Author Topic: D&D Core Classes [Rebalancing 3.5]  (Read 250585 times)

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
Re: D&D Core Classes [Rebalancing 3.5]
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2008, 11:57:54 PM »
The comment on Enlightenment was because "Perfect Self" is supposed to represent a monk, to some extent, reaching that, and all the super special awesome coolness thereof.

I'd rather have it just be "Hey. I am REALLY capable.", and enlightenment would be seperate from that.

As seems to be a pattern, you are misreading me.

In a game about the unarmed and unarmored mystic martial artists, I'd have little problem with unarmed men beating dragons, because the game is about how they have found the True Way. Only the weak/unskilled need weapons and armor.

In a game where most people are armed, that should be dealt with by making "being armed" worth the trouble.

A monk should not be any more "more than human" than anyone else, level by level. Or more than elven, or dwarven, or any other race, but I digress.

As to whether or not we are rebalancing towards the same point...so, why should I accept your comments more graciously than you're doing mine (which you also are misreading what they are to begin with)?

While I will freely admit that I don't really like the monk idea, saying that I'm "talking out of my ass" is both insulting and inaccurate. Either try to understand what I'm saying or find someone else (and somewhere else) to be a troll to.
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2008, 12:00:56 AM »
The problems with that is that its a move action. Thats not an action worth taking in general remeber the monk isnt' supposed to be a big damage dealer any way. That would be more in line with tier 3... if we...
1. Made it a swift action.
2. Make it a modified level check. Level + wisdom,
3. Expand the options of what it does. add for ever 5 points in the roll you gain a +1 enhancement to your unarmed attack or may add an equivelent melee weapon special ability.
So if your check is 15 you can have +1 holy fists. This ability lasts a number of rounds equal to your constitution modifier and is usable once perday per point of wisdom bonus.

Well.... I thought that such effort could expend some time... that's why I put it as a move action....
Regarding the Concentration/Level check... if it's to be used we have to choose which one to go and if making the check very well grants more bonuses...

I didn't thought about the special abilities stuff.... it's nice. But we have to pick those that would fit..... say Speed, Bane and so on...

Now for the other stuff:

-The DR thingie could be optional with another class ability (maybe SR or miss chance?), so those who want to pick DR, get DR those who want the other, pick the other...
-To be quite frank, I don't know how physical and mental training can change someone into a being from "another world".... I think Perfect Self the way it is now beats the idea of the Monk...

Monks should have some sort of "parry", just like some Fighters previously posted here, but different so Fighters and Monks can be different...

And I would like to suggest we stop the arguing so stuff can be produced (I know I added almost nothing to the discussion, but I'm willing to try to work on this...)

*raises Flame Shield*

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2008, 12:05:10 AM »
::casts "flame of flame shield penetrating"::

1) If it should spend some time, in my opinion, it should last more than one round (before the roll needs to be made again). That's not vital, but it would make more sense.

2) Indeed. I'm not sure what the other should be, but an either or would be good. Some monks might well learn it. Some won't.

3) We agree here.

4) Something. Not sure what.

5) The problem is that we don't all agree on what should be produced, hence the arguements.

6) There is no point #6.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2008, 12:17:27 AM »
The problems with that is that its a move action. Thats not an action worth taking in general remeber the monk isnt' supposed to be a big damage dealer any way. That would be more in line with tier 3... if we...
1. Made it a swift action.
2. Make it a modified level check. Level + wisdom,
3. Expand the options of what it does. add for ever 5 points in the roll you gain a +1 enhancement to your unarmed attack or may add an equivelent melee weapon special ability.
So if your check is 15 you can have +1 holy fists. This ability lasts a number of rounds equal to your constitution modifier and is usable once perday per point of wisdom bonus.

Well.... I thought that such effort could expend some time... that's why I put it as a move action....
Regarding the Concentration/Level check... if it's to be used we have to choose which one to go and if making the check very well grants more bonuses...

I didn't thought about the special abilities stuff.... it's nice. But we have to pick those that would fit..... say Speed, Bane and so on...

Now for the other stuff:

-The DR thingie could be optional with another class ability (maybe SR or miss chance?), so those who want to pick DR, get DR those who want the other, pick the other...
-To be quite frank, I don't know how physical and mental training can change someone into a being from "another world".... I think Perfect Self the way it is now beats the idea of the Monk...

Monks should have some sort of "parry", just like some Fighters previously posted here, but different so Fighters and Monks can be different...

And I would like to suggest we stop the arguing so stuff can be produced (I know I added almost nothing to the discussion, but I'm willing to try to work on this...)

*raises Flame Shield*

I stopped. See my last post.
Moving on, did you have a chance to see szatany's ultmate monk? It... really encapsulates what I'm shooting towards fluffwise. We kind of need a point of reference as to what our destinattion monk will be.
Mechanically, and I guess fluff wise too... I point to szatanys ultimate as the fluff inspitration.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2008, 12:42:11 AM »
Moving on, did you have a chance to see szatany's ultmate monk? It... really encapsulates what I'm shooting towards fluffwise. We kind of need a point of reference as to what our destinattion monk will be.
Mechanically, and I guess fluff wise too... I point to szatanys ultimate as the fluff inspitration.

Found her page on the "other sources" topic....finishing the read right now...

1) If it should spend some time, in my opinion, it should last more than one round (before the roll needs to be made again). That's not vital, but it would make more sense.

Well.... this makes me think that by making it a swift action every round would fit your description...

2) Indeed. I'm not sure what the other should be, but an either or would be good. Some monks might well learn it. Some won't.

I loved various abilities in the Ultimate Monk. Maybe we could tweak some of them?

4) Something. Not sure what.

Maybe an attack roll using your Wisdom instead of Strength as an immediate action or a tweaked Sense Motive check?

5) The problem is that we don't all agree on what should be produced, hence the arguements.

If that is the problem, then I vote for the version Midnight_v spoke before. I like some of its abilities...

6) There is no point #6.

Well.... from my point of view it seemed like an (somewhat) improdutive arguing.... that's why I said that.

Oh yeah.... don't expect replies from me till tomorrow, 12 hours from now.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2008, 01:42:35 AM »
1) Ja. That'd be good. (Note: I say "Ja" as "Yes." or "Yeah." a lot. No, I'm not Scandinavian. It just sounds neat.)

2) Sure. I don't own the book, but I'd be prepared to look at anything you can present from there.

3) There is no #3.

4) I like the idea of "May use Wisdom as the to-hit stat." You could just have that be on "all the time", even, I think.

5) Well, present what looks good and we'll discuss it. : ) One of the nice things about this is that we can take bits and pieces from various monk variants and stich them together.

6) No worries.

May the Emperor be with you until then. Fare well.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2008, 02:01:47 AM »
I think you all need to decide right now if your trying to represent the martial arts realistically/historically or cinematically/fantastically. If it's the first one, then martial artists are just fighters with fluff. If it's the second one, then stop arguing over the finer points of history and use movies/comics as your guide.

Agreed.

Though in all fairness, 3.5 DOES NOT lend itself well to historical correctness. If you want to play that way go play GURPS or something.
The problem with using movies/comics as a guide is that they often (though not always) do ludicriously implausible stuff.

:wall :wall :wall

For fuck's sakes, Elennsar. We're talking about a game where beating enough creatures up can eventually give you power to RAISE THE DEAD AND/OR RESHAPE REALITY. 3.5 is not a fucking realistic system. Adventurers are, more often than not, much bigger than reality would POSSIBLY ALLOW THEM TO BE. D20 does not work well with nuances and realism - here you're either a hero or a zero, and two common people trying to kill each other via stabbing with knives might take as much as a minute or two actually going at it before they can kill themselves off!

And no, this isn't a "this is fantasy" or a "this is a game" argument. Your argument is flawed because, fundamentally, given the choice, no one would be either a Fighter or a Monk - everyone would be a Wizard. Strategically speaking, these guys would be MUCH better as an army than the same number of people with pointy stuff.

Now please. Let's not waste any more time discussing what you feel is or isn't appropriate for a monk to be able to do compared to a fighter. We both know they're melee guys with different approaches by now, right?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2008, 02:22:28 AM »
1) No, but it should at least represent it to the extent that "No, you cannot kill a dragon with a dagger (usually)." and such.

2) And this is a good thing? We should have it so that the PCs are not merely cinematic action heroes, but demigods capable of outfighting anyone in (Earthly) legend or myth? Doesn't sound like such a great idea to me.

I don't mind if it is possible to raise the dead or reshape reality to some extent. I do mind and will argue against anything making it so that characters are competing with the legends of Zeus and Odin rather than the legends of larger-than-life-but-still-human mortals.

As to wizards vs. fighters or monks:
Wrong. No one given the choice when wizards are given powers that completely and totally overwhelm anything someone with pointy stuff would be a fighter or monk, yes. When wizardry is useful but with limitations (for instance, it takes a lot of time), there are people who would consider it worth it because it is useful in some ways. There are plenty of people who would use pointy stuff because wizardry is ineffective at replacing it.

There is NO reason why wizards should be capable of blowing up armies without effort simply because they use this thing that doesn't exist in our world called magic. Should they get useful and potent powers? Yes. Ones that make learning how to use pointy stuff irrelevant? Not necessarily.

There are two ways to rebalance the game. One is to make everyone superpowerful, in which case you're basically making a superhero/god level game, or to make those who are too powerful toned down.

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2008, 03:06:22 AM »
Though in all fairness, 3.5 DOES NOT lend itself well to historical correctness. If you want to play that way go play GURPS or something.
Which is why I advocate for using movies and comics as your guide, rather than some foggy notion of "reality." D&D doesn't need to be realistic. It needs to be consistent in its fantasy.

Adventurers are, more often than not, much bigger than reality would POSSIBLY ALLOW THEM TO BE.
The best way to think of D&D characters is this: they're the superheroes of fantasy worlds. They're capable of the same kind of ridiculous, reality-defying bullshit as Batman, just within a different genre.

given the choice, no one would be either a Fighter or a Monk - everyone would be a Wizard. Strategically speaking, these guys would be MUCH better as an army than the same number of people with pointy stuff.
I think this is absolutely true, and it doesn't mean that wizards have to be more powerful than fighters. It means that within the game world, you're going to encounter far more fighters than wizards. A player can choose between the two with freedom, but for the people living in a D&D world, fighters are all over the place and it's only a rare, "touched" wierdo who can sling magic. I think the monk and the wizard should have this in common. A player can choose a monk if she wants to, but within the game world, only a select number of naturally talented bad-asses can learn the ways of the fighting monk. That way (a) there's a reason that not everybody's monks (in the game world) and (b) you can create balance between the fighter and the monk.

Sometimes you need a bit of fluff to keep the crunch from destroying itself. To switch the metaphor, what you all call "fluff" functions mechanically the same way oil does in a machine. The machine's parts (the "crunch") have to be in working order all on their own, but if you try to run it without the oil (the "fluff"), it will destroy itself very quickly.

We both know they're melee guys with different approaches by now, right?
That's where I started with the whole thing, myself.

1) No, but it should at least represent it to the extent that "No, you cannot kill a dragon with a dagger (usually)." and such.
I don't have a problem with that. I think it's the height of D&D cool that you can build a character who could take down a giant with a sling stone (David and Goliath, anyone?) or for that matter, stab out a dragon's heart with a dagger (as in the recent Beowulf film). The whole point of D&D is living out our ridiculous sword-and-sorcery hero fantasies (or villain fantasies, if that's what you're into).

2) And this is a good thing? We should have it so that the PCs are not merely cinematic action heroes, but demigods capable of outfighting anyone in (Earthly) legend or myth? Doesn't sound like such a great idea to me.
I think it's acceptable if they're eventually demi-gods, but not until their at epic levels, myself.

I don't mind if it is possible to raise the dead or reshape reality to some extent. I do mind and will argue against anything making it so that characters are competing with the legends of Zeus and Odin rather than the legends of larger-than-life-but-still-human mortals.
Then you can play at mid-level and the rest of us can continue into the high/epic levels. Fair, yes?

As to wizards vs. fighters or monks:
Wrong. No one given the choice when wizards are given powers that completely and totally overwhelm anything someone with pointy stuff would be a fighter or monk, yes. When wizardry is useful but with limitations (for instance, it takes a lot of time), there are people who would consider it worth it because it is useful in some ways. There are plenty of people who would use pointy stuff because wizardry is ineffective at replacing it.
In my games, wizardry is in the blood, so only a limited number of people in the world can sling magic. Oiling the machine, that's me...

There are two ways to rebalance the game. One is to make everyone superpowerful, in which case you're basically making a superhero/god level game, or to make those who are too powerful toned down.
As I said above, we have this convenient mechanism of level advancement that means that we can play at different power levels if we want to. As long as the low-level starts "nearly human" and we don't get to "legendary" until the upper teens, I don't see the big problem. I'm NOT a fan of power creep, but as long as there's a way for you play both a low-power and a high-power game with the same system, then I don't see a problem.

So the real question (that we theoretically started with) is this: how do we bring both the monk and the fighter up to Tier 3? And on a related note, how do we bring the wizard, cleric, and druid down to tier 3? That's why we're here, right?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 03:09:33 AM by Orion »

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2008, 03:42:51 AM »
1) It also needs to have things work as do in our world, to the extent that is relevant. For instance, gravity, yes. Magic may or may not be able to manipulate gravity, but presumably its default effects are the same. Similarly, the effects of sharp objects on human flesh should be about the same.

2) Batman, yes. Superman, no. Having characters be able to do more than human things is reasonable, having characters be able to make things that would be obstacles to humans totally irrelevant is not so reasonable. Even Hercules had to eat, drink, sleep, and use the little godling's room.

3) If being a monk requires "something rare and special", that should be reflected in the rules. 2nd edition's "minimum ability scores to take this class" being reintroduced...if properly done...might be a good idea. However, if that's the case, one should ensure that characters will generally have decent ability scores, at the least, which dice are iffy about.

4) Nothing to say here, just numbering it so that I don't get out of numerical order.

5) I do have a problem with that. A foot long blade is simply not long enough to reach a dragon's heart no matter how badass you are. Now, if you can find some way around that, and kill it without having to pierce several feet of scale and flesh and bone, more power to you. That is pretty cool. David slaying Goliath was a good example of a crit (and/or God cheating, but that's a seperate issue).

6) At least. As written, it starts in the 10-15 range, and is definate by the 16-20. 21+ just gets "Okay. Not even Cuchulain is that good.", which is not a good thing. We all want to play at least somewhat larger than life, but when we have characters who make the best characters of myth and legend look weak, something is off.

7) See above. On the whole, most of the game should not be "superhuman". Larger than life, yes. Action moviesque, yes. "I have an IQ in the 400s.", no.

8) Works. However, that should mean that wizard PCs are uncommon, too. Having all the PCs be mutant freaks is a tad too strange. But that should be between the DM and the players, not a "Do this according to the rules or we will hunt you down and kill you."

9) The problem is that it means that eventually, if you keep playing long enough, you will reach the next tier. That bothers me. I'd like to have the threshold between tiers set up so that you have to go to some effort to cross it. Of course, if you're playing in a game of capital-L legends, you'd have the capacity to do so. It's just that "I gain xp" alone won't get you there. Being a legend is about more than just how experienced you are, after all. It's about doing legendary stuff.

10) I'm not entirely sure on the boosting. As to pushing them down....one thing to do is dramaticaly limit what can be done via magic. Magic should not be a "I cast the spell of solve this problem". Tier 3 mages (used to mean spellcasters) should have spells that are capable of allowing them to solve something, but not simple "I solve this with my spell". Similarly, the number of spells available (as in, the number in the game and the number any given character can learn) needs to be cut down.

One other thing is to have magic be draining. As in, physically exhausting. Not per spell, necessarily, but a spellcaster using either many spells or one massively potent spell should feel pretty worn down afterwards.

Orion

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2008, 05:00:57 AM »
1) It also needs to have things work as do in our world, to the extent that is relevant. For instance, gravity, yes. Magic may or may not be able to manipulate gravity, but presumably its default effects are the same. Similarly, the effects of sharp objects on human flesh should be about the same.
On the first count, sure, yes, the rules of the fantasy world need to be consistent, on the second count, no, I have to disagree. If the effect of sharp things on human flesh were about the same in D&D as in the real world, then our characters would die a lot, and there'd be no such thing as getting more HPs when you progress up through your levels. In fact, the manner in which the human(oid) body takes damage has to be radically different in D&D for the game to work at all, much as it has to be in almost all forms of action movies.

Having characters be able to do more than human things is reasonable, having characters be able to make things that would be obstacles to humans totally irrelevant is not so reasonable. Even Hercules had to eat, drink, sleep, and use the little godling's room.
Okay, so basically now we're haggling on what level of power is "too" powerful. Fair enough. I think that there should simply be a scale, from nearly human to (potentially) demi-god, and everything in between.

3) If being a monk requires "something rare and special", that should be reflected in the rules. 2nd edition's "minimum ability scores to take this class" being reintroduced...if properly done...might be a good idea. However, if that's the case, one should ensure that characters will generally have decent ability scores, at the least, which dice are iffy about.
I was thinking of that, too. I think the design concept in 3.x was that instead of having actual minimum scores, the classes would simply be built such that unless you had high scores, playing a monk (or paladin, or bard) would be a sucky experience. So if you have decent/okay abilities, just take a fighter. If you got lucky with your rolls and have good/high abilities, then try out a Range/Paladin/Monk. I'm not saying they achieved that goal, but that seems to have been the thinking. The thing to do, then, is to be explicit about it. "Unless you have decent Dex and Wisdom, your monk will suck. Unless you have decent Str, Con, and Wis, your paladin will suck." etc.

5) I do have a problem with that. A foot long blade is simply not long enough to reach a dragon's heart no matter how badass you are.
Fine, then you hit a major artery, or you cut off its oxygen, or however the hell you want to explain it. Unless you want to bring in an anatomically-specific set of combat rules (please gods no!), then you're stuck with "your weapon can do X damage, and that monster has Y damage." Measuring the weapon's length compared to how far into its body its heart is would require a whole different combat system and effectively a whole different game. D&D just doesn't do that. Never has.

6) At least. As written, it starts in the 10-15 range, and is definate by the 16-20. 21+ just gets "Okay. Not even Cuchulain is that good.", which is not a good thing. We all want to play at least somewhat larger than life, but when we have characters who make the best characters of myth and legend look weak, something is off.
As long as there's a full range of power levels, then what do you care if other people play god-like?

8) Works. However, that should mean that wizard PCs are uncommon, too. Having all the PCs be mutant freaks is a tad too strange. But that should be between the DM and the players, not a "Do this according to the rules or we will hunt you down and kill you."
Adventurers are social freaks. They exist outside of all the normal social structures, including class, economy, and even family. They are special. They are, effectively, the superheroes of a fantasy world. That's their nature. The overwhelming majority of NPCs in any given D&D world will never earn more than a handful of hit points or learn to swing a sword with the kind of skill and power that even a mid-level PC will. That's the only way that D&D worlds make sense. When the PCs are already among that rarefied group, there is no need whatsoever to limit their access to wizard/sorcerer/druid/cleric classes.

9) The problem is that it means that eventually, if you keep playing long enough, you will reach the next tier. That bothers me. I'd like to have the threshold between tiers set up so that you have to go to some effort to cross it. Of course, if you're playing in a game of capital-L legends, you'd have the capacity to do so. It's just that "I gain xp" alone won't get you there. Being a legend is about more than just how experienced you are, after all. It's about doing legendary stuff.
The tiers, as I understand them, are relative to one another. Thus the goal is for everyone to progress at more or less the same rate. The nature of an RPG with levels is that the PCs get progressively more powerful. If you don't like it, then stop awarding XP at 6th level. Problem solved.

10) I'm not entirely sure on the boosting. As to pushing them down....one thing to do is dramaticaly limit what can be done via magic. Magic should not be a "I cast the spell of solve this problem". Tier 3 mages (used to mean spellcasters) should have spells that are capable of allowing them to solve something, but not simple "I solve this with my spell".
So the spells should be able to solve problems, but not solve problems...? (I have no idea what you're trying to say)

Similarly, the number of spells available (as in, the number in the game and the number any given character can learn) needs to be cut down.
That might be the way to go. Unless you want to rewrite all the spells, this is a simple, quick way to cut down on the wizard's power. Makes it a lot less fun to play the wizard, though, so maybe the game should award more low-level spells and fewer mid/high-level spells?

The other thing that occurred to me with regard to spell-casters in general is that if you make it easier to disrupt casting, then you put a serious, in-game limit on them. In 2nd Ed., taking a hit at all ruined casting, and because of the way rounds worked, that could happen in any round in which a caster started a spell, not just with held actions or 1-round casting [thank you, Sunic]. Spell disruption was a major part of the risk of casting spells anywhere near combat, and it's been all but removed in 3.x. I think it should come back.

One other thing is to have magic be draining. As in, physically exhausting. Not per spell, necessarily, but a spellcaster using either many spells or one massively potent spell should feel pretty worn down afterwards.
That's not how spell-casting traditionally works in D&D. You're talking about designing a whole new game, now. Honestly, I don't mean to sound dismissive, but maybe you should work up a fantasy version of Shadowrun? It has much more "realistic" damage rules (relatively speaking), and the "drain" system for spell-casting has a lot going for it. I have to say, though, in all honesty, what you're advocating for in this thread is a total rewrite of D&D into effectively a different game. If I wanted that, I'd just take up a different game. There are plenty of them on the market. I'm sticking with D&D because I mostly like it the way it is. There's no point in doing a rewrite so massive that it's a different game entirely, at least not for me.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2008, 06:59:23 PM by Orion »

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2008, 10:03:16 AM »
1 round spell casting. A full round action spell can only be stopped with a readied action, same as standard.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2008, 11:11:54 AM »
In light of these events I'm just going to start proposing builds and powers.

What I'm going to need help with is snazzy names. My intent will to put the monk squarely on the level of the Tob characters and to have it being done a certain way.
The ultimate goal of a monk: Transcendance/Enlightenment:
20th level become an Outsider. Which will be a 0 level adjustment template like state.

Currently, some of it I'm going to cannabalize from Szatany (her?) and some from Frank & K, but a lot of it will be modeled after the dread necro and binder, as far as immunity scaling and progression.

One thing I want to know is if we should have 1 path or 2 paths within the class.
Right now I'm thinking of giving it a scaling Dr/x (capping exactly at 20 when you get your template)
or a scaling miss chance (that would end at 50% at level 20) or both.
There will be fluff explanations fro both given later but for now I wonder how strong is that verses the binder.

Also Kuroimaken do you take positive or negative fu sir? I want to give you some for that last post but I notice you have a -26 and I dont' know which you prefer.

Finally, this version of the monk I'm building will be a skirmisher.

The way it will do this is by having multiple stunning fist like abilities.
Stunning fist.
Immoblizing fist (reflex or speed drops to zero)
and
I'm going to rework the way Dimond soul works. To make it actually make you immune to hostile magic in some way shape or form on a successful  Check/save (undecided)

I made a binder last night that was more monk than the monk and decided that was the direction I wanted to try it. Please feel free to pitch a proposal out there or critique my base thoughts.
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

RobbyPants

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2008, 12:31:02 PM »
In light of these events I'm just going to start proposing builds and powers.
Cool.  Thanks for starting this.  I'm to wiped out to begin doing that on my own.

What I'm going to need help with is snazzy names. My intent will to put the monk squarely on the level of the Tob characters and to have it being done a certain way.
20th level become an Outsider. Which will be a 0 level adjustment template like state.
I can agree to this vision of a monk.

Currently, some of it I'm going to cannabalize from Szatany (her?) and some from Frank & K, but a lot of it will be modeled after the dread necro and binder, as far as immunity scaling and progression.
Interesting.  I like a lot of what I saw on F&K's monk, but I havent' given it a thorough read trough.

One thing I want to know is if we should have 1 path or 2 paths within the class.
Right now I'm thinking of giving it a scaling Dr/x (capping exactly at 20 when you get your template)
or a scaling miss chance (that would end at 50% at level 20) or both.
There will be fluff explanations fro both given later but for now I wonder how strong is that verses the binder.

I like the idea of multiple paths for several classes.  I think this suits monk just fine.  Whether it be from several hard-wired paths (like the ranger) or something more mutable, like a list of bonus feats, I like the idea.

Finally, this version of the monk I'm building will be a skirmisher.

The way it will do this is by having multiple stunning fist like abilities.
Stunning fist.
Immoblizing fist (reflex or speed drops to zero)
Good.  So long as the monk has an obvious niche to fill.  What sucks about it now is it doesn't do anything particularly well.  If people know how to play a monk, the class might start doing better.

I'm going to rework the way Dimond soul works. To make it actually make you immune to hostile magic in some way shape or form on a successful  Check/save (undecided)
I'm assuming you mean not to use SR, so you can still receive buffs?  This could work.  The easiest way I can think of to word it without explicitly using SR is to state that anytime the monk is an unwilling target of a spell, the caster must succeed in a caster level check.  Spells unaffected by SR will bypass this.  What should the DC be?  11 + Monk level?  Add in Wis mod (probably not)?

You could also simply allow the monk to raise and lower their SR as a free action, allowing him to freely receive buffs, but not lose actions when raising and dropping his SR.  Other than that, the really high saves and high touch AC will do a lot for keeping the monk safe from spells.
My balancing 3.5 compendium
Elemental mage test game

Quotes
[spoiler]
Quote from: Cafiend
It is a shame stupidity isn't painful.
Quote from: StormKnight
Totally true.  Historians believe that most past civilizations would have endured for centuries longer if they had successfully determined Batman's alignment.
Quote from: Grand Theft Otto
Why are so many posts on the board the equivalent of " Dear Dr. Crotch, I keep punching myself in the crotch, and my groin hurts... what should I do? How can I make my groin stop hurting?"
Quote from: CryoSilver
I suggest carving "Don't be a dick" into him with a knife.  A dull, rusty knife.  A dull, rusty, bent, flaming knife.
Quote from: Seerow
Fluffy: It's over Steve! I've got the high ground!
Steve: You underestimate my power!
Fluffy: Don't try it, Steve!
Steve: *charges*
Fluffy: *three critical strikes*
Steve: ****
Quote from: claypigeons
I don't even stat out commoners. Commoner = corpse that just isn't a zombie. Yet.
Quote from: CryoSilver
When I think "Old Testament Boots of Peace" I think of a paladin curb-stomping an orc and screaming "Your death brings peace to this land!"
Quote from: Orville_Oaksong
Buy a small country. Or Pelor. Both are good investments.
[/spoiler]

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: September 15, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
1) I don't know what action movies you're judging from. I know that the ones I'm looking at...it's not that the Hero(es) can take mountains of damage, it's that they don't get hurt to begin with.

One thing that ought to be loudly noted is that it is just as realistic to be shot six times (with not so triffling injuries) and live as to be shot once and die. It's not as common, but it's still perfectly possible.

2) Mmhm. But "demigod" should be pushed into epic levels. As noted, even Cuchulain is going to be outclassed by an Epic Barbarian, which is weird.

3) I'd rather have requirements. That way it's clear what the minimum to do X well is. If you don't have that, you're going to fail. "Good scores" is too vague. Is a 14 good? Yessss..but you don't want to have only 14 Charisma as a paladin if you can help it.

4) Social freaks, yes. Mutants, no. And having the PCs be one of a fraction of a percentage point of people is good for some campaigns (and power levels), not for others.

5) No, but saying "You can do up to X damage with a dagger, dragons have  DR Y/-" would be quite simple and reasonable.

6) I don't mind if other people play god-like at very high levels (since D&D level progression can theoretically reach 1 short of infinity), I do mind having the levels I want to play in forced to be 1-8 because 9-20 becomes increasingly demigodic in a hurry.

7) A well chosen spell should be able to assist a mage solve a problem. A mage should not have access to a spell that will make a problem (of consequence to an experienced adventurer) go away by snapping his fingers. Thus, no "I cast the spell of solving the mystery" A spell that will help the mage solve the mystery, yes. But not one that will provide all the clues and evidence.

8) No, problem solved is having it be possible to play moderately powerful for longer than "superhumanly powerful" at the pre-epic point. (since epic levels by definition are meant to be the "you have completely left humanity behind", I have no problem with 21+ being demigods.)

9) Not really. There are hundreds (thousands?!) of spells out there. I wouldn't be in favor of cutting them down to "ten or less per level", but "hundreds" of options is excessive.

10) If it made sense, sure.

11) There's no point doing a rewrite so minimal that all it does is patch the biggest holes and make it so that anyone who doesn't like VERY HIGH FANTASY is shit out of luck. If I wanted to play solely Earthdawn or GURPS, I would. I would like to be able to play D&D and do things at a moderately cinematic level but not be forced to either stop advancing really early on or play characters who create empires by personal fighting ability.

I have nothing against epic/superhuman level, Exalted is an interesting game that I wouldn't mind trying at some point. But I mind the tier system being set up so that the majority of the pre-epic game is like that, and any pretense towards being realistic is abandoned simply because actually getting hurt is unfun. (As noted, realistic injuries are less of a problem than very low level D&D.)

Sunic: That could work. Would this be alterable with Quicken Spell or would that be dropped?

Midnight: The only problem I can think of with the miss chance is that it means someone, however skilled, is effected by it. Skill becoming irrelevant doesn't seem like a good idea.

Otherwise, what Robby said seems supportable. Particularly "can be buffed but not hindered", which might be a good tweak to SR in general.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #135 on: September 15, 2008, 12:54:44 PM »
I have no idea what you're saying about 'that can work'. I was correcting whoever said full round action spells could be disrupted outside of readied actions.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: September 15, 2008, 12:56:16 PM »
Ah, I thought you were suggesting a change. My bad.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #137 on: September 15, 2008, 01:37:06 PM »
Also Kuroimaken do you take positive or negative fu sir? I want to give you some for that last post but I notice you have a -26 and I dont' know which you prefer.

I take negative. For one, I'm too far in the negatives to bother trying to shoot up. For two, I actually kinda like the negatives better.   :D

Mkay. Names, names... you COULD steal the class feature name Apotheosis (from the Knights of the Sacred Seal PrC), but this could raise a bit of confusion. How about Spiritual Apex? Unless you're thinking of following the ToB style of naming stuff, which steals (poorly) from fantasy martial arts name design. One other idea: Chrysalid Break (an allusion to the metamorphosis of a butterfly), or Soul Release (suggested fluff text: "at this level of enlightenment, the monk's soul breaks free of its flesh cage, and the monk effectively becomes his soul").
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #138 on: September 15, 2008, 05:45:12 PM »
I've run into another problem.

At every level, everything the monk does, a binder does better. I'm actually at a wall with it. I was going to give the monk a set of static abilities that were really good. Then I realized that a binder could have the same set of abilites if they wanted and then be something completely differnt the next day.
Its pretty awsome actually, not for the monk though. So...
Right now the only thing that I'm really concrete on is that it should be "Transcending towards Enlightenment" or whatever. and that it should be a skirmisher that does damage yes but primarily causes a variety of status effects, standing toe to toe with one is worse because I want it to be able to stunning fist you with every lick, in a pinch if it needs to. So it should have enough with stunning fist equaling your monk level per day and immobliizing fist the same.
I've considered giving it some untyped damage or enhancement to the fist.
And I think I've got the final level ability down but then I realize "binders" are doing that too at some level.
It's all in all frustrating.
I'll get back to you guys, has anyone seen anything from any source they feel is a must have on a monk?

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #139 on: September 15, 2008, 05:53:00 PM »
Drop Binders, because they're increasingly seeming entirely broken.

As to monks:

Mettle (Evasion but for Fort/Will) and Improved Mettle (not sure if this exists as is, but it should)

Uncanny Dodge and Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Making it so that it is worse to stand toe to toe with a monk (despite the fact monks are skirmishers) is a very bad idea. Not arguing with giving them enough stunning attempts and the like to seriously ruin their opponent's day, but skirmishers should be weak in toe-to-toe...their strength is avoiding being forced into it.

The Run feat, instead of the current bosot to movement speed (slow them down a little. "Faster than a speeding bullet" is a bit much. Sure, monks should be fast, but not this fast.)

Nothing else comes to mind offhand.