Author Topic: Looking for a new setting for 3.5  (Read 5378 times)

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
Re: Looking for a new setting for 3.5
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2008, 05:33:45 AM »
Maybe if you told us what you're after?  What are your requirements in a setting?  What kind of game do you like to play?
+1

Suggestions / Opinions
1.  This is gonna sound odd in a way but Have you read the Tome series? I'm not in love with the mechanics they suggest but I love the world view they present. Basically just as a campaign setting its brilliantly thought out.
2. You could also set it in a 4.0 style world. Use 3.5 take the 4.0 points of light idea, run with it. I once sat down with my group started talking and made a homebrew that was exactly like that before 4th came out.
3.  Consider, sitting down with your group and talking about a homebrew that would have all the palettable elements you'll enjoy.

4. The Rokugon setting (since it's easily the best D&D setting objectively) lol

Facts.
1. Faerun was 3.5 before it was all said and done
2. The players handbook setting ... Is not greyhawk, (FYI). (despite the use of some of its gods)
3. There was a setting called the "Kindoms of Kalamak" which apparently was a little known side venture of D&D but it was "Official" or at least it carried the logo.
4. Sadly, for 3.5 ongoing support, the Pathfinder books will be the place where you'll find the most adventures and have the least work. (They did make Dragon magazine after all.)
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2008, 06:38:22 AM »
I know that Greyhawk is represented in the core books... but certainly not enough to provide an actual setting. I just assumed they had Greyhawk setting specifc books out there, like they do for the Realms or Eberron. Are you saying they don't actually have anything like that for 3.5?  :o

I know they made a few sourcebooks, but I don't remember if they released a main campaign book or not...
No, I don't think they did.  If I remember correctly, the 3.5 edition of Greyhawk was done mostly through the RPGA's Living Greyhawk campaign.
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Akalsaris

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2008, 09:47:33 AM »
As an earlier posted mentioned, doing your own post-apocalyptic FR campaign is also fun.

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2008, 11:25:22 AM »
As an earlier posted mentioned, doing your own post-apocalyptic FR campaign is also fun.

Just watch out for Lich-minster!   :jawdrop
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Chemus

• Donkey Kong
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 10:00:18 PM »
Yeah, he's made of cheese and lose. He sucks the life out of any character who has the temerity to cross/gain the attention of his (former) women.

On topic, and mentioned before, how about forgotten realms homebrew? Just take the parts you like, kill all the Epic heroes, and have fun. Lotsa material and cheesy backstory to choose from... :)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 10:02:34 PM by Chemus »
*waves hand* This is not the sig you're looking for...
The freely downloadable and searchable 3.5 SRD I prefer (Web)
Camlen, Enniwey

ImperiousLeader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #25 on: September 05, 2008, 02:45:39 PM »
I'm not a fan of Pathfinder, the RPG, but the world Paizo is using for their Pathfinder material, Golarion, is interesting. Not earthshakingly different, but I kinda like the human cultural differences. It's in their new APs, Rise of the Runelords and such.

Shadowhowler

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: September 08, 2008, 10:17:57 PM »
On topic, and mentioned before, how about forgotten realms homebrew? Just take the parts you like, kill all the Epic heroes, and have fun. Lotsa material and cheesy backstory to choose from... :)

This is what I and my group did for 15 years with AD&D 2e and 2.5. Since I'm planing my first 3.5 game, I was just wondering if there was a better way to go... I keep hearing about all these new settings, so I wanted to get peoples take on them.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2008, 04:48:21 PM »
I have always homebrewed my settings, finding that its relatively easy to draw up a quick map, design the current city or area, and populate it. That being said, you can take a forgotten realms book, tweak a few things, rename a few things, and you're ready to go.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.