Author Topic: Cost of maintaining the site?  (Read 7102 times)

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
Cost of maintaining the site?
« on: May 17, 2008, 07:38:04 PM »
You expressed concerns over the costs that could be incurred if a large number of users increases the bandwidth you require, and mentioned banner ads as a possible solution. I'm not really sure of the magnitude of this issue, but you are already paying for a domain name. Have you considered getting a free .tk or .co.nr domain to replace the .com and reduce costs?
My work
The tier system in a nutshell:
[spoiler]Tier 6: A cartographer.
Tier 5: An expert cartographer or a decent marksman.
Tier 4: An expert marksman.
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: Cost of maintaining the site?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 07:41:49 PM »
The cost of the .com is like $10 a year or something- well worth it in my book.

We pay for website hosting and podcast hosting as well.  That's a monthly cost.

I'm trying to figure out how to get google ads here.  I hate them, but it will help, especially if I can keep them tucked at the bottom or something. 

I signed up but can't figure out how to actually get them on this site.  Maybe the boards software has to support it?
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 07:56:42 PM »
1. Design a graphic that says "GamerZero Sucks" or "GamerZero is a total Asshat."
2. Set up a CafePress account.
3. ???
4. Profit!
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 08:00:00 PM »
I'm trying to figure out how to get google ads here.  I hate them, but it will help, especially if I can keep them tucked at the bottom or something. 

I signed up but can't figure out how to actually get them on this site.  Maybe the boards software has to support it?

They probably give you some code to insert into the page somewhere. Since you are hosting the boards yourself, support isn't really an issue - You should be able to insert it anywhere (don't try unless you know HTML). I'd just like to get a look at the settings, myself.
My work
Tier 3: An expert marksman, cartographer and chef who can tie strong knots and is trained in hostage negotiation or a marksman so good he can shoot down every bullet fired by a minigun while armed with a rusted single-shot pistol that veers to the left.
Tier 2: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything, or the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.
Tier 1: Someone with teleportation, mind control, time manipulation, intangibility, the ability to turn into an exact duplicate of anything and the ability to see into the future with perfect accuracy.[/spoiler]

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 08:21:29 PM »
If it really is possible to place it virtually anywhere, ads should not cause any problems. They can just be placed to the bottom of the page or something.

Handy Links

Prime32

• Administrator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Modding since 03/12/10
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2008, 08:27:25 PM »
If it really is possible to place it virtually anywhere, ads should not cause any problems. They can just be placed to the bottom of the page or something.
Unless the money depends on the number of clicks. Some services will get annoyed if they find out people are clicking links justto support you, rather than out of interest in the products, but Google don't press the issue, since it actually makes them a profit. :wink They are inobtrusive, and generally fit the content, but Google ads don't pay out as much as the others.
My work

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2008, 09:11:57 PM »
Ok, ads are up! 

http://brilliantgameologists.com/

On the right.  Click!!

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2008, 09:30:04 PM »
1. Design a graphic that says "GamerZero Sucks" or "GamerZero is a total Asshat."
2. Set up a CafePress account.
3. ???
4. Profit!
Print up a bunch and sell them at Gen Con!

I'm half tempted to do it myself...
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

Josh

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »
We are trying to brainstorm a subtle "protest" shirt.

My first thought was "Gleemax: Solidarity" but that might be too esoteric.  (if you don't get it it relates to unions.  Highbrow union humor kills in our demographic.)
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2008, 10:13:26 PM »
Eh, why be subtle?

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2008, 10:20:55 PM »
yeah, why not

"Gleemax: Soulless"

Tazendra

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2008, 10:42:12 PM »
Gleemax: Sucking the life out of the D&D community since 2007.

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2008, 11:11:26 PM »
K, ideas on a marketable product are being taken to the Secret Project Forum.  You must have 12 posts before you are allowed in!
« Last Edit: May 17, 2008, 11:32:08 PM by Meg »

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 12:26:19 AM »
Oh dear.  Should I spam to get in or not? :smirk
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken

Meg

• Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 12:35:17 AM »
Oh dear.  Should I spam to get in or not? :smirk

No.  No need  :flirt

clarkcd

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Da Man
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 12:37:09 AM »
Though I would have done an excellent job of spamming I appreciate no longer needing to. :)
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." ~ Ben Franklin

Grade 'A' pain in the neck arrogance brought to you by Da Man.

Da Man Has Spoken

Josh

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 01:15:37 AM »
Eh, why be subtle?
Because I want everyone but G0 to know he is being made fun of.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 02:59:15 AM »
Who cares if he knows people are making fun of him?

I think it's better if he knows, but that's just me...

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 07:28:35 AM »
You could also ask for donations from members.  I occasionally get some extra money from a web job.  Its not steady work, but I might be able to do something every now and again.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 05:40:19 PM »
Eh, why be subtle?
Because I want everyone but G0 to know he is being made fun of.

4Chan can probably think something up for us.

[spoiler][/spoiler]