Author Topic: [D&D3.5]The Rise of the Last King (Recruiting)  (Read 8527 times)

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
[D&D3.5]The Rise of the Last King (Recruiting)
« on: September 03, 2008, 08:44:40 AM »
Mister_Sinister and I have decided to Co-DM a game.  We're going for a Mystery/Suspense/Horror theme.  We want to bring back the flavor of some of the 'better' monsters. Ever laughed at a minotaur? Not anymore.  The game will bring the dark elements of books like the Book of Vile Darkness, Libris Mortis, Champions of Ruin, and, especially, Heroes of Horror.

The game will start at 6th level and run to approximately 16th level or above. Expect competent combat and heavy role playing in this game. :D

Story: The game will start with the final meeting between a group of five well-traveled, seasoned, adventurers and their soon-to-be sponsor, Emilio. The team that has worked together to establish their credentials has been sought after and recruited for a most promising mission. Emilio has learned of a lost civilization, buried deep in the jungle. A civilization that disappeared over a millenia ago, and he is most interested in what this civilization has to offer. Anything in the lines of wealth, in addition to the hefty fee he is offering, will be fair game for the adventurers, but anything of possible historical or archaelogical relevance will pass through his hands first.  That is the only rule he has established. The jungle is largely unexplored due to its density, dangerous creatures, and the heavy mists that can cause one to quickly become lost.  The entire thing reaks of adventure and wealth, and the party is almost biting at the chomp to head out...

Houserules:
~ Any 3.5 source is open to use. We're not one for limiting resources. However, since this game has a fair portion dedicated to flavor and role playing, we prefer that choices for race and class be made primarily on flavor. We reserve the right to empower or nerf something, as appropriate, to keep balance with the rest of the party.
~ Posting Limit: We want a game that moves forward, and steadily. To that end, we've settled on a one post/day minimum. If you don't think you can make that, the game may not be for you. Of course real life creeps up on us, but please let us know. Going MIA is not going to fly. :P  Also, since many people go out to enjoy the weekends, if you can keep the post rate Mon-Fri, but slow down during the weekends, that won't hurt, just let us know in advance.
~ Lycanthropy specifically, but templates in general for the most part, change humanoids to non-humanoids. In the case of Lycanthropy, humanoids become Monstrous Humanoids. Giants stay giants.
~ Race requirements for Prestige Classes will be waved.
~ Multi-class penalties will be waved.
~ Fractional BAB & Saves.
~ Death occurs at -10HP or -Con HP, whichever is more beneficial at the time.
~ Disjunction does not destroy items, but renders them non-magical for 1 hour.
~ Any non-Int based class that has 2+Int skill points, is upped to 4+Int skill points (cleric, sorcerer, and warlock off the top of our heads).
~ Level Adjustment does not exist. If you want to play a race that is not basic race, PM/Message Mister_Sinister or myself. Tell us the race and why and we'll make something ad hoc. It'll be very houseruled, but we'll work it out. :D
~ The Dread Witch's Greater Master of Terror ability allows the Dread Witch's fear effects to pierce any immunity, save mindless creature's immunity.
~ New Feat: Sublime Outlaw - This feat allows a character to stack ONE martial class with rogue for Sneak attack damage. So Rogue 5/IL 3 has the Sneak Attack of a Rogue 8. Also, the rogue levels stack with IL, as if it was a full IL class for the purpose of qualifying for martial STANCES.
~ Swashbucklers are going to change: d10 HD for starters. Add in Fighter bonus feats, and Swashbucklers qualify for them as if they were a fighter of their level. Also, the Arcane Stunt variant from Complete Mage is now a Swashbuckler class feature.
~ Feat Change: Einhander (PHB2) is being drastically changed. Narrow Profile becomes - You can add your int as a shield bonus to AC when using a one-handed weapon in your main hand and nothing in your off hand. Off-hand Balance becomes - As long as you successfully damage a creature, you do not provoke Attacks of Opportunity from that creature for maneuvering in/out of combat that round. Off-Hand swap dies. Instead, add Lunging Strike - As long as you are in the Einhander stance (activating or deactivating is a swift action) you gain 5' reach.
~ Fear Change: Weapon Focus - You gain a +1 on attack and damage rolls with your chosen weapon. This increases by an additional +1 for every 4 points of BAB. (BAB of 4 = +2, 8 = +3, etc). The max bonus is +5 at BAB 16 from this feat. Weapon Specialization, etc all the way up to Weapon Supremacy are trashed. :D
~ Item Change: The Everfull Mug produces only wine, beer or ale. It takes one minute to slowly fill the mug with the liquid of choice, but has no limit to the number of uses.
~ Natural Bond CAN offset the penalty for a higher level druid's animal companion.
~ Skills will be rolled together, as per MS's general houserule:
- Climb, Jump and Swim are now one skill, named Athletics
- Balance and Tumble are now one skill, named Acrobatics
- UMD and UPD are now one skill, Command Supernatural Device
- Disable Device now includes the benefits of Open Lock; consequentially, Open Lock is no longer a skill.
- Spellcraft and Psycraft are now one skill, called Supernatural Lore
- Hide and Move Silently are now one skill, called Stealth
- Spot and Listen are now one skill, called Perception

I think that covers the houserules. Yeah. Suspense/Horror houseruled game with fair amounts of RP and Combat. Levels 6-16ish.  We'll be taking 5 players, so post your interest and any inspiration you have. Right now, we're temporarily reserving 3 spots for people who we'd like in on it. If they don't bite, of course, the spots are open to all. :D
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 04:58:11 AM by AfterCrescent »
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Elennsar

• Grape ape
  • The Emperor is watching, the Emperor knows.
    • Email
Re: [D&D3.5]The Rise of the Last King (Recruiting)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 10:16:19 AM »
Let me get this straight.

Suspense.

Horror.

Mystery.

Combat heavy.

AND

Roleplaying heavy.

Are you out of your fething minds?

Count me in.

Edit: Planning on playing a human (elf trained) Swashbuckler (if with a rather different attitude) with an Elven thinblade.

Ability scores:

Strength 15
Dexterity 16
Constitution 15
Intelligence 17
Wisdom 14
Charisma 14

Generated by: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/1719311/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:14:43 AM by Elennsar »
Faith can move mountains. It still can't deflect bullets.

"Communication with humans." is a cross-class skill for me. Please bear this in mind.

Vas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 11:00:51 AM »
Hiya, I'm new to these boards but played D&D often with Mr Sinister for quite a while.
I would be keen to jump in this game, always wanted a good solid horror style campaign to have fun with.

I already have a character concept and everything.... :)
If you\'re an army barber, does that mean you make a living shaving privates?

The definition of Irony: If Terri Irwin drove a Sazuki Stingray

AvalonŽ

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 11:11:04 AM »
This sounds interesting.

I'm in

veekie

• Organ Grinder
  • WARNING: Homing Miko
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2008, 11:24:15 AM »
I'm on it like a starving man with a burger stash.
EDIT:Rogue/Warblade, reporting.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2008, 01:07:23 PM by veekie »
The mind transcends the body.
It's also a little cold because of that.
Please get it a blanket.

I wish I could read your mind,
I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"
-Ibuki Suika, on overkill

To sumbolaion diakoneto moi, basilisk ouranionon.
Epigenentheto, apoleia keraune hos timeis pteirei.
Hekatonkatis kai khiliakis astrapsato.
Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

There is no higher price than 'free'.

"I won't die. I've been ordered not to die."

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2008, 02:07:28 PM »
I shall partake in this campaigny goodness.  :D

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

Ieniemienie

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 02:14:18 PM »
Well, if Bobismyrhino plays as well, everyone will want to join!! So I hereby express interest.

just a question on the following:
Level Adjustment does not exist. If you want to play a race that is not basic race, PM/Message Mister_Sinister or myself. Tell us the race and why and we'll make something ad hoc. It'll be very houseruled, but we'll work it out.
If I understand correctly, you rework classes with a LA to LA 0, but do you make the non-LA races playable as well?
'DnD is not a game; it is a membership in a tribe that I joined long ago.'

Stupidity should be painful!

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 03:52:21 PM »
If I understand correctly, you rework classes with a LA to LA 0, but do you make the non-LA races playable as well?
You do understand correctly. As Frank & K explain in their tomes, and as most optimizers realize, LA just doesn't work. :D I'm not sure what LA -- race you're thinking off, but the answer is probably yes. Animals, Undead, and Mindless constructs can be hit with awaken and altered appropriately, for example. Just let us know what you're thinking.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 07:50:45 PM »
What level of optimisation do you want this to be, AC? I mean, would you balk at a Dragonwrought Jungle Kobold with 2 flaws and Loredrake cheesiness?

AlisAtAn

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 08:50:27 PM »
I`m sooo in on this. Not sure what I`ll play. Yet. May end up with a summoner.
Odin, Feral Shifter Feral Shifter. "Can I drown the dead rat now?"
Loke, Dread Magnate "Me all good and nice. Ask any questions and I`ll kill you twice."

DnD classes is kind of like art. You make lots of stuff that everyone loves but aint no fun to play. This one is like getting a nude pic of Britney Spears when she was hot above your bed.  Anyone can appreciate it. And it works as it should in practise, not just in theory. -Me to Strato regarding his Elemental

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »
All right, so MS and I are in the middle of discussing details. We're glad to see such a quick response by people. :D

Elennsar - Swashbuckler (melee) - 17, 16, 15, 15, 14, 14
Vas - Necromancer (arcane) - 18, 17, 16, 16, 12, 11
Veekie - Rogue/Warblade (skillmonkey) - 17, 17, 15, 14, 14, 12
Bobismyrhino - Druid (divine) - 17, 16, 16, 14, 12, 10

And we have a few others who haven't specified what they like to play. So we're asking you to A) confirm you can keep up with the post count and B) choose what you'd like to play.  Like we said up above, there will be balancing to keep the power levels among members relatively even, so choose something you want to play and would enjoy role playing. :D  We'll probably make our final decision later tonight or tomorrow.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 01:40:13 AM by AfterCrescent »
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 09:29:03 PM »
OK, then. I'm in, AC. Post count is not an issue 99% of the time.

Character archetype:
DW Jungle Kobold Arcane Hierophant

I can change if it is needed. I am comfortable with just about all casters.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

"Skynet begins to learn at a geometric rate. It becomes self-aware at 2:14 a.m. Eastern time, August 29th. At 2:15, it begins rolling up characters."

[spoiler]
"Just what do you think the moon up in the sky is? Everyone sees that big, round shiny thing and thinks there must be something round up there, right? That's just silly. The truth is much more awesome than that. You can almost never see the real Moon, and its appearance is death to humans. You can only see the Moon when it's reflected in things. And the things it reflects in, like water or glass, can all be broken, right? Since the moon you see in the sky is just being reflected in the heavens, if you tear open the heavens it's easy to break it~"

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 10:07:03 PM »
Heh. Thanks Veekie. :P

Yeah, so we forgot to mention stat gen will be 5d6 drop the lowest two. Just like everything though, if it's way unbalanced, we may ask some to drop a high score or two. :D

Also, the houserules have been updated with some more specifics MS & I just worked out.
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Vas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 10:43:06 PM »
Just rolled some nifty stats,

MS can vouch for em ;P

Str 11
Dex 16
Con 16
Int 18
Wis 12
Cha 17

What can I say, I got lucky.... maybe its for all those suckhard rolls I used to get....
If you\'re an army barber, does that mean you make a living shaving privates?

The definition of Irony: If Terri Irwin drove a Sazuki Stingray

Blade2718

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
    • Un4given Ghosts Scenario Paintball
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2008, 01:32:37 AM »
Hmm, might want to import an IC Bard from a defunct game.  Star Elf aiming at Bard/Virtuoso/Sublime Chord.

veekie

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2008, 08:28:47 AM »
Yay for unlimited beering!
Please get it a blanket.

I can barely read mine.

[spoiler]

Khiliarkhou Astrape!
[/spoiler]

Mister_Sinister

• King Kong
  • For some people, four walls are three too many.
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2008, 08:40:48 AM »
Well, we can't let an epically-named item like THAT suffer WotC's idiocy, can we? :P

Everything I learned about DnD I learned from Frank Trollman at The Gaming Den... but nowadays, my work space is the New DnD Wiki.

Check them both out!

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2008, 09:44:05 AM »
If there's room, I'm interested as well.

Edit: Now I am not busy anymore, so I'll add a little something to the stub.

I'd love to do a Dread Necromancer and I cannot help but to adore that you are actually focusing on terror and darkness. I've been looking for a game like that forever. With these houserules Dread Necros get more skillpoints too!

And the posting rate requirement... I don't think that will be a problem for me, as you might imagine.

In case I am not getting in, I wish you all the best of luck with this!
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:01:46 AM by Tshern »

Handy Links

AvalonŽ

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2008, 12:07:36 PM »
I'd like to play either a wizard focused Anima Mage gish or some sort of throwing build like the Der Erkonig build in the ToB compendium