Author Topic: Game Console Showdown  (Read 10617 times)

jcm

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • I am information man
Re: Game Console Showdown
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2008, 08:32:19 PM »
My recommendation: PC & a DS.  Mass Effect, Starcraft 2, and damn near every puzzle game ever conceived by man.

Seconded. I had the major last generation console (xbox, ps2, gamecube) and I found myself playing my gba more than all 3 combined simply for the puzzle games. And now I've got a DS for the exact same reason, saved myself a couple thousand bucks and get games I'll actually play.

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2008, 09:18:42 PM »
I like the Wii, but I may be prejudiced in that regard. Backwards compatability with Gamecube games (and download services for older games) is very attractive.

I just wish Nintendo hadn't blown off a large portion of their fanbase.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2008, 10:32:39 PM »

I really have a problem with that statement.

Within less than 2 years Nintendo has made for the Wii a Zelda game, a true Mario game, a Metroid game, 2 Wario games (one of them being a 2-D platformer at that), a Super Smash Bros game, a Fire Emblem game, a Mario Kart game, and they're about to come out with an Animal Crossing game. How have they not tried to please their fanbase especially in comparison to the N64 and Gamecube days?

I think it's just butthurt 'hardcore' gamers upset that Nintendo isn't exclusively catering to them anymore and Nintendo is being very sucessful with their new strategy.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2008, 10:40:37 PM »
Only Geeks and "otaku" want extra storage on the Wii?  Is this what you're talking about Bozwevial?

Bozwevial

• Organ Grinder
  • Developing a relaxed attitude to danger.
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2008, 11:24:09 PM »

I really have a problem with that statement.

Within less than 2 years Nintendo has made for the Wii a Zelda game, a true Mario game, a Metroid game, 2 Wario games (one of them being a 2-D platformer at that), a Super Smash Bros game, a Fire Emblem game, a Mario Kart game, and they're about to come out with an Animal Crossing game. How have they not tried to please their fanbase especially in comparison to the N64 and Gamecube days?

I think it's just butthurt 'hardcore' gamers upset that Nintendo isn't exclusively catering to them anymore and Nintendo is being very sucessful with their new strategy.

I may have been a little out of line there.

I'm referring to this: http://www.joystiq.com/2008/07/18/miyamoto-says-nintendo-not-targeting-core-with-e3/

I'm not going to pretend that Wii owners have it bad, but I'm inclined to think that they have to wait longer between the better releases than, say, the 360/PS3 owners. Couple that with the above announcement, and I'm not overly optimistic about the future. I'm perfectly fine with the casual gamers, but does Nintendo really have to make E3 exclusive to the casual gamers? Granted, E3 isn't turning out to be too wonderful nowadays.

I did just get TFU, though. We'll see if that's any good on the Wii.

PhoenixInferno: I hadn't seen that until now. That's probably more someone's offhand comment than anything else.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2008, 06:36:01 AM »
As for the Geeks and Otaku, they're probably right.  This actually came up while I was in a GameStop, and one of the clerks there told me that the Wii basically has enough memory to download the entire library of games currently offered on the Virtual Console.  That was right around when WiiWare came out, though, so the figures may have changed slightly.  In that case, buy a damn SD card.  Don't say you can't afford it, either.

As for the "not speaking to hardcore gamers" part, I'd like to blame the "hardcore" gamers for that one.  Nintendo releases a game, the "hardcore" fanbase complains, loudly, that it's too easy or "dumbed down," and give Nintendo bad rep.  I'd ignore them, too (well, I'd actually call them a bunch of whiny 20-year olds that can't wean themselves off their mom's tits, but that would really be bad for business).

Besides, we all know that the hardcore gamers are still going to bend over for Nintendo once LucasArts releases a game for the Wii.

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2008, 07:02:49 PM »
E3 is a shell of it's former self and I can see why Nintendo didn't really feel like making any big announcements there. Nintendo's policy has always been to wait until they are close to releasing the game and happy with it before offically announcing the game so that's why you don't hear a whole lot about upcoming Nintendo games, that way you don't get the Too Humans and Duke Nukem 4Evers for Nintendo or you don't get heavily hyped games that end up dissapointing like Kane and Lynch and Assassin's Creed. Shiggy did announce Pikmin 3 after E3 so that'll probably be out in early 2009.

If anything the problem with the video game industry from 1995-2005 was that it catered too much to the hardcore gamer at the expense of the casual gamer. Then in 2005 Nintendo had huge hits with 'casual' games like Brain Age and Nintendogs, saw the light, and is enjoying the most sucess they've had since the NES days. If Nintendo listened to the 'hardcore' gamers they'd proably be in 3rd place again.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2008, 02:50:07 PM »
Does the Xbox actually offer anything unique and worthwhile? The original only came close with Halo which is also on the PC, so why bother? Did the new one actually think far enough ahead to provide incentive to sell systems?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2008, 05:11:37 PM »
All the best-selling X-Box games always get ported to PCs about a year or two later.  The point to playing them on the X-Box is to play them when they first come out and with the controller.

Sunic_Flames

• Organ Grinder
  • The Crusader of Logic.
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2008, 06:07:25 PM »
All the best-selling X-Box games always get ported to PCs about a year or two later.  The point to playing them on the X-Box is to play them when they first come out and with the controller.

Except can't you connect those controllers to a computer via USB?
Smiting Imbeciles since 1985.

If you hear this music, run.

And don't forget:

There is no greater contribution than Hi Welcome.

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

IP proofing and avoiding being CAPed OR - how to make characters relevant in the long term.

Friends don't let friends be Short Bus Hobos.

[spoiler]
Sunic may be more abrasive than sandpaper coated in chainsaws (not that its a bad thing, he really does know what he's talking about), but just posting in this thread without warning and telling him he's an asshole which, if you knew his past experiences on WotC and Paizo is flat-out uncalled for. Never mind the insults (which are clearly 4Chan-level childish). You say people like Sunic are the bane of the internet? Try looking at your own post and telling me you are better than him.

Here's a fun fact: You aren't. By a few leagues.
[/spoiler]

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #30 on: September 25, 2008, 10:28:30 PM »
Even if X360 games wind up being ported to PC eventually, I'd still rather play it on the X360 because at least I don't have to check for system requirements.

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 07:35:27 AM »
Except can't you connect those controllers to a computer via USB?
Haven't heard about that, honestly.
Even if X360 games wind up being ported to PC eventually, I'd still rather play it on the X360 because at least I don't have to check for system requirements.
This is true.  If you don't want to bother with system upgrades and aren't particularly interested in PC exclusives, the XBox "Pro" that was recently released for $300 is a good deal.

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2008, 12:57:03 AM »
Personally? I like the PS3.

Don't get me wrong. I got nothing against the XBOX (in spite of my hatred towards Microsoft) or the Wii (my first console, EVER, was a Nintendo).

As far as RPGs go, I'm inclined to believe the PS3 will have a better library. In fact, when it comes to this generation's console war, each major company placed their chips on one thing.

Microsoft: Online Playing. Multiplayer games are a major forte for the XBOX.
Nintendo: Interactivity. The Wii controller is just plain awesome, at the very least for what it's made (you MIGHT tire out if you're not a casual gamer, though. A friend of mine owns one, and he almost had to have surgery on his arm because he played his Wii too much).
Sony: the library, mostly. Why do you think they rushed ahead to get exclusivity on MGS4?
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2008, 05:10:38 AM »
Sony: the library, mostly. Why do you think they rushed ahead to get exclusivity on MGS4?
MGS4 is seriously the only good quality exclusive title for the PS3, and even then it's niche.

If by RPGs you mean Final Fantasy, FFXIII will come out on the 360.  If by RPGs you mean actual, quality RPGs, then the 360 already has a number of quality titles, some of which the PS3 didn't get.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2008, 05:17:49 AM »
If by RPGs you mean Final Fantasy, FFXIII will come out on the 360.  If by RPGs you mean actual, quality RPGs, then the 360 already has a number of quality titles, some of which the PS3 didn't get.
Eh...eh...

No.  Not REALLY.  Blue Dragon wasn't great.  I'm told Lost Odyssey wasn't that great, although I didn't play it myself.  Not sure what other JRPGs are coming out, but Mass Effect was great and Fallout 3 could be super-duper.  X360/PC exclusive.

EDIT: Oops, Fallout 3 does also come out on PS3.  Although one review describes that version as "shockingly inferior".
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 03:33:11 PM by PhoenixInferno »

Kuroimaken

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2008, 12:03:23 PM »
MGS4 is seriously the only good quality exclusive title for the PS3, and even then it's niche.

Niche? I think it's fun for anyone in the family over 16 (or anyone who just so happens to be a war movie buff).

As for what's coming in terms of RPGs: pretty much every Nippon Ichi title from here on is gonna be PS3-exclusive. That alone would give me serious bias towards the PS3, because Nippon Ichi rules. That might be just me, though.
Gendou Ikari is basically Gregory House in Kaminashades. This is FACT.

For proof, look here:

http://www.layoutjelly.com/image_27/gendo_ikari/

[SPOILER]
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7
My Unitarian Jihad Name is: Brother Katana of Enlightenment.
Get yours.[/SPOILER]

I HAVE BROKEN THE 69 INTERNETS BARRIER!

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2008, 03:15:59 PM »
What are JRPG's, Phoenix?  First I've come across that acronym.

I'm kinda interested in this discussion, as I'm thinking about getting a console finally.  Is it better to get the "Elite" Xbox, or get the "Pro" and spend the extra $100 on a game and a half?

If there is any ONE game to get on the 360 or PS3, what would it be, and why?  (I'm an RPG'er, but I like just about anything that'll keep me entertained for 20+ hours.)
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2008, 03:33:58 PM »
What are JRPG's, Phoenix?  First I've come across that acronym.
Japanese RPGs - a dying genre.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2008, 04:05:47 PM »
Okay, I might amuse myself a bit and buy Wii by the end of the year, but I wonder if it is worth it. So what's your experience? I am a hardcore Nintendo fan, I still own two NES consoles, a SNES and 64, but never got a GameCube. So should I or should I not?

Handy Links

Darius Stronghand

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Professor Oak can effin' Die
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2008, 05:37:29 PM »
It depends on what you already have.

I never owned a system prior to the N64.  I picked up a Wii about a year ago, and now find myself playing a bunch of the older games, either via Virtual Console, or Gamecube remakes.  (I picked up the Megaman Anniversary collection, and am going through MM 1-8 right now.)  Truthfully, I use it more as a Virtual Console / Gamecube than I do for actual Wii games.  If you've got a healthy supply of working NES and SNES titles, and don't have many other titles you don't own, but would like to play, then it may not be worth it to you to snag a Wii.

Or maybe they'll finally make that one awesome swordfighting game, and put this argument to rest. 

As far as clerics go... he's gonna be the very best, like no one ever was