Author Topic: D&D Spells [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 67781 times)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
Re: D&D Spells [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #120 on: October 26, 2008, 03:57:27 AM »
So, with that, the typical character gets faster as he levels? Particularly martial ones, casters fly/teleport well before that. Could be interesting, but you'd have to rebuild a hell lotta monsters.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
  • Magmar, the ultimate butthead
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #121 on: October 26, 2008, 04:33:56 AM »
Sorta. They get faster thanks to better STR and DEX, which can be a product of levels.
More from items, buffs, and race, though.

It would mean some work, but it's a houserule anyway. I just figured Medium races should have different speeds other than "everyone moves 6 squares", and reward warriors with high offensive stats.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #122 on: October 26, 2008, 04:45:43 AM »
Oh, I certainly approve of the mechanic(in particular, making martial characters inherently more mobile), only the trouble it will take to add to the system detracts from it.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #124 on: October 27, 2008, 12:01:31 AM »
The system reminds me a lot of the speed changes in 2E Combat & Tactics.  In that system, a high Str and Dex could boost your movement.  I think you could get up to a 50% increase in speed with an 18 in both.  It's not too far off from what you're suggsting.

I certainly don't think it'd break the game, and I think it might make certain aspects more fun.  My only hesitatin is what Veekie mentioned: all of the monsters would change.  This isn't a game breaking issue, but rather an annoying convert-on-the-fly issue.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #125 on: October 27, 2008, 01:41:38 AM »
The system reminds me a lot of the speed changes in 2E Combat & Tactics.  In that system, a high Str and Dex could boost your movement.  I think you could get up to a 50% increase in speed with an 18 in both.  It's not too far off from what you're suggsting.

I certainly don't think it'd break the game, and I think it might make certain aspects more fun.  My only hesitatin is what Veekie mentioned: all of the monsters would change.  This isn't a game breaking issue, but rather an annoying convert-on-the-fly issue.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK :wall
heh
Perhaps if I could find a way that requires less revision. A DM would look at a monster entry and say "Oh, the speed bonus from STR and DEX is X feet." That's what I'm going for.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #126 on: October 27, 2008, 02:24:45 AM »
You could, I suppose, just call monsters as having an arbritrary base speed such that the final speed is the same after the str/dex application.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #127 on: October 27, 2008, 07:04:02 AM »
You could, I suppose, just call monsters as having an arbritrary base speed such that the final speed is the same after the str/dex application.

Base speed, yes. Arbitrary, no.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #128 on: October 28, 2008, 11:26:26 AM »
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK :wall
heh
Aww, you don't like 2E Combat & Tactics?  :P  I'm not commenting on the merit of the system, but rather that it's close to something I've already seen.

Perhaps if I could find a way that requires less revision. A DM would look at a monster entry and say "Oh, the speed bonus from STR and DEX is X feet." That's what I'm going for.
Well, the DM has all the info he needs in the monster entry.  It just takes a bit of work to do it is all.  Just look at the ability scores to get the modifiers, add them up, and divide by two to get the number of squares (multiply by 5 for feet).

It looks like a lot when written out, but it's not hard to do.  Of course, what it could be to some people is annoying.  You have to remember to do it, and it's an extra step.

This is certainly a fix, although it seems like a very lazy fix.  Still, it might be "good enough" for the DM who loathes extra work during combats.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #129 on: October 28, 2008, 02:21:21 PM »
To be precise, it's a 'field patch' so you can use that mechanic without rewriting the monster manuals. The big difference is with melee players mobility, pretty sure they'd appreciate that.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #130 on: October 28, 2008, 03:02:30 PM »
Yeah.  I guess your typical MM orc would only gain 5 feet, which is no big deal.  What might concern players is dragons gaining 40' on all their modes of movement!
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #131 on: October 28, 2008, 04:25:52 PM »
Aww, you don't like 2E Combat & Tactics:P  I'm not commenting on the merit of the system, but rather that it's close to something I've already seen.
Don't like it???? What!

I played AD&D for years. If anything, I was the one shoving that set of rules options in the other players' faces, getting it mostly rejected except for a few concepts.
My fear is that I didn't actually think this up, but instead merely dredged a lost memory from over a decade ago.

There's nothing wrong with gigantic dragons moving faster than small planes...  :clap

IMO if it is a problem, it encourages gamers and the system as a whole to regulate stat boosts better.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #132 on: October 31, 2008, 04:00:47 PM »
We've discussed modifying various auto-success spells to give boosts to relavent skills when appropriate.  Things like Escape Artist checks for Freedom of Movement and Open Locks checks for Knock.

What about Zone of Truth?  Should this auto-succeed or should it be a solid boost to Sense Motive checks?

Are the similar auto-success spells you can think of that might be converted into skill boosts?
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

bkdubs123

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: October 31, 2008, 05:08:53 PM »
If you are changing some auto-succeeds you should change them all, shouldn't matter "how powerful" an auto-succeed is relative to another. Is seeing through Illusions wicked awesome compared to auto-detecting lies? Most of the time, but it depends on the campaign.

Now, I have this idea where evocation spells that deal energy damage can just deal whatever kind of energy damage the caster wants. Is this too powerful? Thoughts? I mean that a 1st level Wizard could cast Shocking Grasp but decide to deal cold damage with it today. Wizards would likely have to prepare it as a Icy Grasp, Sorcerers could maybe just on-the-fly, spur of the moment, Icy Grasp. The reasoning behind this is that NOBODY is going to waste spells known on all of the different energy types for all of the orbs, and balls, and grasps, and rays, and bla, bla. They're just going to pick the best one. So why not take it one step further and say that everyone always has the best one?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #134 on: October 31, 2008, 05:28:52 PM »
Well, it's really no different than how psionics does it.  You might want to reduce the amount of damage a spell would do if converted to sonic damage.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #135 on: October 31, 2008, 05:49:08 PM »
Zone of Truth works best as a penalty to Bluff checks within it's span I believe. As for illusions and True Seeing, the simplest one I could see is opposed CL check to see through illusions, or alternatively, rework the Epic Spot rules for defeating illusions(which is currently automatic at DC 80 spot) and make it a situational spot bonus.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #136 on: October 31, 2008, 10:47:57 PM »
I thought about a Bluff penalty, and I think you're right.  The spell isn't boosting someone's lie-detecting abilitiy, but rather hurting other's ability to lie.  Discern Lies might work better as a Sense Motive boost, as it just works for you.

Opposed caster levels might be the easiet way to work in True Seeing.  I can't think of a good way to oppose Spot and Caster Level.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

SiggyDevil

• Hong Kong
    • Feybook Project
« Reply #137 on: November 01, 2008, 07:35:28 AM »
We could probably achieve the simulation of many auto-win spells by a combination of penalties applied to enemies and bonuses applied to allies.
Between the 2 types, if used synergistically a character would have a tremendous advantage but requires much focus in one particular strategy.

For instance, Invisibility Purge (putting penalties on Hide) or Detect Magic + See Invisibility (altered to a sight-enhancing buff) would essentially equal an automatic invisibility detection, given the drastic distance between success of the hider and success of the seeker.

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #138 on: November 01, 2008, 10:52:08 AM »
I guess it depends on how many spells we want to change or create, but we could always make ones that counter.  So you could buff yourself with a bonus on a skill, and your opponent could try to nullify it with a penalty to the same skill or a bonus on their opposing skill.

That being said, as far as Invisibility goes, I have no problem with it simply making you invisible as opposed to giving you a Hide bonus, and I have no problem with Invisibilty Purge simply negating Invisibility.  These aren't so much "auto win" as one gives you a boost and the other counters it.  Really, Invisibility is only an "auto win" against deaf opponents.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #139 on: November 01, 2008, 12:05:06 PM »
Well, speaking of invisibility, what do you guys think of making the lack of  concealment, a penalty(say, -20?) on Hide instead of a flat 'can hide/cannot hide' thing? If it were that way, then you could conceivably make invisibility into a pure Hide bonus spell(which, it is anyway, given the DCs for seeing through invisibility).
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]