Author Topic: Sneak attack damage  (Read 1613 times)

Cavalry_Medic

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Sneak attack damage
« on: August 21, 2008, 06:16:15 PM »
Is there a rule somewhere that states sneak attack damage is the same as that what delivered it?  i.e. a flanker delivers a shocking grasp; sneak attack damage is also electrical.

If so, what happens if you sneak attack with multiple damage types?  does it default to hp damage?  does it default to weapon damage?
E.g. what happens if I sneak attack with a flaming short sword with poison that inflicts a base 4 hp piercing damage, 3 hp fire damage, and 3 points of temporary dex damage?

What happens if you sneak attack with only one source of non-hp damage, such as poison?

Any help pointing me in the right direction(s) would be appreciated.

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
Re: Sneak attack damage
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:20:39 PM »
Sneak attack deals damage of a type that is used to make the sneak attack. I.e. you use a bludgeoning weapon, and the SA will be bludgeoning damage. Use a piercing, and it will be piercing. It doesn't matter if the weapon is flaming/frost/etc. The core weapon used to make the attack is what the SA damage will be.

This is equally true for spells. A shocking grasp spell will do electricity damage, since that is the spell used to deal the damage. This rule is clarified on page 86 of Complete Arcane.
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Cavalry_Medic

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
Re: Sneak attack damage
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 06:27:49 PM »
The reference to CAp86 was helpful, thank you!