Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 104568 times)

FraserRonald

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
  • Alliegance: Beer
    • Sword's Edge Publishing
    • Email
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #60 on: September 04, 2008, 11:13:06 AM »
The Three Musketeers were almost totally different genres altogether. The book was much more gritty, with intrigue and betrayal and loss and all that. The movie was more a humour-filled romp of a period piece. I have to say that Oliver Platt was really good as Porthos. Can't really compare the two, though.
I cannot suggest strongly enough that if you want to see a near perfect the Three Musketeers movie, you must see Richard Lester's. The Four Musketeers follows the second half of the novel, and its tone mirrors it--while the first half of the Three Musketeers is very "swashbuckling" and is pretty much D'Artagnan's story, the second half is darker as it's pretty much Athos' story.

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »
I went out of my way to read things like The Art of War, Paradise Lost, and The Aeneid. I liked em.
What, did you read it before LatinIV?
Oops. Meant the Iliad. Go me.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Stratovarius

• Hong Kong
  • Player Resource Consortium
    • Player Resource Consortium
    • Email
« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2008, 01:14:48 PM »
Have read the Aeneid in English as well as in Latin, although the latter was a struggle. I find the epic poem style a bit flowery, partly because it uses epithets to fit the metre.

Currently on Makers of England, a history of the creation of England.
Arhosa Campaign World - Always Recruiting
Past, Present, and Future
Osteomancy - Rune Magic - Astral Magic
Class and Rule Collection
Player Resource Consortium
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die

BobismyRhino

• Hong Kong
  • *baby Bob kiss* MUAH!
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2008, 02:38:49 PM »
I'm 70+ pages into book 3 of Belgariad...

People usually think that I've lost my mind. I haven't lost it, I know exactly where it is: the gutter.

My body is a temple. That is why I make chocolate sacrifices in it every day.

TheWordSlinger

• Bi-Curious George
  • Nunc est bibendum
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2008, 03:41:11 PM »
Have read the Aeneid in English as well as in Latin, although the latter was a struggle. I find the epic poem style a bit flowery, partly because it uses epithets to fit the metre.
I think that's partially the point. That was one of my favorite aspects of the epics. I wasn't a fan of the ten different proper noun names for everything. Speaking of epic poems, The Inferno was an interesting and enjoyable read. I haven't gotten around to reading the rest of the Divine Comedy, but I will some day...
Currently playing:
Forte Lulz, Chaotic EVIL Bard bent on world domination;
Canere Potentia, to sing of power.
Aralaxax, Warforged Osteomancer, Machines are my people, I wield bones as other wield swords.
Randall Gray, she's not sexually confused, honest!
Zion "I can make followers, but why bother when people line up for me?"
Currently DMing: Real Men Use Their Hands, World's Largest Dungeon
"If you can pretend to be a half-orc barbarian or a dwarf wizard then you can pretend to be an alpha male."-Ninjarabbit
"The hotel shop only had two decent books, and I'd written both of them."-Douglas Adams
"It's funny how the Earth never opens up and swallows you when you want it to." Xander Harris, Buffy the Vampire Slayer

AfterCrescent

• Honorary Moderator
  • Organ Grinder
  • Here After
« Reply #65 on: September 05, 2008, 06:12:06 PM »
So last week I started reading Guilty Pleasures (Book 1 of the Anita Blake series) because it was highly recommended to me.  It's a modern fantasy novel, and although it carries the "Vampire book" title, the series is good old fashioned dark fantasy. I'm already a quarter of the way through book 4 now... :D
The cake is a lie.
Need to play table top? Get your game on at:
Brilliant Gameologists' PbP Forum. Do it, you know you want to.
The 3.5 Cleric Handbook
The 13th Guard - An alternate history campaign idea.
Clerics just wake up one morning and decide they need to kick ass, and it needs to be kicked NOW. ~veekie

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: September 05, 2008, 06:47:00 PM »
Dude, thats a pretty good series.  I got my girlfriend hooked on them, now she owns them all.  There's also a graphic novel of Guilty Pleasures (which she got me for our anniversary, actually). 

Something happened in Laurel Hamilton's life around 2000, though, because she started getting really into the erotica aspect of... everything.  You'll see.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Smudgy

• Curious George
« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2008, 08:47:27 PM »
Just started reading Beowulf for my AP English class. Certainly looks like it's going to be fun!  ;)

altpersona

• Organ Grinder
  • BG forum Emperor Ad Litem
    • Altpersona.net
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2008, 10:18:41 PM »
beowulf was like a deep well in bedrock... i couldnt dig it..
The goal of power is power. - idk
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow

The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga sux.

Omen of Peace

• Hong Kong
  • Wise Madman
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2008, 10:21:14 PM »
So when I was done re-reading the Douglas Adams series I picked up more books by Steven Brust (Athyra & Orca) and damn they get better along the way. The first 3 (Jhereg, Yendi, Teckla) got me thinking "nice, in an easy kind of way" but most of the following ones are damn cool ! Now I'm going to have to buy all of them...

I'm re-reading Pratchett in parallel - maybe I'll get on to more serious books at some point.
The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Steven Erikson

Irthos Levethix

• Donkey Kong
  • We're all a little mad here
    • Email
« Reply #70 on: September 06, 2008, 11:55:17 AM »
I just picked up Imajica, by Clive Barker.  I've read the first half once before, but now I've got the complete book so I can actually finish the story.  Weaveworld is another good one by him, if anyone's read it.
Run, my pretty little chunks of XP!! - Belkar Bitterleaf

92% Tactician 83% Method Actor 75% Min/Maxer         Thats 250% of Gamer, bitches!

Arcane-surge

• That monkey with the orange ass cheeks
« Reply #71 on: September 06, 2008, 12:39:18 PM »
I've got Weaveworld. It was a pretty good time.
This space intentionally left blank.

Shewolf

• Barbary Macaque at the Rock of Gibraltar
« Reply #72 on: September 23, 2008, 04:43:00 AM »
Right now I'm reading Titus Groan, the first book in the Gormenghast trilogy...this is about the 2nd or 3rd time I've done so.
I got lucky, scouring used book stores for years to find the whole trilogy. I buy used books whenever I can avoid buying new, that and the fact that at the time, the trilogy was out of print...Which is of course, frustrating, because when I started reading the second book in the trilogy, the spine cracked in half, and now the book is back in print and I think I may bend my principles and buy the damn thing new.

But anyhow, it's an interesting read, which says a lot, as I normally cant stomach these epic, sprawling, plodding high fantasy novels. (Don't stone me to death in the streets here, but to this day I have not finished the Lord of the Rings trilogy)

j0lt

• Hong Kong
  • Browncoat
« Reply #73 on: September 23, 2008, 07:16:53 AM »
But anyhow, it's an interesting read, which says a lot, as I normally cant stomach these epic, sprawling, plodding high fantasy novels. (Don't stone me to death in the streets here, but to this day I have not finished the Lord of the Rings trilogy)

Are you kidding, it took me four tries to get through the bloody first book, and it took the announcement of the movies to give me the fortitude to read through that wasteland.

Here's a BRIEF synopsis of the first half of Fellowship:
[spoiler]Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippin start walking.
And talking.
And walking.
And singing.
And walking.
And having dinner with the flippin' elves!
And walking...

You get my point.  :p
[/spoiler]

Then came the Peter Jackson films, which were SO much more enjoyable.  I think I would've cried if he hadn't cut out that infernally annoying Tom Bombadil!

As far as what I'm reading right now, I'm still looking for something.  I just read Stephen King's The Stand a while ago, so I may just continue on to the Dark Tower series.  Any suggestions?
PbP Games
The Artifact (prologue) as Dr. Henry Loder, Mayan archaeologist

Vas

• Ring-Tailed Lemur
    • Email
« Reply #74 on: September 23, 2008, 07:23:12 AM »
If you want a very well written story, interesting in both plot and in the different way the magic system is tackled, check out the Mistborn trilogy, so far its up to the second book with the final one coming out october. Its by Brandon Sanderson. Very very well written, great twists, and the magic system is really original and thought out.
And the really cool thing is the first book could be a stand alone in its own right, even though the second book is also very well done for a middle of trilogy book.

I reccomend highly :D
If you\'re an army barber, does that mean you make a living shaving privates?

The definition of Irony: If Terri Irwin drove a Sazuki Stingray

SixthDeclension

• King Kong
  • "Wit is educated insolence."
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2008, 09:16:34 AM »
Started Dante's Divine Comedy the other day.
My choice place for buying Magic: the Gathering Singles: adventuresOn.com

Currently DMing a Solo PbP, Check it out here

Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
That host with their banners at sunset were seen:
Like the leaves of the forest when Autumn hath blown,
That host on the morrow lay withered and strown.

Ubernoob

• Man in Gorilla Suit
  • Happy Panda
    • Email
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2008, 11:19:38 AM »
I think I would've cried if he hadn't cut out that infernally annoying Tom Bombadil!
The lack of Tom Bombadil was my only disappointment in the movies.
Ubernoob is a happy panda.

jcm

• Domesticated Capuchin Monkey
  • I am information man
« Reply #77 on: September 23, 2008, 11:19:44 AM »

I think that's an age thing. Between the ages of 8 and 18 I read the entire trilogy at least 10 times and loved every minute of it. I start to read it now and discover a million other things I'd rather be doing. The last time I managed to finish them was to refresh my memory for the movies.

I think the Gormenghast books are a pretty good read though. The BBC mini-series version is really worth looking up too.

Tshern

• Clown Prince of Crime
  • Organ Grinder
  • Aistii valoa auttavasti
    • Email
« Reply #78 on: September 23, 2008, 11:56:52 AM »
Just bought my own copy of Jennifer Government. Need to refresh my memory a bit.

Handy Links

Zeke

• Brilliant Gameologist
  • Bi-Curious George
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: September 23, 2008, 02:55:28 PM »
I am reading Jennifer Government now