Author Topic: For the love of phallic swords! [PrC]  (Read 13534 times)

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
Re: For the love of phallic swords! [PrC]
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »
Well, this Strongarm stance is perhaps the thing I like the least. Do you see Guts from Berserk stand around not moving while wielding his Dragonslayer? NO. He actually uses that thing like a lance, sometimes.
If this were Exalted you could add a requirement of "must make an awesome stunt every round he wishes to use a strike from Strongarm warrior", instead of standing still.

Smudgy's character has 31Str at ECL10, without items or inherent bonuses, so he won't need it at all. (He'll easily have 35 Str by the time he reaches lvl 5 of the class.) Due to that I'll probably not care about it either the original way or the second way, but it sort of spoils the purpose for some characters.

I do agree with Nox, though. It IS crazy powerful. Smudgy's IL will never be that high, because he might end up with around 10 non-initiator levels (8 dragon HD, 2 Fighter levels), and he's already got two dips in initiator classes in addition to that, IIRC. But still, even being able to get a +12- +14 enhancement to Str just by standing still is pretty neat. He'd end up with around 54 Str at lvl 20, then. He'll be adding up to 2.5 times his Str. mod to melee attacks due to four-handed wielding of his weapon. He should probably be large and wield a gargantuan glaive. I don't even want to calculate the damage on a dungeoncrash.... He'll just be playing baseball with people - as balls.

I don't see it as completely over the top by Lvl 20, seeing what casters can do by that time, but it'll just be really hard to give the BBEGs enough hitpoints or other defensive measures to survive the first round.

From that point of view I'll have to think about the stance. On the other hand, only being able to move five feet is tough, too. After the first bad guy gets punted to kingdom come the others will really think about getting close.

This is what a dwarfen defender should have been like... :D.

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
  • Chaotic Evil and loving it.
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2008, 02:57:47 PM »
That's crazy-powerful. That's a +20 enhancement bonus at 20th (compared to the usual +6 enhancement bonus item). Net gain: +14 strength (10 extra damage with a 2-handed weapon per hit, +7 attack).

I was just throwing an idea. Half that number would be better, but its the only way I found to make it an interesting ability.

I've always felt like that, in homebrew, you're better off proposing overpowered ideas and then nerf them than throwing extremely lame concept which nobody will care about.

My imagination sucks right now. :'(

Well, this Strongarm stance is perhaps the thing I like the least. Do you see Guts from Berserk stand around not moving while wielding his Dragonslayer? NO. He actually uses that thing like a lance, sometimes.
If this were Exalted you could add a requirement of "must make an awesome stunt every round he wishes to use a strike from Strongarm warrior", instead of standing still.

Smudgy's character has 31Str at ECL10, without items or inherent bonuses, so he won't need it at all. (He'll easily have 35 Str by the time he reaches lvl 5 of the class.) Due to that I'll probably not care about it either the original way or the second way, but it sort of spoils the purpose for some characters.

I do agree with Nox, though. It IS crazy powerful. Smudgy's IL will never be that high, because he might end up with around 10 non-initiator levels (8 dragon HD, 2 Fighter levels), and he's already got two dips in initiator classes in addition to that, IIRC. But still, even being able to get a +12- +14 enhancement to Str just by standing still is pretty neat. He'd end up with around 54 Str at lvl 20, then. He'll be adding up to 2.5 times his Str. mod to melee attacks due to four-handed wielding of his weapon. He should probably be large and wield a gargantuan glaive. I don't even want to calculate the damage on a dungeoncrash.... He'll just be playing baseball with people - as balls.

I don't see it as completely over the top by Lvl 20, seeing what casters can do by that time, but it'll just be really hard to give the BBEGs enough hitpoints or other defensive measures to survive the first round.

From that point of view I'll have to think about the stance. On the other hand, only being able to move five feet is tough, too. After the first bad guy gets punted to kingdom come the others will really think about getting close.

This is what a dwarfen defender should have been like... :D.

Is Berserk

1) A manga?

and

2) Good enough to be read from start to finish?

EDIT: Better that way?

Strongarm Stance:
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 03:49:42 PM by Guyr Adamantine »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2008, 04:51:52 PM »
1) Yes

2) YES, unfortunately it's NOT finished even after almost 300 chapters.

About the stance:
You want that bonus to Str to count as an enhancement bonus or not? If it's not, then it's just as bad as adding full level as an enhancement bonus (not quite, but almost).

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2008, 07:00:38 PM »
About the stance:
You want that bonus to Str to count as an enhancement bonus or not? If it's not, then it's just as bad as adding full level as an enhancement bonus (not quite, but almost).

Not an enhancement bonus, yeah. At least it scales a lot slower? :-[

AstralFire

• Bi-Curious George
  • Up the Ante
    • The Anteheroes
« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2008, 07:10:38 PM »
I'd make it an enhancement bonus. Not having to spend 36,000 GP on items + having four points over the item cap is still nice.

The Discussion Thread - Help!
Current Project: The Anteheroes System: 2nd Edition, a quick and tactical modern fantasy system.

Better to be stupid and humble than smart and arrogant. A humble man can change and improve. An arrogant man won't.

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2008, 08:40:44 PM »
Ok, its an enhancement bonus now.

EDIT: I realise the silliness of Strongarm Stance (The Strength prerequisite, to be precise), and I wonder:

If I remove the prerequisite part, but keep the Strength Bonus (Half Initiator level, enhancement), would the earth blow up?

EDIT2: I had this idea, and I wondered what you might think of it. If I mixed Strongarm Stance and Gorilla grip, the class would be less gimped, and follow a more traditional mould.

Strongarm Stance: You have learned to use the iconic power of the Strongarm Warriors. Your strength may be decupled in an instant and no blade, as large as it can be, can elude your grasp.
The Strongarm Stance lets you add half your intiator level to your Strength score as an enhancement bonus.
Aditionally, as you gain level, you gain further control over larger weapons while under the Strongarm Stance. At 1st level, your penalty to attack rolls when using a weapon one size category larger than yourself is negated. You may use a weapon two size categories larger than you at a -2 penalty.
A weapon two size categories larger than you may be used as a reach weapon, but does not prevent you from attacking foes adjacent to you.
At 3rd level, you suffer no penalties to your attack rolls when wielding weapons two size categories larger than you.
At 5th level, you may treat any two-handed weapon as a one-handed weapon (or vice-versa) whenever doing so is advantageous to you. For example, you may wield a Longsword or a Greatsword as a two-handed weapon for the purpose of determining strength bonus to damage and modifiers to disarm rolls, but as a one-handed weapon in order to wield a second in your off-hand.
When in the Strongarm Stance, you may not move more than 5 feet each round, or else you lose its benefits until the beginning of your next turn.

I would probably add a feat that lets the player be in the Strongarm Stance permanently, without blocking other Stances. That feat would have a huge Strength prerequisite, though.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 03:18:11 AM by Guyr Adamantine »

AstralFire

• Bi-Curious George
  • Up the Ante
    • The Anteheroes
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 07:10:24 PM »
That seems like a good idea to me. I would leave the multiple stance thing to Master of Nine, though.

The Discussion Thread - Help!
Current Project: The Anteheroes System: 2nd Edition, a quick and tactical modern fantasy system.

Better to be stupid and humble than smart and arrogant. A humble man can change and improve. An arrogant man won't.

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2008, 12:30:43 AM »
While I agree it might be better to leave multiples stances to the Warblade/Mo9, the Strongarm Stance will probably be activated most of the time, as doing otherwise kinda screw the huge sword-using player. With a "If you got a * Strength score, you are always under the effects of the Strongarm Stance" clause, it could be a bit better.

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2008, 05:37:56 AM »
Well I wouldn't let it all hang on one stance. If Smudgy wants the class I'll probably have him take the last but one revision, where you get +1/2 Str enhancement, and need 20+2*level for the abilities.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
  • Dulce et decorum est pro alea mori.
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2008, 06:00:10 AM »
Well I wouldn't let it all hang on one stance. If Smudgy wants the class I'll probably have him take the last but one revision, where you get +1/2 Str enhancement, and need 20+2*level for the abilities.
Thats whats killing me. I saw this on 2 boards and it that "where you get +1/2 Str enhancement, and need 20+2*level for the abilities" I'm like "W...T..H...
You've never seen berserk?

I think that that line should be removed from the class. Aside from that I like the Prc.
I like the sheild bit. I dislike the "stone dragon imboility" terrible stuff.
I like the idea that someone posted of using that anime sword as a shiled/lance... and I add, Sled/Skateboard.
Over all though you screwed me out of a new keyboard when I read "gorilla grip" bills in the mail Guy!
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 07:28:50 AM »
Thats whats killing me. I saw this on 2 boards and it that "where you get +1/2 Str enhancement, and need 20+2*level for the abilities" I'm like "W...T..H...

I think that that line should be removed from the class. Aside from that I like the Prc.
I like the idea that someone posted of using that anime sword as a shiled/lance... and I add, Sled/Skateboard.
Over all though you screwed me out of a new keyboard when I read "gorilla grip" bills in the mail Guy!

Uh, mate, you might want to lay off the adrenaline, some :).

Look, I brought up Berserk. I said that about using the dragonslayer as a lance. (The beach vs. the giant whalefants? Pure awesome charging right through the critters head.) And I also said that I want it to be so that anyone actually strong enough doesn't need to stand still.

But IF you have a chance to stand still, then why not get a bonus for it? So the stance should give a bonus, but not be absolutely necessary. (Remember the 100man fight towards the end of the golden age.)

Ok, I have to go along the anime line:

How about going 10 levels after all? I can think about some more abilities (All Guts-fu.)

Lvl 6: Swatting the Flies (passive ability)- you can hit swarms with the broad side of your oversized weapon for full damage. (Lost children arc)

Lvl 7: Hit 'em as they come - you gain "Hold the Line" as a bonus feat (Lost children arc, fight with Roshinu)

Lvl 8: Sharp Wall 3: While in Strongarm stance you may use a weapon two size categories larger than you as a Tower Shield that grants you cover. This does not give a penalty to attack rolls, unlike a real tower-shield.

Lvl 9: Sundering Cleave (passive ability)- even if your weapon is too large to be used in confined quarters you can still use it - just destroy the environment, don't give in to it. Whenever you are in confined quarters you can use any melee attack or strike first against the confining object or objects and then cleave through to your opponent with the same strike or melee attack. Your strike ignores the hardness of any inanimate object you wish to strike through. Also works for striking through doors or walls at opponents behind them. (Fight with Serpico in the cellar with pillars) You may also use an oversized weapon while being swallowed, whole.

Lvl 10: Penetrating charge (strike, full-round) - you can charge straight through an opponent at least wo size categories larger than you. You deal triple damage and the opponent takes 2d6 Con damage upon a failed Fort save. After penetrating you can make a second attack at an opponent behind the penetrated target. The second attack can be a charge but cannot be a full-attack or a strike, even if you have the ability to do a full-attack on a charge.

I'm not sure about the order.

I even have more, perhaps epic?

Cut 'em in half: Like Vorpal, except you cut enemies of at least your size, and at most one category larger than your weapon, completely in half on a natural 20. This has appropriate effects, and also works on opponents that are otherwise immune to fort-saves. Doesn't work on swarms.

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 07:38:31 AM »
Uh, mate, you might want to lay off the adrenaline, some

What do you mean? :eh
\\\"Disentegrate.\\\" \\\"Gust of wind.\\\" \\\"Now Can we PLEASE resume saving the world?\\\"

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 11:20:12 AM »

I removed that line already. Its gonna be alright.

Quote from: Midnight_V

Good! I already removed the "Max 5ft Movement" clause, as some already pointed me on another board the futility of it.

Quote from: Brainpiercing
*snip*

But IF you have a chance to stand still, then why not get a bonus for it? So the stance should give a bonus, but not be absolutely necessary. (Remember the 100man fight towards the end of the golden age.)

So... I bring back Gorilla Grip?

Quote from: Brainpiercing
Ok, I have to go along the anime line:

How about going 10 levels after all? I can think about some more abilities (All Guts-fu.)

Lvl 6: Swatting the Flies (passive ability)- you can hit swarms with the broad side of your oversized weapon for full damage. (Lost children arc)

Lvl 7: Hit 'em as they come - you gain "Hold the Line" as a bonus feat (Lost children arc, fight with Roshinu)

Lvl 8: Sharp Wall 3: While in Strongarm stance you may use a weapon two size categories larger than you as a Tower Shield that grants you cover. This does not give a penalty to attack rolls, unlike a real tower-shield.

Lvl 9: Sundering Cleave (passive ability)- even if your weapon is too large to be used in confined quarters you can still use it - just destroy the environment, don't give in to it. Whenever you are in confined quarters you can use any melee attack or strike first against the confining object or objects and then cleave through to your opponent with the same strike or melee attack. Your strike ignores the hardness of any inanimate object you wish to strike through. Also works for striking through doors or walls at opponents behind them. (Fight with Serpico in the cellar with pillars) You may also use an oversized weapon while being swallowed, whole.

Lvl 10: Penetrating charge (strike, full-round) - you can charge straight through an opponent at least wo size categories larger than you. You deal triple damage and the opponent takes 2d6 Con damage upon a failed Fort save. After penetrating you can make a second attack at an opponent behind the penetrated target. The second attack can be a charge but cannot be a full-attack or a strike, even if you have the ability to do a full-attack on a charge.

I'm not sure about the order.

I even have more, perhaps epic?

Cut 'em in half: Like Vorpal, except you cut enemies of at least your size, and at most one category larger than your weapon, completely in half on a natural 20. This has appropriate effects, and also works on opponents that are otherwise immune to fort-saves. Doesn't work on swarms.

I made it a 5 level PrC because I had only a few class features in mind. If we refine those, I'd be glad to add them. (And some others as well!)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 11:22:34 AM by Guyr Adamantine »

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2008, 11:30:43 AM »
You might not call it "Gorilla" grip. How about "Iron Grip"? But I prefer this feature over giving the stance the benefit to use the huge weapons. I don't want people suddenly gimped because they can't use the stance for any reason.

Well, give my suggestions a thought. Sundering Cleave is the only one I think that's not quite in the right place. It's not a huge benefit, and it comes too late. But we have no other empty levels, unless we put hat in 6th, and moved everything else up one.

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2008, 11:38:22 AM »
You might not call it "Gorilla" grip. How about "Iron Grip"? But I prefer this feature over giving the stance the benefit to use the huge weapons. I don't want people suddenly gimped because they can't use the stance for any reason.

Well, the feat is called Monkey grip, after all. Its only the logical evolution.

Also, iron is overrated. :P

Well, give my suggestions a thought. Sundering Cleave is the only one I think that's not quite in the right place. It's not a huge benefit, and it comes too late. But we have no other empty levels, unless we put hat in 6th, and moved everything else up one.

I am considering adding more levels, and will use some of those abilities.

I'd like to see some from the others, too.

EDIT: Lets see what we keep or change.

Swatting the Flies: Your weapon is massive enough to bludgeon ennemies to death, and is a bane smaller creatures. When you use a weapon one size larger than you, you may initiate a bull rush against creatures two size smaller than you as part of the attack. You do not have to enter its space. The creature is pushed five feet back for every 10 pts of damage your attack dealt, miminum five feet. When using a weapon two size categories larger than you, you may use this ability against creatures one size category smaller than you.
You may now choose to deal Bludgeoning damage with any two handed weapon instead of its normal damage type, without any penalty.
When hitting a swarm with an oversized weapon, you deal normal damage.

Its gonna be called Hold the Line, unless it grants another snappy power.

If it does not, then we need another level 7 class feature to couple it with. Boring bonus feats are for fighters.

Sharp Wall:

Beside the Swallow Whole part, I don't like the looks of it. I don't even know if the D&D physics take your weapon's size into account when cramped. It just isn't needed.

EDITEXMACHINA: I got an idea to simulate the cumbersome big swords. When you wield a weapon two size categories larger than you, you need to have all your adjacent squares free to attack normally.

With Sundering Cleave, you could damage adjacent foes and objects as part of the attacks.

I might need another guy to help me look at this. I'm all in for costum strikes, but I try to keep the abilities as passive as possible.

This I like. Vorpal on all Big Swords!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 02:05:38 PM by Guyr Adamantine »

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2008, 02:18:01 PM »
I was browsing the Interweb for info on Berserker, when I found that pic.

Must. Read. Berserker... Now.

EDIT: Present ability layout.

Level 1: Gorilla grip and Stylish Flurry. I'm getting rid of the Strongarm Stance entirely, and extend Gorilla grip's granted powers to a ten level template.
Level 2: Momentum. Its a good power, and is worth its level.
Level 3: Sharp Wall. I will use the new version I posted above.
Level 4: Hold the Line. I need another power with it.
Level 5: The Will to Cut. Feels better at a higher level.
Level 6: Swatting the Flies. need feedback both on the level and new description.
Level 7: A Hot Knife Through butter. Feels better at a higher level.
Level 8: Sundering Cleave. We'll see how it goes with modifications.
Level 9: Penetrating Charge. Maybe. I need something more likely to happen.
Level 10: Cut 'em in Half. The only modifications to add would be that all creatures whose anatomy isn't screwed by being cut in two are immune to it, as oozes and swarms, and that it only works when using PA.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 04:00:31 PM by Guyr Adamantine »

Midnight_v

• Organ Grinder
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »
Gorilla grip- the name! Hell yeah.

Guyr Adamantine

• Donkey Kong
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2008, 09:58:58 PM »
Gorilla Grip: You have learned to use the iconic power of the Strongarm Warriors. Your strength is unequalled and no blade, as large as it can be, can elude your grasp. At 1st level, your penalty to attack rolls when using a weapon one size category larger than yourself is negated. You may use a weapon two size categories larger than you at a -2 penalty.
A weapon two size categories larger than you may be used as a reach weapon, but does not prevent you from attacking foes adjacent to you. To wield it properly, a Warrior needs more space. He is considered taking the space of a creature one size category larger on the battlefield. If he has to squeeze, he may not attack at all.
At 3rd level, you suffer no penalties to your attack rolls when wielding weapons two size categories larger than you.
At 5th level, you may treat any two-handed weapon as a one-handed weapon (or vice-versa) whenever doing so is advantageous to you. For example, you may wield a Longsword or a Greatsword as a two-handed weapon for the purpose of determining strength bonus to damage and modifiers to disarm rolls, but as a one-handed weapon in order to wield a second in your off-hand.
At 7th level,

Stylish Flurry: Your mastery of combat and huge weapon inspire dread in your foes. When hitting a foe with multiple attacks during a round, using a weapon larger than you, you may demoralize him as a free action. To make use of that ability, you must use power attack for at least a -1 penalty.
Additionally, you may make a Perform (Weapon Drill) check in place of an Intimidate check to demoralize foes, as well as Bluff checks to feint in combat.

Momentum:Sharp Wall:The Will to Cut: At 5th level, you learn how to crash your blade hard enough in your enemies that neither armor nor shield will let them stay up. This is treated just as a normal martial maneuver: you must ready it and expend it normally. It is a 5th level strike, and does not belong to any discipline. If this strike hits, it deals an additional 1d6 per initiator level points of damage to your opponent. If it misses, roll damage normally, but the strike deals only half that value, as nonlethal damage.

Swatting the Flies: Your weapon is massive enough to bludgeon ennemies to death, and is a bane smaller creatures. When you use a weapon one size larger than you, you may initiate a bull rush against creatures two size smaller than you as part of the attack. You do not have to enter its space. The creature is pushed five feet back for every 10 pts of damage your attack dealt, miminum five feet. When using a weapon two size categories larger than you, you may use this ability against creatures one size category smaller than you.
You may now choose to deal Bludgeoning damage with any two handed weapon instead of its normal damage type, without any penalty.
When hitting a swarm with an oversized weapon, you deal normal damage.

A Hot Knife Through Butter: At 7th level, you know how to punch harder than an angry red. When using Power Attack with at least a -5 penalty, you multiply by 1.5  all numeric variables of your damage rolls. Only your damage dices are empowered.

Sundering Cleave: You may strike even squeezed in a hallway, and chop through waves of soldiers in one slice. When you attack a foe through reach, you may strike all other enemies between you and your target. You use the same result on your attack roll, but may only threaten a critical hit to your main target. When squeezing, you may try to attack normally by slashing through the walls in one sweeping strike, in a way similar to attacking as noted above. If you manage to deal at least one point of damage to the surrounding objects, you may deal damage to your foe.  You may also use an oversized weapon while being swallowed whole.

Cut 'em in half: Like the Vorpal weapon enhancement, except you cut enemies of at least your size, and at most one category larger than your weapon, completely in half on a natural 20. This has appropriate effects, and also works on opponents that are otherwise immune to fort-saves. Doesn't work on swarms, as well as other creatures whose anatomy isn't impaired by such a gruesome fate, as oozes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 10:11:05 PM by Guyr Adamantine »

Nox_Noctis

• Hong Kong
  • A Simple Exchange
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2008, 10:25:40 PM »
Cut 'em in half: Like the Vorpal weapon enhancement, except you cut enemies of at least your size, and at most one category larger than your weapon, completely in half on a natural 20. This has appropriate effects, and also works on opponents that are otherwise immune to fort-saves. Doesn't work on swarms, as well as other creatures whose anatomy isn't impaired by such a gruesome fate, as oozes.

This makes finding a way to get a creature of Fine size to wield a Gargantuan weapon seem interesting (even if it's 1/20th of all attacks).
[spoiler]
[/spoiler]

Brainpiercing

• Hong Kong
  • Thread Killer
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2008, 08:46:14 AM »
Some comments:
Gorilla grip:
A REACH-weapon one size category larger than you adds 5ft of threat-range to your usual double-reach threat range. A reach-weapon two size categories larger than you adds 10ft to your threat-range in addition to your usual double-reach threat-range. Both only disallow attacking opponents withing your normal reach.

Swatting the Flies is semi-redundant if you have Knockback. It's not quite as good as Knockback, because Knockback allows auto-win with Power-attack. (Yeah, it's one CHEESY FEET.)

The Natural 20 must be a confirmed Crit.

How do you recover A Will to Cut? Can you add it to one martial class you belonged to before taking Strongarm Warrior? If you do, then you should pick at the time you select gain the level.

Now obviously this class is pretty powerful by now, even though the actual benefit of wielding large weapons isn't even that great. But it's an awesome style thing, and now wielding big stuff is actually good.

One further thing to note: Does Swatting the Flies allow a caster to cast Greater Mighty Wallop on you, even if you use a slashing or piercing weapon?
Greater Mighty Wallop is, as usually, the biggest cheese issue that remains with this class.