Author Topic: Lledrithiedig Choedwig  (Read 28925 times)

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
Lledrithiedig Choedwig
« on: September 12, 2008, 02:17:41 PM »
Winterhaven has been a small town, tucked up against the northern mountains, for many years. Nestled amongst the trees and fed by a small brook that watered the town, little has disturbed it for quite some time. Even the traders often do not come this way, for there is little worthy of their attention here. Even the farming is peaceful, for despite the northerly location, animals have not ravaged the crops or the barnyard cattle. Only in winter is there danger, and that from the wolves that trail down out of the mountains, searching for better food in the valley forests.

Idyllic and quiet, Winterhaven has recently come under the threat of an Orc band, come down out of the mountains and into the valley, apparently in the search for a better land and easier life. Setting up camp in the forest, they have hewed themselves a small fortress in a clearing, and sent demands of tribute and slaves to the village. When those were not met, a raid carried away many of the young ones from the village, and those who resisted were slain.

There have only been a few from the town who have chosen to stand up to those orcs after that first assault, and it is now upon their shoulders to head into the forest.

[spoiler]Currently, you're all in the centre of the town, possibly at the tavern :P

Combat heavy, and will hopefully run from at least 1 up to 15+

And no, not as inventive a start as I would like, but I needed to get this campaign going. It will wander as it travels.[/spoiler]
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
Re: Lledrithiedig Choedwig
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 03:11:35 PM »
Roy kicks his heels up on the table in the tavern. He watches a smelly dwarf making a fool of himself at the counter, something about payment taken without fulfillment of duties. Roy muses while looking at his untouched mead. I should be heading out to save those villagers from the orcs, but I doubt I could do it alone. Everyone knows that when you need adventurers, you need to look in the Inn. Someone should be here any minute, looking for help...
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2008, 04:31:12 PM »
[spoiler]nothing to see here[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:46:45 PM by Ieniemienie »
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2008, 05:51:53 PM »
Guthfrith stumbles into the inn, his too-tight leather pants squeaking. His black, sleeveless shirt reveals pathetically frail arms, pale and crisscrossed with fresh, still-bleeding cuts and old, welted scars. His greasy black hair hangs down over the left side of his face, and his neck is circled by a rusting piece of barbed wire.

Oh! Woe is me! My farm was reduced to charred cinders! My crops are nothing more than ash; blacker than the depths of my soul. My hearth has gone cold; colder than my heart. I could not fight these brutal beasts, could not stop them from crushing what little in this dark, dreary existence held any meaning to me.

Will no one help stop this madness!?

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 07:42:35 PM »
Roy practically leaps to his feet. "My club shall aid in driving out this menace. He looks around the inn doubtfully, "Will anyone stand with me?"
Currently playing:
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2008, 03:16:02 PM »

Attila Priscus walks into the Inn a few seconds after Roy makes his sudden exclamation. With a low, harsh voice with a hint of a fire-like crackle, he says  Your`e blocking the door.  Move.  He shoves the skinny thing in his way unceremoniously aside and walks over to the  bar, whispering to the barkeep who brings him hastily a big beer before he sits at corner table, back to the wall. He ignores anyone talking to him, hoping they will leave him alone. He`s wearing a black travellers coat, hood pulled over his face. You notice his clothes look like that of a noble, but they are worn and tattered. Under his cloak you see a hint of a huge weapon carried on his back. (His greataxe, but you dont know that)

Guth: You smell a hint of sulfur in Attila`s breath when he whispers in your ear.
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2008, 03:30:06 PM »
Those in the bar glare at the rude and unceremonious entry of Attila, unhappy with his presence. One of those old men drinking in the bar perks up, responding to Roy's outburst. "Well? Are there none at all with the stones to follow this man? I would go, but I am too old to kill more than one Orc. Those of you who are fit and young are cowards if you do not." Rounding on Attila in the corner. "That includes you, you ill tempered lout. You wear the clothes of a warrior, but sit in a bar rather than out there, fighting." Looking around one last time, he cries out. "Are there none with fortitude and strength?".

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 03:37:26 PM »
Big words for a half dead sack of dried bones... Attila mumbles just high enough for anyone with an unusually high listen to hear. (I.E. any normal PC.) His voice carries a hint of old darkness that disturbes those who hear him.
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2008, 12:58:15 AM »
Oh... Woe woe woe...

Even my attempts to find salvation cause only strife.

I am but a worthless shell, unfit to be aided in my revenge. Unworthy of the attentions of any so brave or strong as to face the monsters that have done me so much wrong.

Guthfrith looks at Roy.

You might as well not bother either... I'll just go to them alone, have them finish what the started.

With a sign, Guthfrith turns and walks outside, wondering towards the forest that the he saw the Orcs headed towards after burning his farm.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2008, 01:09:43 AM »
Roy mutters a choice dwarven curse and dashes after the man. Stop! If you truly wish to commit suicide by proxy, then be my guest. But I intend to vanquish this Orcish menace, even if it means I fight alone. One more arm, no matter how frail, would be a boon against this foe. A single Haugar barbarian was no match for all but the weakest of foes, but when he had an ally to watch his back, he became an unstoppable force. Roy holds his club up for Guthfrith to see, I am in a position to know of such things.
Currently playing:

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2008, 11:35:41 AM »
The man in the bar rounds on the barbarous creature in the corner again. "You are more afraid of those orcs than a poor wounded man? You should be ashamed of your actions and your acts. Should your father's soul be watching you, may he curse you for cowardice! I will not spend my days in the company of a wastrel and a weakling." So saying, the old man finishes his drink and marches out the back door of the tavern, leaving the vile thing to sit in his chair.

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2008, 01:52:06 PM »
My father didnt have a soul... They say my mother did, once. After the old sucker left, Attila continues to drink his beer, completely undisturbed by the looks people give him.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 12:24:59 PM »
Shaedof also sits in the Inn

[spoiler]Afraid to say anything else[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 12:50:02 PM by Ieniemienie »
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 05:42:16 PM »

"Victory comes to those who remember the lessons of the past,those who do not drink only from defeats cup," a booming voice rises from an ubiquitous dark  corner and lingers amoung the rafters. "I will join you, who knows of the Haugar's rage, insofar as to least discern if these people can be saved."

A tall inhuman figure stretches out from a low chair and throws a coin to the barkeep, and takes unhurried but naturally long strides to the door. He stops and turns to large warrior at a table and considers him briefly. A scaled horned face no more human than a demon is seen in the hood for that glance. Turning away he walks up to Roy and the presumed farmer.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 05:49:29 PM »
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 05:54:05 PM by AlisAtAn »

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 09:41:25 PM »
You both really mean to help? This is so wonderful. I have never felt such hope in my black, joyless life!

Let us go and share this pain with those beasts!

Guthfrith sets off, his razor-blade held high in triumph.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 11:03:12 PM »
  Walking alongside the 'farmer', Vargon says. "Actually, no," and puts a heavy hand on his shoulder. "Or at least not until I hear more from you. Who has ever seen a farmer dressed thus? Your story and appearance reeks like old cheese human. Speak quietly and consider running only if you choose ... unpleasantness."

[spoiler]Not sure how you want to run this. Sleight of hand, grapple, bluff, what should I roll? Apologies btw Ejo  ;)[/spoiler]
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 01:23:29 AM »
And what of it if his story doesn't ring true, behemoth? My own story would be called unlikely by most who would not simply pass it off as false. You ask this man to divulge his story without relaying your own. Roy replaces his club in it's loop and crosses his arms across his check, But I wouldn't mind hearing a bit more of the situation before charging in.
Currently playing:

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 09:40:50 AM »
I am from elsewhere... A place of sorrow and pain, of sadness and darkness. A place cruel and twisted and mean, and I gave so much of myself to try to fight it, to flee the pain and hide from the darkness...

But then there was no one else to give myself to but the land, so I found a place where I thought I would never again be disturbed...

Until the orcs came, burning and hating... Bringing all the pain back again.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »

"You are not a native then .... this explains your mode of dress, and appearance. Who are you and where did you originally come from?"

« Last Edit: September 20, 2008, 09:17:15 PM by Straw_Man »