Author Topic: GenCon Indy '08 Min/Max Meetup  (Read 24018 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Re: GenCon Indy '08 Meetup
« Reply #60 on: June 13, 2008, 01:32:00 AM »
No, not necessarily.  Just the places that are within very close walking distance.  We went to this German brewery place which was about a 15 minute walk and no one from the con was there. 
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: June 13, 2008, 11:48:01 AM »
How many geeks want to walk for more than two minutes?

On a more serious note, I say Embassy meet up.  It's easiest to do, and easiest to find.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Redeemer of Ogar

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • My wife's art page:
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: June 13, 2008, 01:32:46 PM »
No, not necessarily.  Just the places that are within very close walking distance.  We went to this German brewery place which was about a 15 minute walk and no one from the con was there. 

Ah, fair enough.  I rarely get outside Very Close as my wife has hip problems. The last couple years though we've been bringing her wheelchair so I could probably get away with that now.  ;)

Apekollapsen

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #63 on: June 13, 2008, 05:41:38 PM »
Bummer, I'm too young to go alone! Sixteen is such a depressing age...

So true. See you in a couple of years kid. :P

Dragon Snack

• Curious George
    • Dragon Snack Games and Entertainment
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2008, 01:15:36 AM »
It's funny how things work out though.  I remember one year (not last year, obviously) when we were able to walk right into the RAM and get a seat (for a group of about 8 ).  Timing is probably very important...

edit: stupid smilie sneaking into my post...
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 08:04:43 PM by Dragon Snack »
Visit my Message Boards (they're strangely familiar) and my Blog...

If you look at the entire history of the RPG industry, you'll see the same, long, sad story: a mountain of conventional wisdom, usually backed by selective listening, that leads to a long chain of failed games and bad ideas. - Mike Mearls

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2008, 03:42:15 AM »
Gentlemen - lock up your women and booze.  Ladies - c'mon out with the booze.

PI is going to GenCon... :)

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2008, 02:59:51 PM »
 :cheers

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2008, 03:49:45 PM »

The key is actually flexibility.  Even the big places are not always busy. 

Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

chibishuffle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • the ultimate chibi
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: June 15, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
I myself am staying at the westin we can meet in the skybridge that connects the westin to the convention center :)  Also my IM is emeraldhanael
There is a difference between being uninformed and being stupid.  When presented with conflicting information the uninformed man admits he's wrong and takes it in stride he may even be happy to find the truth.  The stupid man will rant and rave despite the fact he is obviously wrong.  Dont be stupid

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2008, 02:07:56 PM »
umm how far in advance do you think people should reserve rooms?

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2008, 05:05:17 PM »
Hilton Garden Inn, about 4 blocks away.

EntropicShadow

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Doth thou desire power?
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2008, 05:24:23 PM »
I will be going to GenCon as well.
'Cause I'm a bit part demon, a small-time misfit
I say you'll be "Dead by Dawn" but I don't really mean it.
I'm a threat to no one. The other deadites make fun...
You suck!
Of me, Evil Eddy,the bit part demon

chibishuffle

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • the ultimate chibi
    • Email
Re: GenCon Indy '08 Min/Max Meetup
« Reply #72 on: June 16, 2008, 05:40:10 PM »
Cryocloud let me put it to you this way the guy Im sharing a room with booked his a month after last years gen con  :smirk to my knowledge there aren't any rooms left in the area, I could be wrong. 

Does anyone know if Dictuum Mortuum or surreal will be there??
There is a difference between being uninformed and being stupid.  When presented with conflicting information the uninformed man admits he's wrong and takes it in stride he may even be happy to find the truth.  The stupid man will rant and rave despite the fact he is obviously wrong.  Dont be stupid

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2008, 06:46:07 PM »
The regular block housing opened up in Feb and was sold out for the most part within an hour or so.  It's incredibly frustrating.

At this point, look for something not in the block or to share with someone.  Or go on the waitlist. 

Cyrocloud

• Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2008, 06:56:46 PM »
hmmm....crap.  I guess I got to either cut a few friends out and stay with my cousin for the weekend (he lives some where in/near the city) or realy start looking for places.  Do you have to 18 at the time you reserve the room or just by the time you need it?

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: June 16, 2008, 11:09:39 PM »
hmmm....crap.  I guess I got to either cut a few friends out and stay with my cousin for the weekend (he lives some where in/near the city) or realy start looking for places.  Do you have to 18 at the time you reserve the room or just by the time you need it?
I do not know, but hotels are businesses that only make money when people go there.  Usually they can figure things out.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

TheChrisWaits

• Honorary Moderator
  • Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: June 17, 2008, 04:20:47 PM »
With a lot of hotels, you can't check into a room if under 21. I got around this when I was 18 by having the room be in my parents' name and making special arrangements with the hotel.

So pretty much, I'd advise calling and asking. As Josh said, they want your money and will try their best to let you give it to them.

benbalestra

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #77 on: June 18, 2008, 12:13:20 PM »
I live in Indy... The space, city, and people here are much better than in Milwaukee, IMO (haven't seen church nuts protesting once down here).

Yes, but Milwaukee when out of it way to get rid of the panhandelers.  So in regards to the city, IMHO, it six of one half a dozen of the other.

But when it's in my own backyard it's just not the same... Plus I really, really miss an excuse to go the Safehouse.

I have heard that there is a new Safehouse in Indy, but it might have been set up just for Gencon and only be open then.  I have not be able to confirm this.

Ben
-------------------------------------
Host of Games You May Never Have Heard Of
Part of the All Games Considered Podcast

EjoThims

• Grape ape
  • The Ferret
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2008, 08:57:36 PM »
Yes, but Milwaukee when out of it way to get rid of the panhandelers.  So in regards to the city, IMHO, it six of one half a dozen of the other.

Our mall and food court also stays open past 7 on Saturdays.  ;)

I have heard that there is a new Safehouse in Indy, but it might have been set up just for Gencon and only be open then.  I have not be able to confirm this.

Ben

I am intrigued by this information and would like to subscribe to the relevant newsletters...

benbalestra

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2008, 09:42:58 PM »
  Or go on the waitlist. 

I am starting to wonder if the waiting list is even real.

The day of hotel registration my company sent me out of town (for only the second time in the history I worked there).  I knew in advance and my mother said she would register for me.  I gave her all the necessary information, set up her computer to go to the pace and even left it on the page with the pass word entered, all she had to do was press enter.  My mother is one of those people that if the information is not requested in the order she thinks it should be requested in she cannot deal with it.  It took here 45 minutes to enter the information for registion.  Needless to say I did not get the hotel I wanted, or any other down town hotel (or for that matter any hotel).  She did feel bad about it can when as far as to call the convention center to see why it did not work for her (most other system when you start the regestration process the rooms you requested are resered then, and only released if you don't complete, appearenlty Gencon is not that way).  They said there was nothing they could no, but here is a waiting list and there are only about 10 people on it ahead of me.  I am starting to believe they only said that to playcate my mother.

Ben
-------------------------------------
Host of Games You May Never Have Heard Of
Part of the All Games Considered Podcast