Author Topic: Ymdaith chan 'r Farw  (Read 61690 times)

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
Ymdaith chan 'r Farw
« on: September 06, 2008, 12:46:56 PM »
There are few things more frightening to the idea of man than a great desert, one that bounds and swallows their city and their civilization. Trapped here within a single city on an oasis, the minds of men have turned inwards, unable to penetrate the great sands that border their lands. There are those few who disappear out into the wastes each year, unable to live within the confines of a narrow and rigid society. It is assumed they are deceased, for nothing is known to live outside of the realm of the oasis, despite the howling winds in the night that bring a stench of things foul, yet living.

At each red moon, a new group is assembled to send out into the wilderness. Ostensibly it is to explore, but those who go know they go to die, to perish in the lands beyond the green waters of home, for home can only support a certain count of souls, and each soul beyond is a burden that shall be removed. Thus it is that you are selected, an unwilling 'volunteer' for
Ymdaith chan 'r Farw. It is the Journey into Death, a trip out into the wastelands. With you goes some of the wealth of populace, a tomb gift that is meant to ease your passage into the afterlife. None leaves the city a pauper, and sometimes it is those who have the least who truly volunteer for this, for they have nothing else left in life.

You stand assembled at the gates of the city, a party of six men, clothed in robes for the desert beyond and laden with two weeks worth of food, plus whatever you have chosen to bring with you. Those few surviving family members have chosen to stay away, for this is a day that they do not wish to see, the long, slow, death of their loved ones. A priest speaks words of of benediction and prayer over the grouping, his cassock black, as befits a funeral. Those who preside over the ceremony lower their hands, and the great gates that hold out the desert swing wide, tracing their edges in the sand. With a solemn gesture, he beckons you to step beyond.

The sun lies low over the horizon as you stare out into the trackless wastes, and night will fall soon. What is it that lies out in these forbidding dunes and rocky hills? No one knows, and yet that is where you go, a journey into the unknown. Your tales begin here.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
Re: Ymdaith chan 'r Farw
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 01:14:17 PM »
Odin growls at the priest as he approaches. Save your curses for someone who belives. He mumbles in crude common with a raw voice forever scarred by long time dehydration.

And, as an afterthought, to his partymembers: Save your water and dont take a piss unless you have to. If anyone wastes there own water, they sure as hell wont be getting any from me. If you cant keep up with the rest, you will die. We move at night and sleep under cover in the day. If anything moves that isnt one of us, let me know. Its either going to poison you or swallow you whole. If we dont eat it first, that is. Ahhh. dont look so sad for leaving this place... I was getting tired of it anyway. And with that, he picks his nose and takes the first step into no mans land.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 02:25:59 PM by AlisAtAn »
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2008, 03:27:08 PM »
Iamde Ath knows why he has been chosen to venture into the unknown and die a horrible death. He is death embodied and is the only hope of the people of the oasis of someone actually making it across the desert. His party members are but an aid in his great embarkement and will only slow him down once water and food run out.

Here he is now, ready to meet his destiny and none came to see him off. But this is not the last they will hear of the 'Thinking Dead' they have named him... No, the desert is only the beginning.

Resolutely he starts his journey into the desert.
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2008, 05:22:15 PM »
Jibt hacked up a dusty glob of phlegm and saliva and spat it into the dirt. He shifted his gaze around at the other members of this poor expedition. Certainly an odd gathering, but that didn't really matter. Jibt was just excited to out of the city. No more collecting bones from dogs an beggars for Jibt! He would miss his old job, but there was no going back now. The goblin shifted his odd little headdress and ventured out into the quickly cooling desert, stepping easily through the shifting sand.

Llochlyn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2008, 04:00:17 PM »
- At night we move, and we will be swift. Our striding will be fast, trust the Traveller. He waited for this day to come, trust him, with impatience. He will be the first to see what's beyond the sand, and if you're lucky, you'll be there with him.

For years, that boy called himself "The Traveller" and went for short trips through the desert. He always came back after a few days. Now, there's no turning back.

- Seriously though, let's move out of sight and set up until nightfall.

Schala_Zeal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2008, 09:57:37 PM »
The raptoran Silesia Otherion examined the last sight he would see from inside the city.  He would be glad to be gone from this place, where he felt no peace, but he was interested to see what skills his companions possessed.  Perhaps it would have been better to have left on his own, to experience the wastes on his own.  But he felt drawn to this moment, for one last look at the city before he left forever.

He wondered at the approach his companions would take to the desert.  And how long it would be before he succumbed.  But he would offer what services he could to his companions before that time came.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2008, 11:21:54 AM »
Each of the party marked their departure from the city in their own way, some with curses, some with a last long look, but each also had reason to be gone, to wish they were stepping out into a better, freer life than the one they had possessed in the time in the city. All had skills of various and strange forms, and it was their hope that survival would be possible, rather than so many that had died out here in the burning sands, their bones littering the wastes and the bellies of those few creatures who survived.

It was an odd group of men and creatures that strode over the hill into a quiet dell in the sands, sliding out of sight of the city, a conference as to where they should go. he sun beat down with the last rays of the day, and soon night would be upon them, the time in which any traveller knew to move across the desert. A crossroad had been reached, and the roads from it were as numerous as the sands on which they stood.

Immediately to their south bulked the great city and oasis, a wall across their path in that direction, and one that would take many days to walk around. The walls lay forbidding, threatening death to any of them who dared to re-enter. In all other directions, the sands lay, and from their current vantage point, no features marked any direction. The only thing of note was the wind, coming down out of the setting sun, a breeze of hot, dry air. This was an empty wasteland, and now those upon the
Ymdaith chan 'r Farw must decide in which way they wished to travel.

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2008, 11:29:13 AM »
North looks as good as any other way. Lets go north. Odin says and starts walking without waiting for an answer, taking a sip from one of his waterskins.
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2008, 01:49:53 PM »
Iamde carefully watched the movements of his beloved Lavres, his undead desert-cat companion. He spoke a few words, which to bystanders might have seen as a madman talking to the desert, but Iamde knew Lavres had a primal understanding of his words. Slowly but steadily Lavres moved in the Northern direction, indicating that this was the way to go. With a loving stroke on Lavres' back, Iamde followed Odin onto the path to the North.

Llochlyn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2008, 08:53:49 PM »
The Traveller steps lightly on the sand, despite his heavy heatsuit.

North it is. Walk until all you can see is sand, then shade up the camp until night. We think our plan all the way through, don't we ?

Schala_Zeal

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2008, 08:59:56 PM »
Silesia nods once and follows, glad that he will be spending no more time within sight of the city.

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2008, 09:22:08 PM »
Jibt glanced around at the arid desert surrounding him. 'North seems as good as any way,' he grumbled as he trod after his companions. As he walked, he pulled out a trail bar as well as his trusted mug. Activating it, the mug swirled and swiftly filled with water, which he then periodically drank from along with his nibbling on his tasteless bar.

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2008, 09:43:44 PM »
Odin is on a constant lookout for anything edible *ahem* dangerous, as well as any signs of something NOT sand. He`s also making sure the party go in a straight line as much as possible, to keep them from going in huge circles for ever.

Whispering in Jibt`s ear: Why did we have to bring a dead`er? Huh? I hate dead`ers. You cant kill em, can you? Or eat it for that matter. Whats they good for? Hate it. *Stares suspiciously at Iamde*

Survival to keep going straigth north. (1d20 5=15)

Yup. I was bored.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2008, 09:50:30 PM »
The group trudge to the north as the city recedes behind them into the distance. When only the highest points upon the walls can be seen, the setting sun finally settles below the horizon, letting darkness settle over the land. That merely marks the beginning of their journey, for they march all through the night, a long and hard trudge through the slowing sands of the desert. The pace they make will cost them many days in the desert, although if they stick to the dry cool of night, perhaps the water will last out.

The sun creeps over the horizon on the eastern edge of their sight, marking the end of their first day out in the wilderness. Shelter becomes all important, before the heat of the day saps them of their energy and supplies. A dry river wadi becomes an impromptu shelter, and huddled under blankets they rest through the day, a slightly haphazard group tucked in amongst the shadows cast by the sandy sides.

This pattern repeats for many days, during which they trudge in a north-easterly direction, moving during the night and hiding in sand pits and little crevasses during the day. It is a dull, meaningless existence, with no features to mark the terrain or even to liven the eyes of those poor creatures forced to survive within it.

On the dawn of the ninth day, there is finally a new sight for eyes sore and scratchy. To the north-east, cliffs have appeared from the sand. Rocky and harsh, from this distance they appear to offer little hope of succor.

[spoiler]For those carrying water, knock off 9 gallons of the supplies being carried (1 Gallon/day is considered minimal). Those who do not have enough to drink should treat with those party members who do, for otherwise dehydration and danger sets in.[/spoiler]

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2008, 09:57:57 PM »
Odin is not sharing his water. Anyone feeling like buying it of him can make him an offer. And he`s chaotic evil, so yes he can do that.

Quote from: Stratovarius

For those carrying water, knock off 9 gallons of the supplies being carried (1 Gallon/day is considered minimal). Those who do not have enough to drink should treat with those party members who do, for otherwise dehydration and danger sets in.

Thats awesome. Kinda the opposite of Robin Hood, dont you think? x)

Llochlyn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 09:59:20 PM »
OOC: The Traveller uses Time Lapse during night travel, to condensate hours of travel in one mere round. One hour of travel takes exactly 1 round + 10 minutes meditation to regain Time Lapse. Frequent potty breaks. Still, fatigue accumulates normally, so those 81 minutes are as tiresome as eight hours of solid walking.

Also, about water, The Traveller has a distillation kit (from sandstorm), wich allows to, erm, recycle used waters. Gross but life saving !

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 10:01:05 PM »
Are you wearing it? Because you`re sweating most of the water, not pissing it.  :lol

Looking at the party, Odin says: I see some different terrain over there. Looks like rocks and cliffs. Anything is an improvement on this desert that only slows us down. I say we see what it has to offer. Odin shifts the direction directly towards the rocky waste.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 10:17:38 PM by AlisAtAn »

Llochlyn

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2008, 11:10:13 AM »
OOC : not wearing it no, it's a kit. Anyone in the party can use it to save some drops of water this way. The distillation suit exists, costs 1000gp and loathed by our dear DM though !

See, the sayings were wrong, there is something beyond the sand.

AlisAtAn

• Email
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2008, 11:52:33 AM »
Course there is. I had to come from somewhere, now didnt I? Odin mumbles to himself.

EDIT:
Info for the DM:
[spoiler]I have 5 days food rations and 11 days water left. And Endurance. [/spoiler]
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 12:21:51 PM by AlisAtAn »

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2008, 08:15:31 AM »
there seems to be something indeed... But beware, for these rocks may be days travel away; the desert skews one's perception!

Iamde sees if he can recollect any knowledge of rock formations in the desert

Knowledge [Nature] Check (1d20+8=20)