Author Topic: [D&D 3.5] Verold - Setup Thread  (Read 20327 times)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
Re: [D&D 3.5] Verold - Setup Thread
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2008, 11:47:06 PM »
Sneakyfeet is her ferret, I believe...

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2008, 11:49:06 PM »
Yeah...but what is (s)he?  Class?
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

AfterCrescent

• Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #62 on: October 02, 2008, 11:50:51 PM »
I'm not 100% sure about the monk, but the Tiger is a definite... I'm waiting to see what the rest of Ejo's PrCs are.

And Sneakyfeet I doubt has much decided other than "cute ferret" about her.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 02, 2008, 11:56:34 PM »
Wait!  I get it now!  I'm not this dense normally...

But yeah, you should do something large or larger (find a way...) so we can play Pong with the enemies!  First one to run out of AoOs loses!

I thought there was a near identical build to Sneakyfeat...
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 03, 2008, 02:37:00 AM »
I'm not 100% sure about the monk, but the Tiger is a definite... I'm waiting to see what the rest of Ejo's PrCs are.

And Sneakyfeet I doubt has much decided other than "cute ferret" about her.

ROGUE!!! She's named Sneakyfeet for a reason!!!

And yes, she's damn cute.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2008, 02:39:36 AM by BobismyRhino »

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #65 on: October 03, 2008, 02:57:53 AM »
Or we could just be a tag team duo of greatness along with the Tiger Monk Twins. And isn't the Dark Side supposed to be Wolves only? I had assumed it was, but I'd be willing to switch if allowed and necessary.
I guess we could try to get along. Abenak is going to be fairly strongly focused on Telepathy, so if you bring the battlefield control, I'll bring the mental Save or Loses.

The only problem will be that Abenak is pretending to be a wizard, seeing as psionics is hated and feared throughout Verold. Shouldn't raise too many eyebrows, but I think you might just cotton on very quickly.
I know gameology-fu.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 03, 2008, 08:43:08 AM »
Hokay, from the sounds of it, no one's really all that interested in the evil campaign, so I'm going to start the Light one up at all 6 people.

After it gets off the ground, I'll try re-recruiting for the dark campaign and maybe swapping a few people from the light over to it, depending on character/plot direction.

All the builds so far look great.  :D

Also, if AC ends up taking Hybrid Master after all, he will be large sized.  ;)

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: October 03, 2008, 10:45:04 AM »
Hey Ejo, how are you on homebrews?  Specifically a homebrew fix to VoPov.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #68 on: October 03, 2008, 11:11:09 AM »
Oddball question: EjoThims, how would you feel about someone wearing clothes over armor? Specifically, wearing leather armor (or mithril chain/mitral breastplate of nimbleness when I can afford them) underneath a mundane wizard's robes?
I know gameology-fu.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: October 03, 2008, 07:23:09 PM »
Hey Ejo, how are you on homebrews?  Specifically a homebrew fix to VoPov.

I'd have to see it, but for the most part I'd like to avoid homebrews other than the setting stuff itself.

Oddball question: EjoThims, how would you feel about someone wearing clothes over armor? Specifically, wearing leather armor (or mithril chain/mitral breastplate of nimbleness when I can afford them) underneath a mundane wizard's robes?

While normally robes and armor both take up the same slot, I have no problem with robes taking up the torso slot instead.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: October 03, 2008, 08:08:04 PM »
The way I'm fixing it is basically mixing the current VoP stat, defense, and weapon boosts and the soulmeld progression of the Incarnate, but with different flavor.  Stripping it of the class features of the Incarnate of course, so the essentia cap is the normal by level unless you take Improved Soulmeld Capacity, which actually will be a different feat.  Also eliminating the prereq feat and its status as exalted (because since when do you have to be super good to take a VoPov?).  Also, I might eliminate the Soul chakra as a bind option.  I probably will, since all of the others should be plenty to rival the wealth of the items.

What this does is it stops trying to emulate items, and provides different boosts.  So you give up the benefits of some items, and at the same time have all the basic necessities that items grant (stat, armor, weapon boosts).  You then gain the different benefits of a slightly advanced (yet also slowed) stat progression, five feats (feats at 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20, any feat you meet the prereqs of, slowed down because unrestricted bonus feats are more powerful than highly restricted ones...it's also less abusable by spellcasters using the Chaos Feat Shuffle), a smaller deflection and NA bonus to AC, the equivalent of Bracers of Armor, and whatever you decide to meld.  These grant you misc. boosts that misc. items grant you: skill boosts, attack/damage boosts, flight, detection abilities, etc.

What it would be by the numbers:

the soulmelds, essentia, and chakra binds of an Incarnate, the stat progression of VoPov, the armor progression of VoPov, the weapon progression following below, +1 deflection to AC at every multiple of 5 level, +1 NA at every multiple of 4, and feats at 1, 5, 10, 15, and 20.  I'm not so sure about the feats, primarily because it eliminates the penalty for taking the feat other than the whole "you don't have items anymore!" bit.  So I might just nix that.

Weapons: at 3 and every 2 levels afterwards (so a total of +9) you gain a +1 bonus to apply to a weapon.  It takes 24 hours to change the bonuses you have.  You can apply any weapon special ability you qualify for on it, but must still follow the +1 first rule.  To apply the bonus to two weapons you reduce the bonus each gets by 1, and this continues until 5 weapons (or +5 each), at which time all weapons are +5 (every weapon after that is a +6 weapon, so you can have 1 +9, 2 +8s, 3 +7s, 4 +6s, 5 +5s, or 6+ 5s, 7 +5s, and so on).

Personally, I think that with the feats and soul chakra bind it's a tad too powerful, but without the feats and soul chakra it's a tad underwhelming (but about on target power wise, if not a tad short).  With the soul chakra it kinda replaces the Incarnate, but not totally since they can get an essentia cap of double what these guys get.  Without the soul chakra but with the feats it's probably a tad too much, but well within reason, since I strongly believe that a feat should not allow a fighting style, only enhance it (I hate Weapon Finesse from a design stance).

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #71 on: October 03, 2008, 08:28:26 PM »

While normally robes and armor both take up the same slot, I have no problem with robes taking up the torso slot instead.
Well, I guess there isn't really anything I was going to want in the Torso slot, but I was hoping for a kind of "you can wear them, but you can't benefit from their properties", because all I wanted was to look like a wizard. Still, there are worse things to hae than a robe on top of armor, and there really arent many torso slot items I'd want. Vest of Resistance frees up shoulders for Wings of Flying, and a Tunic of Steady Spellcasting makes for an intermediate step to a Third Eye Concentrate.
I know gameology-fu.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2008, 08:26:26 AM »
Dman, I'm not familiar enough with Incarnum to know the exact implications of that, and it sounds a lot like you're basically trading a feat for half a class, some stat boosts, a floating magic weapon bonus, and the ability to change what magic items you have on a daily basis. All in exchange for a feat and not using magic items that you can't reassign.

If the Incarnate Soulmends can be used for natural attacks in addition, I can't see anyone who relies on weapons not wanting your version, ever.

I think it really needs to be toned down, I do agree that the exalted status/feat picks are stupid, so I'll drop those off. I don't like stupid things that don't amuse me.  :D

Callix, you could also pay to make the item slotless for just +50% cost.

So, for example, if you wanted a slotless Scholar's Outfit (includes robes) it would cost 7.5g instead of 5g. Consider this a special tailoring cost to allow it to fit over the armor.  ;)

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2008, 08:32:12 AM »
OK. We can only take the classes listed, right?

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2008, 08:41:19 AM »
OK. We can only take the classes listed, right?

No, but of the classes listed, the listed versions are the only ones allowed.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2008, 08:45:59 AM »
That changes things...

Tiger Unarmed Swordsage going into Tiger Claw Master OK with you (appropriate, no)? I will need to know if I retain Light Armour Profficiency because Wis to AC in light armour with no proff is just stupid, IMO.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2008, 09:09:05 AM »
That changes things...

Tiger Unarmed Swordsage going into Tiger Claw Master OK with you (appropriate, no)? I will need to know if I retain Light Armour Profficiency because Wis to AC in light armour with no proff is just stupid, IMO.

It looks like there's already going to be 2 other Tiger Monks, and 3 would be half the party...  :-\

Also, the Wis to AC would work without the armor, but you'd still lose the light armor prof (which would actually leave you with less armor than a Monk, since in the Verold changes they can wear light armor without losing any class features).

Also, did you mean Blood Claw Master PrC?

Callix

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2008, 09:12:15 AM »
I've been doing a little bookkeeping for Abenak, and it turns out that, even for a Small character, fitting adventuring gear into 19.5 pounds of weight is very, very hard. Even if the tailored robe doesn't count against encumberance, he has to choose between carrying a bedroll and taking food and water.

Basically, should I be sweating the small stuff? Either way, time to actually write out that backstory.

Also, seeing as we now hae three Tiger Monk-types, and two Raven caster-types, I hope Sneakyfeet will be able to UMD a wand of Lesser Vigor fairly soon.
I know gameology-fu.

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2008, 09:13:57 AM »
Tiger Claw now ;)

That is why I was trying to see if I can get something else instead of doing the whole Monk thing again. I am trying to not play casters because this seems to be a fairly low power campaign.

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2008, 09:19:15 AM »
I've been doing a little bookkeeping for Abenak, and it turns out that, even for a Small character, fitting adventuring gear into 19.5 pounds of weight is very, very hard. Even if the tailored robe doesn't count against encumberance, he has to choose between carrying a bedroll and taking food and water.

Basically, should I be sweating the small stuff? Either way, time to actually write out that backstory.

Also, seeing as we now hae three Tiger Monk-types, and two Raven caster-types, I hope Sneakyfeet will be able to UMD a wand of Lesser Vigor fairly soon.

Try finding appropriate gear for a Medium char with only 13 lbs for a light load... lol

And nothing worn counts against encumbrance. Though for the time being, I wouldn't worry about things like rations and bedrolls, as you'll be working within the town to begin with.

Tiger Claw now ;)

That is why I was trying to see if I can get something else instead of doing the whole Monk thing again. I am trying to not play casters because this seems to be a fairly low power campaign.

Why not look at the new Barbarian/Fighter? Or the half-casters? Hexblade/Paladin/Ranger?