Author Topic: Did you ever play Yu-Gi-Oh? Don't be shy!  (Read 10581 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Did you ever play Yu-Gi-Oh? Don't be shy!
« on: May 17, 2008, 08:17:17 PM »
Go on, no-one will say anything. I played it for a while years ago, and had great fun at tournaments (the biggest gatherings of geeks in the area at the time), even if I never won.

Oh, and because it has to be posted...
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
Re: Did you ever play Yu-Gi-Oh? Don't be shy!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 08:40:10 PM »
I played a handful of the console adaptations.  I always wanted the actual card game to be as much fun as the game on the show.  Sadly, when I tried the CCG most of the monsters had zero abilities other than ATK and DEF.  Put me off to the game.

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 08:49:49 PM »
No, but I'm a pokemon fan.  Have binders of cards that make all the neighbor kids jealous. 

I like the cards, but actually found the game extremely fun too.  Well designed for the most part and the perfect gateway for young kids.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Avedomni

• Noob
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 09:55:36 PM »
We did briefly when it first came out, which generated nostalgia for Magic (we had stopped playing years earlier) so we decided to start that back up. We never returned to Yu-Gi-Oh! after that.

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 10:10:33 PM »
I tried it, but i found it to be magic with really big numbers.
Maybe if i would have played it first.

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 11:05:24 PM »
Yeah, I played it several years back. I hack a pretty good fiend deck; it stalled until I got a battle-immune combo with Goblin King go-...

Eh, nevermind. I still have a a 1x1x0.5 foot plastic tub of cards; I could probably sell 'em all for some quick cash.
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 01:50:23 AM »
The last CCG I bought was the Simpsons CCG.  The game is not that bad but it was the game that made me realize what tools most of the proprietors of CCGs are.  They want your money and don't care about supporting you, the player.  The same goes for dreamblade, hecatomb and so on. 

Magic is something of an exception, but not very much of one. 
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 02:58:51 AM »
The last CCG I bought was the Simpsons CCG.  The game is not that bad but it was the game that made me realize what tools most of the proprietors of CCGs are.  They want your money and don't care about supporting you, the player.  The same goes for dreamblade, hecatomb and so on. 

Magic is something of an exception, but not very much of one. 
Dreamblade was kinda big, as far as CMGs went, but WotC dropped that one.  I'm big on D&D Minis though.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 07:07:50 AM »
I played it back in high school. Mainly played with my nephew, but there's a huge age difference so it wasn't too challenging. Yeah, I used to pick on little kids?  :fu

But seriously, I played because I watched the show once both reached the whole "Egyptian God Cards" thing, it just got too ridiculous... >.>
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

AlterFrom

• Donkey Kong
  • Super Special Awesome
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 12:04:02 PM »
« Last Edit: May 18, 2008, 05:23:32 PM by AlterFrom »
Siggy
[spoiler]TIRED OF TRYING TO MANAGE FILES ACROSS SEVERAL COMPUTERS? GET DROPBOX AND SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS!

xkcd. It Rocks.

Tick, tock, Tick, tock...

FYI: I lose a couple years off my life anytime I see I have a PM.

We're ALL rules lawyers here. The BEST at what we do, too. It's like a Tom Grisham novel in which everybody at the top law firm is a dirty crook, but they all know the rules so well that TECHNICALLY speaking, they aren't breaking them...:eh

[/spoiler]

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 12:07:43 PM »
"I must regain my reputation by defeating him at a children's card game ...in America!"
I love the Abridged Series :D

When I was watching the show, I just kind of let myself zone out whenver they started talking about "the heart of the cards". And that Catapult Turtle/Castle of Dark Illusions thing was just silly.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 05:12:57 PM »
My only experience is playing one of the Gameboy Advance games of it and beating it. My youngest brother likes the game though.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 05:53:53 AM »
Ridiculous? You don't know that half of it:P

I love the abridged series.  One of the funniest things. Although you really have to have watched the show to get some of it ;)
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

ShaggyShaggs

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
  • He's just this guy, you know?
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2008, 07:16:22 AM »
Played a ROM of one of the GBA games a bit.  It killed some time but I didn't get too into it.  I might've gotten a cart and played it more if I'd had some human opposition around, but playing against the CPU seemed kind of pointless.
"Your STFU N00b roll fails!"
"Crap. Can I make a saving LOL?"

"I think either we have unlimited rights, or we have no rights at all. Personally, I lean toward unlimited rights. I feel, for instance, I have the right to do anything I please; but, if I do something you don't like, I think you have the right to kill me. So where you gonna find a fairer fucking deal than that?" - George Carlin

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2008, 08:54:38 AM »
Well, some of the videogames do funny things with the rules...
My work

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2008, 09:08:05 AM »
Well, some of the videogames do funny things with the rules...
On top of really unbalanced decks.  Most of the video games give craptastic decks to all the AIs except for one or two combos that if they pull it in the beginning, it's just game ove
The cake is a lie.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 12:48:17 AM »
I played for about 2-3 years with all of the kids in my neighborhood (when I was in 7th-9th grade). I actually had way too much fun with it and I and a friend of mine made giant battle maps with 3.5 by 3.5 inch squares (large enough to fit a card turned either direction). Movement in squares was equal to the level of the monster (stars). To attack life points, you had to be in one of the five summoning zones of the player you were attacking (and by occupying those spaces you also prevented them from using it to summon). We also made ten "traps" that we shuffled and placed face-down on different spaces. Some were beneficial, some were highly penalizing. It was fun.

I love the Abridged series because it points out everything that was stupid about the show and the game that I ignored when I was younger (and, yes, I watched the show all the way up until the end of the Marik saga - and then one or two episodes after that when I woke up really early on a Saturday morning this past summer and had absolutely nothing to do).

But, yes, the game was horribly broken (and using the labyrinths made it worse as creatures that allowed you to flip to deal direct damage or that dealt damage every round weren't susceptible to being attacked [creatures that were usually good only in very defensively-oriented decks]).
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Risada

• Grape ape
  • Wearing this outfit in the name of SCIENCE!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 11:21:14 AM »
No, but I'm a pokemon fan.  Have binders of cards that make all the neighbor kids jealous. 

(sort of) Same here.... except that I still somehow "play" it (sometimes I work as a tourney's judge here and there....)

About Yu-gi-Oh!....

Well.... I played it for like 4 months IRL, then sold my cards and only played the console versions (most of the GBA ones). It's a good game, but there are times it gets the same thing way too fast...

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2008, 12:02:57 PM »
I made labyrinth rules too, but I never got to playtest them. I added lots of effects to existing monsters (Labyrinth Tank ignores 1 wall/turn, Gate Guardian can attack enemies regardless of position...)
My work

yellerSumner

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2008, 12:29:35 PM »
Labyrinth?  I've got a photocopy of the labyrinth game from the back of one of the manga. 
I'd like to try all those little games they've got in the back of the manga volumes, but I'm not buying them just for that though - yay library!

I have to be in the crowd that thought the anime was awesome and was rather disappointed by the game after having that expectation of tons of cool abilities and crazy combos.  I've got one booster pack somewhere I got for Christmas and two Celtic Guardians my friends gave me back in high school cause my friend and I were drooling over every elf we found at the time.

I've got one of the card game video games and the Dungeon Dice Monsters video game.  I would have liked to play the actual board game thing they came out with for that, but as I recall, they were trying to do "buy the mystery figure in this booster pack!" thing and that didn't fly with me.