Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 104558 times)

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #100 on: October 06, 2008, 11:11:51 AM »
The Professor and the Madman - Story of the creation of the OED.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

Brandon

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
« Reply #101 on: October 06, 2008, 11:34:18 AM »
Saturn's Children by Charles Stross

Reaction and Reform: The Politics of the Conservative Party Under R. B. Bennett - 1927-1938, by Larry Glassford

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #102 on: October 08, 2008, 03:52:34 AM »
"Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide to United States Military Combat Shotguns"

Enlightening!

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #103 on: October 08, 2008, 09:33:09 PM »
Finally, on book 5 of the Belgariad series. Frakking school and life takes away SOOO much book reading time.

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

Johannixx

• Bi-Curious George
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2008, 01:25:48 AM »
Finally, on book 5 of the Belgariad series. Frakking school and life takes away SOOO much book reading time.

How is that series?  I've heard good things, but I've never had the time to read them.

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2008, 05:35:45 AM »
I love all of the characters. If it's one thing Eddings and his wife can do, it's develop characters... and overarching plots.

I think it's entertaining. It's a typical good guy versus bad guy fantasy story, but it's really neat the way they write it.

READ THEM.  :D

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #106 on: October 09, 2008, 11:07:32 AM »
It's a cute series.
Each character has a schtick and sticks to it : you've got the Devious guy, the Lawful Stupid guy, etc...

I like it but I read it when I was young. I don't know how I'd find it if I read it for the first time now.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: October 09, 2008, 01:25:36 PM »
Yeah, you make a good point. Eddings does write cute. *shrugs* AC still likes the series. He just recently re-read them all. And I like them...
« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 01:28:47 PM by BobismyRhino »

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #108 on: October 09, 2008, 11:05:00 PM »
I'm not attacking your taste. :D
I liked them the last time I re-read them, maybe 2 years ago. But re-reads are different, they're more like meeting old friends :) - hence the caveat.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Wolfsbaine

• Monkey bussiness
« Reply #109 on: October 09, 2008, 11:21:06 PM »
I'm grinding through "The Good, the Bad, and the Undead" by Kim Harrison.  It is book 2 in her series of books.

Book 1 was ok, book 2 just isn't doing it for me right now.

---
Edited to say:  I just finished this book and wow the second half really picked up.  The plot elements all came together nicely, answered questions from book 1, and setup book 3 onwards very nicely.
---

I just finished the Dresden series up to book 9.  I love that series and can't wait to pick up book 10 in paperback.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2008, 04:11:22 AM by Wolfsbaine »

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #110 on: October 15, 2008, 02:12:44 PM »
its been ages, but i broke down and read the first 3 of the True blood books, (Southern Vampire series)..

will probably finish the series...

its not high art, but it passes my time at work.. and i know who the killer in season one is...
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #111 on: October 15, 2008, 03:02:56 PM »
Marley & Me by John Grogan

So many people have told me I should read this since we got our Lab, that when I saw it at a garage sale for 75 cents I went ahead and snagged it. Not too far in at the moment, but it's possible that I paid too much...  :-\
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: October 15, 2008, 03:06:41 PM »
Aww I thought that book was cute. It made me miss my doggy so much! I think the stories are funny, but that's just me.

Kai

• (rhymes with pie)
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Donkey Kong
  • Don't panic!
« Reply #113 on: October 19, 2008, 10:47:21 PM »
Truth be told, now that I'm further in I'm liking it more. I still have major issues with the owners (buying a pup without doing any research on breeds, not starting training sooner, not neutering sooner, etc.), and there's more "Me" than "Marley", but some of the stories are really cute and remind me of River, the way she rides in the car (front paws propped on the center console, little head swiveling back and forth to see everything), our ongoing efforts to get the concept of fetch into her head... "Within weeks, we we had a hard time remembering what life had been like without our new boarder." That pretty much says it all.
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." ~Mahatma Gandhi

InnaBinder

• Grape ape
  • OnnaTable
    • Okay - - Your Turn: Monte Cook's Message Board
« Reply #114 on: October 20, 2008, 12:22:50 AM »
Talon Of The Silver Hawk, By Raymond E. Fiest.  I finally broke down and bought everything that I know of set in Midkemia so I can stop guessing at what he's referencing in later books.

The Fifth Elephant, by Terry Pratchett.  Again  :D.  I was crushed when I heard about his health crisis.

The History Of The Pelopennesian War, by Thucydides.  No, it's not required reading, as I'm not in school.
Winning an argument on the internet is like winning in the Special Olympics.  You won, but you're still retarded.

I made a Handbook!?

AndyJames

• Organ Grinder
  • Meep?
« Reply #115 on: October 20, 2008, 12:31:04 AM »
I love all of the characters. If it's one thing Eddings and his wife can do, it's develop characters... and overarching plots.

I think it's entertaining. It's a typical good guy versus bad guy fantasy story, but it's really neat the way they write it.

READ THEM.  :D

The problem with the Eddings is that they recycle those archetypes. Read one of their series and you tend to have read all of them. The Belgariad is more or less the same as the first series in the Sparhawk books (the Elenium?), which is close to the Dreamers series. The Mallorean is about the same as the second Sparhawk series. Take a look at Book 1 of the Dreamers and tell me if Redbeard doesn't scream "Barak!!" at you.

A couple of the newer writers that I have found to be quite good is Anne Bishop (Black Jewel Trilogy, The Invisible Ring, Landscapes of Ephemera Duology) and Donna Gillespie (The Lightbringer). The Black Jewel Trilogy is very atypical of fantasy stories. You'll have to read it to get how different it is. The Lightbringer is pretty heavy going, and requires some knowledge of Roman history circa 70AD to get the full impact, but even without, it is pretty darned good.

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #116 on: October 20, 2008, 10:01:20 AM »
well, im 5 books into that sookie stackhouse series... it aint great..

the author is painting her self into a corner... but since i dont have book 6 handy i have moved on to discworld.

never read any of the dw books before, im starting with nanny oggs cookbook.. pretty funny...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 10:18:43 AM by altpersona »
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Hallack

• Hong Kong
« Reply #117 on: October 20, 2008, 11:17:49 AM »
Furies of Calderon by Jim Butcher.  Well, actually just finished and hope to get second in series today.

Man, Economy, and State by Murray Rothbard
Placeholder - T'tosc

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #118 on: October 20, 2008, 02:46:13 PM »
The Dark Side: The Inside Story of How the War on Terror Turned Into a War on American Ideals - by Jane Mayer

It's always interesting to read what the government gets away with, what kinds of false information everyone receives, and how our so-called morals are disintegrating before our very eyes. Or maybe they aren't to some, a lot of people seem to not know what they are, or should be for that matter.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: October 20, 2008, 05:23:59 PM »
Man, Economy, and State by Murray Rothbard
A friend of mine bought this a few weeks back, but haven't had the chance to read it yet, so I'll ask you: Is it any good?

Handy Links