Author Topic: D&D Spells [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 67724 times)

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
D&D Spells [Rebalancing 3.5]
« on: September 10, 2008, 01:26:35 PM »
A month or so back I started a thread on Rebalancing 3.5.  It's gotten huge to the point that I was asked to split it into several sub-threads in the house-rules page.

Just so we're on the same page, what I'm looking to do is help close the gap between the drastically overpowered and the underpowered.  I'm trying to remove some of the worst abuses.  If you're familiar with JaronK's Tier system, I'm aiming for roughly a tier 3 game.

I will try to update these first posts with the current versions of what we've "agreed on."  Any recent additions will be in red so they're easier to find.

That being said, we can begin the work below.

(Cross-post links:)

Rebalancing Compendium

Races 
Core Classes 
Other Classes 
Skills & Feats 
Spells 
Combat & Rules 
Equipment 
« Last Edit: February 11, 2009, 09:15:18 AM by RobbyPants »
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
Re: D&D Spells [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 01:26:46 PM »
Abusive Spells

This section is for specific spells with their own problems.  I'll try to prevent the worst abuses here!

The three Planar Binding spells
It seems the biggest abuse of these spells is to summon something, and make it cast spells or use SLAs of a higher level than you could normally cast.  The "easy fix" I'm thinking of would be that you can only force a bound creature to use a spell or spell-like ability of a lower level than the level of the Planar Binding spell cast.  So if you use Planar Binding (6th level) to bind an efreeti, you could not force it to cast anything above 5th level in exchange for it's freedom (thus, no Wishes).  The creature could decide to use these types of spells to fullfil its service, but at its descresion.

The only thing is you could use Heighten Spell to boost it higher, so I may want to put in an exception for that.

Gate
The only use of this spell is now for the transport feature.  Use Planar Binding and Summon Monster for other summons.  Also, specific creatures can be called with gate, but they do not have to travel through.

Summon Monster/Nature's Ally
What are some of the worst abuses here?  I've never seen it pushed too far from personal experiene, so I don't know what needs to be controlled.

Alter Self
Works as printed in the PHB with the following exceptions:
- The natural amror gained by the spell is capped at 1/3 caster level (max +5 at 15th level).
- Any racial skill bonuses gained by the spell is capped at 1/3 caster level (max +4 at 12th level).
- Any movement speeds gained by the spell is capped at 10 feet per 3 caster levels (max 50 feet at 15th level).  Use the caster's base land speed if it is higher.  Flight speeds are not granted until caster level 5, and the maneuverability is never greater than average.

Polymorph

You form changes into that of another creature.  You may increase or decrease your size by one size category.  Increasing your size gives you a +2 bonus to Strength and a -2 penalty to Dexterity, and decreasing your size gives you a +2 bonus on Dexterity and a -2 Penalty on Strength.  You have the reach of a long creature of your new size.  If using this spell to impersonate someone, you gain a +10 circumstance bonus on your Disguise check.

You gain a number of points equal to your caster level, to a maximum of 15 at 15th level.  You can use these points however you want to purchase special abilities and ability enhancments.

Abilities:
-Ability Score Increase (2 points): You gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Str, Dex, or Con.  You can use this ability multiple times, but you cannot gain an enhancement bonus to a single ability greater than +6.  If you gain a bonus to your Con score, you do not gain additional hit points.
-Natural Armor (1 point): You gain a +1 bonus to your natural armor, which stacks with existing natural armor.  You can take this ability multiple times, to a maximum bonus of +5.
-Flight (4 points): You gain the ability to fly at your base speed with average manueverability.
-Swimming (2 points): You gain a swim speed equal to your base land speed and a +8 bonus on Swim checks.  You may take 10 while swimming and may charge while swimming in a straight line.  You are able to breath underwater.
-Scent (2 points): You gain the scent ability
-Natural attack (2 points): You either gain bite, slam, or tentical attack that deals 1d8 damage (2d6 if large, 1d6 if small).  Alternately, you gain two claw attacks that deal 1d4 damage each (1d6 if large, 1d3 if small).  A single attack adds one-and-a-half times your Str modifier to damage.  Paired attacks simply add your Str modifier.  This can be taken more than once to gain both a single attack and a pair of attacks.  Choose which is your primary attack form and which is the secondary.  All secondary attacks take a -5 penalty on the attack role (-2 if you have the Multiattack feat).
-Reach (4 points): Your reach increases by five feet.
-Burrow (4 points): You gain a burrow speed equal to your base land speed.
-Low light vision (1 point): You gain low light vision.
-Darkvision (2 points): You gain dark vision 60 ft.
-Speed (1 point): Your base land speed increases by 5 ft.  This can be taken several times.
-Energy Resistance (1 point): You gain energy resistance of 5 for any one of the five energy types (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic).  You can take this ability several times, either increasing the reistance of one type by 5, and/or by gaining resistances to new energy types.
-Energy Immunity (6 points): You are immune to one of the ive energy types (acid, cold, electricity, fire, or sonic).  This ability can be taken multiple times, granting you immunity to a different energy type.

Shapechange
I'll make this similar to the latter of the two Polymorph spells, but with different caps.  The supernatural abilities granted come from an approved list in the spell description.

Wraithstrike
I love this spell, but there are way too many ways that it can be *too* good.  One nerf might be to limit it to the first attack you make that round.  That way, it's still a swift action to cast, you can still charge, or even full attack, but only the first attack benifits.  It also eliminates pouncing Wraithstrike charges.

Blasphemy
This spell (and it's other-aligned cousins) run into problems with very high caster levels.  The idea is to turn this difference into a penalty to saving throws.  Credit goes to Sunic for this idea.
[spoiler=Blasphemy]
[/spoiler]

Mordenkainen's Disjunction
Works as normal, except the item's magical properties are merely supressed for one hour.  After this period, they begin working as normal.  The items do not get a save.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:31:19 AM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 01:26:52 PM »
Spells in General

This is to help balance direct damage (DD), save or dies (SoD), and crowd control (CC).

General Direct Damage Change
Here's the basic idea:  A DD spell directly opposes a monster's HP.  Now, a monster primarily gets HP from two sources: their hit dice and their Con mod (* their HD).  Because their Con mod is multiplied by their HD, they get a very solid boost at higher levels.  I was thinking of a way to boost damage on a per-damage die basis for DD spells.

The idea is to add a bonus to the damage per damage die of the spell.  This bonus damage would be the spell's level plus one, divided by two (or spell's level, divided by two, round up).  So, 1st level spells would add 1 point per damage die, 1 point for 2nd level spells, 2 points for 3rd level spells, etc, but capped at the casting stat mod.  The bonus per spell level would be:
[spoiler=bonus spell damage]
Spell   Bonus damage
level   per die
3       +2
4       +2
5       +3
6       +3
7       +4
8       +4
9       +5
[/spoiler]

So a few examples:

A 12th level wizard casts Fireball for 10d6+20 (+2 per die for a 3rd level spell).  The same wizard casts Cone of Cold for 12d6+36 (+3 per die) and Magic Missle for 5d4+10 (an additional +5 on top of what Magic Missile normally does).

Add additional abilities based on the damage type of the spell.  This part is still just brainstorming, but hopefully it gives you an idea of what I'm thinking (some from Ubernoob):

[fire] On a failed save the target catches fire (taking spell level d6 fire damage each round) for a number of rounds equal to half the spell's level (minimum 1). It requires a full-round action (provoke AoO) to extinguish the flames.

[cold] On a failed save the target takes a penalty to your Strength score equal to the spell's level, but this cannot reduce your Strength score below 1.  This penalty overlaps with other Str penalties from other cold spells.  The penalty lasts for a number of rounds equal to the spell's level.

[acid] On a failed save, the target becomes sickened for a number of rounds equal to the spell's level.

[electric] On a failed save the target takes a penalty to your Dexterity score equal to the spell's level, but this cannot reduce your Dexterity score below 1.  This penalty overlaps with other Dex penalties from other electric spells.  The penalty lasts for a number of rounds equal to the spell's level.

[sonic] On a failed save the target is deafened for a number of rounds equal to half the spell's level (minimum 1).

[Force] On a failed save, small and smaller creatures are knocked prone.  Higher level spells are capable of knocking larger creatures prone, per the table below:
       spell    creature
       level    size
       5-6      huge and smaller
       7-8      gargantuan and smaller
       9        colossal and smaller

Save or Dies
All save or dies take a full round to cast (not to be confused with a full-round action), assuming the casting time isn't already longer.

The simple fix is to increase the setup time for the spell.  Give the opponents a chance to react, so it's not a simple "roll a d20 or die!".  Now tactics come into play.

Crowd Control
Crowd control is somewhat of a large category.  This can be broken down into other types, such as debuffs, terrain modification, and save-or-lose spells.  Now, it's the SoLs that are the most potent, generally speaking, as they can often have the same effect as an SoD.  Any spell that would impose a status on a target that limits the actions they can take is more potent than one that merely gives a penalty.  So, any spell that gives any of the following conditions to the target will have a casting time of one full round (assuming the casting time isn't already longer):[/color]
  • Blinded
  • Confused
  • Dazed
  • Disabled
  • Dying
  • Fascinated
  • Frightened
  • Helpless
  • Nauseated
  • Panicked
  • Paralyzed
  • Petrified
  • Staggered
  • Stunned
  • Unconscious

Spells with a Casting Time of an Entire Round

Once the caster decides to cast a spell with a casting time of one full round, he cannot change the spell, although, he can opt to stop casting before the spell goes off and save the spell slot.  The target/AoE does not need to be picked until the spell goes off, so the caster can dynamically target as needed.  If no valid target is available (or desirable), then the caster can dismiss the spell at the last minute.

Cantrips and Orisons

Casters gain unlimited daily use of their 0-level spells.  In addition, the direct damage cantrips gain a small, non-scaling boost to damage, to make them useful at low levels.  Being 0-level spells, they would not gain any bonus damage from the previous changes to direct damage spells.  Also, they will not gain any special secondary effects for their energy type.  Each of these spells has a range of close and requires a ranged touch attack to hit.

Acid Splash - 1d6 acid damage.
Electric Jolt - 1d6 electric damage.
Finger of Flame - 1d6 fire damage.
Force Ball - 1d3 force damage.
Ray of Frost - 1d6 cold damage.
Sonic Snap - 1d4 sonic damage.

(Some of these could be renamed)

Do note that this change would make unlimited healing available to several casters quite easily through Cure Minor Wounds.  This healing would be slow (one point per round), so it would only be useful out of combat, like most other existing, unlimited healing tricks.  For DMs who think this is a problem, or feel that it ruins the pace of the game, it can be house ruled easily enough.  Only allow CMW to work if the target is either at 0 HP or lower, or if the target is below half HP.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 03:14:28 PM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 01:27:00 PM »
Abusive Psionic Powers

New/Modified Invocations

Below are some new warlock invocations, as well as some modified ones.  Any inovocation flagged (modified) is a modified version of an already-printed invocation.

Blast Shape Invocations

Eldritch Retribution
Least
When someone attacks and successfully damages you with a physical weapon, you may react and attack them with an Eldritch Blast.  You apply this invocation to your Eldtritch Blast as an immediate action.  You can make an Eldritch Blast attack against the opponent who attacked you.  Your attack is resolved after the opponent's.  You cannot apply any Eldritch Essense invocations to this blast.  The target must be within 5 feet per warlock level, to a maximum of 60 feet. 

Eldritch Assault
Lesser
You may make a full attack with your Eldritch Blast this round.

Eldritch Beam, Lesser
Lesser
You turn your Eldritch Blast into a 60 ft. line.  Creatures within this area take normal damage from your Eldritch Blast. A successful reflex save halves this damage.

Eldritch Sphere, Lesser
Lesser
You turn your Eldritch Blast into a sphere. 
Your Eldritch blast becomes a 10ft radius spread with a range of 60ft. Creatures within this area take normal damage from your Eldritch Blast. A successful reflex save halves this damage.

Eldritch Sphere
Greater
You turn your Eldritch Blast into a sphere. 
Your Eldritch blast becomes a 20ft radius spread with a range long (400 feet + 40 feet per level). Creatures within this area take normal damage from your Eldritch Blast. A successful reflex save halves this damage.

Eldritch Beam
Lesser
You turn your Eldritch Blast into a 120 ft. line.  Creatures within this area take normal damage from your Eldritch Blast. A successful reflex save halves this damage.

Eldritch Cone (modified)
Greater
As the normal invocation, except the cone is increased from 30 feet to 60 feet.

Eldritch Essence Invocations

Shocking Blast
Least
Your Eldritch Blast deals electricity damage.  Any opponent damaged must make a Will save or be entangled for one round.  If attacking a target in metal armor, you gain a +3 bonus to the attack roll, and the target suffers a -3 penalty to any saving throw from this eldritch blast (such as the Will save to avoid being entangled, and any Reflex save from a blast shape invocation).

Hellrime Blast (modified)
Lesser
Instead of applying a -2 Dex penalty, Hellrime blast deals 1d3 points of Dex damage to the target.  The damage is healed one minute after.

Shards of Bone
(Lesser Eldritch Essence)
Instead of channeling raw eldritch energy, you shoot out sharp bones and shards of bone.  Your eldritch blast deals slashing and piercing damage and ignores Spell Resistance.  This damage is treated as a magical weapon for purposes of overcoming damage reduction.

Other Invocations

Inhuman Toughness
Least
Duration: 1 hour
You gain five temporary hit points, plus five more per three warlock levels (to a max of 35 at 18th level).  Note that these temporary hit points overlap with other temporary hit points and do not stack.  For example: a 3rd level warlock uses Inuman Toughness to gain 10 temporary hit points, and gets hit for 6 damage, leaving him with 4.  If he uses Inhuman Toughness a second time, the 10 temporary hitpoints overlap with his previous 4, giving him a total of 10 temporary hit points, and not 14.

Fiendish Form
Greater
Duration: 24 hours
Your form changes, and you take on fiendish traits. 

Your damage reduction warlock class feature becomes cold iron and good or lawful and cold iron.

You gain two claw attacks, which deal 1d6 damage (1d4 for small warlocks and 1d8 for large).  You may attack with each claw at your full bonus, but you do not gain iterative attacks with these claws from a high base attack bonus.  In addition, you can channel your eldritch blast through each claw attack.  While doing so, you cannot apply any Blast Shape invocations.

You gain wings, and can fly at your base speed with average manuverability.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 06:29:42 PM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 01:27:19 PM »
Cleric Domains

[spoiler=Cleric]
Level 0
Create Water
Cure Minor Wounds
Detect Magic
Detect Poison
Guidance
Inflict Minor Wounds
Light
Mending
Purify Food and Drink
Read Magic
Resistance
Virtue

Level 1
Bane
Bless
Bless Water
Cure Light Wounds
Curse Water
Detect Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
Detect Undead
Endure Elements
Inflict Light Wounds
Magic Weapon
Remove Fear
Shield of Faith

Level 2Level 3
Consecrate
Create Food and Water
Cure Serious Wounds
Desecrate
Hold Person
Inflict Serious Wounds
Prayer
Remove Blindness/Deafness
Remove Disease
Speak with Dead

Level 4
Bestow Curse
Cure Critical Wounds
Dismissal
Dispel Magic
Inflict Critical Wounds
Magic Weapon, Greater
Neutralize Poison
Planar Ally, Lesser
Remove Curse
Restoration
Tongues

Level 5
Atonement
Commune
Cure Light Wounds, Mass
Death Ward
Inflict Light Wounds, Mass
Raise Dead
Slay Living

Level 6Level 7
Cure Serious Wounds, Mass
Destruction
Dispel Magic, Greater
Inflict Serious Wounds, Mass
Regenerate
Restoration, Greater
Resurrection

Level 8
Cure Critical Wounds, Mass
Inflict Critical Wounds, Mass
Planar Ally, Greater

Level 9
Heal, Mass
Miracle
Soul Bind
True Resurrection[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Air]
Granted Power
  • You no longer need to breathe. 
  • You may cast Feather Fall (self only) at will as an immediate action.
  • At Level 10, you gain a fly speed equal to your base land speed (perfect maneuverability). 
  • At 20th level, your type changes to outsider (air).
Alternative Turn Undead Option
As normal except you turn earth creatures as undead and heal air creatures as living creatures.

Level 1
Jet of Steam CM
Obscuring Mist
Summon Monster I (Air subtype only)

Level 2
Fog Cloud
Summon Monster II (Air subtype only)
Wind Wall

Level 3
Call Lightning
Summon Monster III (Air subtype only)
Water Breathing

Level 4
Air Walk
Solid Fog
Summon Monster IV (Air subtype only)

Level 5
Call Lightning Storm
Control Winds
Summon Monster V (Air subtype only)

Level 6
Chain Lightning
Summon Monster VI (Air subtype only)
Wind Walk

Level 7
Acid Fog
Control Weather
Summon Monster VII (Air subtype only)

Level 8
Reverse Gravity
Summon Monster VIII (Air subtype only)
Whirlwind

Level 9
Elemental Swarm (Air subtype only)
Storm of Vengeance
Summon Monster IX (Air subtype only)[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Animal]
Granted Power
  • You gain an animal companion like a druid.
Heal 1d6 damage per cleric level to all animals within 30 feet.  Any hit points healed above the animal's maximum are added as temporary hit points.  The animal cannot gain more temporary hit points in this fashion than their maximum hit points.  These temporary hit points last for one hour.

Level 1
Charm Animal
Magic Fang
Summon Nature’s Ally I (Animals only)

Level 2
Animal Trance
Hold Animal
Summon Nature’s Ally II (Animals only)

Level 3
Dominate Animal
Poison
Summon Nature’s Ally III (Animals only)

Level 4
Giant Vermin
Repel Vermin
Summon Nature’s Ally IV (Animals only)

Level 5
Animal Growth
Awaken
Summon Nature’s Ally V (Animals only)

Level 6
Antilife Shell
Insect Plague
Summon Nature’s Ally VI (Animals only)

Level 7
Animal Shapes
Aura of Vitality SC
Summon Nature’s Ally VII (Animals only)

Level 8
Awaken, Mass SC
Phantom Wolf SC
Summon Nature’s Ally VIII (Animals only)

Level 9
Nature's Avatar SC
Phantom Bear SC
Shapechange (Animals only)[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Chaos]
Granted Power
  • You gain damage reduction overcome by lawful weapons equal to half your cleric level.
  • Your melee attacks are considered chaotic aligned for purposes of overcoming damage reduction.
  • At 20th level, your type changes to outsider (chaotic).
As normal except you turn lawful outsiders as undead and heal chaotic outsiders as living creatures.

Level 1
Cause Fear
Protection from Law
Summon Monster I (Chaotic subtype only)

Level 2
Align Weapon
Shatter
Summon Monster II (Chaotic subtype only)

Level 3
Displacement
Magic Circle Law
Summon Monster III (Chaotic subtype only)

Level 4
Chaos Hammer
Confusion
Summon Monster IV (Chaotic subtype only)

Level 5
Baleful Polymorph
Dispel Law
Summon Monster V (Chaotic subtype only)

Level 6
Animate Objects
Forbiddance
Summon Monster VI (Chaotic subtype only)

Level 7
Insanity
Summon Monster VII (Chaotic subtype only)
Word of Chaos

Level 8
Cloak of Chaos
Summon Monster VIII (Chaotic subtype only)
Symbol of Insanity

Level 9
Maze
Scintillating Pattern
Summon Monster IX (Chaotic subtype only)[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Death]
Granted Power
  • You gain resistance to negative energy damage (such as from an Inflict spell) equal to your cleric level.  Alternately, if you are healed by negative energy, you gain an equal amount of resistance to positive energy (such as from Cure spells).  It is possible for this resistance to change, such as if you become undead or take the Tomb-Tainted Soul feat.
  • At 10th level, once per day if you would otherwise be killed by a death effect or negative energy effect (such as negative levels), you can ignore the effect entirely.
You may spend an additional bolster undead use to increase the damage you roll for that turn attempt.  Each target that fails their Will save takes one-and-a-half times the damage you roll.  Targets still only take half damage on a successful Will save.  This extra damage only applies when damaging living creatures, and not to healing undead.

Level 1
Cause Fear
Doom
Summon Undead I SC

Level 2
Command Undead
Ghoul Touch
Summon Undead II SC

Level 3
Animate Dead
Summon Undead III SC
Vampiric Touch

Level 4
Death Ward
Enervation
Summon Undead VI SC

Level 5
Fear
Summon Undead V SC
Symbol of Pain

Level 6
Circle of Death
Create Undead
Symbol of Fear

Level 7
Finger of Death
Plague PHB2
Waves of Exhaustion

Level 8
Create Greater Undead
Horrid Wilting
Symbol of Death

Level 9
Energy Drain
Soul Bind
Wail of the Banshee[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Destruction]
Granted Power
  • Your physical attacks ignore an amount of hardness and damage reduction equal to half your cleric level.
You deal 1d6 damage per cleric level to all non-magical objects and constructs within 30 feet.  Attended objects and constructs are allowed a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 cleric level + Cha mod) for half damage.

Level 1
Burning Rage PHB2
Enlarge Person
Orb of Acid, Lesser SC

Level 2
Battering Ram SC
Shatter
Warp Wood

Level 3
Acid Breath SC
Contagion
Explosive Runes

Level 4
Enlarge Person, Mass
Ice Storm
Orb of Acid SC

Level 5
Acid Sheath SC
Contagion, Mass SC
Insect Plague

Level 6
Acid Storm SC
Disintegrate
Lingering Flames CM

Level 7
Slime Wave SC
Storm of Elemental Fury SC
Wrack Earth PHB2

Level 8
Earthquake
Incendiary Cloud
Plague PHB2

Level 9
Implosion
Meteor Swarm
Storm of Vengeance[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Earth]
Granted Power
  • You gain the stability ability of a dwarf.  If you already have this ability, the bonus increases from +4 to +8.
  • Any spell you cast that heals hit point damage can be used to heal stone objects, stone-based creatures, and creatures with the Earth subtype.
  • At 10th level, you gain a burrow speed equal to your base land speed, and may burrow through solid stone.
  • At 20th level, your type changes to outsider (earth).
  • At 20th level, you gain the earth glide ability, with a speed equal to your base land speed.
As normal except you turn air creatures as undead and heal earth creatures as living creatures.

Level 1
Hail of Stone SC
Magic Stone
Summon Monster I (Earth subtype only)

Level 2
Shatter
Soften Earth and Stone
Summon Monster II (Earth subtype only)

Level 3
Meld into Stone
Stone Shape
Summon Monster III (Earth subtype only)

Level 4
Spike Stones
Stoneskin
Summon Monster IV (Earth subtype only)

Level 5
Summon Monster V (Earth subtype only)
Transmute Rock to Mud
Wall of Stone

Level 6
Flesh to Stone
Stone to Flesh
Summon Monster VI (Earth subtype only)

Level 7
Earthquake
Stone Tell
Summon Monster VII (Earth subtype only)

Level 8
Polymorph Any Object (into stone only)
Repel Metal or Stone
Summon Monster VIII (Earth subtype only)

Level 9
Elemental Swarm (Earth subtype only)
Meteor Swarm
Summon Monster IX (Earth subtype only)[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Evil]
Granted Power
  • You gain damage reduction overcome by good weapons equal to half your cleric level.
  • Your melee attacks are considered evil aligned for purposes of overcoming damage reduction.
  • At 20th level, your type changes to outsider (evil).
As normal except you turn good outsiders as undead and heal evil outsiders as living creatures.

Level 1
Doom
Protection from Good
Summon Monster I (Evil subtype only)

Level 2
Align Weapon
Desecrate
Summon Monster II (Evil subtype only)

Level 3
Bestow Curse
Magic Circle against Good
Summon Monster III (Evil subtype only)

Level 4
Fear
Summon Monster IV (Evil subtype only)
Unholy Blight

Level 5
Dispel Good
Summon Monster V (Evil subtype only)
Unhallow

Level 6
Create Undead
Forbiddance
Summon Monster VI (Evil subtype only)

Level 7
Blasphemy
Circle of Death
Summon Monster VII (Evil subtype only)

Level 8
Create Greater Undead
Summon Monster VIII (Evil subtype only)
Unholy Aura

Level 9
Energy Drain
Summon Monster IX (Evil subtype only)
Wail of the Banshee[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Fire]
Granted Power
  • You gain fire resistance equal to your cleric level. 
  • At 10th level, you may alter the damage of any spell you cast with the [fire] descriptor, so that half of the damage is fire, and the other half is divine energy not subject to fire resistance or immunity.
  • At 20th level, your type changes to outsider (fire).
  • At 20th level, you are immune to fire.
As normal except you turn water creatures as undead and heal fire creatures as living creatures.

Level 1
Burning Hands
Produce Flame
Summon Monster I (Fire subtype only)

Level 2
Flame Blade
Scorching Ray
Summon Monster II (Fire subtype only)

Level 3
Fireball
Resist Energy
Summon Monster III (Fire subtype only)

Level 4
Fire Shield
Summon Monster IV (Fire subtype only)
Wall of Fire

Level 5
Fire and Brimstone CM
Flame Strike
Summon Monster V (Fire subtype only)

Level 6
Fire Seeds
Fires of Purity SC
Summon Monster VI (Fire subtype only)

Level 7
Delayed Blast Fireball
Fire Storm
Summon Monster VII (Fire subtype only)

Level 8
Incendiary Cloud
Summon Monster VIII (Fire subtype only)
Emerald Flame Fist SC

Level 9
Elemental Swarm (Fire subtype only)
Meteor Swarm
Summon Monster IX (Fire subtype only)[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Good]
Granted Power
  • You gain damage reduction overcome by evil weapons equal to half your cleric level.
  • Your melee attacks are considered good aligned for purposes of overcoming damage reduction.
  • At 20th level, your type changes to outsider (good).
As normal except you turn evil outsiders as undead and heal good outsiders as living creatures.

Level 1
Protection from Evil
Remove Fear
Summon Monster I (Good subtype only)

Level 2
Align Weapon
Consecrate
Summon Monster II (Good subtype only)

Level 3
Cloak of Bravery SC
Magic Circle against Evil
Summon Monster III (Good subtype only)

Level 4
Death Ward
Summon Monster IV (Good subtype only)
Undead Bane Weapon SC

Level 5
Dispel Evil
Hallow
Summon Monster V (Good subtype only)

Level 6
Forbiddance
Summon Monster VI (Good subtype only)
Undeath to Death

Level 7
Holy Word
Holy Star SC
Summon Monster VII (Good subtype only)

Level 8
Crown of Glory SC
Holy Aura
Summon Monster VIII (Good subtype only)

Level 9
Heavenly Host SCSC[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Healing]
Granted Power
  • You may cast any Cure spell as a swift.  Some Cure spells you cast also have additional effects, both in the single and mass versions:

o   Cure Moderate Wounds - in addition to healing HP damage, 1d4 ability damage is healed.
o   Cure Serious Wounds - in addition to healing HP damage, 1d6 ability damage is healed.  Fatigue is removed and exhaustion is reduced to fatigue.
o   Cure Critical Wounds - in addition to healing HP damage, 1d8 ability damage or drain is healed.  Fatigue and exhaustion are removed.

Heal all living creatures within 30 feet 1d6 damage per cleric level.  Each creature heals up to one point of ability damage per cleric level, split among several abilities however they choose.  You do not heal yourself with this ability (although you could get healed if another cleric used this ability on you).[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Knowledge]
Granted Power
  • Add all Knowledge skills as class skills.
You grant a target a competence bonus to a single skill equal to two plus an additional point per three cleric levels, and the target can use the skill untrained.  The target must be within 30 feet of you.  This benefit lasts a number of minutes equal to your Charisma bonus (minimum of one).

Level 1
Comprehend Languages
Identify
True Strike

Level 2
Augury
Find Traps
Zone of Truth

Level 3
Clairaudience/Clairvoyance
Invisibility Purge
Speak with Dead

Level 4
Discern Lies
Divination
Locate Object

Level 5
Contact Other Plane
Scrying
True Seeing

Level 6
Analyze Dweomer
Find the Path
Prying Eyes

Level 7
Legend Lore
Probe Thoughts SC
Scrying, Greater

Level 8
Discern Location
Moment of Prescience
Vision

Level 9
Foresight
Hindsight SC
Prying Eyes, Greater[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Law]
Granted Power
  • You gain damage reduction overcome by chaotic weapons equal to half your cleric level. 
  • Your melee attacks are considered lawful aligned for purposes of overcoming damage reduction.
  • At 20th level, your type changes to outsider (lawful).
As normal except you turn chaotic outsiders as undead and heal lawful outsiders as living creatures.

Level 1
Command
Protection from Chaos
Summon Monster I (Lawful subtype only)

Level 2
Align Weapon
Hold Person
Summon Monster II (Lawful subtype only)

Level 3SC
Magic Circle against Chaos
Summon Monster III (Lawful subtype only)

Level 4Level 5
Dispel Chaos
Mark of Justice
Summon Monster V (Lawful subtype only)

Level 6
Forbiddance
Hold Monster
Summon Monster VI (Lawful subtype only)

Level 7
Call Kolyarut SC
Dictum
Summon Monster VII (Lawful subtype only)

Level 8
Shield of Law
Summon Monster VIII (Lawful subtype only)
Power Word Stun

Level 9
Call Marut SC
Imprisonment
Summon Monster IX (Lawful subtype only)[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Luck]
Granted Power
  • Once per encounter, as an immediate action, you can reroll any d20 roll or have anyone within 30 feet of you reroll any d20 roll.  You must make the decision before you know if the roll was successful or not, and you must accept the second result.
You grant a target a sacred or profane bonus to their saving throws equal to one plus an additional point per three cleric levels.  The target must be within 30 feet of you.  This benefit lasts a number of minutes equal to your Charisma bonus (minimum of one) for each creature, or until it rolls its first saving throw, whichever comes first.

Level 1
Entropic Shield
Sign SC
True Strike

Level 2
Aid
Curse of Ill Fortune SC
Resist Energy

Level 3
Aid, Mass SC
Alter Fortune PHB2
Protection from Energy

Level 4
Blindsight, Greater SC
Freedom of Movement
Resistance, Greater SC

Level 5
Bewildering Misfortune CC
Curse of Ill Fortune, Mass SC
Surge of Fortune CC

Level 6
Energy Immunity SC
Mislead
True Seeing

Level 7
Bestow Curse, Greater SC
Fortunate Fate SC
Spell Turning

Level 8
Death Pact SC
Mind Blank
Moment of Prescience

Level 9
Foresight
Freedom
Reaving Dispel SC[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Magic]
Granted Power
  • You gain a sacred or profane bonus to saving throws and your touch armor class against spells and spell-like abilities equal to one plus an additional point per three cleric levels.
  • You use scrolls, wands, and other devices with spell completion or spell trigger activation as a wizard of one-half your cleric level (at least 1st level). For the purpose of using a scroll or other magic device, if you are also a wizard, actual wizard levels and these effective wizard levels stack.
You can use a turn undead attempt to counter a spell.  You must make an opposed caster level check as if countering with Dispel Magic.

Level 1
Identify
Magic Aura
Magic Missile

Level 2
Detect Thoughts
Obscure Object
See Invisibility

Level 3
Arcane Sight
Dispel Magic
Magic Weapon, Greater

Level 4
Globe of Invulnerability, Lesser
Imbue with Spell Ability
Spell Immunity

Level 5
Break Enchantment
Scrying
Spell Resistance

Level 6
Antimagic Field
Dispel Magic, Greater
Globe of Invulnerability

Level 7
Arcane Sight, Greater
Scrying, Greater
Spell Turning

Level 8
Protection from Spells
Spell Immunity, Greater
Temporal Stasis

Level 9
Freedom
Imprisonment
Time Stop[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Plant]
Granted Power
  • You gain a 25% chance to ignore extra damage from critical hits, sneak attacks, and other precision damage and you gain a +2 resistance bonus on saving throws against poison. 
  • At 7th level, the percentage chance increases to 50% and the resistance bonus increases to +4. 
  • At 14th level, the percentage chance increases to 75% and the resistance bonus increases to +6. 
  • At 20th level, your type changes to plant, and you gain the appropriate immunities.
Heal 1d6 damage per cleric level to all plants within 30 feet.  Any hit points healed above the plant's maximum are added as temporary hit points.  The plant cannot gain more temporary hit points in this fashion than their maximum hit points.  These temporary hit points last for one hour.

Level 1
Entangle
Pass without Trace
Summon Nature’s Ally I (Plants only)

Level 2
Barkskin
Summon Nature’s Ally II (Plants only)
Warp Wood

Level 3
Plant Growth
Spike Growth
Summon Nature’s Ally III (Plants only)

Level 4
Command Plants
Poison
Summon Nature’s Ally IV (Plants only)

Level 5
Awaken
Summon Nature’s Ally V (Plants only)
Wall of Thorns

Level 6
Liveoak
Repel Wood
Summon Nature’s Ally VI (Plants only)

Level 7
Animate Plants
Changestaff
Summon Nature’s Ally VII (Plants only)

Level 8
Control Plants
Summon Nature’s Ally VIII (Plants only)
Transport via Plants

Level 9
Deadfall SC
Shambler
Summon Monster IX (Plants only)[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Protection]
Granted Power
  • Once per encounter, as an immediate action, you can prevent up to 1d6 damage per cleric level to any ally within 30 feet of you for a single attack.  This is applied before any damage reduction or energy resistances.
You grant a target a special protective field that lasts up to one hour, or until dispelled.  Each target can only have one such field at any given time.  As an immediate action, the target can discharge their field to grant a +10 sacred or profane bonus to either their Armor Class (including touch AC) or to their saving throws.  This bonus lasts for one round.

Level 1
Entropic Shield
Protection from Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
Sanctuary

Level 2
Barkskin
Resist Energy
Shield Other

Level 3
Magic Circle against Chaos/Evil/Good/Law
Magic Vestment
Protection from Energy

Level 4
Death Ward
Spell Immunity
Stoneskin

Level 5
Break Enchantment
Spell Resistance
Wall of Force

Level 6
Antimagic Field
Glyph of Warding, Greater
Repulsion

Level 7
Fortunate Fate SC
Refuge
Spell Turning

Level 8
Dimensional Lock
Mind Blank
Spell Immunity, Greater

Level 9
Death Ward, Mass SC
Prismatic Sphere
Protection from Spells[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Strength]
Granted Power
  • At 2nd level, you gain a +2 enhancement bonus to Strength.  This bonus increases by an additional +2 every four levels thereafter, to a maximum of +10 at 18th level.
You grant a target an enhancement bonus to their Strength equal to your cleric level.  The target must be within 30 feet of you.  This benefit lasts a number of minutes equal to your Charisma bonus (minimum of one).

Level 1
Beastland Ferocity SC
Enlarge Person
Vigor, Lesser SC

Level 2
Bear’s Endurance
Bull’s Strength
Mountain Stance SC

Level 3
Giant’s Wrath SC
Lion’s Charge SC
Vigor SC

Level 4
Divine Power
Languor SC
Sheltered Vitality SC

Level 5
Righteous Might
Stoneskin
Vigor, Greater SC

Level 6
Bear’s Endurance, Mass
Bull’s Strength, Mass
Vigorous Circle SC

Level 7
Aura of Vitality SC
Bigby’s Grasping Hand
Tenser’s Transformation

Level 8
Bigby’s Clenched Fist
Lion’s Roar SC
Unyielding Form of Inevitable Death CM

Level 9
Bigby’s Crushing Hand
Dragonshape PHB2
Summon Golem PHB2[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Sun]
Granted Power
  • Any  undead creature you attempt to turn suffers a -2 penalty on their saving throws against the turn attempt.
  • At level 10, you can see normally in all forms of darkness, including magical darkness.
  • At 10th level, your turn undead attempts ignore any turn resistance the creature might have.
Your turn attempt deals normal damage to undead creatures but does not heal living creatures.  Also, all undead creatures in the area are treated as if they are in direct sunlight for one round.

Level 1
Color Spray
Faerie Fire
Produce Flame

Level 2
Continual Flame
Flaming Sphere
Heat Metal

Level 3
Blindness (not Deafness)
Daylight
Searing Light

Level 4
Fire Shield
Rainbow Pattern
Summon Monster IV (Lantern Archon only)

Level 5
Blistering Radiance SC
Flame Strike
Prismatic Ray SC

Level 6
Fire Seeds
True Seeing
Undeath to Death

Level 7
Power Word Blind
Prismatic Spray
Sunbeam

Level 8
Prismatic Wall
Scintillating Pattern
Sunburst

Level 9
Meteor Swarm
Prismatic Sphere
Storm of Vengeance[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Travel]
Granted Power
  • You may teleport a distance equal to your base movement as a swift action once per day, plus an additional time per three cleric levels.  You can only take yourself, and any objects carried up to your maximum load.
You grant a speed increase to a number of targets equal to your cleric level, all of whom must be within 30 feet of you.  All of the creature’s movement speeds increase by ten feet plus an additional five feet per three cleric levels.  This benefit lasts a number of minutes equal to your Charisma bonus (minimum of one).

Level 1
Expeditious Retreat
Jump
Longstrider

Level 2
Cat’s Grace
Levitate
Spider Climb

Level 3
Fly
Haste
Slow

Level 4
Dimensional Anchor
Dimension Door
Freedom of Movement

Level 5
Overland Flight
Plane Shift
Teleport

Level 6
Cat’s Grace, Mass
Find the Path
Word of Recall

Level 7
Ethereal Jaunt
Refuge
Teleport, Greater

Level 8
Dimensional Lock
Discern Location
Phase Door

Level 9
Astral Projection
Gate
Teleportation Circle[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Trickery]
Granted Power
  • Add Bluff, Disguise, Hide, and Move Silently as class skills.
Alternative Turn Undead OptionLevel 1
Color Spray
Disguise Self
Silent Image

Level 2Level 3
Blindness/Deafness
Deeper Darkness
Nondetection

Level 4
Confusion
Freedom of Movement
Illusory Wall

Level 5
False Vision
Persistent Image
True Seeing

Level 6
Animate Objects
Mislead
Word of Recall

Level 7
Ethereal Jaunt
Insanity
Project Image

Level 8
Polymorph Any Object
Scintillating Pattern
Screen

Level 9
Freedom
Imprisonment
Time Stop[/spoiler]
[spoiler=War]
Granted Power
  • At 5th level, and every five levels thereafter, you gain a fighter bonus feat.
As a standard action, you may channel divine energy through a melee attack.  You deal extra damage equal to your cleric level, and gain a sacred or profane bonus to your attack roll equal to your Charisma modifier (minimum of one).

Level 1SC

Level 2
Align Weapon
Body Blades SC
Spiritual Weapon

Level 3
Heroism
Magic Vestment
Magic Weapon, Greater

Level 4
Delay Death SC
Divine Power
Recitation SC

Level 5
Flame Strike
Righteous Might
Righteous Wrath of the Faithful SC

Level 6
Blade Barrier
Rejection SC
Zealot Pact SC

Level 7
Body of War SC
Brilliant Blade SC
Power Word Blind

Level 8
Brilliant Aura SCSC
Power Word Stun

Level 9
Power Word Kill
Storm of Vengeance
Abyssal Army, Heavenly Host, Hellish Horde, or Summon Elemental Monolith SC (pick one based on alignment)[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Water]
Granted Power
  • You gain a swim speed equal to your base land speed.  You can take 10 on swim checks, even when distracted. 
  • You can breathe underwater.
  • At 20th level, your type changes to outsider (water).
As normal except you turn fire creatures as undead and heal water creatures as living creatures.

Level 1
Animate Water SC
Obscuring Mist
Summon Monster I (Water subtype only)

Level 2
Fog Cloud
Quench
Summon Monster II (Water subtype only)

Level 3
Summon Monster III (Water subtype only)
Water Breathing
Water Walk

Level 4
Control Water
Summon Monster IV (Water subtype only)
Wall of Ice

Level 5
Cone of Cold
Ice Storm
Summon Monster V (Water subtype only)

Level 6
Acid Fog
Freezing Sphere
Summon Monster VI (Water subtype only)

Level 7
Cloudkill
Control Weather
Summon Monster VII (Water subtype only)

Level 8
Horrid Wilting
Polar Ray
Summon Monster VIII (Water subtype only)

Level 9
Elemental Swarm (Water subtype only)
Storm of Vengeance
Summon Monster IX (Water subtype only)[/spoiler]

Generalist spell list

The new Sorcerer/Wizard (generalist) list is presented below.  It takes certain "key" spells that only speciliasts should have and removes them.  Other spells are bumped back a level, so that the generalist gets them, but not as early.  Specilaist wizards use the original spell lists for their school of specialization, and this list for all other non-prohibited schools.

[spoiler=Level 1]1st

Abjur
Alarm
Endure Elements
Hold Portal
Karmic Aura CM

Conj
Mage Armor
Mount
Obscuring Mist
Resinous Tar CM
Summon Component CM
Unseen Servant

Div
Comprehend Languages
True Casting CM
True Strike
Vigilant Slumber CM

Ench
Charm Person

Evoc
Burning Hands
Dawnburst CM
Jet of Steam CM
Magic Missile
Shocking Grasp
Tenser's Floating Disk

Illus
Disguise Self
Silent Image

Necro
Cause Fear
Death's Call CM
Reaving Aura CM

Trans
Animate Rope
Enlarge/Reduce Person
Erase
Expeditious Retreat
Feather Fall
Jump[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Level 2]2nd

Abjur
Arcane Lock
Attentive Alarm CM
Obscure Object
Protection from Arrows
Resist Energy

Conj
Fog Cloud
Grease
Melf's Acid Arrow
Summon Monster I

Div
Allied Footsteps CM
See Invisibility

Ench
Daze Monster
Hypnotism
Torrent of Tears CM

Evoc
Continual Flame
Darkness/Daylight
Flaming Sphere
Gust of Wind
Luminous Swarm CM
Scorching Ray
Shatter

Illus
Blur
Color Spray
Invisibility
Minor Image
Misdirection

Necro
Blindness/Deafness
False Life
Ray of Enfeeblement
Scare

Trans
Boiling Blood CM
Darkvision
Heart of Air CM
Knock
Levitate
Pyrotechnics
Spider Climb
Whispering Wind[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Level 3]3rd

Abjur
Arcane Turmoil CM
Karmic Backlash CM
Nondetection
Protection from Energy

Conj
Glitterdust
Incendiary Slime CM
Phantom Steed
Sepia Snake Sigil
Sleet Storm
Summon Monster II
Summon Swarm
Web

Div
Enduring Scrutiny CM
Spellcaster's Bane CM
Tongues

Ench
Bothersome Babble CM
Deep Slumber
Heroism
Hold Person
Touch of Idiocy

Evoc
Fireball
Ghost Lantern CM
Lightning Bolt
Wind Wall

Illus
Deceptive Facade CM
Hood of the Cobra CM
Hypnotic Pattern
Major Image
Mask of the Ideal CM
Pall of Twilight CM

Necro
Escalating Enfeeblement CM
Prickling Torment CM
Ray of Exhaustion

Trans
Animate Weapon CM
Blink
Fly
Haste
Heart of Water CM
Slow[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Level 4]4th

Abjur
Dimensional Anchor
Dispel Magic
Otiluke's Suppressing Field CM
Tenacious Dispelling CM

Conj
Caustic Smoke CM
Dimension Door
Solid Fog
Stinking Cloud
Summon Monster III

Div
Arcane Eye

Ench
Charm Monster
Crushing Despair
Melf's Slumber Arrows CM

Evoc
Fire Shield
Ice Storm
Incediary Surge CM
Shout

Illus
Greater Invisibility
Nightmare Terrain CM

Necro
Bestow Curse
Contagion
Fear
Finger of Agony CM
Horrid Sickness CM
Touch of Years CM

Trans
Heart of Earth CM
Mass Enlarge/Reduce Person
Rary's Mnemonic Enhancer
Rebirth of Iron CM
Rusted Blade CM[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Level 5]5th

Abjur
Dismissal

Conj
Caustic Mire CM
Dimension Jumper CM
Fire and Brimstone CM
Minor Creation
Summon Monster IV
Teleport

Div
Detect Scrying
Prying Eyes

Ench
Hold Monster
Symbol of Sleep

Evoc
Bigby's Interposing Hand
Channeled Sonic Blast CM
Coat of Arms CM
Cone of Cold
Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
Resounding Thunder CM

Illus
Dream
False Vision
Fever Dream CM
Nightmare
Persistent Image
Retributive Image CM

Necro
Blight
Channeled Lifetheft CM
Cryptwarden's Grasp CM
Touch of Vecna CM
Waves of Fatigue

Trans
Heart of Fire CM
Lightning Leap CM
Overland Flight
Passwall
Telekinesis[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Level 6]6th

Abjur
Antimagic Field
Karmic Retribution CM
Repulsion

Conj
Cloudkill
Familiar Refuge CM
Mordenkainen's Trusted Bloodhound CM
Steal Summoning CM
Summon Monster V
Tactical Teleportation CM

Div
True Seeing

Ench
Dominate Person
Endless Slumber CM
Greater Heroism
Symbol of Persuasion

Evoc
Bigby's Forceful Hand
Chain Lightning
Lingering Flames CM
Otiluke's Freezing Sphere
Storm of Fire and Ice CM
Wall of Force

Illus
Permanent Image
Programmed Image

Necro
Eyebite
Symbol of Fear

Trans
Control Water
Flesh to Stone
Mordenkainen's Lucubration
Smoky Confignement CM

Univ
Permanency
Rary's Arcane Conversation CM[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Level 7]7th

Abjur
Banishment
Energy Absoption CM
Greater Dispel Magic
Sequester

Conj
Acid Fog
Choking Cobwebs CM
Drawmij's Instant Summons
Phase Door
Plane Shift
Greater Teleport
Summon Monster VI
Teleport Object

Div

Ench
Mass Hold Person
Power Word Blind

Evoc
Bigby's Grasping Hand
Mordenkainen's Sword
Prismatic Spray

Illus
Mass Invisibility

Necro
Finger of Death
Necrotic Curse CM
Waves of Exhaustion

Trans
Adamantine Wings CM
Control Weather
Disintegrate[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Level 8]8th

Abjur
Mysterious Redirection CM
Protection from Spells
Spell Turning

Conj
Deadly Lahar CM
Incendiary Cloud
Summon Monster VII

Div
Greater Prying Eyes
Moment of Prescience

Ench
Demand
Mass Charm Monster
Power Word Stun

Evoc
Bigby's Clenched Fist
Delayed Blast Fireball
Otiluke's Telekinetic Sphere
Polar Ray

Illus
Scintillating Pattern

Necro
Horrid Wilting
Touch of the Graveborn CM

Trans
Ethereal Jaunt[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Level 9]9th

Abjur
Dimensional Lock
Imrpisonment

Conj
Dimension Jumper, Greater CM
Gate
Genius Loci CM
Refuge
Summon Monster VIII
Towering Thunderhead CM

Div

Ench
Mass Hold Monster

Evoc
Bigby's Crushing Hand
Deadly Sunstroke CM
Lash of Force CM

Illus

Necro
Astral Projection

Trans
Temporal Stasis
Time Stop

Univ
Limited Wish[/spoiler]

CC - Complete Champion
CM - Complete Mage
PHB2 - Player’s Handbook 2
SC - Spell Compendium
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:26:22 AM by RobbyPants »
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 01:50:37 PM »
I would once again like to link this here solution for SoDs and SoSs. Robby proposed that the 'damage' dealt by them should be reduced to d3s rather than d4s, which I believe is sensible, although it may require adjusting the thresholds set by this article somewhat.

Also, this thread seems to be connected to this somehow. As does this one.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

Bauglir

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • TriOptimum
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 03:12:45 PM »
The link to your solution seems to be broken. Could you repost the gist of it somewhere? I get that it has something to do with Con damage instead of insta-death, but that's about it.
So you end up stuck in an endless loop, unable to act, forever.

In retrospect, much like Keanu Reeves.

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 03:18:36 PM »
Just to throw out a few that need changing, plus one or two suggested solutions:

Glitterdust.  Right now it's way too powerful as a 2nd level spell... it basically removes everyone in the area from the fight on a failed save, plus has added utility in locating invisible targets.  The Beguiler in my party just spams it all day long with great success.  I'd say change it to "dazzled" on a failed save.  It's still a handy spell... a minor debuff that really helps paint targets.  But it's not an encounter ender.  Then you can have "Greater Glitterdust" at level 4 or 5 that does what Glitterdust does now.

Explosive Runes.  As it stands, you can cast tons of these, then set them off as little bombs doing huge damage.  It's best for sorcerers, but wizards can do it too during downtime.  You never know when a parchment with 20 of these would be fun... 120d6 damage if you can deliver it!  An easy solution to this spell is to say that when the runes go off, any other runes in the explosion area are destroyed without causing further explosions.  Option B would be to just say that no one creature can be hit by more than one set of runes in a given round.

Alter Self/Polymorph/PAO/Shapechange.  Make darn sure these can't give you the spellcasting of the new form (remember, spellcasting is an extraordinary special attack).  But in general, I'd say these spells need to be removed and then replaced with specific spells similar to "Aspect of the Earth Hunter."  Spells that give a static ability, not a grab bag.

Celerity/Greater Celerity.  These might become balanced just by calming down some Wizard abilities, but as long as going first means winning, these are overpowered.  

Planar Binding/Gate (Calling version).  Getting high powered outsiders of your choice to do your bidding is just too strong, as there's too many super powered critters available (Effretis, Solars, Genies, etc).  The idea of summoning a deamon to do your bidding is a standard fantasy trope, but also part of that is that it should be dangerous.  But right now, the daemon is scared of the Wizard, not the other way around, so it just doesn't work.  I could see a "Bind Arrow Demon" spell or similar, making the spells specific in what they get, but that's about the only solution I see to these wide open spells.

Genesis.  Change it to be like the divine version (anything you want, except no time traits!).  The arcane one allowing Time Traits is just insane.

Color Spray:  Low levels shouldn't include AoE save or sucks that are this potent.  Make it cause a bunch of status effects, but nothing that takes enemies out of the picture entirely.

Knock:  Enough with spells beating skills entirely!  Make this spell give you an open lock check against the door, as a standard action, with no penalties for not having the right tools.  Gain a +Caster Level bonus to the check, and use your casting stat in addition to dexterity as a bonus.  Now casters are able to knock through locks, but they don't make Rogues look like chumps.

Arcane Lock:  On the other side of the equation, right now a 2nd level spell stops epic rogues from opening doors.  Heck with that.  Make this spell increase the DC to open the lock by your caster level + your primary casting stat.  Pretty darn good, but still beatable.

Haunt Shift:  Cool idea, but so easy to break.  I don't see any way to fix this without potencial breakage.  But maybe someone can, because the concept is awesome.

Harden:  Component free spells should not have instantaneous long duration effects like this.  Increasing the hardness of an object has uses (Haunt Shift) and will always have potencial... it shouldn't be free like this.  At the very least make it Perminant instead of instantaneous, so it can be dispelled, but I'd prefer 1 day/caster level.

That's all I have time for for now.

JaronK

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 04:38:40 PM »
Glitterdust.  Right now it's way too powerful as a 2nd level spell... it basically removes everyone in the area from the fight on a failed save, plus has added utility in locating invisible targets.  The Beguiler in my party just spams it all day long with great success.  I'd say change it to "dazzled" on a failed save.  It's still a handy spell... a minor debuff that really helps paint targets.  But it's not an encounter ender.  Then you can have "Greater Glitterdust" at level 4 or 5 that does what Glitterdust does now.
*ahem* Paizo *cough*
I oppose the change to glitterdust whereever it is found.
Grease and Colorspray changes as well.
  I belive it plays in to the stupid dynamic that wizards need to be weak at low levels in exchange for Godlike powers and high. If were' making them "Not so Godlike" at hight levels then there's no need to buttfuck them at low levels.
  Remember, at low levels. . . EVERYTHING, ends an encounter for a wizard. EVERYTHING is a save or die effect. So I'd like to just add that to my defese of Save or dies save or sucks.
1. If you weaken save or dies enough, people will stop caring about thier saves as much which will produce highly focused in one attribute pcs, over all. Consider it like the druid effect, no phys stats cause really only wisdom matters to me.
2. If we are dismissing the high game Godhood low game assumed gimpness. We must define and illustrate, what new dynamic for character balance and advancement replaces it. 

It is an oversimplification to simply say " that too broken here or there" without considering the imbalce created by the vacuum.

In accordance to my original suggestion about evocation the spells have been changed to save or sucks. They've also been given "warmage edge" so to speak, evocation is now powerful if you look at the totality of it. People still attack the save or suck, SOD  magic but all that this rubric is going to produce is a shifting of power if we're not careful, from SOD's being awsome ,evocation sucking. To Evocation awesome/Sods suck.
Consider.

People are considering what is without weigh what changes Robbypants has already listed as being "in".
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 04:53:20 PM »
In accordance to my original suggestion about evocation the spells have been changed to save or sucks. They've also been given "warmage edge" so to speak, evocation is now powerful if you look at the totality of it. People still attack the save or suck, SOD  magic but all that this rubric is going to produce is a shifting of power if we're not careful, from SOD's being awsome ,evocation sucking. To Evocation awesome/Sods suck.
Consider.

People are considering what is without weigh what changes Robbypants has already listed as being "in".
Speaking of that, what do people think of my proposed DD changes?  I feel the damage increase isn't going to far.  I'm still toying around with what to do with each different type of spell (fire, cold, force, etc...).
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 05:00:19 PM »
Consider.

Speaking of that, what do people think of my proposed DD changes?  I feel the damage increase isn't going to far.  I'm still toying around with what to do with each different type of spell (fire, cold, force, etc...).
Wait. I was actually hoping you might agree or disagree with me that I might either continue this line or argument or save my breath.
 Grease, Colorspray, and Glitterdust are what I"m defending generally. But save or dies or sucks in general need someone to advocate them.
 They're gonna get really fucked cause they're the elephant in the room when it comes to mage even though battlefield control is more powerful: God wizards and the such....

Oh and I really like the addition, I'm gonna run it by somefriends right now. M_v.
let me know about those spells.
My argument is : we want to get rid of whats "Broken" not whats "good" about spells.
Those spells don't belong on the list of spells you posted up at the top, despite what Jaronk k says.

Celerity and Polymorph DO! Colorspray?
One of these things is no like the other, good Robbypants...
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 07:34:49 PM »
Wait. I was actually hoping you might agree or disagree with me that I might either continue this line or argument or save my breath.
Sorry, I think I misunderstood what you meant earlier.

Grease, Colorspray, and Glitterdust are what I"m defending generally. But save or dies or sucks in general need someone to advocate them.
 They're gonna get really fucked cause they're the elephant in the room when it comes to mage even though battlefield control is more powerful: God wizards and the such....
I've toyed with nerfing those spells.  I even posted preliminary nerfed versions in the last thread, but it always seems like they suck too much afterward.  The problem is (and I agree with you 100%), is that SoDs look scary (and they are), but the CC spells sneak out from behind the corner and rape you.  No one sees them coming.  Even without nerfing SoDs, CCs are often better due to a larger AoE.  If we find a way to pull in the power of SoDs, CC will be the undisputed king.

So, really, I need a reliable way to pull CC down.  I agree that a low level wizard needs something to keep him alive (especially in the vanian system).  My only concern is if we don't do something, they'll never get below tier 1 or 2.

This something might be as simple as to allow a save each round to end the effect (this doesn't make sense for all spells, I know.  It's just a start).  So, the awesome Color Spray might offer a Will save each round to end the effect.  Chances are, it will still take out vulnerable targets for two or three rounds.  I think that's acceptable.

Oh and I really like the addition, I'm gonna run it by somefriends right now. M_v.
let me know about those spells.
By "addition" are you refering to the DD rules?

My argument is : we want to get rid of whats "Broken" not whats "good" about spells.
Those spells don't belong on the list of spells you posted up at the top, despite what Jaronk k says.

Celerity and Polymorph DO! Colorspray?
One of these things is no like the other, good Robbypants...
Yeah, those truely bad spells needed to be handled one by one in that first post.  I don't think I'm done, but I wanted to put up the obvious ones.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 07:38:34 PM »

I suggest Eletricity applies a penalty to attack/dmg rolls, or as someone at the other thread said, a penalty to Strength and Dexterity....

For the alignment descriptors... there are tables at someof the spells at Complete Champion with some small effects (-1 AC, -1 saves and so on).... maybe they could be used here as inspiration?

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2008, 08:54:23 PM »
I suggest Eletricity applies a penalty to attack/dmg rolls, or as someone at the other thread said, a penalty to Strength and Dexterity....
What are you thinking?  Like one point penalty per spell level for spell level rounds?  I'd probably do Dex.  If it's a penalty, it won't stack, but will overlap with higher level electricity powers.

For the alignment descriptors... there are tables at someof the spells at Complete Champion with some small effects (-1 AC, -1 saves and so on).... maybe they could be used here as inspiration?
I'll have to look at that.  I was planning on buying three more 3.5 books soon, and that's one of them.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2008, 09:05:01 PM »
*ahem* Paizo *cough*
I oppose the change to glitterdust whereever it is found.

Considering how easy and generally effective Glitterdust is, it really does need to be toned down.  It's not about "weak at low levels."  It's about "one spell takes out whole encounter."  Our party Beguiler has been spamming this one... he actually got bored of playing his beguiler because the proper solution to any combat problem was always "Glitterdust it."  It's far stronger than the vast majority of 2nd level spells and thus really does need to be toned down.

I hadn't seen what Paizo did with the spell.

JaronK

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2008, 09:54:43 PM »
Considering how easy and generally effective Glitterdust is, it really does need to be toned down.  It's not about "weak at low levels."  It's about "one spell takes out whole encounter."  Our party Beguiler has been spamming this one... he actually got bored of playing his beguiler because the proper solution to any combat problem was always "Glitterdust it."  It's far stronger than the vast majority of 2nd level spells and thus really does need to be toned down.

I hadn't seen what Paizo did with the spell.

JaronK
I'm running a conjurer in a game, and I've often found Glitterdust to be my typical solution too.  The only thing that's kept me from using it so often now is that I have Stinking Cloud.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2008, 10:11:05 PM »
As a possible representation of how the U_K fix COULD work, here are some spells I have fixed myself. Note that, I had implemented conversion of HD-based calculations to CR-based calculation, and had not yet realised much about content deletion, so forgive those two slips.

Spell Fix

Modified Rules: Damage Types

These are the damage types in my core:

Physical damageEnergy damage

This is damage that comes from energies, specifically acid, cold, fire, electricity and sonic (i.e. damage of elemental origins). It has no degrees of severity: all energy damage is considered lethal damage except as noted here.

-   DR and conversion have no effect on energy damage. [again, ignore conversion please]
-   Energy damage deals half its damage to objects.
-   Resistance to an energy type reduces the damage dealt by each energy damage attack by the amount specified. For example, resistance to fire 30 would reduce each fire damage-dealing attack by 30 damage.
-   Cold damage deals one-quarter damage to objects, but any effect that deals cold damage allows a Fort save to resist it.
-   Fire damage deals +1 damage per die.
-   Electricity damage gives any effect +2 to penetration rolls against spell or power resistance, as well as +2 to its DC.
-   Sonic damage deals -1 damage per die, but deals full damage to objects. [these were cloned from psionics - Robby's are better]

Special damage

This is damage that comes from any other sources, specifically positive damage, negative damage, ability damage, ability drain, ability burn and divine damage. It has no degrees of severity, aside from ability damage; all special damage is considered lethal damage, with the exception of ability burn, which is considered burn damage, except as noted here.

-   DR and conversion have no effect on special damage. [....conversion....]
-   Ability damage is dealt to an ability score, rather than to hit points. Ability damage returns at a rate of 1 ability point per day, or 2 points per day of total bed rest.
-   Ability drain is identical to ability damage, except it cannot recover naturally.
-   Ability burn is identical to ability damage, except it is treated as burn damage, which means that it cannot be restored in any way except by natural means, as burn damage normally is.
-   Positive damage deals the listed damage amount to undead, but restores a living being the listed number of hit points instead. Positive damage has no effect on objects or other non-living beings.
-   Negative damage deals the listed damage amount to living beings, but restores undead the listed number of hit points instead. Negative damage has no effect on objects or other non-living beings.
-   Divine damage cannot be resisted or prevented by any means. Note that an effect that gives a save against its effects still allows that save against divine damage.

Modified Rules: Ability Penalties

Many spells inflict penalties to ability scores for a set duration. These are not actual ability score reductions, and thus, the following rules apply.

-   For any rolls using that ability (or a skill or other effect tied to that ability), use the modified ability (after the penalties)
-   For spellcasting, manifesting or feat qualification, use the unmodified stat
-   In the case of a penalty to Con, hit points are not affected
-   In the case of a penalty to an ability which is keyed to a save, the save that it is keyed to cannot go below +0 overall because of penalties associated with the ability score penalty

[these changes were necessary to avoid problems with the next system, especially against casters]

Modified Rules: BufferMaster Spell ListAlign Ground
Evocation [see text]
Level: Clr 2
Components: V, S, M, DF
Casting time: Standard action
Range: Close (25ft +5ft/CL)
Area: 20ft radius emanation
Duration: 2 hours/CL
Save: None
SR: No

This spell fills an area with aligned energy, either good, evil, lawful or chaotic. Creatures of the opposed alignment (good opposes evil; law opposes chaos) take a -1 penalty on attack rolls, damage rolls and saves while in this area. Additionally, certain alignments grant additional benefits:
Consecrated (good): Attempts to turn undead receive a +3 bonus to their DC. Undead cannot be summoned or created in this area.
Desecrated (evil): Attempts to turn undead receive a -3 penalty to their DC. Undead created or summoned into this area gain +1 hit point per HD.
Freed (chaotic): Attempts to turn lawful creatures receive a +3 bonus to their DC. Lawful outsiders cannot be called or summoned into this area.
Ordered (lawful): Attempts to turn chaotic creatures receive a +3 bonus to their DC. Chaotic outsiders cannot be called or summoned into this area.

Align Water
Transmutation [see text]
Level: Clr 1, Pal 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: Standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Flask of water touched
Duration: Instantaneous
Save: Will negates (object)
SR: Yes (object)

This transmutation imbues a flask (1 pint) of water with aligned energies, making it into holy (good), unholy (evil), anarchic (chaos) or axiomatic (law) water. When you make water holy, unholy, anarchic or axiomatic, align water is a good, evil, chaotic or lawful spell respectively.
Material component: 5lb of powdered silver (worth 25gp).

Align WeaponAnimal Growth
Animal Trance

Enchantment (compulsion) [Buffer, Mind-Affecting, Sonic]
Level: Brd 2, Drd 2
Components: V, S
Casting time: Standard action
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/CL)
Targets: Animals or magical beasts with Int 1 or 2
Duration: Concentration
Save: Will negates; see text
SR: Yes

Your swaying motions and music (or singing, or chanting) compels animals and magical beasts to do nothing but watch you. Only creatures with Int 1 or 2 can be affected by this spell. Roll 2d6 to determine the total number of HD that can be affected by this spell, and the creatures affected begin with the closest; if you have insufficient HD remaining to fully affect another creature, the excess HD are wasted.
A creature affected by this spell becomes fascinated, doing nothing but watching the caster. Only a magical beast, a dire animal or an animal trained to attack receives this save; other animals are affected with no chance of a save.
Buffer: 2d4 Wis penalty instead of fascination
Buffer threshold: Wis 9

Animate DeadAntilife ShellArcane SightArcane Sight, GreaterAwakenBanishmentBarkskinBestow CurseBindingBlasphemyBlight
Necromancy
Level: Drd 3, Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, DF
Range: Close (25ft +5ft/level)
Target: One living creature or plant
Save: Fort half; see text

This spell withers a creature of any size. An affected creature takes 1d8 negative damage per CL (max 10d8), with a Fort save for half. A plant that is not sentient (such as a tree or shrub) instead simply withers and dies, with no effect on the soil or surrounding plant life.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2008, 10:11:58 PM »
Blindness/DeafnessCalm Animals
Enchantment (compulsion) [Buffer, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Animal 1, Drd 1
Target: Animals within 30ft of each other
Duration: 1 min/CL
Save: Will negates; see text
This spell soothes or quietens animals, rendering them docile and harmless. Only animals with 1 or 2 Int can be affected, all the subjects must be of the same kind, and no two may be more than 30ft apart. The maximum number of CR you can affect is equal to 1d4+CL. A dire animal or an animal trained to attack receives a save; other animals do not.
The targeted creatures become docile. A docile animal remains where it is, and does not attack or flee. They are not helpless, and can defend themselves normally. Any threat breaks the spell on the threatened creatures.
Buffer: 1d4 Wis damage
Buffer threshold: Wis 5

Calm EmotionsCause FearChaos HammerCharm Monster
Enchantment (charm) [Buffer, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 3, Sor/Wiz 4
Target: One living creature
Duration: 1 day/CL

The spell functions as charm person, except as noted here. The target is not restricted by creature type or size.
Buffer: 4d4 Wis penalty instead of becoming charmed.
Buffer threshold: Wis 1

Charm Monster, Mass
Enchantment (charm) [Buffer, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Brd 6, Sor/Wiz 8
Components: V
Targets: One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30ft apart
Duration: 1 day/CL

This spell functions as charm monster, except as noted here. Mass charm monster affects a number of creatures whose combined CR or character level do not exceed your CL, or one creature irresepective of CR or character level. If there are more potential targets than you can affect, you choose one at a time until you choose a creature with a CR which is too high.
Buffer: 8d4 Wis penalty instead of becoming charmed.
Buffer threshold: Wis 1

Charm PersonChill Touch
Necromancy [Buffer]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Range: Touch
Targets: Creature or creatures touched (up to one/CL)
Save: Fort partial or Will negates; see text

A touch from your hand, which glows with blue energy, disrupts the life force of living creatures. Each touch deals 1d6 negative damage. The touched creature must also make a Fort save or take 1 point of Str damage. You can use this melee touch attack up to once per CL.
An undead creature touched does not take damage from this spell as normal. Instead, it flees from you as if panicked for 1d4 rounds + 1 round/CL.
Buffer: 1d4 Wis damage instead of fleeing as if panicked (undead only).
Buffer threshold: Wis 7

Circle of DeathCloak of ChaosColour Spray
Illusion (pattern) [Buffer, Mind-Affecting]
Level: Sor/Wiz 1
Range: 15ft
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous; see text
Save: Will negates

A vivid cone of clashing colours springs forth from your hand, causing creatures to become stunned, perhaps also blinded, and possibly knocking them unconscious. Each creature within the cone is affected according to its CR or character level:
CR/character level 1: The creature is unconscious for 2d4 rounds, then blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round. Only living creatures can be unconscious (nonliving creatures are stunned instead).
CR/character level 2-3: The creature is blinded and stunned for 1d4 rounds, then stunned for 1 round.
CR/character level 4 or higher: The creature is stunned for 1 round.
Sightless creatures are immune to this spell.
Buffer: 1d4 Wis penalty instead of becoming unconscious, blinded or stunned (you must take the buffer penalty only once, regardless of how many effects you wish to ignore)
Buffer threshold: Wis 7 (unconsciousness or blindness), Wis 9 (stunning)
Material component: A pinch each of powder or sand coloured red, yellow and blue.

CommandCommand, GreaterCommand Plants
Command Undead
Cone of Cold
Evocation [Cold]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3, Water 4
Components: V, S, M/DF
Range: 60ft
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Save: Fort half

Cone of cold creates an area of extreme cold, originating at your hand and extending outward in a cone. It drains heat, dealing 1d6 cold damage per CL (max 10d6).
Arcane material component: A very small crystal or glass cone.

ConfusionConfusion, LesserContingencyControl Plants
Transmutation [Buffer]
Level: Drd 8, Plant 8
Components: V, S, DF
Targets: Up to CR or character level/CL of plant creatures, no two of which can be more than 30ft apart
Duration: 1 min/CL
SR: No

This spell enables you to control the actions of one or more plant creatures for a short period of time. You command the creatures by voice and they understand you, no matter what language you speak. Even if vocal communication is impossible, the controlled plants do not attack you. At the end of the spell, the subjects revert to their normal behaviour.
Suicidal or self-destructive commands are simply ignored.
Buffer: 8d4 Wis penalty instead of becoming controlled.
Buffer threshold: Wis 5

Control UndeadDaze
Level: Brd 0, Sor/Wiz 0
Target: One humanoid creature of CR or character level 2 or less
Duration: 1 round

This enchantment clouds the mind of a humanoid creature with CR or character level 2 or less so that it becomes dazed for 1 round. Humanoids of CR or character level 3 or more are not affected.
Buffer: 1d2 Wis penalty instead of becoming dazed.
Material component: A pinch of wool or similar substance.

Daze Monster
Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wis 2
Range: Medium (100ft +10ft/CL)
Target: One living creature of CR or character level 4 or less

This spell functions like daze, but can affect any one living creature of any type. Creatures of CR or character level 5 or more are not affected.
Buffer: 2d4 Wis penalty instead of becoming dazed.

Death Knell
Necromancy [Death, Evil]
Target: One living creature at -1 or fewer hp
Duration: Instantaneous or 10 minutes/CR or character level of the creature; see text

You draw forth the ebbing life force of one creature and use it to fuel your own power. You must make a ranged touch attack against a creature that is on -1 or fewer hit points. If you hit, that creature must make a Will save or die. If your target is killed this way, you gain 1d8 temporary hit points and 1 temporary spell point per 2 CL. Additionally, you gain +1 to your CL (but do not count this increase for the number of temporary spell points you gain from this spell). These effects last for 10 minutes per CR or character level of the target creature.

Death WardDeep SlumberDelay PoisonDemandDestructionDetect AlignmentDetect MysticsDictum

Check them both out!

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2008, 10:41:54 PM »
I just had an idea while out running about SoDs.  It's still in the brainstorming phase, but I think it has some serious merit.

Basically, you get to make three saving throws on a SoD.  Here's how it works:

Round 1: Roll a save.  If you succeed, the spell fails (or may have some partial effect depending on the spell).  If the save fails, you are paralyzed.  This may need to be altered for creaures immune to paralysis.  Perhaps dazed instead?

Round 2: Roll a second save.  If you succeed, the paralysis ends and the spell ends.  If you fail, you are dying and at -1 HP (assuming you aren't dead or at lower HP from the previous round).

Round 3: Roll a third save.  If you succeed, you are brought up to one hit point, unless you took damage last round.  If you fail, you die.

Analysis: It's a few extra dice rolls, but I think I might be onto something.  My two biggest problems with SoDs are that PCs can be felled so easily, and important battles can end anticlimactially.  I really have no problem with mooks getting killed by these spells.  Basically, this system helps keep PCs from dying from a single roll, but it still heavily penalizes the target on a failed save.  Getting paralyzed costs you an action and leaves you vulnerable for one round at the very least.

Also, I might be open to the idea of allowing the spell to be stopped at it's various stages.  If a person fails the first save, perhaps the spell can be ended that round if the paralysis is removed.  If they fail their second save, perhaps they can be saved by both removing the paralysis and getting them above zero hit points.

Another idea: Perhaps compare the caster level of the caster to the hit dice of the target.  If there is a big enough difference (maybe four levels or so?), skip to step two.  The target is dying on their first save and dies on the second.  If there is a larger difference (perhaps eight levels?), then skip to step three.  A single failed save kills the target.

Perhaps this is unnecessary.  As the difference in the caster's level and the target's HD increase, the saves are harder to make anyway.  This might needlessly complicate things.
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Shadowhowler

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 11:08:14 PM »
I'm running a conjurer in a game, and I've often found Glitterdust to be my typical solution too.  The only thing that's kept me from using it so often now is that I have Stinking Cloud.

Thats the thing. I played a Conjurer/Warlock/Eldritch Theurge recently... and I made lots of use of Glitterdust, Grease, and Stinking Cloud (and the lesser version in the SC thats only 2nd level). Thats part of the power of a Wizard, (and a Conjurer in perticular) the ability to target an enemies weakness. Between Glitterdust, Grease, and Stinking Cloud, you can target the Ref, Fort, or Will save of an opponent, and pretty much mess em up.

That said... while I belive those spells are VERY powerfull... I don't think they are completely 'broken' as Polymorph, Planner Summoning, Gate, and other over the top spells. I think if we take the UBER spells down a peg while bring the other classes up we can get closer to the balance we are looking for without nerfing EVERYTHING thats cool about being a Wizard.