you for your service in this matter, especially ensuring that the accountants found the right supplies and funds for this, but the military side is *my* responsibility.  The goblin blushes slightly and quickly backs away from the podium, clearly not wanting to give offense to the hobgoblin.  You are here because we wanted the best.  We have a dangerous task for you to perform, but one that is essential to our nation.  Unfortunately, we have recently learned that our enemies are moving more swiftly than we had thought, so we will have to speed things up as well.  Any questions?

ZeroSpace

• Email
Re: [Scarlet Blades] Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 11:07:21 PM »
A tall, sturdily built Hobgoblin rises to his feet, his long beaded braids clattering against the chain shirt he wears. He speaks in a tone that tells of straight-forwardness. Only this, who are we fighting, and where do we engage them?
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 11:26:21 PM »
The scarred hobgoblin examines the speaker for a moment, then nods as if having reached some decision.  The Kech Volar - sometimes called the Blade Bearers.  They are seeking an artifact of our people that was lost in the destruction of the Dhakaani Empire.  They believe that it was plundered by the humans of House Cannith and then lost in the Mourning.  They are raiding Cannith sites in the Mournland to try to find the location of the relic.  If they find this item, they believe that they will unite the mountain tribes under their leadership and prepare to challenge the Warlord.

He gives a grim smile while a hand absently fingers a scar on his arm.  While our swords and spears would defeat them, the distraction might give our enemies a chance to strike.  He notices his fingers errant movement and stills them.  There are a few ways to carry this out.  The Kech Volar raiding parties seem to be entering the Mournland around the village of Gorgonhorn.  They probably use that town as a camp to coordinate from and resupply.  Finding and disrupting their base might provide a clue as to where they are looking and what they have found so far, and will disrupt their operations in the area.  Or it may be possible to track a group from the village into the Mournland.  You might want to just strike out on your own, trying to hit enclaves in the Mournland.

Blade2718

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Un4given Ghosts Scenario Paintball
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 12:52:04 AM »
The tall bugbear standing at attention finally seems to relax.

I serve only the will of Darguun.  When do we leave, how much carnage do you wish, and do we keep some of the spoils?

Lektor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 08:10:53 AM »

What sort of artifact is this? so that we may recognize and destroy it when it is located. It has surely been tainted by the vile magics of the cannithians by now

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 09:44:34 AM »
A small goblin sitting at the back smirks.  "What's in it for us?"
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 07:27:05 PM »
The hooded goblin that so far have been sitting silently, suddenly enters the conversation.

I second that question, though I do belive it is up to our own, loyal, mages to determine wether or not this artifact is tainted.

He raises an eyebrow towards the speaker, as to dare him to counter his argument.

Destroying something of historical value to our people, not to mention wasting resources that could prove beneficial to our struggles would be foolish. While I applaud your determination, I do think that this artifact may yet be of value to us.

He shifts his attention, now adressing the assembled goblinoids.

Travelling into the Mourlands are a risky buisness, regardless of personal prowess. Whilst I doubt there is any lack of power, determination or courage here, I do belive it would serve better against the town, Gorgonholm.

His tone carries no hint of sarcasm or taunts, it merely states what he thinks is an obvious point.

Men of my profession value information, mundane as well as arcane.
If we are to oppose a numerically stronger foe, information will no doubt help.

Of course, this does bring me to my personal goal, besides serving the Lhesh Haruuc.
Arcane lore. If we are to delve into Cannith sites, I have an interest in studying what we might recover.
After the artifact have been located and brought back, of course.

He doesn't sounds patriotic, rather, matter of fact.
You get the feeling that he serves the Lhehs Haruuc loyaly as much for his own benefit as any sense of duty.

As if he suddenly realize that his words may be taken as orders, or that his words were out of place, he quickly adds:

Of course, this is just my oppinion. You are welcome to dissagree. Making the best use of all avaible sources of strenght, whether artifacts or people, are my intention and to that end I will propose this course of action.
[Spoiler]
Quote from: Runestar
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

Quote from: Vinom
(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Zceryll makes Binders go from tier 3 to tier 2.
Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

Blade2718

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2008, 09:09:35 PM »
Sounds like a plan to me.  I've never been the brains of an operation, mostly the muscle.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 10:51:12 PM »
The artifact is a large many-faceted gemstone.  We do not know the type of stone or its color, but all accounts agree that it is roughly the size of the double-fists of a bugbear.  It is often called the Orb of Iryzlothos or the All-Seeing Orb.  It is said to have powerful properties related to future-seeing and scrying.  The Warlord would like it recovered intact, though if it will fall into enemy hands it should be destroyed.

The hobgoblin smiles.  You may go about the task however you see fit; only you are asked to minimize damage to and notice from anyone who is not involved.  Do as you will with any servants of the Kech Volar or the dragon houses.  But know that the Warlord will not answer for it if you fail - you will die on your own, should it come to that.  As for the rewards - any plunder that you gain from the Cannith vaults that is not a relic from the Dhakaani Empire is yours, as are any other items you might find in the Mournland.  There will be a substantial monetary award, but it will likely be a pittance compared to the wealth to be found along your journey.  In addition, you will be granted fertile land near Rhukaan Draal, positions of authority in either your own clan or the service of the Warlord, and the remittance of all taxes forevermore.  Upfront, you will each be given a thousand pieces of gold to ensure that you are adequately provisioned for the journey, wherever it may lead.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 12:16:35 AM »
A slight smile plays upon the goblins lips at the mention of plundering the Cannith vaults.

No contineous support, but a very lucrative prize if we succed. I can work with that.

A divinatory relic, it is?
Interesting. Well, I honestly belive it is in our nations best interest to obtain it and give it to the Warlord.
Though, perhaps given favourable circumtances, I might be able to glean something from it before we handle it over.

He studies each member of the group, briefly.

Now, this is an interesting puzzle... what kind of pieces to I have here, and where do they fit in best?
We need a group greater than the sum of its parts. We don't know each other, which is dangerous.
We could end up getting in each others way. So, the sooner I figure this one out, the better.
[Spoiler]
the most effective optimization is the one you can actually get away with.  :smirk

(A group of nerds are called a murder because like crows we are anti-social, like shiny things, and often squack at each other over nothing for hours)

I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Before giving the advice that build X would be better of with Fist of the Forest, take a long, good look at Primal Living. Twice.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 01:54:01 AM »
The short goblin nods with a bemused look on his face.  "Gettin' the enemy to pay for your mercenaries, eh?  Yer either very trusting, or very clever...  I'm in.  Ye can call me Slanter."
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

ZeroSpace

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2008, 03:24:16 AM »
The hobgoblin with the braids smiles, then speaks in a pleased tone. So we may kill those that oppose us, and take as claim anything we find that was not once the Dhakaani's property. This will be acceptable. I do so hope this proves enjoyable as well as lucrative. Are there to be any assigned groupings, or may we choose our... colleagues?

-My DM

Lektor

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2008, 04:04:50 PM »
We are not more than a handful present here... I would suspect that our grouping has already been decided

Looks at the Lhesh Haruk for confirmation.

We will need to move swiftly if this really is a divinatory item, so they do not use it against us. Even if it leads us into the mournland.
gaze goes blank for a moment, as if remembering something. She shakes her head shortly rattling the bones in her hair.
I have seen the edge of the mists before and know that nothing good or natural lies beyond. But if the blade bearers are going for what should be left in peace we need to stop them.
stomps a foot and snorts.

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2008, 06:40:07 PM »
Your grouping has been decided; work out any issues amongst yourselves.  If there are no more questions, may the Mockery give you wits and Dol Dorn strengthen your arms in battle.

[spoiler]The hobgoblin is not the Lhesh Haruuc, though he has not introduced himself.  If anyone has more questions, feel free to post them.  Otherwise, any in character stuff and preparations for the trip to Gorgonhorn.[/spoiler]

Nodaisho

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2008, 10:27:19 PM »
A goblin dressed in plate smiles, assuredly. "We shall succeed. Balinor will protect us, and I am sure that none of us are defenseless in the first place."
The more I see of people, the more I love my dog.

Blade2718

• Email
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 12:32:41 AM »
Indeed, not.  This is most certainly NOT a motley crew of human adventurers, stirred into the wild by a treasure map.  Ours is a purposed grouping, political, if not holy.  Outside of speedy transportation to the village, I only need to check my inventory of potions.  I should be ready within the hour.

Shadowhunter

• Hong Kong
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 08:05:19 PM »
Indeed, transportation is a factor I'd also like to delve into. Shall I assume the people here would prefer horseback? Or should we try to get a carriage? Mind you, that would draw a bit too much notice towards it, I belive.
I do not own a horse of my own, but I assume that will not be a problem to aquire?

He finish his statement looking towards the hobgoblin that gave them their instructions.

Other than that, I am ready to go.

He pulls up a sack from the floor and places it in his lap.

I have got everything here, I though we might need to leave in great haste.
[Spoiler]

[/quote]
[/spoiler]

Binder? You're Welcome

Cagemarrow is a Genius

Schala_Zeal

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 08:44:47 PM »
You can find good horseflesh in the marketplaces, the hobgoblin states humorlessly.

It will be easy enough to find mounts and other mundane materials costing up to 500 gp, magical up to 300 gp.  Let me know if you have specific things in mind that exceeds those.  Gorgonhorn will be much more limited.

ZeroSpace

• Email
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 09:27:54 PM »
Nope, I'm just gonna hunt around for a horse and some feed for it.

-My DM

Blade2718

• Email
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 09:44:53 PM »
So we shall meet at the gate in an hour?  If you have need of me, I'll be looking for the mageware shop.

OK, I'm just getting a horse, and several potions of enlarge person.