Author Topic: D&D Spells [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 67718 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: D&D Spells [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #220 on: January 29, 2009, 10:31:05 AM »
Guess it doesn't. Still leaves having to look through monster manuals to see what the spell actually does instead of having it all consolidated, but I can live with that, and it's a convenience issue, not a balance one now.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #221 on: January 29, 2009, 10:39:54 AM »
True.  I guess it could simply grant bonuses like the Polymorph spell, but to a more limited degree.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #222 on: January 29, 2009, 07:54:38 PM »
That's what I was gunning for with the spell I posted. Lesser polymorph.
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

bihlbo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #223 on: February 02, 2009, 03:32:26 PM »
In the polymorph description given on the first page, it says this:

You gain a special enchancement bonus equal to your caster level, to a maximum of 15 at 15th level.  You can distribute this bonus however you want as an enhanement bonus to Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, and natural armor.  You may only add even numbers to your ability scores and you cannot add an enhancement bonus to an ability score greater than six.  You cannot add an enhancement bonus to your natural armor greater than five.

You may also spend some of these points to gain special attacks or modes of movement:

With the structure you have established here, presenting point-spending options as a list, there's no reason for there to be exceptions written as part of the descriptive text. I would change it to this:

You gain a special enchancement bonus equal to your caster level, to a maximum of 15 at 15th level. You may spend these points to gain special qualities from the following list:

Add:
-Ability Boost (2 points): Choose one physical ability score (Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution) and gain a +2 enhancement bonus to this ability. This may be selected multiple times and the effects stack, up to a limit of a +6 bonus to any one ability score.
-Natural Armor (1 point): You gain a +1 enhancement bonus to your natural armor. This may be selected multiple times, up to a maximum of a +5 natural armor bonus.
Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori

bihlbo

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #224 on: February 02, 2009, 03:47:36 PM »
Spells with a Casting Time of an Entire Round

Once the caster decides to cast a spell with a casting time of one full round, he cannot change the spell, although, he can opt to stop casting before the spell goes off and save the spell slot.  The target/AoE does not need to be picked until the spell goes off, so the caster can dynamically target as needed.  If no valid target is available (or desirable), then the caster can dismiss the spell at the last minute.

How does this effect counterspells? If I declare, "I ready to counterspell the sorcerer as soon as she starts casting a spell," I do so without knowing how long the spell's duration might be. If she can simply opt to stop casting, then as soon as I take my action to counterspell her long-casting spell she can say, "I stop casting" and doesn't have to risk potentially losing her spell if my counterspell works. Some clarification is needed, I think.

Also I would change the last word from "minute" to "moment" since a minute is quite a bit longer than a full round.

I think it would be worth noting something about targeting spells in general. You don't make a full-round attack as if you were declaring a pool shot - all attacks can be made at a target decided when the attack roll is made. Spells should be the same way - targeted only when the roll is made (attack roll, or saving throw). This distinction allows casters who have been unsuccessfully interrupted (such as by an archer readying to shoot when the spell is started) to change their target to their harrasser if they choose. The way spells gain targets should simply be handled in a universal fashion, not based on circumstances like how long the spell takes to cast.
Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2009, 03:49:47 PM »
Hmm... interesting. Good question. Coutnerspells.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2009, 03:54:47 PM »
Yeah, that "special enchancement bonus" text is really a hold-over from when I first created that version of the spell.  I hadn't yet created the other abilities that you could purchase.  Nice idea.

I agree, we need to look further into counterspelling.  Should the caster be allowed to drop the spell before it is countered?  If so, then the second caster should also get to save their spell slot.

Alternately, countering might be the exception to getting to drop your spell as situations change.  The only problem with this is any caster with Dispel Magic can simply counter you on their turn.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2009, 04:05:36 PM »
Yeah, that "special enchancement bonus" text is really a hold-over from when I first created that version of the spell.  I hadn't yet created the other abilities that you could purchase.  Nice idea.

I agree, we need to look further into counterspelling.  Should the caster be allowed to drop the spell before it is countered?  If so, then the second caster should also get to save their spell slot.

Alternately, countering might be the exception to getting to drop your spell as situations change.  The only problem with this is any caster with Dispel Magic can simply counter you on their turn.

It's an ability I was planning on wiring into the  perfected hexblade so its kinda relavant to me. Counterspelling that is.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2009, 04:12:19 PM »
Oh certainly.  I'm glad Bihlbo brought it up.  Which do you think is a better route to go?

Should the caster be able to drop the spell before it's countered (the counterer should also be albe to drop)?

Or should the caster lose the spell as normal (which leaves him horribly vulnerable to Dispel Magic)?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #229 on: February 02, 2009, 04:23:12 PM »
Can't say.
I've yet to accept full round casting as a solution, honestly.

... but honestly ... there's no need to speculate.
It works as it works now (however that is)
If I cast summon monster, and someone goes to counter spell it with dispel or whatever on thier action... what happens? Whatever the answer to that "is" is what should determine how we it's determined now. I suppose counterspelling becomes more valid a game now.
That being said. . . I still think its a poor solution, 1 full round. I guess. *sigh*
Can't think of anything else though, so meh. How does counterspelling work currently, is the question.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #230 on: February 02, 2009, 05:04:08 PM »
The idea was first suggested to me by OW4.  We were chatting one night and this project came up (this was after he left BG).  The entire round casting was the solution he advocated for SoDs.  When he explained it to me, it made a lot of sense, although counterspelling hadn't come up until today.

Extending this to a lot of the save-or-suck spells was my idea.  I was trying to figure out a way to nerf them too, otherwise, SoDs would become weaker, leaving SoSs as the undisputed king of spells.  I'm not saying we have to go this route, but we need to keep different types of spells in perspective.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #231 on: February 02, 2009, 05:07:22 PM »
Oh certainly.  I'm glad Bihlbo brought it up.  Which do you think is a better route to go?

Should the caster be able to drop the spell before it's countered (the counterer should also be albe to drop)?

Or should the caster lose the spell as normal (which leaves him horribly vulnerable to Dispel Magic)?

Vulnerbility is my preference, with a counterspell. Doesn't Dispel Magic need a roll to be used for a counterspell? Unless the opponent is geared towards counterspells, it wouldn't come up that much, and if the opponent is built for counterspelling, it'd take more than that to get back to par.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #232 on: February 02, 2009, 05:09:43 PM »
All in all, I think I agree.

Plus, like you said, you need to roll an opposed CL check to counter with Dispel Magic.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #233 on: February 06, 2009, 09:52:52 AM »
So, it looks like we're leaning on the side of counterspelling here.  Just for clarification:

If the opponent counters with Dispel Magic, opposed CL checks are rolled as normal, and since Dispel Magic is a standard action to cast, it counters the spell immediately (if the opponent wins the check).

When does the counter happen if the opponent counters with the same spell?  If the spell takes an entire round to cast, does it take the same time with the counterspell?  Personally, I'd be fine with it just taking a standard or full round action to counter with such a spell.  What are your thoughts?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #234 on: February 06, 2009, 11:45:32 AM »
Standard, when used as a counter, they may win a little on action economy that way, but having spent their useful(ignoring swifts for the moment) action and resource negating an effect instead of making an effect happen, I figure they'd about break even.

They'd need to have the right spell in stock in the first place as well, thats not something that can be made certain.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #235 on: February 06, 2009, 11:47:23 AM »
I think I agree with you.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #236 on: February 06, 2009, 03:22:35 PM »
How does this look?

Spells with a Casting Time of an Entire Round

Once the caster decides to cast a spell with a casting time of one full round, he cannot change the spell, although, he can opt to stop casting before the spell goes off and save the spell slot.  The target/AoE does not need to be picked until the spell goes off, so the caster can dynamically target as needed.  If no valid target is available (or desirable), then the caster can dismiss the spell at the last minute.  The caster cannot dismiss the spell at the last miniute if it is countered.

A spell with a casting time of an entire round can still be used to counter the same spell as normal.  In this case, the caster countering the spell does so as a standard action, not an entire round.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #237 on: February 06, 2009, 03:38:01 PM »
Strictly IMO here, and I suspect I'm in the minority, but I dislike this bit from a rebalancing perspective:
If no valid target is available (or desirable), then the caster can dismiss the spell at the last minute.
To me, the possibility that the spell may prove superfluous by the time its casting is complete is a balancing factor for Entire Round Casting spells.  Most require minimal-to-no input from the caster once completed and significantly alter the layout of the battle, or turn very difficult tasks into nearly trivial ones.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #238 on: February 06, 2009, 03:47:58 PM »
Well, even if you do dismiss it at the last minute, you still spend your whole last round doing nothing.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #239 on: February 07, 2009, 03:27:25 AM »
Right, you wasted a full round already, no sense kicking them in the nuts with the spell slot loss while they're at it.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]