Author Topic: Modern Back in WoTC D&D forum  (Read 4757 times)

trappedslider

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Modern Back in WoTC D&D forum
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 11:29:49 AM »
I might have stayed, but as it is I'm not likely to return.   :-\

...not likely to return, unless Trappedslider organizes a cool d20 Modern character design contest.   :study

so far so good..may even become a monthly thing...
All the above statements are true in some sense, false in some sense, meaningless in some sense, true and false in some sense, true and meaningless in some sense, false and meaningless in somesense, and true and false and meaningless in some sense.

nedleeds

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2009, 11:40:59 PM »
I see quite a bit of angst towards WotC dropping d20. As a relative newcomer I can't help but wonder why? What more would you even need / want from them? Between d20 modern and Spycraft 1.0 (all of which are available for 10-20% of original cover price) I don't need anything else from them. Even if they 4e'ed d20 Modern why would you need it?

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2009, 01:12:00 AM »
I see quite a bit of angst towards WotC dropping d20. As a relative newcomer I can't help but wonder why? What more would you even need / want from them? Between d20 modern and Spycraft 1.0 (all of which are available for 10-20% of original cover price) I don't need anything else from them. Even if they 4e'ed d20 Modern why would you need it?

For one, some serious errata is needed on the supplements, particularly Future.  Beyond that, there was a thriving d20 Modern community on the WotC boards, and they all but destroyed it.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

nedleeds

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2009, 01:31:09 AM »

For one, some serious errata is needed on the supplements, particularly Future.  Beyond that, there was a thriving d20 Modern community on the WotC boards, and they all but destroyed it.

Oh ok, I hadn't read my $2.00 copy of Future quite yet. But for $2.00 I can't expect perfection. Shame that they wiped out another message board, from a cost perspective a few extra rows in a database certainly weren't hurting them.

backstabbist

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
  • Twice abandoned by the WoC
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2009, 04:15:08 PM »
Oh ok, I hadn't read my $2.00 copy of Future quite yet. But for $2.00 I can't expect perfection
but for $29 or whatever retail we paid back then,
we expect some compatibility between Infantry Mechs & Ships,
and demand even basic editing.

It is not a question of When will WoC fix it,
but a question of Why is Woc refusing to fix it.

They had/have a forum board where they could easily put an Official Erratta PDF in a sticky.
They have a Modern web site where they could have an Official Erratta PDF.
.... yet they choose not to.

They put out Future Tech,
which turned out to be just more Bondo on the wrecked rules.  It tried to fit in or lay ontop of the messed up rules rather than FIX the messed up rules.

You say you dont mind a crummy book for $2.
Problem is, it is a $29 book that is soooo bad it now sells for $2.

We players were trying to fix the stuff in the forums, but WoC decided to run the forums thru a blender a few months back.  Now it is a pain to find old posts and deal with broken links and rummage thru Archives to refer new guys to old fixes we did.
When not specified, the gun is always a m1911
Convetional spelling is for the Uncreative
5.7fn : Can a slug that only weighs 31gr still be called a slug?
Quote from:  Leadership Diplomacy Check
If that procedure is beyond your ability,
just say so & I will go get a 12 year old little girl to do it for you.

nedleeds

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2009, 01:33:53 PM »
I guess I see your point. Had I paid retail for any of those books I'd be horribly dissappointed. That being said any forum holds the right to destroy itself, and you can't take it too personally.

I didn't have much luck getting anything out of those supplements. I've run some games of Spycraft 2.0 (which is what I wanted D20 Modern to be), and leaned on some of the free adventures from WotC. The reason I was even over there was my players wanting to try a more 'real' modern RPG, so I was going to try plain vanilla D20 modern.

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2009, 03:56:09 AM »
The real tragedy is losing the documents, but speaking as an academic, it's always up to "you" (whoever that happens to be) to protect your documentation. That's why one of my little contributions to this kind of thing is to pester people about where they're saving their information, 'cause as you say, any forum can implode at any time. You just can't count on them, especially if it's in a company's interest to nuke the forum because it sells a game that they'd rather just died, instead of the brand-new system they're pushing like mad.