Author Topic: Character Development  (Read 25044 times)

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
Re: Character Development
« Reply #120 on: September 16, 2008, 08:32:19 PM »
Gagged or ungagged?
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Vas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #121 on: September 16, 2008, 10:11:57 PM »
Hmm this is going to be fairly big, do you want it posted once its all finished, or bit by bit?
Preferences?
If you\'re an army barber, does that mean you make a living shaving privates?

The definition of Irony: If Terri Irwin drove a Sazuki Stingray

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #122 on: September 16, 2008, 10:14:23 PM »
Whatever is most convenient.

Say, have the "introduction/characters thrown in prison", then the "find out about the captain", then...

But that's just my guess.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #123 on: September 16, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »
ROFL! Oh, veekie... The wonderful mental images you supply me with.

Anyways, I apologize for not posting lately. Been dealing with some stuff...

But as for getting arrested... The first thing that came to mind was my wolf peeing on the head guard's leg while he was busy trying to arrest one of you. It was a momentary lol for me.

I figured that there had to be a reason for the guards not straight up killing me and my doggy for being in town, so I'm gonna go ahead and say that they wanted to keep us alive and sell us to a skinner for a good amount of money or something. Vala kept her mouth shut during the whole "trapping" incident and didn't put up a fight when they caught her because she knew she could escape later: she has druidy spells that warp wood, meld stone, and all that fun stuff that makes breaking out of places REALLY easy. They threw her into the dungeon with you all (in a separate cell, of course) since that was the only holding area they had, and then I guess that's when she started talking to you...? Maybe you offered her or the wolf (Marrock) some food scraps and she felt the need to comment on the pitiful food and the offending odor of the cell...  :monocle

Juuuust a suggestion. I've never been good at the whole, "how did your group meet" thing.  -_-'

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #124 on: September 16, 2008, 10:18:49 PM »
If there is anyone who is, they've obviously failed to find anythign better to do.

Sounds good so far as how we meet up with you.

Vas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #125 on: September 16, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »
Heh I have some good things goin here, I havent had Vala melting stone or anything, Im trying to stay away from overly magical displays for now, just a good old fashioned break out. I think it will be good :D. Im just going to write the actual meeting and escape, with strong alluding to ousting the captain.

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #126 on: September 16, 2008, 10:34:14 PM »
Ok... BIMR forgot Vala had flaws... one being that she panics when "captured or restrained."

I'm working on the character sheet right now and noticed it... and I'm going to have a second flaw in a minute.

So... add a ferociously aggitated and panicked snow leopard to that intro. I'm so sorry!  :facepalm

And since she's panicked, she can't cast...

After she's out and relaxed a little she'll be okay to cast things.  :D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 10:36:41 PM by BobismyRhino »

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

Vas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #127 on: September 16, 2008, 11:11:23 PM »
That might make escaping a little difficult, since an agitated/panicked snow leopard cant really be reasoned with, and would probably bolt into danger without realising it. Do you mind if I play her in control for the most part, but the panic is interfering with her casting? Also she can be very terse and reserved, not like "rawrRRRaaor roar ROAAAWWR" if you know what I mean :D, its kinda hard to say "hi" when you're growling.

Perhaps the initial panic happened at the time of capture, and now she is just starting to quiet down, albeit with the casting barrier.

Does anyone have knowledge nobility and royalty?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2008, 11:25:27 PM by Vas »

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #128 on: September 16, 2008, 11:35:34 PM »
The Flaw

So... she's panicked/angry when they bring her in, but she calms down after a few minutes. That flaw says nothing about being imprisoned. And unless they tied her up, leashed her to a wall, or shackled her, she should be ok within a few minutes. Unless I'm interpreting this all wrong. 

Vas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #129 on: September 16, 2008, 11:42:18 PM »
Im about to head off to work, so I wont be able to post anything more until tonight or tomorrow morning, but by then I should have finished writing, I just have to type it up :)

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #130 on: September 17, 2008, 01:44:05 AM »
Gagged or ungagged?

I found some bondage gear in his quarters! Ya think?
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #131 on: September 17, 2008, 02:00:03 AM »
I don't, but I can swap Knowledge: Religion on my sheet for it without any real trouble. What do we need it for?

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: September 17, 2008, 04:14:57 AM »
Vas, you are busy winning this thread with me away. Score.

As for everyone else, you are also doing a damn good job. :D

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

Vas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #133 on: September 17, 2008, 10:34:23 AM »
Oh the knowledge nobility and royalty was just for an idea in the backstory, but I pretty much got it covered. Its all finished, and I intend to post it up tomorrow, its about 14 pages or so in my notebook, so im not sure how much I can put in with one post. :)

Hope you guys like it! I sure had a blast writing it.

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: September 17, 2008, 03:57:30 PM »
That's the important part. Should be well worth reading.

This group seems to be well on the way to being a good, smoothly  functioning one. Excellent.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #135 on: September 17, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »
Vas, you win the internets.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Vas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: September 17, 2008, 11:54:24 PM »
And here we go!

Backstory for Rise of the Last King

It was raining, that much at least Kielle could tell. The steady drumming on stone was what woke her from her stupor. Glancing up, a small barred window set into a stone wall also showed her it was night. Pushing herself up groggily onto hands and knees, trying to stop her vision swimming, Kielle let out a moan of pain. The back of her head was swollen, a dull throbbing adding to her discomfort. She had been struck unconcious. The last thing she remembered was enjoying a fine meal in a reputable tavern, listening to a rather talented musician recite the battle of Jarin. Angry at herself for her lapse in caution, Kielle looked around to see the truth of what the barred window had alluded to. She was in a cell, a cold, dark and damp cell. After a while of brooding to herself, she became aware of others in the dungeon, but with the light as it was, so poor it may as well have been non existant, she couldn't see how many. The silence was broken by a solitary voice.

"Cheery sort of place, isn't it?"

It was a rich voice, clipped and proper, denoting a well to do upbringing. The only reply was a grunt of agreement, or non commitance, it could have meant anything really. There was a quiet padding in the cell adjacent to hers and a faint rustling. Kielle peered through the bars, just able to make out a shape close to the ground, covered in what appeared to be white fur with black spots...
Kielle stepped back quickly, what on earth was a leopard doing in a dungeon?
Her incredulity was interrupted by a loud grating, followed by a rapidly approaching pool of light. As her eyes adjusted, she saw the people imprisoned with her for the first time. Two of the prisoners were most definately elves, evident in their graceful, yet lithe and powerful builds. One stood in a defiant stance, not unlike that which a warrior might assume, but they other was lounging on the bars, almost as if bored. That one, Kielle was certain, wasn't like any elf she had ever seen. Another figure, powerfully muscled and lean, was scraping a dagger along the stones of his cell's wall. How he had managed to retain that in here was anyones guess.
And yes, her eyes had not deceived her, there was indeed a leopard.
It did have a truly wonderful coat though.
Kielle pulled her gaze from the piercing blue stare of the cat to see a man approach, flanked by a score of heavily armed guards. He sneered at each one of them in turn, insultingly looking them up and down. He struck an arrogant pose and began to address them in a tone dripping with condescension.

"You all know why you're here. You are vagrants, disturbers of the peace, you have no place in this kingdom yet you persist within its borders. I will not suffer your presence any longer. Thus, on the morn, you will be... interrogated. It will not be pleasant, nor pretty. I see most of you are the tough sort, so please, try to hold in your screams. That makes it all the more enjoyable when you do break. Well then, get some sleep, tomorrow promises to be a long, long day."

With that, he chuckled to himself and motioned his entourage to follow. One of the men with a particularly horrible scar leered at Kielle and she cringed. The thought of him trying to force himself upon her was distasteful.
The dungeon was once more thrown into darkness.

"What a charming fellow, well deserving of his unfortunate face and bilious nose."

That must have been the odd looking elf, the one who first spoke in the darkness. A gruff voice answered.

"I don't see how this is a laughing matter, I for one find this place depressing."

The voice would have belonged to the human, it was too low and course for an elf, which helped her to identify the third voice, sure and calm.

"Excuse me, but if you both could be quiet I would appreciate it greatly, I need to think."

Kielle adjusted her initial impressions of her captors. These prisoners were capable people, they couldnt be taken by just any thug and his minions. Talking quietly, almost to herself, she looked down in the direction of the adjacent cell. "So, what's a leopard doing in here?" to which, quite alarmingly, came a reply.

"I know not, human, maybe the other human was jealous of ones fine fur."

For the second time, Kielle scrambled away from the leopards cell.

"It...it can talk?!"

"Yes we know, interesting, is it not?...What is your name? You were unconcious when you arrived so I will forgive your lapse of manners in withholding your introduction."

"My name is Kielle..."

"Well met Kielle, at least it would be if not for present circumstances. I am Respen, Respen Havenwood, pleased to make your aquaintance."

The others also introduced themselves. The man with the dagger was Sigrud Blackthorn, and the warrior elf identified himself as being Galadedhel.

"The leopard is Vala," Sigrud added, "A snow leopard, can you believe it. In these parts! She was her when we got here. Facinating creature."

A sound floated up out of the cell next to Kielle's, she could have sworn it was a soft purring chuckle.
For a long while, no one spoke, but eventually someone had to give voice to the thought foremost in everyones mind. "How do we get out of here?"
It was Sigrud who answered.

"We can't...at least not without opportunity." A few moments passed, then a sharp click followed by a metallic clatter. "Oh look, there's one," he finished.

Kielle could hear the rusted protests of the cell door as it swung open. Grumbling under his breath, Sigrud stumbled around in the dark.

"Some light would be handy..."

Kielle reached down and untied a small pouch hidden inside her belt, pulling out a pebble. With a few subdued gestures and a word or two under her breath, the pebble exploded in a flash of brilliant white light. She threw it through the bars into the centre of the dungeon, providing decent illumination. Sure enough, Sigrud was out of his cell, looking first at the glowing stone, then at her.

"Ah, so there IS more to you than first appears." He paused for a moment, "You dont, you know, roast children alive or raise the dead or anything do you?"

Kielle let out a quiet laugh. "Of course not. My specialty lies in other forms of Necromancy. I suppose I could if I wanted to though, I've never tried before." She looked at Sigrud, "And honestly...roasting children? Thats just absurd.....everyone knows that they taste better boiled."
The smile on her face deepend.
Respen whispered to Galad, "I sure hope thats a sense of humour, or we are in for a very interesting time."

After everyone was freed, they gathered to formulate a plan. It was unanimously agreed that they should explore in pairs, not so far apart that they couldn't help each other if trouble brewed but far enough to allow at least a sense of stealth. Also, the exit was more likely to be found quickly with more than one group searching.

"Agreed," Galad said, "We go in pairs. I shall accompany the lady, she still looks as if a few of her pains are fresh."

They set out, searching the dark, empty hallways of stone. Kielle and Galad had been walking for a few minutes when they came across a heavy iron door flanked by two guardsmen. Kielle pulled back.

"How are we going to do this? Something has to be on the other side, nothing is guarded if it isn't important. The exit maybe?"

Galad glanced around the corner and considered the situation. "We cannot just kill them, they are performing a duty and have no quarrel with us."

Kielle furrowed her brow. "Perhaps we could knock them out?"
With that she glanced around the corner, chanting and gesturing. She let the spell fly, and a startled gasp escaped from both guards throats as a fine golden dust settled about them. They of course couldn't see this since the main effect the dust caused was blindness. Seeing them stumble, Galad took the initiative, swiftly stalking up to the pair and deftly drubbed the pair over the head.

"Nicely done, Galadedhel."

Galad merely smiled and started to investigate the door. It was solid, uncompromising to any of their tinkering. Frustrated, they searched the rooms adjacent to the door, trying to find a key of some sort. They avoided making noise as much as possible, there was no telling who was in earshot. After some time, Kielle finally found the key hidden in the neck of a statuette. Snatching it up, mindful of the delay this endeavor had cost them, she quickly strode to the door and tried the lock. It fit, she turned the key.

"This better be the way out, or...." She trailed off as she swung open the door, taking in the scene of horror before her with revulsion. The room was a place of pain and torture. Blood literally stained every available surface, with gore swept into the corners. Pincers, knives, saws, tools of this most cruel of trades decorated the benches and walls, some even dripping crimson from recent use. Torn clothing, bloodied and tattered, was balled up and discarded in a dark metal bin. Curiously, a fine nobleman's smock was amongst the rags, a ruby ring and signet strewn across the table. Kielle clapped a hand to her mouth, barely suppressing a moan.

"This man must be brought to justice. This.... abomination must be stopped." Galad swore quietly.

Kielle could only nod dumbly, still shaken.

"We found our equipment in a room a few minutes down the hall and were so kind as to bring yours with us." Respen said behind them. After a moment of no reply, he laughed to himself. "Please, don't all congratulate me at once. What's so interesting as to draw the eye from a humble bard?" He peered through the door.
A low growl floated up from the ground, Vala shared the sentiment.

"That changes things," said Sigrud grimly, "Now we have to show that sadistic bastard some steel."

"No," Galad interjected quietly, "Killing him is not the answer, he must be held accountable for his actions, and be punished by his lord accordingly."

"And how are we gonna do that?" Sigrud asked.

"Why, thats should be simple,considering one of our murderous captain's victims was a member of the royal family." Respen pointed to the signet ring on the blood soaked table. "That's the seal of the king and his close family, I saw it upon many decrees posted around the kingdom. I would think showing these to the king would help him swiftly along the course of justice." He strode into the room, snatched up the rings on the table and almost as an afterthought, the clothes as well. "You never know how much evidence may be required."

They stole through the empty corridors, at last coming to  a heavy iron bound door. Minute currents of air could be felt whistling faintly through cracks in the hinges. Sigrud whipped out his pack and started rummaging around, pulling out a set of intricate tools. "Allow me."
No one objected, merely content to wait with anticipation.
A set of heavy clicks announced his work was finished, and after quickly stowing them back into his pack, he shouldered open the door to glance about. Motioning for the others to follow, he lead them out into the night. The rain lashed down, pelting the stones with a steady staccato, soaking them through within seconds.

"I just love your idea of a midnight stroll, my dear Sigrud, but couldn't we have found a path more sheltered?" Respen made light amidst the tension of the group.

Sigrud grinned. "I could have, but I know how much you elves enjoy the great outdoors and everything nature has to throw at you."

"Quiet," Vala growled, "Something here is not right."

Indeed, the truth of her words became apparent when they turned a corner to find many shapes waiting in the chill darkness, moonlight glinting off the metal of their armour.

"You know you'll never make it out of this courtyard alive." The quiet, chilling voice of the captain of the guards was unmistakable. "I can't let you get to the king, not with what you know."

Galad looked to the shapes in the darkness intently. "You don't have to do this, you are commended for doing your duty, but this is duty no longer, this is murder he talks of! This man is a monster!"

There was some shifting amongst the shadowed ranks, but the captain merely chuckled. "They are wholly mine now, they are too afraid for their families not to be. Besides, you are escaping prisoners, the punishment for which is death."

"Listen to me," Galad kept his voice low, for their ears alone, "These men don't deserve to die, they are his pawns. If we must defend ourselves, aim to injure, not to kill."

Galad's last word was punctuated by the captains order to kill them. The majority of the guards shuffled forwards cautiously, but some held back. The captain ordered them to obey him, but still they didn't bolster the ranks of the other guards.

"So be it," the captain spat, "Your loved ones will know pain tonight."

That brought a reaction, but not one of compliance. They withdrew from the main body and lined up in a defensive formation alongside the prisoners. The enraged captain ordered the charge, hefting his wickedly curved blade.
A shadow suddenly soared through the air, a blur of white tearing into his upraised arm. He blinked in surprise as most of his bicep was torn away by the vicious attack of the leaping Vala. Howling in agony, he clutched his ruined arm, sword dropping to the ground in a spray of blood. The fight was on.
Kielle quickly grabbed her pouch full of stones, cast a light spell on it, and heaved it into the area between them and the approaching guardsmen. She was concerned, their numbers were great, and her reservoirs were dangerously low. She had one more spell left, yet it was also one of her most potent. Wielding a short cudgel, she decided to save it for the most dire need.
As the two forces clashed, she was amazed at the skill of her new found companions, the sheer tenacity of their attacks, swift and brutal.
There, Galad was flowing in and out of the melee, as fluid as the water cascading from the sky, yet guards screamed as his deadly dance sliced hamstrings and severed tendons. Effortlessly he spun, deflecting a clumsy overhand swing into another combatant, sending him to the ground clutching his torn abdomen.
Elsewhere, Kielle could see Sigrud punishing anyone stupid enough to try the defenses of the capable human. Each savage strike of his weapon brought a spray of blood, a cry of agony, and more often than not an appendage or two. He was deftly using one of the guards who changed sides to always find the right angle to attack from.
Respen, the strange well spoken elf, was singing a stirring melody of cascading musical notes. His skill at verse, far greater than that of a humble bard he claimed to be, pushed his allies into greater acts of bravery. His blade wasn't any less red than those of his companions, his precise cuts often bore results.
And, amidst the chaos, Vala was striking in and out in fury, her snarls heard above the clash of steel. So quick and precise were her attacks that no one could put up a decent defense against her.
Although their assault was effective, laying low many of their adversaries, the sheer numbers were beginning to give results, and soon each combatant was dripping blood from dozens of cuts and wounds.
It was now or never.
Kielle lifted a bloodied arm and, drawing upon the last of her power, let forth a baleful blast. Guards who had been aggressively fighting a moment before dropped their weapons, grabbing at their eyes in terror. Most bolted, but some merely cowered. While not every guardsman was affected by the wave of terror, enough had been repelled to give a reprieve to the beleagred prisoners. They fought harder, and soon were the only ones left standing amongst the moaning cries of downed men.

Sigrud looked at Kielle, breathing heavily. "You know...I thought you were just joking when you said you practiced necromancy... you dont actually boil children, do you?"

Kielle smiled wearily. "I haven't yet, but I'm open if you're offering."

One of the surviving guardsmen who switched sides approached the group.

"I for one am sorry for my part in your capture. I will escort you all from the premises immediately, though I fear what my liege will make of tonights events."

"Oh, I have no doubt he will approve of the course this night followed, especially when we give him evidence of the murder of his kinsman at the hands of this most foul villain." Respen held up the signet and the ruby ring, glinting in the moonlight. "If you will, good sir, please direct us to the kings chambers with all haste."

The guards expression hardened. "There were rumours that the kings nephew had been lost in a hunting accident..." He looked over at the captain with disgust.

Galad bent down and seized the mailed collar of the fallen captain. "You, my despicable friend, are coming with me." With that, he heaved the semi concious man roughly up onto his shoulder, following the lead of the moralistic guardsman.

As they walked down the finely draped halls of the kings castle, surrounded by wondrous carvings of wood and statuettes of purest alabastor, Kielle looked over at her companions. Despite blood mingling with sweat in dozens of places and the events of a harrowing night with little rest, each one to a person wore a smile of grim excitement, just a slight turning up at the corners of their mouths. Even Vala wore a decidedly feline grin. Watching their sidelong looks of respect and appreciation, she could see that in this one night, strong bonds had been forged. They came to a stop infront a set of ornate double doors. As they readied to burst into the royal chamber, covered in blood, sweat and dirt, weary and soaked through, they stood strong and proud, ready to see this through to the end. Kielle hid a small smile, perhaps she had finally found a group of people worth adventuring with.
The doors swung open with a resounding boom...

Yay for backstory!
« Last Edit: September 18, 2008, 08:55:30 AM by Vas »

Elennsar

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #137 on: September 18, 2008, 12:46:40 AM »
Excellent! I think you got Galad's personality down (Can't speak for anyone else without knowing their characters) very well.

Very honorable, serious, and devoted...

And absolutely intolerant of those who abuse power.

Splendid! Fu for you!

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: September 18, 2008, 03:02:35 AM »
Fu for you from me, too. Seriously, that is awesome.

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #139 on: September 18, 2008, 05:38:55 AM »
That was extremely awesome, and fu-worthy.
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]