Author Topic: D&D Equipment [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 81873 times)

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
Re: D&D Equipment [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #280 on: October 06, 2008, 02:01:14 AM »
LOL indeed. After 4+ hours of gaming, perhaps a beer or few, perhaps I'm getting hungry, I don't want to stare down yet another list of 3-digit calculations for my character's weight.

I think I made a mistake on the scale of the WP concept. Subtract the weight of everything by 1; the point is to not only abstract but to make the actual STR score work for carrying items without actually using that stupid chart on page 90-something of the PHB or whatever.

One could do away with math entirely; all items have a category of Feather (negligible), Light, Medium, Heavy, Drag (character can't pick it up; only push or pull), and Impossible.
Items have a default weight type, but the STR score would push an item's category up or down one or more steps.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
« Reply #281 on: October 06, 2008, 02:13:11 AM »
I don't disagree entirely. Personally, the character's weight should be something about right for that height...and if it actually matters, we can get to it then.

As for the chart: I don't mind the chart.

As for the variant: In say, FUDGE, I'd be on this like a hungry tiger. But I don't want to introduce it to D&D or any game that does do detailed rules.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #283 on: October 06, 2008, 02:35:32 AM »
Well, to be brutally honest, if adding 25 and 30 is too much math for you, playing a rpg is probably not a good idea.

I don't mind simplifying the chart so that it makes some freakin' sense, like say "Light is up to Strength x2, Medium is up to x4, Heavy x10" or something.

But I don't want to do the abstract simplification.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #284 on: October 06, 2008, 05:04:18 AM »
Weight simplification works best as an alternate rule though, most people don't usually mind adding weights up, unless they are playing a low str character. Could broaden the weight reduction for size rule to include all worn items though(cloaks, hats, etc).
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #285 on: October 06, 2008, 08:37:45 AM »
I've always used encumbrance rules. I've never had an issue (nor have any of my players, and I've had some pretty math challenged players) with them. How often are you swapping gear that you have to frequently recalculate your total carry?

And on the nature of small vs medium with encumbrance, it's really not that big an issue. If you're carrying enough stuff on your halfling rogue that you're having encumbrance issues, put it all in a haversack. If 5 lbs + armor + weapons puts you into medium load, you need lighter armor or something. Remember, encumbrance isn't additive with armor penalties, you use whichever is higher. Medium load and wearing medium armor have the same penalties. If you're wearing full plate? Push yourself to the limits on you capacity, it won't hurt you any. By the time this usually makes a show of it's ugly head (in terms of godawful amounts of loot), you are most likely going to have access to pocket dimensions in one way or another, through loot, purchase, or manufacture. If you're intentionally playing a low enough strength character that basic necessities of life (like my friends who have a spellbook and spell component pouch that puts them at the limits of their carry capacity into medium), then you need to play that character thinking like they would, and either cut down on gear, or work up another method in combat. Out of combat, encumbrance isn't an issue. Ever. (Unless I've missed a rule that says being in heavy load imposes penalties on overland travel). In combat if it's an issue, just drop the backpack/sack/basket/whatever you carry stuff in to get into light load. Pick it back up afterwards, no biggie.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #286 on: October 06, 2008, 08:45:01 AM »
Other than how encumbrance reduces base speed (which determines overland movement), there's no special effect.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #287 on: October 06, 2008, 09:00:47 AM »
Encumbrance does give a penalty to a bunch of skills, much like armour check penalties (in fact, exactly like them).  This is why it matters so much for Rogues, who are wearing light armour and want to avoid such penalties as much as possible.  So yes, it definitely matters out of combat.  The statement "Out of combat, encumbrance isn't an issue. Ever." is simply false.  Likewise, the fact that it doesn't stack with armour hardly matters for Rogues, who aren't using medium armour anyway.  Medium load gives a -3 to hide, move silently, and a host of other important Rogue skills, while also lowering max dex to AC to +3, which matters a lot when you're dealing with traps (or worried about getting jumped if you get seen while scouting).

Again, it's critical for Rogues.  It comes up for scouts too.  It's not an issue for Fighters and the like who are in heavy armour anyway.

JaronK

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #288 on: October 06, 2008, 09:58:38 AM »
Okay.  Somewhere along the lines, I lost track of what the argument is about.

I don't see the encumberance system as it is written as a problem.  It's not that hard to use.  It provides a decent balancing factor for those who would dump their Str score.  If a group decides it's a  pain in the ass, they can easily drop it and house-rule it out.

From a balance standpoint, I don't think it needs any modification.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #289 on: October 06, 2008, 10:04:05 AM »
Elennsar: The relevant table is 9-2, same page as carrying capacity, page 162, for reference.

Jaron: I wasn't trying to mean that it doesn't matter, it can definitely make a difference if you've got to sneak into somewhere against alert or hard to avoid sentries or the like, but once again, if you've got to infiltrate something carrying enough crud to put you into medium capacity, you either need to a) have a temp buff thrown on your strength because it sucks pretty hard, b) consolidate the unnecessary crap out to leave with the other people in the party until you get back, or c) utilize the access to dimensional storage.

Since the only skills taking a check penalty are balance, climb, escape artist, hide, jump, move silently, sleight of hand, swim (twice), and tumble, I see only two that really consolidating gear down, or just flat out dropping gear won't immediately solve: Escape Artist (depending on the situational use), and Swim (and that just kind of sucks, but hey whatcha gonna do?). The rest, except in an absolute emergency type situation, could easily have gear left to be recovered after the check is done, or you probably shouldn't have your entire adventuring arsenal with you while doing in the first place. If the gear can't be left (balance over thin bridge over an environmental hazard, for example) and the -3 is really that big a problem for you as a rogue, I guarantee the rest of the party is screwed. A small rogue with crappy Str isn't going to be hosed in those situations anyhow, because even with the -3 I'm fairly certain he'll still have a higher modifier to add to the roll than most of the rest of the party. And once again, in combat, drop the carrying device when it starts that has your extra food and such (the non-combat essentials tend to weigh the most, coincidentally) and you won't have to worry about that +3 dex cap to your Armor. That's what I meant when I said "Out of combat, encumbrance isn't an issue. Ever.". If the work around is easy and doesn't take any time or effort to accomplish, then it's not an issue. Not any more of one that keeping track of durations of spell effects and the like, at least, imo.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #290 on: October 06, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »
Well, overall, I don't think encumbrance needs a fix, it works fine as is, though it might be stated more clearly that Small cloaks and worn magic items weigh less(which, considering that the various outfits have their weight reduced, and comprises essentially of the same things sans magic, should be the default anyway).
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #291 on: October 06, 2008, 08:43:06 PM »
That seems fair enough.  If you apply some common sense, it works well that small-sized items are half the weight.  It's just a matter of realizing which things wouldn't be small (such as the lock picks mentioned earlier).
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #292 on: October 06, 2008, 08:54:55 PM »
Also, realize that magic items resize.  If smaller magic items weigh less, you end up with halflings holding all the loot so the big Barbarian can carry the halfling and the loot and it weighs less that way... or some other such nonsense.  That's the issue with the idea of magic items weighing less if they're small, because now you have to define the size of the magic items and that's just bizarre.

JaronK

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #293 on: October 06, 2008, 09:02:15 PM »
So who's up for making Str give HP bonuses? (or part of it anyway)
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #294 on: October 06, 2008, 09:02:52 PM »
What?  No!  Absolutely not!  Are you trying to make Warhulks insane?

JaronK

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #295 on: October 06, 2008, 10:25:00 PM »
I'd rather not.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #296 on: October 06, 2008, 11:01:00 PM »
What?  No!  Absolutely not!  Are you trying to make Warhulks insane?

Well, how else do you propose to increase the usefulness of Strength, really?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #297 on: October 06, 2008, 11:06:00 PM »
It's already quite useful.  I don't see the problem.  For melees it's amazing.

JaronK

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #298 on: October 06, 2008, 11:11:46 PM »
The reason Str is useless in the current incarnation is that damage and other melee offensive options are relatively useless.  If we reduce the total amount of rocket tag and reduce the total viability of the Big 5 then Str will become much more potent as Str-based special attacks (Grapple, Bull Rush, etc.) are balanced up.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #299 on: October 06, 2008, 11:16:26 PM »
The idea that strength is useless is bizarre.  It controls to hit, damage, trip mods, saves vs shield slam, etc.  Sure, melees as a whole are weaker, but strength is nothing like useless.

JaronK