Author Topic: MtG : favorite combo/synergy  (Read 43804 times)

DarkSun2012

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
MtG : favorite combo/synergy
« on: May 17, 2008, 05:19:41 PM »
I was asked to start some magic discussion so here it is! :)
I'm new here and I understand this is a D&D forum and most people here probably don't play competitive magic, so we'll keep this pretty casual.  Basically, what are your favorite card interactions.  Two or more cards that do something you really like when put together.
For me it would be :
astral slide + eternal witness, which allows you to reuse pretty much anything in your graveyard as often as you have cycling cards.
A more casual one (well... one that I use a lot in limited) would be moonglove changeling + Thornbite Staff which allows me to kill pretty much all of my opponent's creatures.

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
Re: MtG : favorite combo/synergy
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 10:14:52 PM »
My favorite combo was, Souls of the faultless and entangler.
no one ever attacks

BoSheck

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 10:17:21 PM »
My personal favorite (casual play...so not a lot of banhammers flying around) was Chronotog + Smokestack or Braids.

DarkSun2012

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 04:59:32 AM »
My favorite combo was, Souls of the faultless and entangler.
no one ever attacks
Do you use this in mutliplayer or duel?  In mutliplayer, I would see why no one dares to attack (hoping the other players will do it instead.)  In duels, the best choice is to just attack with enough to kill souls of the faultless.
Sorry if I'm taking this too seriously! :)

My personal favorite (casual play...so not a lot of banhammers flying around) was Chronotog + Smokestack or Braids.
I always found comboes that included chronatog (or other "skip your next turn" cards) fun.  Skipping your turn is probably one of the worst drawback in magic, so making it actually good just makes me smile. :)

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 05:09:30 AM »
Well seeing as how i can have 4 of each, even if they do attack with all, i have 1 block all, they loose like 40 life and i gain 40 life sounds good to me.

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 01:00:04 PM »
I stopped collecting at around exodus, so my knowledge of the newer cards is non-existent.

Still, I loved playing blue control decks. Nothing beats the thrill of slowly but surely capsizing all your opponent's permanents back to his hand (it was funny when I ended up countering his attempts at incinerating his own creatures in a bid to fizzle my buyback spells), while having a hand full of counterspells. Forbid means that I am never without a counterspell, while ophidian/whispers of the muse lets me draw extra cards to fuel my counter-frenzy.

Favourite card interaction? Nature's revolt + Pendrell Mists + Propaganda. All land are creatures, you must pay 1 mana per creature during upkeep or bury it. And you cannot attack unless you pay 2 mana per attacking creature. Meanwhile, I have artifact mana in play, so I eventually win by attacking with a single animated land.

Probably primitive by today's standards, but "revolting mists" was quite fun in its heyday. :)
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

DarkSun2012

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 03:50:53 PM »
Well seeing as how i can have 4 of each, even if they do attack with all, i have 1 block all, they loose like 40 life and i gain 40 life sounds good to me.
Yes, as I said, you attack with just enough to kill it, not with all you've got! ;)

Favourite card interaction? Nature's revolt + Pendrell Mists + Propaganda. All land are creatures, you must pay 1 mana per creature during upkeep or bury it. And you cannot attack unless you pay 2 mana per attacking creature. Meanwhile, I have artifact mana in play, so I eventually win by attacking with a single animated land.
Now that's just mean! :)

ninjarabbit

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 06:03:23 PM »
Man I haven't played MtG in years but I did like white life gaining decks, white/green Ammegedon decks, and stupid theme decks like zombie decks, monkey decks, and orc decks.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 07:49:18 PM »
One of the more fun ones I had (blue/black creatureless deck from a while ago) was Soul Barrier + Propoganda + Vile Consumption + Breathstealer's Crypt. As long as you could keep enchantment destruction off of the table, it would keep the board clear of every creature out there, and usually kill your enemy as well. If you're feeling like overdoing it, throw in Aether Storm as well.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

DarkSun2012

• Monkey bussiness
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2008, 04:51:05 PM »
One of the more fun ones I had (blue/black creatureless deck from a while ago) was Soul Barrier + Propoganda + Vile Consumption + Breathstealer's Crypt. As long as you could keep enchantment destruction off of the table, it would keep the board clear of every creature out there, and usually kill your enemy as well. If you're feeling like overdoing it, throw in Aether Storm as well.
Reminds me of a deck one of my friends made.  He basically made a creatureless blue deck with all of the most annoying enchantments he could find.  I must admit, reading your post, he could probably benefit from a small black splash!

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2008, 04:59:34 PM »
That's more or less what that deck was. I think there was also a War Tax floating around for when Propaganda wasn't cutting it.

A combo I didn't use in there, but works if you're feeling brutal, is Pillar Tombs of Aku and Capsize. Opponent loses a creature every turn, or takes 5 damage to kill the enchantment. You take nothing.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2008, 07:49:27 PM »
Animate Land + Extinction = game over IF you do it fast enough (Dark Rituals, mana elves, Sol Ring, Black Lotus, etc., helps...)

DetectiveJabsco

• Bi-Curious George
  • Here's To Life
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2008, 08:25:01 PM »
Yes, as I said, you attack with just enough to kill it, not with all you've got! ;)

Why would i block with it, for only 4 damage, combo block or let it through.

AlienFromBeyond

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2008, 01:14:09 AM »
Currently I'm taking a liking to the simple Painter's Servant + Grindstone combo. Making mill a viable kill condition, using Grindstone of all things, makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

Sinfire Titan

• Organ Grinder
  • You've got one round to give a rat's ass.
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2008, 11:43:44 PM »
The entire Mind's Desire deck. I hate MaRo with my flaming shit of doom, but I loved that one card to death.

[spoiler][/spoiler]

Elephant Jack

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2008, 09:36:50 AM »
Mh... there are several Combos I really like:
Stasis + Root Maze + Chronatog OR Forsaken City
Auriok Salvagers + Lion's Eye Diamond

Synergies?
Parallax Tide + Ankh of Mishra
The entire Pox-Deck (Pox + LD + hand disruption + The Rack + stuff)
Lightning Rift + Astral Slide + cheap cycling cards
Cycling lands + Life from the Loam (really potent draw engine)
+Many many more

EJ

Runestar

• King Kong
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2008, 03:44:01 AM »
Verdant force + overrun.

With green's mana producing capabilities, it was not unusual to crank out a 8-man, 7/7 meanie by the 3rd or 4th turn. Load up on 1/1 saproling tokens, then double-overrun to ...well...overrun your opponent with 7/7 tramplers.

Not particularly efficient, but the look on his face when you smack him for hundreds of damage... :lol
A clear conscience is the surest sign of a failing memory.

Archmage Joda

• Bi-Curious George
  • Parenchaaaaaaaaaannn!!!
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2008, 02:33:23 PM »
I've always been partial to Raven Guildmaster + Invisibility/Crafty Pathmage. Just make Raven unblockable, and cause the opponent to deck out (Raven Guildmaster removes the top ten cards in the opponent deck from play when he deals damage), and keep something like Isochron Scepter + Counterspell (another favorite of mine) handy for countering.
"My advanced brain is far too meaty to be swayed. Plus, it's practically dripping with genius sauce made from a special recipe of 11 herbs and spices" - Black Mage

mace_of_sauron

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Of old he was an elven king...
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2008, 05:43:02 PM »
The new Shadowmoore abilities yield awsome combos. My personal favorite is the new untap ability. Recently I enchanted Pili-Pala with Presence of Gond and could spit out a good half a dozen 1/1 elves a turn.

Callix

• Donkey Kong
  • Not cool enough for a custom title.
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2008, 09:55:58 AM »
Personally, I'm very fond of the Merfolk mill deck. Between Fallowsage, Merrow Reejereys and Stonybrook Bannerets, I can play my creatures for no net mana and draw one or more cards. Add Drowner of Secrets, and your opponent's library goes bye-bye very quickly. Judge of Currents keeps you in the game in the meantime.

I just love it when I can out-lifegain aggro, and beat them without ever attacking or blocking. With a creature deck.
I know gameology-fu.