Author Topic: Movies Reviews/ Suggestions-- no spoilers!  (Read 66364 times)

Meg

• Message Board Extraordinaire
  • Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Are you rapier than me?
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
Movies Reviews/ Suggestions-- no spoilers!
« on: May 17, 2008, 04:35:33 PM »
We'll see if we need a board for Media entertainment-- I'm hoping yes, but in the meantime, a thread is good.

Our gaming party (Josh, Zeke and I and our couple friend) went to see Price Caspian last night.

I was interested in it, liked Narnia a lot, but was wholly taken aback by how awesome this movie was.

Amazing, incredible cinematography.

And man, this is definitely a Slam-Bam-Thank you Ma'am movie!  There is about 20 minutes of set up and then the action starts and doesn't stop until the very end. 

Acting is awesome.  The kids are even better than they were, the kid who is Price Caspian was amazing, and the whole race of Spanish-esque people provided for amazing, brooding eye candy. 

Only complaints- A lot of God.  That Jesus Lion grated on me a little, but that's straight from the book so I can't say too much.
End (without giving anything away)- Modern song plays and sort of takes you out of the moment.

But I strongly recommend it.  Maybe going in with few expectations is the way to go, but go none the less.
All of my updates are on twitter! 

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
Re: Movies Reviews/ Suggestions-- no spoilers!
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2008, 09:46:44 PM »
Seeing how this was opening weekend for the new Indiana Jones movie, we took the opportunity to go see Iron Man. I had seen previews and knew I would probably like the film, but I was really impressed on how good it was.

Robert Downey Jr. was tremendous in the role of Tony Stark/Iron Man. They really nailed the casting on that one. Terrence Howard and Gwyneth Paltrow were also very good for their roles.

The movie was very fast paced and the action was good. The dialog was very clever and there were plenty of moments that had everyone in the theater laughing out loud.

:D
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 04:54:14 PM »
Gunna agree on Caspian.  Great acting, music, and CG, but the Jesus detracted.  If you cut out the Jesus, then Caspian could be as good as Iron Man.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 03:10:38 PM »
Gunna agree on Caspian.  Great acting, music, and CG, but the Jesus detracted.  If you cut out the Jesus, then Caspian could be as good as Iron Man.
I hadn't thought of that, but I agree completely.
Ennies Nominees - Best Podcast 2009

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 09:01:58 PM »
I'm in physical pain to think this much less write it but...

The Happening sucked.  It wasn't good at all.  Writing, directing, acting, all of it.  Save your money.  Rent it if you must.

This is my angry voice.  Text written in red, by me, is  an official moderator "suggestion"

Want to meet me or the other Gameologists?  Check out where we'll be on the Conventions, Meetups and Events board!

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 09:34:01 PM »
Taking Aslan out of C.S. Lewis' books and movies based on his books defeats the purpose of the books - and the movies.  At least the Walden Media Group would probably not have a reason to carry it.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2008, 01:25:53 AM »
Taking Aslan out of C.S. Lewis' books and movies based on his books defeats the purpose of the books - and the movies.  At least the Walden Media Group would probably not have a reason to carry it.
Taking racism out of the KKK defeats the purpose of that group too.  Can't see what the problem would be?

This is not a commentary against religion rather the "virtues" espoused by this movie.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 01:27:17 AM »

The Happening sucked.  It wasn't good at all.  Writing, directing, acting, all of it.  Save your money.  Rent it if you must.

Quite possibly the worst movie ever.  There were two good jokes and some of the minor parts were well acted. 

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 01:58:02 AM »
Caspian was a mediocre movie.  It was decent, but far from mind blowing.  The books are far better.  Acting was good for the most part, I know some instances I was thinking that they could have done better.  They introduced completely irrelevant plot threads to the movie that just couldn't happen as well.  The CG was pretty well done though, that was one good point.  Cinematography was also good.  Though I fear that was the downfall, too much time spent on making it look sweet, and too little time on making it a good movie.  The Narnia tales have much potential, C. S. Lewis was a great story teller.  I was disappointed to see how it turned out.  Definitely did not live up to the expectations given by the trailers (especially the philosophy behind it).  I am wondering how you all thought it was such a great movie?  On a slightly related note: how many of you saw The Golden Compass?  I was excited to hear that it was made into a movie, but after I heard that it was made into one, I heard absolutely nothing else.  Was it good?  Bad?  Ugly?  Purdy?  A "sin against God"?

Iron Man, now that didn't live up quite to its expectations, but it's expectations were so high it doesn't even matter.  That one was a good movie.  Some issues with some acting, but mostly minor roles and hard to catch.  CG, well, that's done really well here.  Same with cinematography.  I definitely look forward to more Marvel adaptations, and hopefully the Hulk will not disappoint either.  I don't expect it to be as good as Iron Man, but hopefully it redeems itself for its other movie, and for the fact that I don't like the Hulk as much as other superheroes.  Maybe this one will make me like him.  He just seemed...superman-y in the other movie.  Anyways, back to glory.  The storyline wasn't too original (I mean, it's a superhero movie), but it was done in a way to remove many possible cliches.  This will be one of the top movies of this year.  The only question now: Dark Knight or Iron Man.  Which one takes the gold.  Then again, someone might surprise us.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Josh

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 02:13:37 AM »
Definitely did not live up to the expectations given by the trailers (especially the philosophy behind it).  I am wondering how you all thought it was such a great movie?  On a slightly related note: how many of you saw The Golden Compass?  I was excited to hear that it was made into a movie, but after I heard that it was made into one, I heard absolutely nothing else.  Was it good?  Bad?  Ugly?  Purdy?  A "sin against God"?

We hate the philosophy of prince caspian.  Pro sheep, trust in God don't do anything for yourself. 

PC was 20 minutes of boring foreplay followed by fighting, and some interludes to hear from the jesus lion.  The fighting was pretty good and the CGI is good too.  The foreplay was not too long and the jesus lion was not overpowering.

The golden compass movie was terrible, so God was pretty happy. 

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 03:50:26 AM »
I adore the Dark Materials series and was really excited for the Golden Compass and was insanely disappointed.  It just didn't get anything right and didn't even look super great to boot.  Not impressed. 

I actually just took out Price Caspian to re-read that since it's been... many many years.  Regardless though, I loved the movie.  Great action, looked beautiful, plot flowed well, didn't try to force too much in... wish the Jesus Lion had been a little more subtle, but other than that, I really liked it.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 01:12:05 AM »
Hulk was solid.  Better action than Iron Man, but weaker writing and music.  Iron Man was better, but Hulk is still a solid pick.

ImperiousLeader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 03:30:19 PM »

Eh, I'm just curious as to what Night's "twist" was, because I expected the movie to suck. His movies have all been a downward progression. He's got a very distinct style of filmmaking that has gotten rather tiresome, especially the half-stagey, half-stilted delivery of his dialogue.

I will +1 the recommendations for Iron Man, I really liked the movie.

bhu

• Organ Grinder
  • Convincing the rich whale fat enemas are healthy
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2008, 07:10:57 AM »
If you like melancholy, brooding horror films try The Last Winter.

It has Ron Pearlman :D

SOme of the cgi could be better in a scene or two, but beyond that for a direct to video film was good.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=mY_BXNvbr8E
trailer

Meg

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Man in Gorilla Suit
    • Brilliant Gameologists
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 04:20:17 PM »
Eh, I'm just curious as to what Night's "twist" was, because I expected the movie to suck.

There was no twist.  None. 

You know in the Village where there were sort of 2 twists?  One put out sort of early and then another at the very end?  This one had the "twist" put out pretty early in the movie and then there wasn't one at the end.

I'll put it in spoiler quotes just incase someone really doesn't want to know, but the way the movie is being marketed reveals the "twist" in most cases.  And it literally comes up about 1/2 an hour in.

[spoiler]It's a "eco" terror movie.  Trees and plants fight their new enemy, humans, by releasing something that shuts off our self-preservation safety switch.

Yep.  That's it.

So they describe it as the trees evolving to deal with the threat-- but that this evolution was like over the last couple of years with existing trees. 

And apparently shutting off our self preservation trigger means people want to kill themselves as quickly as possible.  It also apparently means pain is shut off too because there are a few pretty gruesome deaths.

There were so many unanswered questions and unexplained things, like people just freezing and walking backwards.  Also, in each case, there was someone who wasn't affected, watching everyone else be very strange.  And it was never addressed!!  I seriously thought that they'd start looking at the commonalities of the people who weren't affected and figure out "well I was on claradin" and realize "wait, if this is a pollen of sorts put out by trees, let's just all take antihistamines!"  But no!  Nothing![/spoiler]

The plot and different points were so all over the place, there were so many inconsistencies, there was no hope to fight back or solve the problem... It just really wasn't good.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 04:43:10 PM »
...That plot's almost as bad as Attack of the Killer Condoms.
My sig's Handy Haversack: Need help?  Want to see what I've done?  Want to see what others have done well?  Check it out.

Straw_Man

• Hong Kong
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 04:47:26 PM »
Eh, I'm just curious as to what Night's "twist" was, because I expected the movie to suck.

There was no twist.  None. 

You know in the Village where there were sort of 2 twists?  One put out sort of early and then another at the very end?  This one had the "twist" put out pretty early in the movie and then there wasn't one at the end.

I'll put it in spoiler quotes just incase someone really doesn't want to know, but the way the movie is being marketed reveals the "twist" in most cases.  And it literally comes up about 1/2 an hour in.

[spoiler]It's a "eco" terror movie.  Trees and plants fight their new enemy, humans, by releasing something that shuts off our self-preservation safety switch.

Yep.  That's it.

So they describe it as the trees evolving to deal with the threat-- but that this evolution was like over the last couple of years with existing trees. 

And apparently shutting off our self preservation trigger means people want to kill themselves as quickly as possible.  It also apparently means pain is shut off too because there are a few pretty gruesome deaths.

There were so many unanswered questions and unexplained things, like people just freezing and walking backwards.  Also, in each case, there was someone who wasn't affected, watching everyone else be very strange.  And it was never addressed!!  I seriously thought that they'd start looking at the commonalities of the people who weren't affected and figure out "well I was on claradin" and realize "wait, if this is a pollen of sorts put out by trees, let's just all take antihistamines!"  But no!  Nothing![/spoiler]

The plot and different points were so all over the place, there were so many inconsistencies, there was no hope to fight back or solve the problem... It just really wasn't good.

Sounds like the trainwreck has officially reached the station. Gods, and he did so well with Lady in Water, now I fear for the Avatar movie.
"No, no, don't think, Maya." Ritsuko chided. "We will not gattai the Evas or their pilots.

Such thoughts lead inevitably to transformation sequences."

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 05:00:46 PM »
That "twist" is made of Fael.

heffroncm

• Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 07:52:40 PM »
I saw "The Mist" recently.  It was alright.  Pretty standard survival horror throughout most.  I suggest sitting through it just for the ending.  I enjoyed, would not watch it again, and think it's worth watching if someone you know has rented it or some such.

dman11235

• Grape ape
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 08:10:31 PM »
Straw_Man, I've feared for the Avatar movie from the day I heard about it.  You are talking of The Last Airbender, and not Avatar, right?