Author Topic: [Free/Cool] Earthbound, plus the new sequel!  (Read 1841 times)

Smudgy

• Curious George
[Free/Cool] Earthbound, plus the new sequel!
« on: September 07, 2008, 09:35:47 PM »
Being the Earthbound enthusiast that I am, I though I'd share this with you guys. This link sends you to a site where you can download a SNES emulator, and the game Earthbound. It's free, and it's safe as far as I've delved into it, which is quite far. Earthbound is one of the greatest games I've ever played. It's witty humor and the innuendo I never caught as a kid are fantastic. This game It's zany, it's weird, but most of all it's fun. There's not much else I can say about this game, it's really just something you have to play. Here's the link.

http://www.fantasyanime.com/legacy/earthb_down.htm

The emulator is simple enough, you don't have to know much about it to run Earthbound. Takes two seconds to download and run. The games controls are the arrow keys, along with the x and z keys. Really, the emulator system is easy to figure out. No knowledge of computers needed to run the basics.

Play it. Become enlightened. See Earthbound's greatness revealed before your very eyes!

Oh yeah, the site also has other games like Chrono Trigger and the earlier Final Fantasy games, but I just wanted to point out Earthbound specifically. Feel free to play the other ones too I suppose.

UPDATE:

The sequel to Earthbound has just recently been released. I suggest all Earthbound fans play it. Here's the link.

Now, this isn't for the SNES, so you'll need a different emulator. I'd suggest the VisualBoy Advance, it works the best. I had some trouble getting it to work, but there are plenty of how-to-install videos out there, if you have any difficulties, just search around.

The game itself (as far as I've gotten into it) is great. If you expect it to be just like Earthbound, you shouldn't. It's very similar in many aspects, but a lot of new features have been brought to the table. Needless to say, I absolutely love Earthbound, and so far I love this game too.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2008, 07:46:56 PM by Smudgyhandsman »

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: [Free/Cool] Earthbound, plus more classics!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 09:37:24 PM »
Hell YEAH! :D
Earthbound is amazing!
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Blade2718

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Un4given Ghosts Scenario Paintball
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:46:43 PM »
Wow, that's amazing...ever since I played SSB, I wanted to play Earthbound...and NOW I CAN!  G-fu for Smudgyhandsman!

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 12:34:47 AM »
Honors to Smudgyhandsman for finding this. Earthbound was fantastic, and when my hard drive crashed, I lost my emulator. I can now play it again.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 12:51:31 AM »
I am glad that I have been a help to you all! I've already played a good 10 hours of the game over the past 3 days. I can barely stop myself from not staying up all night to play it. Spread the word. Everyone should play this game. Mostly everyone whom I've shown it to can at least appreciate it, if not love it.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2008, 08:49:52 AM »
I know you lobbed me the link and the intro in passing, but what *is* Earthbound, exactly? It seems to be some kind of RPG set in the normal world?
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2008, 10:52:52 PM »
Earthbound is the story of a 17 year old kid who wakes up in the middle of the night by a meteorite hitting near his house. He is told by a space bug that he is destined to save the universe from Giygas, the universal evil of all that exists. You then go through a series of wacky adventures, ranging from fighting giant piles of barf to beating up policemen, to battling fire hydrants and evil taxis, I could go on for a long time. Not to mention the humor of the game. It's almost impossible to describe the humor in Earthbound, anyone else got a description? All I know is that it's hilarious and witty. Plus the photographer (see avatar) flies in from the sky at random moments and takes pictures of you, then just a suddenly zooms away. I don't want to say too much mor. I would never want to ruin someone's experience of playing this game.

Edit: It's not exactly the "real world" so to say, though it's very similar. The United States is known as Eagleland, Canada is called Winters. You don'y use any mystical swords or anything in usual RPGs. You beat enemies with bats and frying pans, or shoot them with pop guns and bazookas. Man, I can really ramble can't I? Just play it before I describe the whole damn game in my love for it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2008, 10:56:58 PM by Smudgyhandsman »

Schala_Zeal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 10:55:23 PM »
I'd mention the use of bizarre weaponry - baseball bats, yo-yos, frying pans, bazookas, laser guns, etc.

And the psychic powers.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 11:00:42 PM »
Right! Psychic powers, how silly of me to forget. You get psychic points you can spend to use basic things like Fire, Freeze, Thunder, Hypnosis, Healing, etc... But there are even funner things like Starstorm, Brainshock, Teleporting. It has variety, but not too much to be over expansive.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 11:11:00 PM »
ALIENS! :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Schala_Zeal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 10:22:13 PM »
And zombies - can't forget the zombies.  And the band!

So, they have Earthbound Zero there as well?  Is it any good?

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 11:22:47 PM »
You know, I've never played it. But I've heard it's very similar to Earthbound in many respects. I'll try it out once I finish re-beating Earthbound and let you know how it goes. Don't worry, I'm already finishing up Saturn Valley, and I've only been playing the game for three days. So it won't be long.  ;)

And are you referring to the Runaway Five? If so, then hells yes! Their performances are stunningly spectacular, just as I remember them.