Author Topic: 3.5 Gestalt Eberron- brewed midlevel-casting limit-- checking interest  (Read 16333 times)

fil kearney

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • KILLFEAR.COM
    • Email
Re: 3.5 Gestalt Eberron- brewed midlevel-casting limit-- checking interest
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2008, 02:10:48 PM »
omen was right about the warforged feats... mostly just armor or anything lspecifically concerning the construct bit.
I see no issue with ddealing energy damage as a non warforged.

Look at my last post... there is a link to the gam wiki there.  Go ahead and click through and request access.

I don't see a need to modify devoted spirit.
exp. dodge is dodge for prereqs.

For TEMPLATES use the assigned LA, not CR+1
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:16:37 PM by fil kearney »

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2008, 02:25:06 PM »
Look at my last post... there is a link to the gam wiki there.  Go ahead and click through and request access.

Where do you request access? Far as I can see we need the Invite Key to log in. A own wiki is great, now I can just use OpenOffice Calc sheets to make my char. Mythweavers is kind of troublesome when you use nonstandard stats for skillmodifiers.
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #82 on: September 11, 2008, 02:29:46 PM »
I signed up on the wiki. Do we really have to do up to level 20 builds ? I prefer to let my characters evolve along the way - and since you allow rebuilding it is easy to change one's mind.

@amalcon: you are aware that spells and rage don't mix, right ? Though I heard there's a Dragon Magazine feat that helps.

@Alis: create an account, confirm it. Then sign in and on the main page on the right you can request to join a wiki.

@Avalon: now that I think about it, consider a Bloodline to cast higher-level spells into the Weave - it has fun effects on Initiator Level so it's not too detrimental on that side of the progression. Possibly a refluffed Spellguard of Silverymoon to cast personal spell as Touch ones.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 02:34:35 PM by Omen of Peace »
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

fil kearney

• KILLFEAR.COM
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: September 11, 2008, 02:54:21 PM »
nah, omen.  You don't have to, but note specifically that you aren't.

I use the builds to know where you are heading, what you look to acquire, and keep an eye on future balance.

so don't stress over it.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #84 on: September 11, 2008, 03:07:30 PM »
I'm not stressing at all. :) I will point out possible classes/feats I might take in the future.

My nick is also Omen of Peace on the wiki - tell me if you need anything more. I think I requested access the proper way but maybe I misunderstood.

oh, and thanks for unlocking my own mind ! I knew I had something in mind when I chose eagle wings but I couldn't put my finger on it.  :facepalm Sphinxes, of course. Now to make it interesting...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 03:09:02 PM by Omen of Peace »

fil kearney

• KILLFEAR.COM
    • Email
« Reply #85 on: September 11, 2008, 04:27:50 PM »
I haven't seen the request.

Everyone drop me a PM with your email, and I'll have the system send you access.

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #86 on: September 11, 2008, 05:00:48 PM »
Are there any deity`s with the War domain and Kukri`s as favored weapon? Or would I be allowed to change the favored weapon of some backwater deity to Kukri?  :P
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

amalcon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #87 on: September 11, 2008, 06:22:00 PM »
@amalcon: you are aware that spells and rage don't mix, right ? Though I heard there's a Dragon Magazine feat that helps.
Yeah, spells and rage don't mix.  Fortunately, it's the druid list:  There are plenty of buffs and utility spells that can be cast before raging, outside combat, or what have you -- especially at spell levels 0-6.  I doubt it'll be that hard to manage.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #88 on: September 11, 2008, 07:58:55 PM »
1) Will languages be enforced ? I'm considering taking Master Linguist (RoE) as a feat - but there a few things that I dislike more than a fluff feat that turns out to be completely useless. (the exaggeration is voluntary ;))

2) Are we using Action Points ? Just curious.

3) Is Knowledge: psionics the same as K: arcane due to super-transparency ?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:44:47 AM by Omen of Peace »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2008, 01:10:36 AM »
I'm going to have to withdraw my bid, as I won't have proper access to my resources or the internet until later on Saturday afternoon, and plus, it sounds like you guys know a lot more of what you're doing anyway. I've got no idea what would be best for a character to fill in the party, and would be better suited to just making a character I'd think would be fun to play.

I'm going to hold out for a gestalt game where I can play a Dread-necro/etc/etc seige-leader, aka, high DR/AC/HP with my own little army available to form a wall between enemies and my party while I drain away at them. And the best part would be that I wouldn't have to be evil to do it. \o/

Anyway, I'll watch the game as it progresses anyway, because it looks like you guys are gonna have fun. :)

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #90 on: September 12, 2008, 06:50:52 AM »
Is a Fire Mage//Marshall both from Frank K tomes complicated enough?  ;)
I am no good in the X1Y3Z2W2G6//blahblahblah stuff, so best to keep ik simple and try not to be in the frostline when the blows are being dealt :P
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

fil kearney

• KILLFEAR.COM
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2008, 11:07:46 AM »
1) Will languages be enforced ? I'm considering taking Master Linguist (RoE) as a feat - but there a few things that I dislike more than a fluff feat that turns out to be completely useless. (the exaggeration is voluntary ;))

2) Are we using Action Points ? Just curious.

3) Is Knowledge: psionics the same as K: arcane due to super-transparency ?

1. language is enforced.
2. no. 
3. for prc prereqs, psi can sub for arcane stuff and vice versa with my approval/shwingdinging.
but psi arcane religion remain separate knowledge checks.

good questions!

regarding favored weapons.. pick a philosophy, give yourself avored wapon with kukri, alis.

Venn:  thanks for dropping by!  yer dread necro dreams will be better fulfilled elsewhere.  its true.  Let me know when you find the right game (yer welcome to check www.dndonlinegames.com)

ien....
complicated builds aren't necesary if what you do gets done in a single class. :)
it's like a kitchen... baking a pie requires a lot more ingrediants than just enjoying a great apple.  flavor to taste.

Not sure how F&K interact with firemage and marshall... sounds like they are modified... but I'm away from resources, so I can't verify.
as written..
1. marshal is horribly underpowered.  I'd have to fuse it with either crusader or warblade to make it worth a damn, depending on your build. 
man, i could swari saw a decent rewrite of marshal.
2. full casters are limited to 6th level spells, so you'd have to either take reduced casting level prc's (woot! a way to make them viable!) until epic levels, or mix in other classes that wont advance your casting for that particular class 
for instance, beguiler12/sorceror8//xyz20

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2008, 11:17:08 AM »
ien....
complicated builds aren't necesary if what you do gets done in a single class. :)
it's like a kitchen... baking a pie requires a lot more ingrediants than just enjoying a great apple.  flavor to taste.

Not sure how F&K interact with firemage and marshall... sounds like they are modified... but I'm away from resources, so I can't verify.
as written..
1. marshal is horribly underpowered.  I'd have to fuse it with either crusader or warblade to make it worth a damn, depending on your build. 
man, i could swari saw a decent rewrite of marshal.
2. full casters are limited to 6th level spells, so you'd have to either take reduced casting level prc's (woot! a way to make them viable!) until epic levels, or mix in other classes that wont advance your casting for that particular class 
for instance, beguiler12/sorceror8//xyz20
1. Frank &K have their own Marshall class rewritten, but it doesnt have the full 20 levels; only 12 iirc...
2. The Fire Mage doesn't have spells, but only several spell like abilities, therefore I will not have to deal with preparing and maintaining spells, or be afraid to have the ability to cast higher than 7th level spells.

Please review them when you have the time and let me know. I am away for the weekend, so sunday night I will be able to response at the soonest.
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2008, 12:16:50 PM »
Great to see that you changed your mind. We need good players.  :D

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #94 on: September 12, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »
They only go to level 15 (FM) or 12 (Marshall). Where would you go afterwards ?
- The Fire Mage seems ok.
- The Marshal seems over-the-top to me. Not balance-wise (but see below), more like what it does and how it's described. Delaying Glare ? Massive Presence (you grow one size and start to emit light) ?!? Seems tongue-in-cheek to me.

Beyond this, I'll note that Battle Shout won't stack with Inspire Courage.

Then there's the power level of the Tomes - generally that of a mildly optimized full spellcaster. It may not be a problem at all, it's just something to keep in mind.

---
@fil: as an appendix to my previous question, are we using all the weird Eberron-specific languages (ECS p47) ? They come in part from the Eberron cosmology.
Thanks for your patience with my endless questions. :) Nope, I'm still not done.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:28:02 PM by Omen of Peace »

VennDygrem

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #95 on: September 12, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
Venn:  thanks for dropping by!  yer dread necro dreams will be better fulfilled elsewhere.  its true.  Let me know when you find the right game (yer welcome to check www.dndonlinegames.com)

It really seems like it works better on paper anyway, or in my head, and I'd probably never actually play it. XD

Why, what a warm and welcoming person you are. :D

AvalonŽ

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #96 on: September 12, 2008, 01:43:30 PM »
@Avalon: now that I think about it, consider a Bloodline to cast higher-level spells into the Weave - it has fun effects on Initiator Level so it's not too detrimental on that side of the progression. Possibly a refluffed Spellguard of Silverymoon to cast personal spell as Touch ones.

@Omen: I don't think I can fit in a bloodline or the Spellguard of Silverymoon. I'm already feat-tight with this build and the additional feats needed for the Spellguard would make things more complicated.

Aside from that, how about we work on a backstory?

@fil kearney: Since the Shocking Fist feat channels electricity to a warforged's fist (specifically a slam attack), how would it interact if I take the feat as say a human?
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 01:47:58 PM by AvalonŽ »

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2008, 02:03:13 PM »
Why, what a warm and welcoming person you are. :D
Hmm, I'm not sure I got that exchange. Was Alis really talking to you ?
Anyway, feel free to come back with a character if you find something that tickles your fancy. :) If you need help with the nitty-gritty that's what the Min/Max forum is for.

@Avalon: no problem. I always suggest stuff but everyone should feel free to ignore me. Bloodlines actually grant some feats, FWIW.

Work on the backstory is already underway on the wiki.

AvalonŽ

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2008, 02:23:13 PM »
@fil:

How would we know who else aside from Omen and AlisAtAn will make it?

fil kearney

• KILLFEAR.COM
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: September 12, 2008, 02:44:53 PM »
*sigh*
that is a real good question, avalon.

I should know by now how this works.
what I INTENDED was for folks to come together, say something like,
"I'll play a tank"
"I'll play a skirmisher"
"I"ll do something with incarnate"
"I'll do factutum stuff"
"I'll do the wizard+something, since we're nerfing wizard. :p)
"I'm interested in a ranged blah d blah"
and then see which of you could put together a decent background, mutual story, and some thoughts about what you would want to do in the actual game....

But instead, everyone is grinding builds.  In all seriousness, I don't give a crap about your build, as long as it balances in the end with the rest of the team.  I think that is the easy part.
Yeah, I gave omen and alis two seats simply because they camped here and spammed me into thinking they are REALLY interested, but I think we have more casual interest than actual seats.

Here's the wiki
http://co-gestalt-eberron.pbwiki.com/
Here's the discussion about plot and background
http://co-gestalt-eberron.pbwiki.com/Background+Thinktank

Some of you have requested access.  if you haven't yet, PM me your email and I'll send you an invite.
At this point, I'll let anyone who wants into the wiki to hold a better conversation than what we have here. I'll drop access from those who don't make first cut.

I've got some preliminary ideas up, Omen is offering counterpoints, and no one else has weighed in. 
If you want in, go and make a contribution.