Author Topic: Help with optimizing my party  (Read 1514 times)

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
Help with optimizing my party
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:54:07 PM »
I'm currently DMingfor a group of players, most of which are in need of help. One of the players and I are trying to point them in the right direction, and I just wanted to see if you guys have any specific advice.

Party consists of (All Level 1 and in order of effectiveness):
Orc Barbarian (Whirling Frenzy & Lion Totem Spirit Variants) - Tripping/AoO
Human Druid - Wants to focus on Wildshaping, currently has Aberration Blood and Greenbound feats
Human Artificer - Wants to use use wands to blast, seems to understand the concept of battlefield control though
Lesser Drow Ranger - Archery-based (this one I'm probably most worried about as he doesn't get the idea that he should be working with the group rather than shooting anything that moves, but no amount of building will help that)
Lesser Aasimar Warlock - still not quite sure what he wants to go for, but likely going into Binder and then Hellfire Warlock eventually

I think everyone should be ok, but I'm a bit worried that maybe the ranger and the warlock will start to lose effectiveness in the long-run.

Everyone just leveled to 2, and I think the barbarian is the only one planning to multiclass at this point (fighter for a couple levels, then likely back to barbarian then crusader). The druid and the artificer both get that they're pretty much stuck in their classes, and we're looking for some long-term options for the ranger and the warlock.

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Help with optimizing my party
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 05:11:47 PM »
A basic Swift Hunter build should work nicely for the Ranger.

As for the Warlock, if he intends to go into Hellfire Warlock maybe he could then multiclass into Ur-Priest and that Invocation/Divine PrC (Eldritch Theurge?) from Complete Champion to up his Hellfire Warlock level for his Hellfire Blast damage and get some nice divine casting to boot?
A Bloodline (UA) might help to boost the damage as well.

Most of these classes have some great handbooks floating around either here or over on the old CharOp, maybe they can help as well?
You should be able to find them without much trouble.  :)

~Bowen
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 06:18:21 PM »
My concern with Swift Hunter is that we are playing with multiclass penalties and he had to be a Drow. :wall Plus he pretty much wasted his first favored enemy on Goblinoid (though it ended up working out well flavor-wise).

The Warlock may end up doing something like that with Cleric instead of Ur-Priest. (Eldritch Disciple from Complete Mage is what I think you're talking about?)

I've read the handbooks, actually. Otherwise the Barbarian would be the only decent one of the group. :)

wO-_-OdrOw

• Bi-Curious George
  • "I do not exist," we faithfully insist.
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 12:23:06 AM »
Otherwise the Barbarian would be the only decent one of the group.

34 damage!  :clap

[spoiler][/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 12:24:49 AM by MFLABIAS »
Mine's been a yard carefully surface-tended, foxes burrowed underground.
<--Warlord CCG, NOT DnD

woodenbandman

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 07:28:08 PM »
The only way, in my opinion, for a combination warlock/cleric to be effective is if that warlock is really a warlock-Ur-Priest. The lack of 9th level spells you will undoubtedly suffer is too much, and Ur-Priest is just plain awesome. Thematically makes loads of sense too.