Author Topic: Technical issues  (Read 25516 times)

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: Technical issues
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2008, 04:11:26 AM »
Ah, good to know. Here I was thinking the CO migration swarmed your servers  :eh
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2008, 04:42:02 AM »
New question / request - is there a way to change the view settings so that we can view many posts at once?

Right now the max you can see on one page is 15 posts ... I'd love a personal setting that let us up that to 50 or 100.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

Josh

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2008, 04:43:09 AM »
When I picked this hosting company it was because a number of people recomended it.  Specifically Coverville said that when they were Slash-doted and when they were mentioned in Penny Arcade the site never went down.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Josh

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2008, 04:53:37 AM »
New question / request - is there a way to change the view settings so that we can view many posts at once?

Right now the max you can see on one page is 15 posts ... I'd love a personal setting that let us up that to 50 or 100.

Best,
David

I just upped it slightly, the problem is that it is not controllable at the user level.  Personally I thought it was definitely showing too few topics and posts.  It is now 25 topics and 20 posts.  Let me know if that is a problem for anyone.

DavidWL

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008, 06:25:40 AM »

Best,
David

I just upped it slightly, the problem is that it is not controllable at the user level.  Personally I thought it was definitely showing too few topics and posts.  It is now 25 topics and 20 posts.  Let me know if that is a problem for anyone.

Thank you Josh. 

I suspect this is one of those things that people could argue about endlessly.

Best,
David
Some Cool Quotes:  [spoiler]
Quote from: unknown
Non-PC activities like out of combat healing should be left to wands and NPCs. It's not fun to play a walking wand of CLW. Likewise, being a combat wall is not a viable PC role. A Wall of Force could do that.

-Sort of, but you left out the important note that a Wall of Force does it better.

Quote from: Runestar / skydragonknight
The most powerful character is the one that you actually get to play.

Quote from: Operation Shoestring
I often have to remind people not to underrate divination.  The ability to effectively metagame without actually metagaming beats the ability to set things on fire more times than not.
[/spoiler]
DavidWL's Random Build Archive

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • /castrandom - even we don't know what it's about
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 12:48:32 PM »
I've noticed that a number of the forum icons aren't loading properly in my browser, I'm getting broken image icons. The most notable one is the "jump to new post" icon that I imagine follows the thread title in the forum view of threads with new posts. I can click on it, but it's not displaying.

The image is supposed to be:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/Themes/default/images/english-utf8/new.gif

But it's not showing up, if I load that graphic I get redirected to the homepage (In other news, your 404 redirects are just going back to the homepage, I dunno if that's what you want).

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008, 11:43:24 AM »
I also cannot see Josh's Avatar, or the fancy-pants icon that goes under his name showing how cool he is.

Josh

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008, 12:22:17 PM »
I also cannot see Josh's Avatar, or the fancy-pants icon that goes under his name showing how cool he is.

My icon is actually an *.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008, 12:25:02 PM »

My icon is actually an *.

But this is what I see:

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008, 12:26:28 PM »
What browser are you using?  Can anyone else not see it?
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2008, 12:54:17 PM »
I use Safari, but it looks the same in Firefox. In both cases, I'm on a Mac.

Your icon isn't showing up either, I see your avatar, but not the level icon (mine is the two-star thing, and I assume yours is a bulb of some sort, due to the URL).

The image in question _should be_

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/Themes/default/images/bulb2.gif

But that image doesn't exist. I bet it's a forum theme/skin issue, since bulb2.gif is probably a custom icon, but you didn't get it to get added to all the skin folders.

Let me repeat, I'm seeing the same thing for the "new message posted" icon, the URL to the image I'm supposed to be seeing is above.

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2008, 12:58:09 PM »
An extra bit: the reason Josh sees a "*" for his level-icon is because that's the alt-text in the image tag. Firefox displays just the alt text when there's a broken image, whereas safari displays the "no image" icon.

Similarly, it looks to some people like Josh has no avatar, but really he has an avatar that points to a broken link with no alt text, so nothing gets displayed in Firefox (I just checked on that). When I see the site in Firefox, the new-post image still isn't there, but the alt-text (new) is displayed instead.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2008, 04:42:08 PM »
Josh's avatar & the "New" image for posts also does not load on my browser. But I use IE 6.0
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2008, 04:53:57 PM »
the * for our icon I knew was broken.  I just have to upload the little bulb again.  I should be able to fix Josh's avatar too.  The new icon though I'm still confused about?

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

pfooti

• Bi-Curious George
  • Pants are for Suckers
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 20, 2008, 05:03:43 PM »
The new-post icon is supposed to be this file:

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/Themes/default/images/english-utf8/new.gif

Which isn't there.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #35 on: May 20, 2008, 05:17:37 PM »
The new-post icon is supposed to be this file:

Which isn't there.
Here's what it looks like on my screen...[spoiler][/spoiler]
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2008, 07:18:39 PM »
I see the same thing as aftercrescent.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2008, 07:33:54 PM »
Ok, I fixed the icon under the Gameologists' names.  For the new icon... I don't even see where that should be.  But before I get to that point- how to you look at your recent unread posts?

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2008, 07:36:29 PM »
Ok, I fixed the icon under the Gameologists' names.  For the new icon... I don't even see where that should be.  But before I get to that point- how to you look at your recent unread posts?
  If your top bar is not shrunk (the + or - button in the upper right corner) There should be that area below "Hello aftercrescent" like in the picture above. Click on Show unread posts since last visit. That'll get you to where my picture is from :)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

ksbsnowowl

• Grape ape
  • Wishing I was a raging Norseman
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2008, 07:36:49 PM »
If I'm understanding your question correctly, clicking on the broken "new" image still activates the link to go to the first new post in the thread, it's just that the image itself is broken.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist.

KSB Snow Owl's Archer Build thread