Author Topic: SWSE: Damage of grenades  (Read 2250 times)

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
SWSE: Damage of grenades
« on: September 15, 2008, 04:04:43 PM »
We started a SWSE campaign recently, with me as DM. I was wondering, would be unbalancing to add an Armour Piercing grenade that did 8d6 energy damage to one square, 4d6 slashing to adjacent squares, only usable via a grenade launcher and costing 1000 credits a piece?

Thanks in advance!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2008, 05:45:35 AM by GawainBS »

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
Re: SWSE: Damage of grenades
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2008, 02:08:12 AM »
Hmm...

Sounds a little powerful to me, but I don't have the book with me for reference.  I'll check it out when I get home.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2008, 05:47:30 AM »
Maybe it is. Another solution: 6d6 to one square, 3d6 al adjacent ones, and ignores 10 or 5 of a vehicle's/object hardness/DR ? Seems more in line with the AP effect.

AnimeSniper

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »
Maybe it is. Another solution: 6d6 to one square, 3d6 al adjacent ones, and ignores 10 or 5 of a vehicle's/object hardness/DR ? Seems more in line with the AP effect.

This sounds good... but would it going to half of the 3d6 roll, i.e. half of rolled 15, after the adjacent/joining squares for damage to anyone two squares from the blast?  Because shrapnel is indiscriminate and merely loses energy the farther out it goes?  Let me check with my group on this

backstabbist

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Twice abandoned by the WoC
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2008, 03:51:55 PM »
You could always go Oldschool with the Anti-Tank Dagger

• Is this an AntiPersonel grenade that is armor piercing?
  • When you say it is from a Launcher only, is that a small under gun launcher like 40mm m203 or a large defice like the RPG7?
  • What is the standard frag grenade damage in your system?

Assuming it is an antipersonel future grenade, and RAW bodyarmors dont have Hardness/ER, just use 50% of the damage as Energy type 5'r RefDC20 and the other half as a seperate Slashing type 15'r RefDC15.  The energy damage is not affected by nonHard/ER armors, such as the classic Armor As RD option rule.

But you dont need any slashing, just do it like a energy grenade to leave most armors behind.
One big problem you will encounter is that Armor Piercing is done by concentrating the power on one spot, but grenades are all about spreading out the power.  In a modern sense, one can make an ArmorPiercing grenade, but there would be fewer Spikey-er bits with more penetration: A standard 4d6 grenade would get Ignore5 Hard/Armor but a 5 lower RefDC because there are fewer spikes in the air.

When not specified, the gun is always a m1911
Convetional spelling is for the Uncreative
5.7fn : Can a slug that only weighs 31gr still be called a slug?
Quote from:  Leadership Diplomacy Check
If that procedure is beyond your ability,
just say so & I will go get a 12 year old little girl to do it for you.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2008, 03:58:15 PM »

This sounds good... but would it going to half of the 3d6 roll, i.e. half of rolled 15, after the adjacent/joining squares for damage to anyone two squares from the blast?  Because shrapnel is indiscriminate and merely loses energy the farther out it goes?  Let me check with my group on this

To be honest, I don't understand what you're saying. My idea is that the grenade does 6d6 damage to one square, ignoring 5 or 10 of the vehicle's hardness (if the target has it), and doing 3d6 damage to each square above, below, right, left and diagonally of the center square.

Backstabbist: Star Wars Saga Edition d20 system is heavily modified, so your suggestions are moot. One thing I can answer: it's fired from an underslung grenadelauncher like the M203. The grenade's primary purpose is to give infantery some AT power.

AnimeSniper

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2008, 04:25:29 PM »
In the center square you have 6d6 (MAX 36) damage, ignoring 5/10 of a vehicles hardness with another 3d6 (MAX 18) to the adjoining squares... what I am merely saying/asking is that is halving the damage done by the 3d6 (MAX 9) to any square outside/past the adjoining squares reasonable?

Black 6d6
Red 3d6
Yellow Half 3d6 roll

And on a tile grid it resembles as below;

Square-Dam
Square-Dam
Square-Dam
Square-Dam
Square-Dam
Square-Dam
Square-Dam
Grenade-Dam
Square-Dam
Square-Dam
Square-Dam
Square-Dam
Square-Dam
Square-Dam
Square-Dam
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:27:59 PM by AnimeSniper »

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 07:49:54 PM »
I don't think it would be unreasonable, but I don't think I'd use it. Just to keep things from getting to complicated.

backstabbist

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Twice abandoned by the WoC
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 08:43:24 PM »
If it is AntiArmor (Tank/Vehicle),

You could do it like HEAT 40mm:
Do about 4d6 (or 6d6) Ignore 10Hardness/Armor as a RangedTouch attack
with a 5'r 1d6 splash for the squishies (infantry)

Put whatever cool name you want on it, Ion Drill Muntitions or whatever
When not specified, the gun is always a m1911
Convetional spelling is for the Uncreative
5.7fn : Can a slug that only weighs 31gr still be called a slug?
Quote from:  Leadership Diplomacy Check
If that procedure is beyond your ability,
just say so & I will go get a 12 year old little girl to do it for you.

AnimeSniper

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2008, 09:37:34 PM »
Not really complicated... PC throws a grenade which bounces off the tank but makes the Unarmored infantries AC, roll damage & cut in half for 3d6 then cut in half again... Those within the square FULL Damage, Outside Half, and anyone left is really wounded.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 09:45:25 PM by AnimeSniper »