Author Topic: A somewhat serious optimization topic. (Crusader of Logic)  (Read 2040 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
A somewhat serious optimization topic. (Crusader of Logic)
« on: September 08, 2008, 03:38:55 PM »
Optimizing the Crusader of Logic: :evillaugh

So I got to thinking about just how one would go about optimizing a Crusader of Logic. Then I remembered a power build I used to good effect and am now trying to fuse and refine the concept. So, here's what I have so far:

Artificer 19/Cloistered Cleric 1. The CC dip is there for Pride Domain, Knowledge Devotion, and something else (many options exist).

The CoL fights with a weapon that could conceivably be called a 'Cluebat' (club, greatclub, whatever). Obviously two handed weapons win by a landslide here. If there's a reach weapon that meets this criteria, that wins. I don't think there is though, because bludgeoning weapons lose in D&D. He also has infusions, spells, whatever but he is a gish first and foremost.

The CoL is free to abuse Persist Spell and other fun such as Extraordinary Spell Aimed AMFs. This also blocks Dispels, which would normally ruin his day.

The CoL does not have to follow those class guidelines. He can be a Cleric or something instead. I just like Artificers so I'd prefer that base. He can also dip other stuff if it's worth it. It'd take a lot to be worth losing a second Artificer level though.

The CoL is a templateless human. That includes no LA 0 templates. Ideally he isn't dependent on changing his form at all. This also extends to the feats that do things like add tentacles. I'm ok with Bite of the Werebear though. Just that the CoL should be a badass because he's a CoL, not because he changed into something badass. Everyone knows Shapechange wins, no need to prove it.

The CoL does not utilize any TO material. CO stuff is obviously fair game.

The CoL should be able to be viable in this role for as many levels as possible. He'll most likely have to play support or something at the low levels, but beyond that he should have no problem functioning as stated above. He's quite versatile enough to handle high level stuff, so I'm not worried.

The CoL can draw from any WotC 3.5 material. He can also draw from WotC 3.0 material that was not reprinted, though I'd prefer to stick to pure 3.5. The CoL build should be as streamlined as possible for simplicities' sake but this is not a hard and fast requirement.

Since the CoL is rather heavily dependent on precast all day spells, he should have some means of either mitigating the cost, or have a 'good enough' setup for days where trouble isn't expected so that he doesn't end up in the red because he doesn't fight anything for a month.

The CoL is damn near impossible to kill, while still kicking ass. In other words, high stats all around. Persist spells should cover this, but it deserves repeating. He only has 32 PB to start though, but should be able to take that and get high AC/touch AC/saves/whatever else without losing out on offense.

The CoL doesn't charge. He can if he wants to, but he doesn't need to. Charging is for the lesser characters with no other options. A bit of charger is fine, but he needs to not be dependent on it. Really, PA + Wraithstrike + Lion's Charge is about as far as I want to go here.

I think that covers the guidelines. I might have forgotten something.
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
Re: A somewhat serious optimization topic. (Crusader of Logic)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 03:52:08 PM »
Rhino's rush too, double charge damage. Look at stuff like Divine power, Swift Haste, Elation and such too, they are perfect because you can get those as low level spells. I think Freedom of movement is a 1st level spell for Trapsmiths and Runescarred Berserkers get Righteous might as a 4th level one and Divine power as a 3rd level spell. Ownage.

Handy Links

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 04:07:39 PM »
Where are those three things? (Elation, Trapsmith, Runescarred Berserker)

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 04:14:40 PM »
Where are those three things? (Elation, Trapsmith, Runescarred Berserker)
Elation is a spell (BoED iirc), Trapsmith is a PrC (dungeonscape iirc), and runescarred berserker is a PrC (UE or OA iirc).
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 04:50:10 PM »
Trapsmith gets arcane sight, dispel magic, haste, and pro from energy as level 1 spells, dimension door and stoneskin as second level spells, and break enhancement, greater dispel, and wall of stone as 3rd level spells. No FoM there at all though. So it's very useful for some other stuff, just not this.

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 05:03:41 PM »
Indeed, FoM was not on the list. Wonder what I was thinking...

Handy Links