Author Topic: D&D Combat & Rules [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 56374 times)

Psychic Robot

• Bi-Curious George
Re: D&D Combat & Rules [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #140 on: September 23, 2008, 08:17:18 PM »
Random thought in a similar vein to poison: Is there a better way to handle poison/disease than stat damage?

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #141 on: September 23, 2008, 08:42:42 PM »
Well yes, that's why I posted in the spells thread that FoM needed to be nerfed so that Grappling was possible at all.  That said, the other issue right now is that if you can grapple it, you can charge it, and charging is always better.  Something ought to be done about that.

JaronK

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #142 on: September 23, 2008, 10:57:02 PM »
Random thought in a similar vein to poison: Is there a better way to handle poison/disease than stat damage?
Well, some poisons do different things like paralysis and unconsiousness.  Are you thinking of poisons that inflict various statuses?  Perhaps poisons that blind, confuse, nauseate, sicken, fatigue, or exhaust?

Otherwise, were you simply thinking HP damage?  I remember poison just doing HP damage in 2E, and I really liked the change in 3E.  I think simple HP damage is uniteresting.

Well yes, that's why I posted in the spells thread that FoM needed to be nerfed so that Grappling was possible at all.  That said, the other issue right now is that if you can grapple it, you can charge it, and charging is always better.  Something ought to be done about that.

JaronK
Well, I guess this involves weakening chargers and/or strengthening grapplers.

The problem is, if a charger can one-shot someone, then it's going to be hard to bring a grappler up to that level.  What would a grappler do to make up for ass loads of damage?  Be able to totally shut someone down within one round?  Maybe be able to use the person as a shield while grappling them?

I'm just throwing out ideas, but it might require some seriously fundamental change, as opposed to a slight tweak.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
« Reply #143 on: September 23, 2008, 10:59:16 PM »
Well, charging can be toned down, and grappling made more effective.

Suggestion on Freedom of movement: Freedom of movement means you can move freely even in -conditions- that would impair that (say, slick floors or high heels). If you're pinned by a grappler, you have to get unpinned.

So no bonus here.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Schala_Zeal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #144 on: September 23, 2008, 11:24:09 PM »
Suggestion on Freedom of movement: Freedom of movement means you can move freely even in -conditions- that would impair that (say, slick floors or high heels). If you're pinned by a grappler, you have to get unpinned.

Or you could have it give a bonus to oppose/escape grapples, instead of immunity to grapples.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #145 on: September 23, 2008, 11:43:10 PM »
I've suggested a boost to Escape Artist.  It works on about half the situatiosn that Freedom of Movement helps.  It works so much as it pertains to this thread.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #146 on: September 24, 2008, 12:44:41 AM »
I've suggested a boost to Escape Artist.  It works on about half the situatiosn that Freedom of Movement helps.  It works so much as it pertains to this thread.
Please remeber the long standing rubric I propose "Do not weaken charging, its the fix every fetishist wants; because charging works and has worked, remeber the sheer number of people who played D&D and yelled "Omg, the spike chain is SOOO broken" when really tripping and reach was just one of the effective models for fighters"
It really shouldn't be doing ass loads of damage but removing people from combat.
The correct answer is to make grappling a more attractive option. The whole if you can grapple it you can charge it... don't really go together, they should be doing different things and/ should be used in differnt situations.
Oddly I challenge that rubric. I don't charge people when I'm getting beat down inside of charge range. Or if there's difficult terrain.
 Or if the monster has reach and you charge but it grapples you when you provoke an attack.

I will be the lone defender of the charger, if I have too.
 Grappling, just needs some rules clarification: and maybe the Reaping mauler class abilities should be made into a feat chain.
Yeah that'd be important, cause that prc is broke (in the bad way) accroding the grappling guide cause of the bad bab.
The thing is yeah most of the time people look at a fighting style they go "Charging is just so much better" but then I look at like the ToB optimization and how good it made two weapon fighting, and single strike action, I think thats just bad game design.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #147 on: September 24, 2008, 12:50:06 AM »
The problem is that while there is nothing wrong with charging as "viable", it should not be "best source of damage ever". It should be a useful technique, not a style (any more than "disarming" should be a style or "tripping".

Style in this sense being one's approach to combat...say a slow-and-steady-great-defense style with S&B, or an overwhelming attack with lightning percision and finessable weapons to name two possibilities.

The goal, as I understand it, of rebalancing everything to tier 3 is to bring down the overpowered as much as to bring up the underpowered.

Zeal: My suggestion is based on the idea that I don't see why "Freedom of movement" helps versus a grapple. You can't move when grappled because you're having to move someone else determiend to pin you in place (not necessarily in the wrestling sense of the word "pin"), not because your movement is restricted by your environment.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

ZeroSpace

• Email
« Reply #148 on: September 24, 2008, 03:07:48 AM »
I did a quick look over the topic to see if my idea has already been posted yet, and it hasn't, so I'll throw out my idea.

Pushing On

Concept: In a fight, though you may not pull your punches, you won't go all out either. You will instead pace yourself, holding back some strength to keep from tiring yourself out. However, if you want, you can Push On, to hit harder and more solidly. However, this tires you much faster, and if you push yourself too much, you can knock yourself out!

Mechanics: As a free action, you can Push On. This lets you add your character level to attack and damage rolls for a number of rounds equal to your CON modifier (min 1 round). At the end of this duration, you are fatigued. If you push on while fatigued, you receive half your level as a bonus (min 1), and are exhausted when the effect ends. If you are exhausted when you push on, your bonus is equal to one-quarter your level (min 1), and fall unconcious for 10 minutes when the effect ends.

Submitting the content for criticism and editing. You may use this in your 3.5 'patch', RobbyPants.
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #149 on: September 24, 2008, 09:30:01 AM »
Please remeber the long standing rubric I propose "Do not weaken charging, its the fix every fetishist wants; because charging works and has worked, remeber the sheer number of people who played D&D and yelled "Omg, the spike chain is SOOO broken" when really tripping and reach was just one of the effective models for fighters"
It really shouldn't be doing ass loads of damage but removing people from combat.
The correct answer is to make grappling a more attractive option. The whole if you can grapple it you can charge it... don't really go together, they should be doing different things and/ should be used in differnt situations.
Oddly I challenge that rubric. I don't charge people when I'm getting beat down inside of charge range. Or if there's difficult terrain.
 Or if the monster has reach and you charge but it grapples you when you provoke an attack.

I will be the lone defender of the charger, if I have too.
 Grappling, just needs some rules clarification: and maybe the Reaping mauler class abilities should be made into a feat chain.
Yeah that'd be important, cause that prc is broke (in the bad way) accroding the grappling guide cause of the bad bab.
The thing is yeah most of the time people look at a fighting style they go "Charging is just so much better" but then I look at like the ToB optimization and how good it made two weapon fighting, and single strike action, I think thats just bad game design.
Perhaps I should have been more specific earlier.  When I said "Well, I guess this involves weakening chargers and/or strengthening grapplers", I wasn't acutally suggesting that we weaken chargers.  It was more of a rhetorical set of options, where I really only wanted to strengthen grapplers.

Making a feat chain out of Reaping Mauler could be a good idea.  The PrC has some odd prereqs, and it could use some reworking.

Zeal: My suggestion is based on the idea that I don't see why "Freedom of movement" helps versus a grapple. You can't move when grappled because you're having to move someone else determiend to pin you in place (not necessarily in the wrestling sense of the word "pin"), not because your movement is restricted by your environment.
Well, FoM as written pertains to most forms of movement, not just walking and running.  It allows you to escape bonds and pins too.  I don't have a problem with that idea of it.  My problem with FoM is it's a guaranteed success.  You simply cast and win.  That single spell completely shuts down grappling. 

I did a quick look over the topic to see if my idea has already been posted yet, and it hasn't, so I'll throw out my idea.

Pushing On

Concept: In a fight, though you may not pull your punches, you won't go all out either. You will instead pace yourself, holding back some strength to keep from tiring yourself out. However, if you want, you can Push On, to hit harder and more solidly. However, this tires you much faster, and if you push yourself too much, you can knock yourself out!

Mechanics: As a free action, you can Push On. This lets you add your character level to attack and damage rolls for a number of rounds equal to your CON modifier (min 1 round). At the end of this duration, you are fatigued. If you push on while fatigued, you receive half your level as a bonus (min 1), and are exhausted when the effect ends. If you are exhausted when you push on, your bonus is equal to one-quarter your level (min 1), and fall unconcious for 10 minutes when the effect ends.

Submitting the content for criticism and editing. You may use this in your 3.5 'patch', RobbyPants.
The concept is interesting, but this seems a lot like giving Rage to everyone.  To me, it feels like it's stepping on the barbarian's toes.  Once you hit 3rd level, Push On becomes better than Rage in terms of your attack bonus, and by 4th level it's better than Rage in terms of damage.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ZeroSpace

• Email
« Reply #150 on: September 24, 2008, 10:46:24 PM »
Well, I figured it would be worth pitching out there. It was just what came to mind on the drive home from class last night. If it were to be used, much tweaking would be needed.

Regardless, if you feel like tinkering with Push On, go for it Robby. Just be sure to share what you're doing.  ;)
YAY! I get to go to the SPECIAL hell!

"The picks aren't breaking through, sir!"
"Alright men, time to break out the greatswords!"

"You may not make money being a bad-ass!"
-My DM

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #151 on: September 24, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »
Regardless, if you feel like tinkering with Push On, go for it Robby. Just be sure to share what you're doing.  ;)
I'll have to see if or how I'd do it.

I wanted to try and get some more stuff done this Sunday.  I have to go out of town to a wedding this weekend, so I probably won't get much done before then.  Maybe I can kick it into overdrive on Sunday.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #152 on: September 27, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »
Back to the mechanical side of things, I think Eldariel really is onto something.  I like the idea of poisons persisting until you make two consecutive saves.  This allows for them to ravage someone with a weaker Fort save.

I know Eldariel mentioned having a different number of saves per poison, which I think is fine, but for now, I'd default all the existing poisons to two consecutive saves.  Really, I think three is quite potent, and obviously, you can't go lower than one.

As I posted earlier, simply making poisons require two consecutive saves makes a tiny viper much more deadly to a commoner.

As for the time between poisons, I guess that's a matter for debate.  Currently it's one minute.  Eldariel suggested 30 seconds (five rounds).  I could go either way.

How about having variable save intervals(on top of the number of saves needed) for poisons, it'd give some nice variety to the stuff. Defaulting existing poisons to 2 saves and a minute seems alright, though I'd have made more poisons deal less damage over a greater number of saves.

For Freedom of Movement, would a +10(or some other number) bonus to escape artist checks instead of immunity to grapples(and also bonds) deal with it? Break the whole thing about flat out immune and give bonuses to get free, leaving the immune stuff to environment effects.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #153 on: September 30, 2008, 10:18:50 AM »
So, is everyone okay with the rules on the first page (included in the spoiler below)?  I haven't heard much in a while, and this is sort of the basis on which other things are built.

[spoiler]General Combat

Power Attack and Combat Reflexes are now standard combat actions available to all PCs, without spending feats.  Power attack works as stated in the feat (+1 damage for every -1 penalty for a one-handed weapon, and +2 damage per -1 penalty for a two-handed weapon).

A feat Improved Power Attack will increase the bonus damage granted per -1 penalty to the attack roll by one point (+2 for a one-handed weapon and +3 for a two-handed weapon). This has the same prerequisite as Power Attack, and counts as Power Attack for purposes of any prerequisites printed elsewhere.

Note, all other feats, class features, and spells that improve Power Attack simply add another +1 point of damage per -1 attack roll penalty.  So someone with Improved Power Attack and Leap Attack would add an additional +2 damage (for a total of +4) per -1 penalty to attack when doing a leap charge.

Attackers have the option to use either their Str or Dex mod to melee attack rolls.  You may only use your Dex mod to hit with a finessable weapon.  You cannot use your Dex mod on your attack roll and Power Attack.  You may only do one or the other.

The Weapon Finesse feat now grants your Dex mod to melee damage rolls instead of adding your Str mod.  This is considered precision damage and does not apply to creatures immune to critical hits.  You can only add your Dex mod to damage when using your Dex mod on melee attacks (so only on finessable weapons and not while Power Attacking).  This does not stack with any other source that lets you add your Dex mod to the damage roll.

A new feat called Accurate Shot grants you the ability to add your Dex mod to damage on ranged attacks.  This is precision damage and does not affect creatures immune to critical hits.  It only applies within the first range increment of the weapon or thirty feet, whichever is greater.  You cannot use this ability if you are not using your Dex mod for the attack roll (such as with the Brutal Throw feat).[/spoiler]
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #154 on: September 30, 2008, 05:38:25 PM »
I'd like to make it possible to use Dex to hit whether or not you have a finessable weapon. It -is- what is used IRL, so if you want to do it, go for it...MAD is your (the chooser's) problem, obviously.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #155 on: September 30, 2008, 09:37:13 PM »
I suppose it could be any weapon.  It's not like it's that unbalanced to use Dex to attack with a greatsword.  The bulk of your damage comes from a good Str score and Power Attack anyway.  If you're using Dex to attack, it's assumed your Str isn't that good (or at least not as good), and you can't Power Attack if you use Dex to attack.

Sure.  Why not.  You can choose for any weapon.  I still think the new version of Weapon Finesse (Dex to damage, not attack) should still be for finessable only weapons.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #156 on: October 01, 2008, 12:14:51 AM »
Of course. No matter how hard you try or how mighty you are, a greatsword is simply not wielded like that!

So good by me. I just felt that -must- be used -only- with "finessable weapons" grated. Only a few nuts won't use Strength-and-Power-Attack with greatswords, but we nuts deserve the option.

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #157 on: October 01, 2008, 05:13:29 AM »
It all looks good Robby except for Accurate Shot. I don't like that.

You should type the damage bonus on Imp. Power Attack too, and make half of the damage from Leap the same type so it doesn't stack...
Leap Attack should be a movement option for anyone, not just by feat. That other half of the damage should be circumstance or situation-based, or perhaps "speed" or velocity related in some way. I don't know which type.

Finesse DEX damage as precision was a nice touch. I thought up the same thing too!

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #158 on: October 01, 2008, 10:05:22 AM »
It all looks good Robby except for Accurate Shot. I don't like that.
Could you be more specific?

You should type the damage bonus on Imp. Power Attack too, and make half of the damage from Leap the same type so it doesn't stack...
Leap Attack should be a movement option for anyone, not just by feat. That other half of the damage should be circumstance or situation-based, or perhaps "speed" or velocity related in some way. I don't know which type.
Type it?  You mean so it doesn't stack?  The way I wanted to set up Power Attack and things that enchance it was to spell out exactly what bonuses are granted.  This way, you start with a base damage per attack penalty (1 for one-handed weapons and 2 for two-handed weapons).  Each source that increases your Power Attack damage simply adds one to the damage.  So if you have two sources improving a two-handed weapon, then you Power Attack for 4:1.  To me, this keeps it simple, and stops arguments for how Leap Attack really works.

Finesse DEX damage as precision was a nice touch. I thought up the same thing too!
Thanks.  I figured if I'm giving out the ability to attack with Dex for free, the old Weapon Finesse feat should do something.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #159 on: October 01, 2008, 02:02:16 PM »
Okay wait, will Shock Trooper still exist?  Because it looks like chargers are basically the same now or stronger (mounted chargers couldn't use leap attack, so they just get a 50% boost to damage).  Do we really want that?  I mean, chargers are probably overpowered at this point anyhow (or at least, that one trick is overpowered... it needs to be lowered while other melee options are brought up to compensate, because it's a pure rocket tag ability).  Let's face it, even with a bit of nerfing Barbarians will still be killing on the charge, so the only question is whether all melees can kill on the charge easily.

JaronK