Author Topic: Swordmage  (Read 1274 times)

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
Swordmage
« on: August 22, 2008, 08:38:38 AM »
Earth Gensai Swordmage 1

16 STR14 DEX12 WIS
14 CON16 INT08 CHA

At-Wills:
Booming Blade, Swordburst, Aegis of Shielding

Encounters:
Flame Cyclone, Earthshock

Daily:
Frost Backlash

Feats:
Quick Draw

So this is a Swordmage that I want to run.  I'm planning on using a Longsword (until I get proficiency with the Bastard Sword) and aiming for Heavy Blade Opportunity, Arcane Reach.  I think I'll want to take Student of Battle at some point.  Any other thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2008, 07:44:31 PM by PhoenixInferno »

X-Codes

• Organ Grinder
Re: Swordmage
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 09:30:30 AM »
Commander's Strike requires Paragon Multiclassing. =(

That said, Warlord multiclassing isn't a bad idea for a Swordmage.  Sunder Armor is one of those powers that never really gets old, and you can have 2 healing powers each encounter if you swap out your Utility 6.

You can get a Wizard at-will once per encounter with that feat, but otherwise you'll likely just be better off settling for a couple encounter/daily attacks from other classes.

anomalousman

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:55:19 AM »
Very flat stats.  I'd be pushing for 18 Int at the cost of Con or Wis.  I understand the attraction of both those stats, but hitting is good.

DemonLord57

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 10:26:42 AM »
From what we have right now, (it might, and probably will, change when FRPG comes out) I actually like the choice of Aegis of Shielding even if I have higher Str and crappy Con. The reason is not so much focused on the differences between the two themselves as the 3rd level encounter power available to the two. I either get a 1[W]+Int attacking a defense and push 2 instead of a basic attack after they've hit my ally or a 2[W]+Int attack against AC on top of the reduction in damage before they've hit my ally, and if I hit, they get teleported next to me, quite probably canceling their attack altogether. Very nice.

In any case, the choices in powers look good, except I'd pick up Booming Blade instead of Greenflame Blade, though I might switch them when I hit Paragon (I noticed that there unfortunately are no Arcane Reached Sword Bursts on OAs, as it doesn't have the weapon keyword.) I'd also advise getting higher Int, but I'm not quite sure where from... I'd probably bring Con to 13 and Wis to 10. Or Str to 15 and Wis to 10, if going Shielding. Losing 1 Will isn't much of a loss. You're gaining 1 Ref and +1 damage and hit.

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 10:29:04 AM »
Yeah, I thought Transposing Lunge and Blastback Swipe worked the same way until I read a little closer.

I was only wielding a 1-hander anyway. :-)

PhoenixInferno

• Hong Kong
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 07:46:22 PM »
Any thoughts on feats?  I think Hide armor will be required.

ImperiousLeader

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 12:57:11 PM »
Right now, there's not a lot, as it'll be a month before you get Genasi and Swordmage specific feats, so Blade Opportunist and Combat Reflexes are good ideas, improve the chances of hitting with an OA. Toughness?

At Paragon, Solid Sound is a good one, especially if you swap out for Booming Blade.