Author Topic: Technical issues  (Read 25469 times)

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
Re: Technical issues
« Reply #60 on: July 04, 2008, 12:28:01 AM »
ksb, try going into your settings and re-select you language settings. It worked for me, and everything's been fine since then. :D
Forgive the idiotic nature of this question... but where?  In Internet Explorer? Or on the comp somewhere (Windows XP)?
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #61 on: July 04, 2008, 12:36:43 AM »
In your BG profile go to Account Related Settings and you'll see a place for Preferred Language. There is an option for English at the top, but also one for English nearer to the bottom. Once I selected the English option closer to the bottom my issues with the 'new' button went away.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #62 on: July 04, 2008, 12:49:24 AM »
Awesome! That did the trick.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: August 26, 2008, 11:44:41 AM »
The below is a copy of a PM about an Avatar issue to Meg in case someone else might be able to answer it sooner:

I went to change my avatar and received this message:  The following errors occurred when trying to save your profile:

* The avatar you have selected is too large, or not an avatar.

I checked the size and it was only 83x88 pixels. I thought maybe I needed to get rid of my current one (because sometimes computer procedures can be arbitrary like that), so I did. Then when it still did not work, I was also unable to re-upload my Laughing Man avatar that I originally had. I'm hoping you know what might be going on with the avatars.

EDIT: Apparently my signature has just exploded... I have no idea what happened.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: August 26, 2008, 11:52:40 AM »
Your sig looks right now-- but yeah, it did explode.  What are you doing to the forums??
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2008, 11:59:38 AM »
It's exploding again (it only looked normal a moment ago because I went in and manually corrected it). It began exploding again the moment I made a post, and I'll see if it adds another back-slash (two total) when I post this. :( This makes me sad.

EDIT: Okay, posting this was okay.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2008, 02:32:38 PM »
I've been wondering this for a while and here comes the question. Whenever I edit my sig, no matter what part of it, the forum starts adding randon <br> </br> tags to my signature. Any idea why does this place hate me or should I just take a whiz on its eyes?

Handy Links

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2008, 02:43:40 PM »
I've been wondering this for a while and here comes the question. Whenever I edit my sig, no matter what part of it, the forum starts adding randon <br> </br> tags to my signature. Any idea why does this place hate me or should I just take a whiz on its eyes?

Yeah, that's what happened to me earlier. It added break tags and random back-slashes to my signature (got up to two breaks per line break and seven back-slashes at every apostrophe).

I have yet to try again to re-upload my avatar out of fear that my signature will explode again... >_<
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2008, 03:26:19 PM »
I'd suggest not using any special tags in sigs.  When I have access to a test board I'll start debugging these things though.

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2008, 03:31:52 PM »
I'd suggest not using any special tags in sigs.  When I have access to a test board I'll start debugging these things though.

Blasphemy! I love my bold and underline and font size and center.
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #70 on: August 26, 2008, 04:04:58 PM »
But then you\'d get<br/>extr<br/>aneous cruft in your signature!  It\'d be terrible!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2008, 04:06:58 PM »
What do you mean with special tags? I use centre, underline, Italics and url thingees. Nothing else.

Handy Links

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #72 on: August 26, 2008, 04:29:39 PM »
That's exactly what I meant.  I'm assuming that tags are being stored in the DB as html and that escaping is munging them.  Not sure in what cases though.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2008, 04:39:48 PM »
That's exactly what I meant.  I'm assuming that tags are being stored in the DB as html and that escaping is munging them.  Not sure in what cases though.
I see. I suppose there is nothing more to do than suffer since I have no intention to delete the links from my sig. Thanks for explaining this even for us who are not that adept with html.

Handy Links

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2008, 04:44:03 PM »
I'm not the most html savvy person here, but if it happens to Tshern and Nox, shouldn't it happen to me too, since I use center/url/etc codes in my sig? I've never had an issue with it, though.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: August 26, 2008, 05:00:28 PM »
I'm not the most html savvy person here, but if it happens to Tshern and Nox, shouldn't it happen to me too, since I use center/url/etc codes in my sig? I've never had an issue with it, though.

Maybe it senses a disturbance in the force? Either that or it's avatar-related. Didn't Tshern change his semi-recently?
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #76 on: August 26, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »
Well that would explain why it messes with Tshern. ;)
But why you, too, Nox? :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

ZeroSum

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #77 on: August 26, 2008, 05:07:23 PM »
Shrug.  I haven't looked at the code so all I've got is hypotheses.  It's a good guess that when changing your avatar it re-evaluates your sig and munges the HTML in the process.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: August 26, 2008, 05:11:02 PM »

Maybe it senses a disturbance in the force? Either that or it's avatar-related. Didn't Tshern change his semi-recently?
Might be. Can't really see why it fucks up though. Goddamn internet.

Handy Links

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2008, 05:19:18 PM »
Yeah, the internet as a whole is a little wonky.

Actually, that reminds me, fairly often (at least once a day, when I'm on BG, basically, beginning a few weeks ago) I get an issue with BG where I basically get a white screen (it comes up with a page nor found message or something [I don't remember which message I get since I get different ones from different sites T_T]) and I can only proceed to the page by inserting www into the url address (note: this doesn't help at all if I was in the middle of making a post since the post is not... well, posted). Also, even adding www doesn't always work, particularly for threads in sub-forums (I can always view the main forum index, but sub-forums and threads usually give me the error).

EDIT: I tried the Photobucket route. I set my profile picture to the link. It does not show up...

:( I still can't get an avatar.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 09:53:40 AM by Nox_Noctis »
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]