Author Topic: Mechonomicon  (Read 75211 times)

BowenSilverclaw

• Organ Grinder
  • Walking that fine line between genius and insanity
    • Email
Re: Mechonomicon
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2009, 03:51:13 PM »
Awesome, thanks Prime :D
"Weakness? Come test thy mettle against me, hairless ape, and we shall know who is weak!"

Quote from: J0lt
You caught a fish.  It was awesome.   :lol

bayar

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2009, 09:01:16 PM »
Someone posted this on the original thread.

Quote from: Manic Man;16025885
Looked through the website and found some more constructable 3.5 golems.

Sardorian Golem http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20040123c
Razor Golem http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20030418a
Gold Golem http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030901a

These are 3.0 but some games may allow them
Coal Golem http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20020830a
Sickstone Golem http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fw/20021123a
Psi-Guardian http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psb/20020823a
Throne Guardian http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20021213a

Snizor

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2009, 03:25:03 AM »
Thanks. I stopped checking the wizards site some time ago.

Added the two that are 3.5-ready (Razor Golem has 3.0 style DR). Will add the others later.
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

QOShea

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2009, 06:51:26 PM »
Snizor,

How are you basing your level calculations for the creation of the constructs? Any construct that requires Animate Object would require the caster to be at least an 11th level Cleric or a 16th level Bard.

McPoyo

• Organ Grinder
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »
Not necessarily. Purchasing a usable scroll/wand/staff/etc of the spell would work as well.
[Spoiler]
A gygaxian dungeon is like the world's most messed up game show.

Behind door number one: INSTANT DEATH!
Behind door number 2: A magic crown!
Behind door number 3: 4d6 giant bees, and THREE HUNDRED POUNDS OF HONEY!
They don't/haven't, was the point. 3.5 is as dead as people not liking nice tits.

Sometimes, their tits (3.5) get enhancements (houserules), but that doesn't mean people don't like nice tits.

Though sometimes, the surgeon (DM) botches them pretty bad...
Best metaphor I have seen in a long time.  I give you much fu.
Three Errata for the Mage-kings under the sky,
Seven for the Barbarian-lords in their halls of stone,
Nine for Mortal Monks doomed to die,
One for the Wizard on his dark throne
In the Land of Charop where the Shadows lie.
[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2009, 07:44:10 PM »
Except that you have to expend the spell each day of crafting... So pricewise. :shrug
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2009, 10:49:18 PM »
Hire someone who does have that spell for the production process?
Guess WotC never realised the bulk of wizards simply can't manufacture most constructs.
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

Snizor

« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2009, 01:36:53 AM »
Hire someone who does have that spell for the production process?
Guess WotC never realised the bulk of wizards simply can't manufacture most constructs.
Pretty much.

I generally used the "creator must be X level" blurb in the construction section of the construct's entry (which generally corresponded to the construct's CL) to determine where it fit.
The Collected Works of Snizor:<br />Collection of Necromatic Oddities<br />Mechonomicon

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2009, 08:14:22 AM »
Except that you have to expend the spell each day of crafting... So pricewise. :shrug
Arguably make a runestaff, unless you can't emulate spell slots with UMD, which is IMHO not quite clear.

bayar

• Email
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2009, 04:59:03 PM »
Make the creator able to cast the spell. Like artificiers. You have the necesary caster level ? You qualify. Just cast it from a scroll or what not every day until you finish the damn thing.

Negative Zero

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2009, 02:35:27 AM »
There are several unlisted constructs at
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archeb/cw

bayar

• Email
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2009, 08:32:31 AM »
Could this thread be moved in the Handbook section ? It seems to fit more there (and it could be easier to find  :D ).

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2010, 10:09:34 AM »
Moved to Handbooks
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Echoes

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #53 on: December 13, 2010, 11:54:14 PM »
Worthwhile to note is that Dragon Magazine #327 has three options for improving constructs.

Advanced Binding: Increases the cost to create by 3,000 gp, lets you ignore the berserk trait.
Extra Arms: Increases the cost to create by 25%, gains two arms and two slam attacks as part of a full attack with the same stats as it's default slam.
Rudimentary Intelligence: Increases the cost to create by 8,000 gp, grants the construct Intelligence equal to 1/2 your caster level at the time of creation.
BrokeAndDrive speaks the Truth (linked for great justice and signature limits)

Quotes I Found Entertaining:

Huge amounts of people are fuckwits. That doesn't mean that fuckwit is a valid lifestyle.

As a general rule, murdering people and taking their stuff is pretty much superior to breaking their stuff, murdering them, then not having any stuff to take.

Out of Context Theater
[spoiler]
Oh I'll make a party. I'll make a party so hard... I'll make a party that makes you feel so awkward downstairs.

You'll see the party and only be able to respond, "Oh yeah baby."
[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 14, 2010, 02:39:06 PM »
Rudimentary Intelligence: Increases the cost to create by 8,000 gp, grants the construct Intelligence equal to 1/2 your caster level at the time of creation.
Wha...? That should be abusable, right? At least it should end up far from rudimentary...

bearsarebrown

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2010, 03:25:02 PM »
Wha...? That should be abusable, right? At least it should end up far from rudimentary...
It's not that great to have high intelligence. As long as you have >3 you get feats and are able to think and that's really what matters. Unless you want to role play the mec.

triptheridon

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »
Hello

Good job all ...
Reading a few posts, it seems sometimes difficult to recall where to find a specific creature.

I tried to gather in one place all references to the golem in the D&D books and the major magazines (Dragon, Dungeon, etc.).
You will find the 400 reference index here ...

http://www.4shared.com/document/NTeFPNVZ/The_Ultimate_Golem_Index__DD__.html

Hope it will be of use ... If you find a golem missing let me know ...

triptheridon

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2011, 05:35:56 PM »
Here is a new version of The Ultimate Golem Index listing more than 500 references of golems for the D&D game.

v1.0 : http://www.4shared.com/document/NTeFPNVZ/The_Ultimate_Golem_Index__DD__.htm
v1.1 : http://www.4shared.com/document/aahJaqH4/The_Ultimate_Golem_Index__DD__.html

If your keen eyes see any golem missing, let me know ...

Note that this is an extract from The Complete Manual of Golems, a 120 pages handbook dedicated to the golem for all versions of D&D.

triptheridon

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2011, 10:24:41 AM »
Here is "The Complete Manual of Golems", a 120 pages handbook dedicated to the golem for all versions of D&D.

http://www.4shared.com/document/whp-CA6D/Manuel_Complet_du_Golem__DD__v.html

snakeman830

• Organ Grinder
  • BG's resident furry min/maxxer
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2011, 12:48:43 PM »
Dragonbone Golems are interesting.  First, their Fear Aura is both a blessing and a curse.  Golems that are walking debuffs aren't bad, but you do want to make sure that you and your allies aren't subject to it (can be done fairly easily, since a successful save renders you immune for 24 hours, just walk in and out of the aura until you succeed).  Far more interesting is its complete immunity to ALL magic.  Unlike the typical "Immunity to Magic" of golems, this one applies to spells and spell-likes that don't allow SR as well as Supernatural abilities!  They have okay combat abilities and a nice full attack, but you almost have to give them an Amulet of Mighty fists to really capitalize on that.  Also, repairing them is a pain because you either need to be an Artificier (Infusions can still affect them) or use the costly repairs possible with the Craft Construct feat.

Drakestone golems are nice, with a save-or-die every 1d4 rounds with a decent save DC that bypasses Death Ward (immunity to petrification actually is rather hard to come by outside of a few monsters, who are typically not PC enemies anyway).  Their Magic Immunity, like the dragonbone Golem, also protects them from effects that don't allow Spell Resistance and Supernatural abilities.  While there are two spells that can get through this (two only out of the thousands printed), one is a kind of lame debuff and the other is a complete healing of all damage.  This is a great weapon to use against mages.  While its hit points are low, it's also not a bad choice to use in melee due to an impressive full attack.

Ironwyrm Golems have their place: utterly vaporizing scores of mooks.  20d10 damage is pretty impressive, even if it is fire.  The save DC is decently high and the full attack routine is highly impressive (only slightly worse than the tarrasque's, and that's saying something).  Like the other two Dragon golems, it's magic immunity protects from far more than your usual golem.  The drakestone golem might have it beat in the number of spells that can affect it at all, but easy healing is definitely nice (set up a Wall of Fire when you send it into battle, or have have it blast itself with flame after each fight).  Oh, and it's immune to Rust Monsters if you care.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 09:45:57 PM by snakeman830 »
I am constantly amazed by how many DM's ban Tomb of Battle.  The book doesn't even exist!

Quotes:[spoiler]
By yes, she means no.
That explains so much about my life.
hiicantcomeupwithacharacterthatisntaghostwhyisthatamijustretardedorsomething
Why would you even do this? It hurts my eyes and looks like you ate your keyboard before suffering an attack of explosive diarrhea.
[/spoiler]

If using Genesis to hide your phylactry, set it at -300 degrees farenheit.  See how do-gooders fare with a liquid atmosphere.