Author Topic: PrCs that look fun, but are a bit... lacking  (Read 19166 times)

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
Re: PrCs that look fun, but are a bit... lacking
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2008, 07:29:11 PM »
Pragmaticism often runs counter to goodness though. :P
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

AstralFire

• Bi-Curious George
  • Up the Ante
    • The Anteheroes
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2008, 07:32:58 PM »
Pragmaticism often runs counter to goodness though. :P

I can't deny that. I've never minded a -little- bit of ends justify the means, but only sometimes. The LG character's problem is that they basically have to angst over it terribly since either their L or their G (or both) sides will be appalled.

The CG guy goes "hey, in this case I did what I thought would save the most lives and leave the world the brightest possible" and might be pissed off, but not quite as much of the existential crisis.

The Discussion Thread - Help!
Current Project: The Anteheroes System: 2nd Edition, a quick and tactical modern fantasy system.

Better to be stupid and humble than smart and arrogant. A humble man can change and improve. An arrogant man won't.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2008, 07:34:15 PM »
The CG guy goes "hey, in this case I did what I thought would save the most lives and leave the world the brightest possible" and might be pissed off, but not quite as much of the existential crisis.

I don't why a LG couldn't do this as well.

AstralFire

• Bi-Curious George
  • Up the Ante
    • The Anteheroes
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2008, 07:36:15 PM »

I don't why a LG couldn't do this as well.

They could, they could. It'd just be harder for them to do it, basically, since L and G are self-reinforcing much more than C and G. LG is more habitually required to withhold from 'greater gooding' because of the slippery slope of breaking their code, and most codes aren't really well-spelled out on that front (because it is hard to say when greater good really IS good.) CG can more easily handwave about intuition and stuff.

Current Project: The Anteheroes System: 2nd Edition, a quick and tactical modern fantasy system.

Better to be stupid and humble than smart and arrogant. A humble man can change and improve. An arrogant man won't.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2008, 07:37:48 PM »
Or they could just have an easier time doing it, since they have their code to hide behind.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2008, 07:48:54 PM »
DnD defines LG as following traditions and a code, but they never said that it cannot be your own moral code. Chaotic has been variously described as Robin Hood (who actually do have his own moral code) or flightly as a fey (which RH is definitely not).

In other words, even the writers of the alignments don't know what they are talking about and contradict themselves many times on it. However, personally, I'd put RH (as portrayed in the stories and movies) as LG, and flightly as chaotic. I'd go so far as to say that most Good aligned people would be LG simply because doing good most of the time requires discipline, restraint and subscription to a code of conduct, personal or otherwise. Flighty (Chaotic) Good would be akin to Kiki (see sluggy.com), kind-hearted but "Ohhh! Shiny!"

AstralFire

• Bi-Curious George
  • Up the Ante
    • The Anteheroes
« Reply #86 on: September 25, 2008, 07:50:29 PM »
Chaotic has been said to also follow your own moral code.

We're starting to enter into "why I dislike the Law and Chaos part of the alignment axis and I really don't mind Good and Evil" territory though.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #87 on: September 25, 2008, 08:04:11 PM »
Chaotic has been said to also follow your own moral code.
I know. That is why I said the writers contradict themselves.

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2008, 04:11:14 PM »
The Exorcist of the Silver Flame. In theory, all those abilities sounds nice, but they can be easily replaced.

Enlighted Fist: An unarmed gish is better without this than with it.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2008, 04:18:24 PM »
Well the Silver Flame is about to get their comeuppance anyways. So who cares?

~Evil Shapeshifter.

And don't forget:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: October 05, 2008, 04:19:14 PM »

~Evil Shapeshifter.

I have no idea what a comeuppance is.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #91 on: October 05, 2008, 04:20:36 PM »

~Evil Shapeshifter.

I have no idea what a comeuppance is.

It means they get owned. :D

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

GawainBS

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: October 05, 2008, 04:22:08 PM »
See, if you speak real English, everybody understands you. :P

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #93 on: October 05, 2008, 05:06:26 PM »
No hate for the Pale Master here?  It's not the world's worst, but I don't recall seeing it min/maxed since, um, ever.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #94 on: October 05, 2008, 05:10:17 PM »
See, if you speak real English, everybody understands you. :P

:lol

And don't forget:

[spoiler]

[/spoiler]

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #95 on: October 05, 2008, 05:50:01 PM »
Mainly because the Pale Master is incomplete.

CountArioch

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • I <3 termites
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2008, 02:09:23 AM »
No hate for the Pale Master here?  It's not the world's worst, but I don't recall seeing it min/maxed since, um, ever.

Well, you do get free animate dead once a day.  And as Frank and K says, they "get to punch people in the face so hard that they join your army of the dead free of charge (and without limit)."

The class isn't that great, but it does have some uses.  The undead armor is a crap ability, since it's not that hard to wear armor and avoid ASF for free anyway.
She hasn't come to crush your bones, nor tear your flesh
She has come to steal your sanity with just one glance

Sacrapos - At First Glance, Eluveitie

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2008, 02:30:40 AM »
Palemaster is a fine PrC.  Not overpowered, but decent.  The free animation of undead ability is something a lot of Dread Necromancers and other Necromancers will gladly dip for, and after you have that you might as well stay in the class.

JaronK

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2008, 11:17:59 AM »
Palemaster is a fine PrC.  Not overpowered, but decent.  The free animation of undead ability is something a lot of Dread Necromancers and other Necromancers will gladly dip for, and after you have that you might as well stay in the class.

JaronK

It just has the deadest level ever, that first level when you enter the class.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

JaronK

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #99 on: October 06, 2008, 04:46:43 PM »
Yeah, but that makes it a choice as to whether to enter, as opposed to an automatic "heck yeah!"

JaronK