Author Topic: Mechonomicon  (Read 75221 times)

triptheridon

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
Re: Mechonomicon
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2011, 06:14:42 PM »
What about a good golem in a dungeon ?

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2011, 09:49:48 PM »
Shredstorms, MM3.  They take the cake for close-quarters or any form of limited space.  The fact they can make their own passages through dungeons also makes them a great utility choice.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:52:29 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.

Umbralfox

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2011, 07:52:59 AM »
Suppose this is my first post, but it's a topic I've come to really appreciate lately, having built a wizard around the golem-builder concept. In his defense, he has a lot of stuff from third party sources that made things quite a bit easier, and quite a bit more doable as a character concept.

Anyways, I had an idea the other day for something that might or might not have been covered elsewhere on the boards: A bard henchmen. Would his Inspire Greatness ability, which grants +2 (or more, depending on feats) hit dice give him the ability to assist you in making golems? Is there a way in which those extra hit dice could be considered 'levels' for the purpose of qualifying for golem creation?

I even thought of having something like a warforged bard 'assistant' who can bardic music 24/7 for the inspire greatness ability; a general assistant in the lab, who puts out a constant stream of suggestions and inspiration, kind of a perform: technobabble skill.

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2011, 05:27:29 PM »
No, Inspire Greatness won't help. The HD are generic d10s, and they don't improve any existing class features you may have, including spellcasting. You could use them to get access to a feat earlier than normal, but they wouldn't help with anything that had a CL requirement, or required you to be an X level Wizard.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2011, 07:28:02 PM »
No, Inspire Greatness won't help. The HD are generic d10s, and they don't improve any existing class features you may have, including spellcasting. You could use them to get access to a feat earlier than normal, but they wouldn't help with anything that had a CL requirement, or required you to be an X level Wizard.
Bloodline levels and multiclassing, however, would.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

Wilb

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Troll Blooded Bone Knight at your service!
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2011, 12:37:15 AM »
What about the Practiced spellcaster feat, as the feat increases the caster level up to the character's HD, would it's limit be increased by Inspire Greatness granted HD? And, if possible, would it be appliable for the purpose of making golems? (If possible, the Focused Performance feat from Dragon magazine would allow for using the full benefits of the feat)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 12:53:41 AM by Wilb »

Umbralfox

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2011, 10:57:29 AM »

DawnbringerSO

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2011, 09:17:58 PM »
From dragon 341 you have the fungus golem, the junk golem, the paper golem, the tin golem, the wax golem and the wood golem. These are all low level golems.

Also, is there any way to craft constructs without actually getting the feat?

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2011, 09:19:10 PM »
Also, is there any way to craft constructs without actually getting the feat?
Artificer's Craft Homunculus class feature. Also animate objects + permanency. If you get a Construct familiar it's assumed you crafted it.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 09:21:15 PM by Prime32 »
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2011, 02:06:06 AM »
What about the Practiced spellcaster feat, as the feat increases the caster level up to the character's HD, would it's limit be increased by Inspire Greatness granted HD? And, if possible, would it be appliable for the purpose of making golems? (If possible, the Focused Performance feat from Dragon magazine would allow for using the full benefits of the feat)

Yes, that would work. And yes, it would apply for anything that simply looks at your caster level.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2011, 10:10:46 PM »
The Master's Voice feat allows one to take over any non-intelligent construct or undead with repeated UMD checks as long as it's master isn't there. This allows you to command constructs that can't even be made by the Craft Construct feat including things like the Retriever. This would be a good addition to the handbook if anyone ever decided to take it up.

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2011, 09:51:02 AM »
Where is that feat from?

Bastian

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2011, 10:36:18 AM »

Cagemarrow

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2011, 01:47:38 PM »
Interesting, will be useful to gain control of more powerful constructs in our e6 game that exist as monsters but can't be made. Will have to consider taking that.